Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

habit of moving towards the ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: habit of moving towards the ball
    Posted: 12/06/2020 at 9:30pm
Still have a bad habit of not moving to hit the ball unfortunately and was wondering if there's any tips/shortcuts to reprogram the brain to do so?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2020 at 10:05pm
You can use some restrictive stuff to do that - so that you can not get to the ball if not move.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

You can use some restrictive stuff to do that - so that you can not get to the ball if not move.

What sort of restrictive stuff?
-------
Viscaria

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2020 at 10:16pm
The easiest is just to press something like your paddle case or table tennis ball if you don't have one in your armpit.
And actually there are plenty of supportive stuff for your legs, arms etc.

Edited by Valiantsin - 12/06/2020 at 10:20pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

What sort of restrictive stuff?

Tie your upper arm to your body at the elbow. You will have no choice but to move and use your body. My coach has threatened me many times with it. Big smile
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2020 at 7:33pm
A big problem I also have is forwards and backwards movement. I feel like I'm leaping forward to hit the ball more than I should. It nearly always results in a low quality ball or miss. I need to reprogram myself to move forward then hit the ball.

Not really an answer to the question since I don't really have one except consciously thinking about it until it's fixed haha.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2020 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

A big problem I also have is forwards and backwards movement. I feel like I'm leaping forward to hit the ball more than I should. It nearly always results in a low quality ball or miss. I need to reprogram myself to move forward then hit the ball.

Not really an answer to the question since I don't really have one except consciously thinking about it until it's fixed haha.

You should try to out these exercises:

1. When warming up your partner plays 2 topspins, he counters the next ball and you step back and  play 2 topspins (that way you need do move back then attack and move back in to block, helps with he general feeling for moving in and out)

2. You play 1 forehand from forehand close to the table, then take a step back and play another one, next forehand from the middle (still away from the table) and then move into the table to play a forehand from the middle. That way you form a square (close fhand off table forehand from forehand and then off table from middle and close table fh from middle)

Edited by Tt Gold - 12/08/2020 at 4:32am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2020 at 9:00pm

Still have a bad habit of not moving to hit the ball unfortunately and was wondering if there's any tips/shortcuts to reprogram the brain to do so?

The main thing is to loop with the body on both forehand and backhand (twist for forehand, bow for backhand) and develop an "arm structure" which is the base for the ready position and all your strokes.  So when you want to play a stroke, it is about getting that arm structure the ball and not reaching for it.  If you don't have this structure, you tend to reach for the ball before you move.  Requires significant drilling.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 4:30am
As one coach told me, if you need to improve your footwork, you need to get used to jumping into your backswing on every shot.  I have a friend who calls this jumping into the backswing when you don't have to move a "reset hop", because it puts you in balance to play the shot even when you hit a large shot without moving.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 4:35am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As one coach told me, if you need to improve your footwork, you need to get used to jumping into your backswing on every shot.  I have a friend who calls this jumping into the backswing when you don't have to move a "reset hop", because it puts you in balance to play the shot even when you hit a large shot without moving.
Agree, Ryu is probably the best example for that. When trying to pivot, this technique is crucial and allows you to play a lot more ball from the backhand side with your forehand.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 5:09pm
Thanks for all the good tips here :)
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 5:12pm

I think you can just place your right leg to the front, and you'll be able to get into position easily. A lot of FH shorter opportunity balls are looped with the right leg well in front of the left leg (for a righty that is). My understanding is that the right foot placement follows the depth of the ball. So if you have a fast deep ball, your right leg needs to go backwards, if it's short then your right leg needs to go forward. 

Edited by blahness - 12/08/2020 at 5:14pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That seems super useful! I found something similar to block well (jumping into the backswing), so it does seem like it should be the same for attacking shots.
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

1. When warming up your partner plays 2 topspins, he counters the next ball and you step back and  play 2 topspins (that way you need do move back then attack and move back in to block, helps with he general feeling for moving in and out)

2. You play 1 forehand from forehand close to the table, then take a step back and play another one, next forehand from the middle (still away from the table) and then move into the table to play a forehand from the middle. That way you form a square (close fhand off table forehand from forehand and then off table from middle and close table fh from middle)

I like those exercises! Thank you. Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I don't know why I have just identified this as a weakness of mine but never actually worked on it. I'll give them a shot!

I think you can just place your right leg to the front, and you'll be able to get into position easily. A lot of FH shorter opportunity balls are looped with the right leg well in front of the left leg (for a righty that is). My understanding is that the right foot placement follows the depth of the ball. So if you have a fast deep ball, your right leg needs to go backwards, if it's short then your right leg needs to go forward. 

I think this works well for opening against underspin against half-long balls that are barely long. I think I'm okay with these balls. The ones I struggle more with are the ones that are a little high, but a little short. Usually these balls result in my previous ball getting my opponent out of position, having more spin than they expected, or having them barely react and just like touching the ball onto the table, usually with an awkward swipe. They definitely feel like opportunity balls. But my consistency against them is bad. Sometimes it's the same with short pips blocks, too. The ones that are a lot more passive.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2020 at 7:03pm

Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I like those exercises! Thank you. Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I don't know why I have just identified this as a weakness of mine but never actually worked on it. I'll give them a shot!

I think this works well for opening against underspin against half-long balls that are barely long. I think I'm okay with these balls. The ones I struggle more with are the ones that are a little high, but a little short. Usually these balls result in my previous ball getting my opponent out of position, having more spin than they expected, or having them barely react and just like touching the ball onto the table, usually with an awkward swipe. They definitely feel like opportunity balls. But my consistency against them is bad. Sometimes it's the same with short pips blocks, too. The ones that are a lot more passive.

I think I understand what you're talking about now.

Personally I found it very hard to loop FH short opportunity ball (those which are high but will definitely bounce twice or more if untouched), and the consistency is really bad. I no longer try to loop those anymore, but to use the FH flick. I've made some huge progress with my FH flick in recent weeks, and the basic gist is that it is very similar to the FH loop that you need the support of the whole body, so you absolutely need to power it using weight transfer and upper body rotation, it's not just an arm only movement (which doesn't work against high spin balls unless you have Waldner touch). So I'm thinking rotate the body into the ball when I do the flick and it's worked wonders for my consistency. 

I think it's also very helpful to not try to kill the ball outright with these short balls because they're really tricky and you definitely need the consistency. A better mindset would be to vary the placement and spin (you have the normal diagonal version and the fade version) based on your opponent's body positioning, so that you can get them out of position and be in a good position to kill the next ball. Sometimes if the opponent fears the flick and retreats prematurely, doing a sudden dropshot of these opportunity balls is a killer as they'll have to reverse their backwards momentum to come forward significantly. 

Alternatively just be fast on the feet enough to use the BH chiquita which is super good against any kind of short opportunity balls (and even non-opportunity balls, as long as they are not low with heavy underspin) Tongue

Edited by blahness - 12/10/2020 at 7:14pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic