Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good oil to seal blade with

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good oil to seal blade with
    Posted: 05/05/2021 at 10:09am
Hello,

One of my friends is a fine furniture maker and has recently started making some blades to sell.  He has been using shellac on them, but it can make the handles slightly slippery and make it hard for rubbers to adhere.  He sands them a little bit now but is there something else he can use instead of shellac? 

Thanks,
Dave
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 10:19am
I've been using Minwax (bought at WalMart), Satin Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Finish which worked well.
Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 10:21am
did it change the playing characteristics of the wood?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 12:06pm
I wouldn't seal the handle at all. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 12:13pm
I don't think the MinWax changed the playing characteristics, I measured the frequency before & after and it was identical (to me, a 1208 USATT rated playerBig smile). I did wipe off the excess polyurethane "liquid" so I only used the minimal amount needed to seal the blade surfaces.
I also seal the handle so I can disinfect the entire racket after playing (COVID etc.).

Edited by ejprinz - 05/05/2021 at 12:15pm
Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by ejprinz ejprinz wrote:

I don't think the MinWax changed the playing characteristics, I measured the frequency before & after and it was identical (to me, a 1208 USATT rated playerBig smile). I did wipe off the excess polyurethane "liquid" so I only used the minimal amount needed to seal the blade surfaces.
I also seal the handle so I can disinfect the entire racket after playing (COVID etc.).

This what I do as well.  Dust the face just to dampen, then buff it right out.

On some blades I do go around the outside edge.  Blades that chip like the w6 or thick balsa blades that are just plain fragile.  I saturate those around the outside edge.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 12:46pm
thanks everyone

GrayGhost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 6:38pm
I have used the DHS blade protective coating on 3 blades.  It didn't change any of the characteristics and seems to be holding up well.  It's $12 at PPD right now.
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 8:05pm
I use a thin poly finish (Minwax wipe on poly) for the blade face to keep try to keep top veneers from peeling and Watco Danish Oil on the handle so it retains the wood texture and does not feel like plastic.

Edited by WingTT - 05/05/2021 at 8:48pm
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 8:31pm
As many people have pointed out, polyurethane based sealers are quite popular and work well. I'd just like to comment as someone who uses shellac to seal all my blades that I've never had issues with rubber adherence. It's definitely more "slippery" than other substances, but not enough in my experience to cause issues. I do like that I don't have to work hard to get glue off my blade when I replace my rubber.

Something to be aware of is that polyurethane creates a pretty hard coat, more so than shellac. Depending on the type of wood you're sealing and how sensitive a player is, polyurethane sealer can make a noticeable difference in blade feel. I use a single ply hinoki blade, so I have avoided polyurethane so far. It's best to seal table tennis blades with as thin of a coat of sealer as possible, since you want to preserve the wood feel. It may be a good idea to thin polyurethane sealer before using it on a blade, and sanding it afterwards is most likely necessary.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 9:44pm
Why not use a proper table tennis product instead of looking for alternatives?
TSP has this coat, probably the best I´ve ever used.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 10:29pm
I am a happy owner with HRT 2380 blade, carbonized blackish wood. It comes pre-varnished, and very stiff black veneer. You will get a super_power cannon for 25 USD.

BE HAPPY.
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2021 at 10:14am
ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2021 at 3:38pm
I've used the DHS protective coating on a one ply hinoki per the directions with 2 coatings and had to sandpaper it a bit to get the rubber to stick effectively.  So I would recommend using a very light coat.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

I am a happy owner with HRT 2380 blade, carbonized blackish wood. It comes pre-varnished, and very stiff black veneer. You will get a super_power cannon for 25 USD.

BE HAPPY.
Isn't this blade Chinese???
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2021 at 7:46pm
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic