Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great backhand: Gustavo Messias

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great backhand: Gustavo Messias
    Posted: 07/26/2015 at 8:24pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4cwuzeeJg

I see nothing wrong in this bh; it is fast; it does not borrow too much from speed to create spin; contact is early; the swing is natural, direct and there is not waste: the close to perfect timing between the forearm and wrist just happens.

Probably one of the cleanest bh ever.

edit 1/5/19:
It took me a while to find that guy, Gustavo Messias. I'll edit the title too to find him easier next time. He trains with Priscila Dias.

There is another video of him there:

The reason I am editing this is I wanted to share with people who commented the faboulous bh of Yichi Zhang and I found a parallel with Gustavo Messias.

I am not sure why Gustavo Messias didn't go higher up and play with Hugo, anybody know what happened? he seems to have it all!!!

Edited by fatt - 01/05/2019 at 3:18pm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 9:25pm
Yeah I really like it. As someone who uses short pips on the backhand I can see how this stroke could be used well with short pips with only a minor adjustment in angle. That quick, explosive movement at just the right time is what I'm talking about.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 10:19pm
Thanks for sharing, fatt. I love these backhands where the wrist comes all the way through and the tip of the racket ends up facing the side wall.  The amount of ball speed you can generate with that type of backhand is ridiculous.

I've got this vid saved to pocket and will come back to watch it again I'm sure. Smile
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 10:28pm
wow, nice
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 11:18am
would be slightly more impressive if it wasn't so obviously edited

here goes another one with way less editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gycr9-uJ_1E

:)
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

Sure it's edited but that doesn't mean he isn't actually hitting those shots. It's simply a highlight video. If you go on youtube and watch a highlight of professionals playing an exciting match do you also say "it's not as impressive because it's edited"?
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 4:11pm

Let's see. Instead of a snappy 2min video, you want to see 30mins of
Missed shots
Uninteresting rallies
someone walk away from a camera pulling their shorts from their assylum
towel breaks
water drinking
idle chat
chat about what to do next
etc
etc
Finally, someone walk up to the camera to switch it off?

You must have loads of time on your hands
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Darker Speed90 with T05 and Yinhe moon pro.

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 7:13pm
good control bh in my opinion, but relies too much on the  power of the incoming ball. The guy is mostly countering the ball with minimum added energy, which can make this shot inconsistent when the incoing ball speed is not so predictable. Give him a slower floating ball with less energy and he counters it in the net right away.

Also, I think he isn't using enough of his body for the shot (same for his fh), body and shoulder rotation is pretty much missing, there is a little too much forearm and wrist to my taste. With that said his bh is for sure effective at pretty good levels, so what I just said are minor things.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2015 at 9:02pm
I call a backhand great when I see it capable of turning around a point in a life-or-death match, such as this or this.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 1:00am
I see his bh 100 % confident and natural that's what is interesting to me; he has something in his bh that cannot be coached; we all have a stroke or 2 like that; we do not think and it's all as efficient as it gets without any thinking; pure instincts drive those strokes; for him its the bh!
I wish I have that fh, stamina and footwork but I can't help thinking of the weight transfer and hips rotation, missing a bit here in the fh; I was thinking about it and suddenly...I figured we had that conversation already a while ago...http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60165 
my memory is flaking; so do my eyes btw; that's bad news for tt because those help so much to watch the ball...Cry

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 2:11am
And it's both fun and revealing to read people's comments two years later.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 7:50am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

I call a backhand great when I see it capable of turning around a point in a life-or-death match, such as this or this.
"life-or-death"? Are you suggesting that they took the losers outside and shot them? And imho that guy's backhand is a shambles when compared with the one in the op.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 9:34am
Light-bulb moment!

If it weren't for Tassie's enlightening post, I never would have known a single-elimination tournament is also known as a sudden-death tournament.  For a moment there I felt like a sociopath.

I'll see if I can relay your comment to the owner of that shambling backhand.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 9:58am
That guy has everything and if he gets coaching, attention to details will produce exponential results; I mean the dude can certainly be a role model for kids...and adults. He's got such lean and clean strokes!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 10:19am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4cwuzeeJg

I see nothing wrong in this bh; it is fast; it does not borrow too much from speed to create spin; contact is early; the swing is natural, direct and there is not waste: the close to perfect timing between the forearm and wrist just happens.

At first look, it seems that that guy has great forearm strength - he is able to hit it (generating very quick acceleration) without cocking his forearm / wrist much at all. A closer look reveals a bit of why he can do it - he almost always hits from near the upper tip of his racket (that helps him generate maximum spin as well as with great speed). 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 10:19am

Why would it be more impressive? 
The Older I get, The better I was.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 10:32am
It looks much less impressive to me in real life.

Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by LethalForehand LethalForehand wrote:

good control bh in my opinion, but relies too much on the  power of the incoming ball. The guy is mostly countering the ball with minimum added energy, which can make this shot inconsistent when the incoing ball speed is not so predictable. Give him a slower floating ball with less energy and he counters it in the net right away.

Same playerWink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSDp4KUaUKY
This guy plays at a level that 99.9 % of players on this forum can only dream about, he's got a tidy consistent structured game. His technique is fine and unworthy of criticism.
The Older I get, The better I was.
looneylooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looneylooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2015 at 10:48am
It is called highlightsfor a reason, best shots or points from each player. It is impressive because of the consistency and power. That i think none of us here in the forum can make. And that is a great bh.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2019 at 3:23pm
Hello, 

Following the comments on the video of Yichi Zhang's great bh, I wanted to resurrect this to compare and maybe talk about that explosiveness of the forearm/wrist in the bh, both players share that strength.

-------
edit: 
if you see an JRwEQTYCTkE.swf alert, it's due to a flash embbeded youtube that's not supported anymore.
I think it's the link APW46 puts in his post but it's not a active so I guess it's a chrome/youtube/old video thing.

Edited by fatt - 01/05/2019 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic