Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - getting back to TT after injury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

getting back to TT after injury

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_ttguy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting back to TT after injury
    Posted: 05/03/2015 at 3:49pm
Hello fellow players,

maybe somebody had similar problem - the lower back injury (herniated disc followed by microsurgery)..
If so, could you please share your experience about recovery process - how soon you were back to TT, what kind of drills you started with - not to over stress your back, and anything related to that?

my level before the injury was about 1600-1700 USATT, but I did not play much tournaments in last years anyways..

BTW, I guess I missed the appearance of 40+ plastic ball.. Would a recovery be any different due to new ball, or it is just subtle detail.

Thanks a lot,
  _ttguy

Sponsored Links

htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 4:36pm
i've been suffering through a herniated l5 for about 4 years now. it sucks ... there have been days when i could not walk, going to the loo involved leopard crawl and a lot of swearing.

the major problem i had was recalibrating myself to not push so hard all the time. slowly does it, if i'd listened to my trainer sooner i would be a lot better off. but hey, i'm listening now.

get a trainer, preferably one who has had experience in injury recovery. listen to them and do what they say, do it every day, do not go overboard, stick with it and be patient 'cos it is going to take a long time.

beware of torsional movement with your lower body, slightly too fast or too much will set you back a lot and can be agonising.

if you absolutely have to be active, the best thing you can get is serious anti-inflamatories (i had naproxen 500mg), mark my words : painkillers do not help at all (i've tried lots and they ranged from not working at all to turning me into a dribbling, shambling zombie that was still in a lot of pain).
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2015 at 6:00pm
I started to play very gently at 6 weeks after that surgery.  The surgeon actually said to wait 8 weeks but I started two weeks really slowly and carefully.  Probably not too smart on my part but it was ok.  For quite awhile all you should do are forehand counters, backhand counters.  I could loop also at 8 weeks without problem, but the key was that I had to know exactly where the ball was coming.  I worked with coaches who were really good at multiball and players I knew could block very precisely.  If the ball was a little too wide or too close to my body I just let it go.  A big bucket of balls is very very useful, and a net to pick up balls.   I could play pretty much full speed at 3 months but the thing was always in the back of my mind.  It was a couple of years before I stopped worrying about it and could move without fear of re-injury. 

I should also add that no two people are the same and back pain is really mysterious and it is hard to know what works.  It is remarkable how often people can be in horrible pain and there is nothing that can be seen to cause it on an MRI. 

For me the surgery was a godsend.  The problem in the disk was easy to see on MRI, and maybe that is why the surgery was so successful in my case.  Before the surgery, I was wracked with pain, horrible shooting pain down my left leg into the left toes, completely debilitating, to the extent that I really found it very difficult to walk, and as soon as I woke from the anesthesia that pain was completely gone.  The only pain remaining was from the incision and in the vicinity of the bone itself, and that went a way pretty quickly.  I couldn't stand up straight for a couple of days after the surgery, seemed to want to stand tilted but that went away after a day or two.  I know not everybody has an outcome like that, but I am really glad I did it.
_ttguy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 5:36pm
Hey htfu & Baal,

Thanks a lot for your responses - really appreciate them!

It has been only a second week since the surgery, I will see my doctor tomorrow for the first time since.
I was kind of fantasizing that I could start playing soon, but that does not look so; also I haven't talked to the doctor about it yet. Too bad - I am getting fatter every day not having enough physical activity...

Anyways, thanks for emphasizing on not overdoing it - that advice I am going to take!
I did not take any pain killers after the surgery, so I feel much better now, but of course, not the same as before.

Thanks you,
 _ttguy

htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 5:40pm
hope you get back to playing as soon as you are strong enough ... good luck with the recovery :)
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic