Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Positioning after a stroke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Positioning after a stroke
    Posted: 12/07/2006 at 11:40am
I noticed that I'm consistant if I stand in one position. I do chopping, and I can do consistant chopping if my opponent returns to the same backhand position all the time. The problem is if the opponent hits the ball (or pushes) to my forehand. I move from my backhand position to forehand, and makes a mistake sometimes, because I've to reach further to hit it.

The question is, after every stroke, do you have to position in the middle of the table or move in the opposite direction (to 'side' and to 'in') to take the next stroke, to be consistant.

What tips you guys can give me to be consistant in the game if the opponent pushes or do a lot of underspin. A coach advised me that I'm consistant when I'm at a study position, but not consistant when I start moving, or the opponent speeds up the game.

Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I noticed that I'm consistant if I stand in one position. I do chopping, and I can do consistant chopping if my opponent returns to the same backhand position all the time. The problem is if the opponent hits the ball (or pushes) to my forehand. I move from my backhand position to forehand, and makes a mistake sometimes, because I've to reach further to hit it.

You should always be in balance: when you step to the ball always bring you other foot with you. From your photos your balance looks bad.

Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

The question is, after every stroke, do you have to position in the middle of the table or move in the opposite direction (to 'side' and to 'in') to take the next stroke, to be consistant.

not always middle of table. BETWEEN your opps best WIDEST angle to BH and FH
Once you play your shot return to ready position ready to play fh or bh.
Important: complete your return to readiness just before yr shot bounces on opp half of table. If it was too late, you should pause and look where your opp plays next shot.
If you practice this you will improve a lot.(its difficult even when both players push, try it!)
When yr opp hits shot you should not move untill you know where he aims!! otherwise he sends other way!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2006 at 7:54pm
Footwork, work on it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 8:16am

Thanks guys for the tips. I would like to thank pingpongpaddy.

Combination of footwork with 'readiness' (as pingpongdaddy said) is the greatest weapon.

alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 8:59am

the shot you make will decide the position you should take to recieve the next shot i.e. lets say both players are RH and if you make a shot wide to his FH corner you should move towards your FH corner as he has to hit across the table.

If you hit the ball to his BH but not really wide then stand perhaps slightly to the left of the center line so that you can cover any down the line shot with your FH and also cover croscourt BH shots,in other words go in the opposite direction to where you have hit the ball 

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 12:33pm
This is a great advise. But this works when the shots are long. When the shots are short - more like push, this may not work.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 2:32pm
If you get into the right location and position quicker (footwork), then you will have time to get steady to make a better shot.

Anticipate where you have to go, go there quickly, then get your shot ready.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 4:42pm
im just curious as to how you manage to chop with schlager carbon, bryce, and tackifire s
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2006 at 7:01pm
I use Long Pips (Flint III) on the BH. I love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic