FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Glue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Glue?
    Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:20am
Do I have to use glue?

What's the best non-glue way to attach the rubber to the blade? I'd like to cut 5 or 6 different rubbers and try them out without gluing. Can I do it somehow?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:38am
No.  Glue is how you attach rubber to a piece of wood. 

If the bond between the sheet and the blade isn't good, you won't get an accurate idea of how each sheet plays.

Just use thin layers that cover the entire surface of blade and rubber and use a press or some heavy object to press them together for 5 mins or so each time.  This way, you will keep the rubber on the blade without putting tons of thick layers on the wood.

Also, remember to seal the blade (hairspray works) before you do all this to prevent splintering.  Depending on your blade, if you don't seal, by the end of your testing there could be chunks out of it.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:12pm
Thanks!!! i was just hoping there would be some miracle stuff I could use like velcro :-). Thanks for the hairspray tip. It's funny, for years I cut hair in NY, then I became a health teacher in HS. Now, here I am talking about using hairspray, rubbers, and using scizzors to cut the rubber. ahhhhhh.

Question?

Do you see any problem in using Elmer's Rubber Cement or do I have to use the ITT expensive stuff?
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:40pm
Use Elmers.
Seattle, WA
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:45pm
Thanks,
I thought the whole ITT approved thing was a scam, but I feared they used some secret ingredient that helped or that standard rubber cement would melt my rubber.
I'll go to Staples and grab a bucket of it for about 1/10 the price of the ITT stuff, like Stiga and DHS.

Anyone have a Elmer horror story? If not, I'm getting my keys and I advise the same for you. :-).
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:47pm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9809&PN=1

Go buy your damn Elmers...

Then you can create another post and tell us how it went.

If you eat it it will be horrific. LOL
Seattle, WA
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 3:33pm
Are you a DHS Rep? :-).
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 3:36pm
No...Confused?
Seattle, WA
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 3:45pm
Just messin' with you after the "POST" comment.
I'm just trying to get to the bottom of some issues that have been in the back of mind for a couple years. It's working thanks to the help of those on this forum. Thanks.
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 5:43pm
No problem, I understand that. Most people usually are able to do that with only one topic...but to each their own. Big%20smile
Seattle, WA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic