Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serve receive return pace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serve receive return pace
    Posted: 03/28/2021 at 10:17am
Timo Boll seems to wait a lot bit longer than other players before acting (moving) for serve receive.  I have tried to learn from him to receive a little late to increase receive consistence.

I usually have no problem with short serve. But for longer serves, sometimes I feel I respond without really watching the ball. 

My question is how one can see or train himself to see the ball bouncing from his own table before acting for return? I particularly have problem with long serve with a lot of side spin. I feel that I kind of rush to return and usually have bad return (completely miss or low quality return).

Do you usually watch the ball bouncing from the table before return?
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Timo Boll seems to wait a lot bit longer than other players before acting (moving) for serve receive.  I have tried to learn from him to receive a little late to increase receive consistence.

I usually have no problem with short serve. But for longer serves, sometimes I feel I respond without really watching the ball. 

My question is how one can see or train himself to see the ball bouncing from his own table before acting for return? I particularly have problem with long serve with a lot of side spin. I feel that I kind of rush to return and usually have bad return (completely miss or low quality return).

You actually have a lot more time than you think. Watch the entire ball flight (from when it is struck all the way to just before you hit it) to get the maximum amount of information, it will make your receive a lot more stable. One tip I got from the strongest player in my group is to really focus on the area of the ball that I want to contact, this will increase accuracy a lot. There is a contact point to use for every different serve to adjust for the incoming spin even if you're looping. You can't just use the same contact point.

It's not just receive but also all other shots too. 

I sometimes lose concentration and stop doing that, then my returns suffer a lot too. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2021 at 10:58am
Definitely good advice. I did somehow try to "stare" at the ball before striking it, but I think the mind has not set to control the hand very well yet.

I think serve return is so important yet little discussed here. And being able to staring the trajectory of the ball flight is most important of return.

I will be practicing to catch the ball with my bare hand without the paddle. I think that will help timing and observing the trajectory of the ball without about worrying the striking ball. 

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

You actually have a lot more time than you think. Watch the entire ball flight (from when it is struck all the way to just before you hit it) to get the maximum amount of information, it will make your receive a lot more stable. One tip I got from the strongest player in my group is to really focus on the area of the ball that I want to contact, this will increase accuracy a lot. There is a contact point to use for every different serve to adjust for the incoming spin even if you're looping. You can't just use the same contact point.

I sometimes lose concentration and stop doing that, then my returns suffer a lot too. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2021 at 7:16pm

Definitely good advice. I did somehow try to "stare" at the ball before striking it, but I think the mind has not set to control the hand very well yet.

I think serve return is so important yet little discussed here. And being able to staring the trajectory of the ball flight is most important of return.

I will be practicing to catch the ball with my bare hand without the paddle. I think that will help timing and observing the trajectory of the ball without about worrying the striking ball. 

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I'm working on it too Smile From what I gather, it's eyes tracking the ball -> move centre of gravity (upper body) towards the ball -> move to the ball -> hit it. Easier said than done though. It's not a "natural" habit but very much learnt behaviour. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic