Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dealing with muscular soreness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 5:26am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Some great answers here.
Another perhaps more fundamental solution involves learning to relax your limbs when making your table tennis strokes.
I have been playing and training for 50+ years. For the first 25 I experienced terrible tennis elbow to the extent of considering stopping altogether. Then I got some very good advice to learn to loosen up my grip and relax my stroke and within a couple of years the elbow inflammation which had been a constant companion disappeared almost completely.
Before this I had just accepted that pain was a normal result of intense effort using the stories of Rod Laver icing his elbow as justification. Now I know better and mostly just suffer the normal lactic acid related aches
Drop here!

I think that's a very good and very relevant advice. 
I had (and I am still in the risk zone) tennis elbow repeatedly and I also have an intuitive feeling that properly relaxing your arm could be a big part of solution to it. My FH technique is pretty good (it's EU - Timo Boll'ish style Embarrassed) and it's pretty relaxed except the times when I wan't to make an all powerful all spinny topspin kill shot. At those moments my arm get's all locked to transmit maximum power from my upper body and I think that at these moment some damage to my tendon maybe added. I am trying to relax my arm at those particular moments when chasing the killshot... but that's sort of counterintuitive or smth and I am not that successful at those instances
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Sponsored Links

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 5:40am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I often have soreness in my lower back and glutes. Any good targeted exercises, esp. for lower back?

Lower back problems are often caused by lower body front and back muscle group imbalances. Soreness should indicate, that these muscle groups are weaker compared to other groups. More usually the case with the lower back soreness is that it is the outcome of some other muscle groups being weaker. 
And as you mentioned glutes are a very common cause. Try stretching lower back and strengthen glutes. Also it is a common case, that the problem is not with gluteus maximus (the big outer most muscle), but with gluteus medius (smaller muscle behind gluteus maximus), so look for exercises specifically for different gluteus muscle groups and see if your back is getting better in time. There are a lot of exercises and stretches on internet. But just wanted to state the obvious, first of all, go to the doctor Smile
Drop here!

Edited by Simas - 12/23/2019 at 5:42am
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 5:51am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I often have soreness in my lower back and glutes. Any good targeted exercises, esp. for lower back?

The issue is usually the twisting and turning at the lumbar region which should really be braced properly. I find that if I actively brace the lumbar region I don't have any lower back soreness at all. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Then I got some very good advice to learn to loosen up my grip and relax my stroke and within a couple of years the elbow inflammation which had been a constant companion disappeared almost completely. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I think that soreness is almost inevitable in any hard work no matter how fit you are, but relaxation sure should help because when you are tense, a hard work is "harder". I think proper rest of the muscles (and specially having good sleep at night) are the best medicine for soreness. Concerning the </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">stretching of some muscles after workout, I don't know if scientific evidence shows that is useful or not, but at least for me a very light strechting of my legs' muscles after workout "feels good".</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">But </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">relaxation seems to be not only good to the player's health, but also a </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">key factor for stroke efficiency.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">A kind of "lost secret" that is well known by every player in theory but that not many people know how to make it part of their real ping pong life (including me).And when someone could achieve it, I'm always looking forward to hear how he did it.</span>
So would you mind sharing some specifics of that advice that you received and how did you manage to make of it an habit?
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>

hi makalele
unfortunately its quite difficult to pin down exactly why i finally managed to relax wih with grip and strokes. I respected my coach and he was able to demonstrate his very relaxed style. He would say loosen up and I did! I just focused on it every time I practised, and in matches I tried to think about relaxed technique rathe than winning and losing. really the pain was so bad with the elbow that it was clear to me that I had to change or stop playing.
It would have been far better if i had learnt better relaxed technique from the start
moreover now that I coach beginners i have become aware that its very difficult to teach youngsters to loosen up as the cause is often psychological.
i once taught a kid with really awful tense uncoordinated strokes who couldnt combine backhand and forehand at all in spite of his strong motiivation. One day just for a change I asked him to try trad penhold bh instead of his normal shakehand style, and to my surprise he started executing a good trad ph block Immediately- and he looked relaxed ! so i asked him to try ph fh and again he performed correct and relaxed. He told me he had never even thought about ph before
my conclusion ? not that he was a born ph player but that asking him to do a completely foreign stroke released him from all the subconscious inhibitions that mentally blocked him from learning at first. After a few ph sessions i tried him on shakehands again and he started to stroke much better. however a year later when he started competition, started to stiffen and show bad coordination under pressure for instance even though his strokes now seemed ok, his error rate with 3rd ball was terrible.
so perhaps if you have an inborn tendency towards tension its difficult to overcome
sorry this is a long way of saying "its all in the mind"

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 12/23/2019 at 10:04am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2019 at 11:01am
Many time muscle soreness comes from bad shoes! Make sure that the shoes you play with have proper support, etc for you size, and are designed for table tennis. This will definitely improve muscle soreness. Always make sure before you go all out at practice etc, to have a quick 5 min stretch/warm up session! Drink plenty of water!
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2019 at 11:04pm
@pingpongaddy:

Relaxing while playing is not a bad suggestion, but it is easier said than done!!!
You see, there are folks like me who picked up bad habits and it took a long time to undo the damage. You see I used to use my wrist too much. So in order to use my forearm rather than my wrist I do have to maintain my wrist more stiff by keeping some tension. It is very hard to relax and not revert to "wristy" shots. 

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 12/27/2019 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic