FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hardbat First, Sponge Later

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardbat First, Sponge Later
    Posted: 11/09/2019 at 2:43pm
The following idea is inspired by the fact that I started playing in France and we had hardbat paddles only. I was 12 and 3 years in a row, in a garage, I was playing in the weekends with the kids of the family that welcomed me as that boarding school was closed on non school days and my parents were making money abroad  (I saw them 3 times year, 3 weeks at xmas, 3 weeks at Easter, 2 months in the summer).

The rallies were long and controlled it was all about placement, especially to take advantage of the killing angles due to close walls or cars. I think a lot of what I do better than other things from within my game, whatever the level, is fueled by those years of hardbat. Placement, going across, going along the line or to the elbow is relatively more important to do in hardbat since there is no spin factor.

Would it be smart to teach young people to play hardbat first for a few years before moving them to using sponge and inverted? could a hardbat game be a more solid foundation and great material to build a strong framework for the spin game?

In terms of strategy and tactics, the hardbat game seems to me more subtle because the ecosystem is far simpler. The idea is that it would train smarter players who, when switching to sponge and spin, would have an advantage.

acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2019 at 8:24pm
Theory used to be to first develop strokes on hard rubber before transitioning to sponge.
Tony
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 9:14am
A good reason for this would be to learn players how to basic counter and flat hit properly. A lot of coaches focus on the topspin way to early which leads bad basic fundamentals and bad consistency.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 12:31pm
Loop is a basic stroke. Generalizing that learning to loop early is vey inaccurate view. Too many factors to consider. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 11/11/2019 at 4:58pm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 2:25pm
While I do find that my contact with the ball generally improves after a stint with sp with sponge however I feel that hardbat is a really different game with different strokes, so if you start someone with hardbat they will have to unlearn too many strategy, muscle memories and strokes. So I actually don't know if the benefit outweighs the cons
Yasaka Rakza7 Butterfly Cypress Max
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

While I do find that my contact with the ball generally improves after a stint with sp with sponge however I feel that hardbat is a really different game with different strokes, so if you start someone with hardbat they will have to unlearn too many strategy, muscle memories and strokes. So I actually don't know if the benefit outweighs the cons

Agreed.
TT Coaches based at schools or big clubs tend to have sessions where the kids use only the blades, no rubber. Far better link to the inverted rubber style.
>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.

Currently testing; Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05. Update; T05 on BH is impressive when all is right,but D05 wins more points

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic