Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Help: Beginner Group Coaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Beginner Group Coaching
    Posted: 09/29/2013 at 2:25am
Hello fellow forum! I currently coach and supervise a table tennis club at a local high school but I am unsure on how I should go about teaching things in a group setting. Just some background info on me. I have been playing table tennis for about 3 years now. My highest rating was about 1200(Because I know someone is going to askSmile). The last rated tournament I played in was in March. I'm also a first year college student. As of right now, I coach alone to maybe about 20 students. I tried to split the students into 2 teams, A team and B team based on their level of skill. It kind of makes things easier. I coach each team one at a time. If I was to give an estimate of their levels, the A team is about 800-1100 and the B team is less than 800. Lately, what I have been trying to do was reinforce the basic strokes and teach simple tactics to the A team. For the B team, I have been teaching them the basic strokes, starting from forehand. Anyway, as I stated before, I was wondering on how I should group coach/teach them so that it would be more beneficial. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! Sorry for the long post.
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 3:08am
hi sonny
20 players
How many tables?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 3:57am
teach your players how to feed the ball so that you won't have a hard time feeding all of them
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 6:44am
try this one bro:
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_development/tops_manual.pdf
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 8:08am
You really should try to get someone decent or two to demonstrate the strokes/footwork and whatnot. A 1200 player leading <1000 level players just isn't going to be all that great.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

You really should try to get someone decent or two to demonstrate the strokes/footwork and whatnot. A 1200 player leading <1000 level players just isn't going to be all that great.

But that's not really what he's asking now, is he? Let's not derail another thread, shall we, and not discourage this person from what he's doing.Confused

Getting back on track, I think Yogi's idea is excellent. Teach them to feed each other balls, and show them the basics on the techniques one by one. You can do more advanced techniques with the better players, but even the lower level players can feed them balls.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 10:06am
@PPP: 7 tables

@AgentHex: I try to but most higher level people don't coach for free these days. This club is free and I enjoy coaching so I do it for free also(wouldn't make sense to have people pay anyway). I think most people will look at my rating and go "wow... He shouldn't coach because he is such low level." but in truth I think that you don't have to be a good player to be a good coach. But I do understand where you are coming from.

@everyone else: Thanks for the advice. I'll try the ball feeding thing. Maybe I will post a video of me playing/coaching or something.
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 12:48pm
I hope they are not playing with pre-mades. Your setup or similar is a good start.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

teach your players how to feed the ball so that you won't have a hard time feeding all of them
yes this is the key; when we learn we need to maximize the number of quality balls we hit and in a group of beginners, the least expensive way to achieve this is to have pairs of students who feed each other; also the social aspect of such a setup is very high, students taking care of each other.

I was always amazed by that kid in coachtt123's channel: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu80P4MpF3c (at first it does not have to be that good of course).

the master at 2m20s is such a pro feeder!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu80P4MpF3c&t=2m20s

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 2:29pm
with 7 tables 20 tables, you can have 12 doing an exercise on 6 tables, and take the remaining eight on to your table, give them one ball each, then show them fh stroke. Then they queue up to play you and you feed them. Each time one misses they pick the ball and they join the back of the queue, while you feed the next. Carry on like this for 20 minutes. Then exchange those players for the ones on the other tables and get them to practice what they have learned. After an hour of this you will have played everybody, and you may be able to group them according to ability and think of things to do.
Make sure that when you are playing, you can see all of the other tables, and that when you address pupils or give a demo, that no body stands behind you. This will make it easier to focus the attention of the group.
hope this helps
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

But that's not really what he's asking now, is he?

He's asking for advice.
Let's not derail another thread, shall we, and not discourage this person from what he's doing.Confused

What I said is good advice. Feel free to content otherwise.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by IllSonny IllSonny wrote:

@AgentHex: I try to but most higher level people don't coach for free these days. This club is free and I enjoy coaching so I do it for free also(wouldn't make sense to have people pay anyway). I think most people will look at my rating and go "wow... He shouldn't coach because he is such low level." but in truth I think that you don't have to be a good player to be a good coach. But I do understand where you are coming from.

You don't necessarily need high level, just someone who has good form who will understand its nuances. It's not about the level to coach, it's about learning this sort of basic stuff right the first time so they don't get stuck with poor gimpy habits. If you have a TT club around you, go ask for volunteers; it's probable you'll find a good samaritan or two for this good cause.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 5:52pm
Just make sure people have fun, and have info ready regarding local clubs if they want to go further.
The basic thing to coach as far as you are able is to keep the ball going, and get them to move a bit.
At the end, get them all to circle one table with 1 bat at end. you are at other end (or someone you dsignate) feeding. Each player picks up bat plays a shot puts bat down and circles round whole table. Give each participant 2 'lives. When they are down to five players, you step out and the players circle and hit at both ends till 2 are left... Its crazy

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 09/29/2013 at 5:53pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 6:28pm
Have as many players as you can handle for a table to feed. They form a line, and they have 2 lives to hit forehands. The others can be playing games, team tournament, king of the hill. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic