Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handle too short: ALC-like blades?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handle too short: ALC-like blades?
    Posted: 10/19/2020 at 5:52am
Hi all,

Currently playing with TB ALC, I've started focusing on my grip more and realised that I hold the bat a bit too tight with the V between my thumb and my index finger touching the wing of the blade. I'm told that it's better to leave a gap between the wing and the V - however, if I do that, due to my big hands, the edge of the bottom of the handle will press against my hand and will equally contribute to tension and reduce manoeuvrability.

Are there any ALC-like blades with longer handles? What's Tibhar Powerspin Carbon like? I'm not concerned about the width as I use a grip tape so can adjust that myself. Would gluing a piece of wood on the bottom of the handle work?

Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 7:18am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 8:23am
most handles today are at 10cm length. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 9:59am
I just started using grip tape the past week and it's incredible, what benefits do you get from it / why do you use it?

Interestingly enough I got given the same advice by a training partner in my last session  of play, about having the gap between your V grip as you describe.
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 1:17pm
I use the grip tape to add bulk to the handle as well as cover those sharp edges on the wings.

How does the Omar Assar blade play? Compared to TB ALC/TBC/Viscaria etc?
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

How does the Omar Assar blade play? Compared to TB ALC/TBC/Viscaria etc?

There are comments comparing the two blades in the 3rd link of the second post of this thread.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 5:47am
WSC JO Shape also is an option for larger hands with its longer handle
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2020 at 8:41pm
BBC, SP, LP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic