FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Footwork question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footwork question
    Posted: 06/24/2019 at 4:41pm
Assuming you are in position to hit a Fh without moving, should your feet rotate as you turn into the backswing?

When I hit flat footed they do not rotate.  When I am on my toes on slick concrete they rotate quite a bit.  When I am on my toes on rubber flooring they rotate a little.

Is this a shoe problem, a technique problem, or just the way things work?

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 06/24/2019 at 4:42pm
Sponsored Links

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 6:03pm
I think they rotate a little to allow more upper body rotation. 
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 6:22pm
You remind me of my lazy fh hard forearm hit when I am not fast enough to pivot and the ball catches me in the elbow on my bh corner: I go ave maria along the bh line and it's kind of stable when you know it's possible --> it's a very ugly shot but oh my! it's worth 2 points, one for the score and one for the mental boost. It gives the same emotional reward than when we land on the other side than the opponent is going to and they just watch the ball passing by or catch it with their free hand, in which case it is not nice to say "good catch!!!" as Bill Ryan from San Diego told me once at Yiyong Fan's club in 2009 I think. 
For the little story, Bill and mjamja have something in common: Bill and his wife used to drive up north to Vancouver, BC in one shot from San Diego before the summer. Then they'd drive their motorhome back home stopping by every city having a tt club, not necessarily following route 101. His LP and windshield wiper blocking style was hard to get used to, the bh block was lethal and the rallies were lasting for ever. He had to stop playing due to a heart condition from what I remember and it broke his...game.

Edited by stiltt - 06/24/2019 at 6:25pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2019 at 6:02pm
I was talking about that dirty shot that works at any level, even at the top:

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2019 at 8:08am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Assuming you are in position to hit a Fh without moving, should your feet rotate as you turn into the backswing?
Mark
 Everybody is different, no need for the word 'should'
The Older I get, The better I was.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2019 at 7:22pm
They should if you don’t want to put too much stress on the knees.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Agreed 100%
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2019 at 8:46pm
It depends how you accept your participation in tt. If you play for fun - better don't move so much and keep your body for another activities. If you look to hit the ball stronger you must definitely look to make rotation with all your body during each stroke. Excluding the moments you have not enough time to react faster to the ball you must compensate with your wrist and to go down a little bit more with your knees. That's all I think.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2019 at 1:48am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Agreed 100%
Ever played on Taraflex or Gerfloor ? you are likely to put more stress on your knees by doing that because your feet won't rotate.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic