Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Horrible chopping disease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horrible chopping disease
    Posted: 01/05/2007 at 2:08am
I'm getting a little worried, and will have to talk to my coaches on Sunday about this...

I'm a 2-winged power looper (not a very consistent one), but lately some FH chops have crept into my game, and come at opportune times (they win the point!). Rather than getting into position to loop a return, very occasionally I find myself chopping with my Iolite and Bryce PowerSponge (max) - not a chopping combo, but I manage to make it work! Last night when I played at the club I was practising the shot a little, and it was landing with more regularity than I thought would be possible.

The question is, is it a disease that I should rid myself of, or a genuine tactical stroke? My defense isn't all that bad, and I've even got a couple of decent BH chops in recently on my Bryce FX PS (max), but I was nowhere near in position for looping those.

This post is written only half-jokingly...
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
Sponsored Links

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 2:12am
lol i do that alot too. usually right after that if i'm still out of position i just start lobbing. if i'm in position i just reloop xD
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 6:55am
well if you're good at chopping you could consider changing
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 7:36am
If you aspire to be a strong player you should be able to execute any shot in practice at least
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 8:01am
Schlager does that a lot with the fastest equipment known to man.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 8:02am
It's good that you practice it and have it ready when needed.  It's even better that you understand that it's a crutch, and try not to have to use it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 11:13am
I'm pretty sure I know what my coaches would say. First of all, they put strong emphasis on footwork and getting your body in the correct position for the next shot. So, if I chop something that I could loop, I'm giving away the attacking initiative to the opponent, and that's never a good thing.

As others have said though, to be a good player you should be able to execute any shot.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
der_RenTneR View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote der_RenTneR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 11:54am
i totally agree with you last post, if you give away the initiative the opponent will take it....or not ;) just be sure to keep your style, if your an attacker, attack.
BUT it's always good to know all techniques, just in case you should be in need to use them in the game. varity makes you a better player. it needn't always to be the fastest loop to make the point. just look at waldner...
BTY Korbel Off
vh: sriver L 2.1 black
bh: sriver L 2.1 red
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 6:20pm
Variety isn't necessarily beneficial. If you're in a heated looping battle, and you're caught out of position and have to chop, you've just given up ground and let the opponent take the offensive. Once one player takes the offensive, he can more easily dictate the pace and make the opponent run around, and make it a smash/lob rally.

Unless your chopping is better than your looping, it's just plain better to loop that ball than to chop it.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic