Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to beat Seemiller grippers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to beat Seemiller grippers
    Posted: 03/04/2006 at 1:48am
I lost all my games at a club tonight it was horrible. I have a serious psychological problem, when i rally for warmup im carefree and my shots are accurate and beautiful and when the game starts i lose all my skills.

I know one of my problems that is i try to kill too often. I lose because of unforced errors i basically suicide and im trying to work on it with my dad.

one kid who is like 300 points below me beat me twice because i was so nervous, he used the Seemiller grip and i dont know his weaknesses i ended up suiciding myself again.

Can anyone tell me how to beat a seemiller player? Or their weaknesses?

I want to learn everything to tabletennis.
Hard work and self-determination will surpass talent.

Blade-Homemade BirchBalsaBullet (3B JSX)
FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
Sponsored Links

jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 2:00am
......If u crying about loosing then I am not giving you any advice.  You just have to keep on playing and then u will find the answer.  Just spend some time thinking. 
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra, Primorac 2000 CS (traditional only)
FH: Globe 999/999T
BH: Sriver-D13-L, Sriver EL (RPB)
mfbaltaxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfbaltaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 2:20am
Originally posted by DatSuKid DatSuKid wrote:

I lost all my games at a club tonight it was horrible. I have a serious psychological problem, when i rally for warmup im carefree and my shots are accurate and beautiful and when the game starts i lose all my skills.

I know one of my problems that is i try to kill too often. I lose because of unforced errors i basically suicide and im trying to work on it with my dad.

one kid who is like 300 points below me beat me twice because i was so nervous, he used the Seemiller grip and i dont know his weaknesses i ended up suiciding myself again.

Can anyone tell me how to beat a seemiller player? Or their weaknesses?

I want to learn everything to tabletennis.
mfbaltaxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfbaltaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 2:27am

Sorry pressed enter too early

Anyhow, first thing you need to know is that everybody plays worse in competition than in practice. In practice there is no pressure. Try practicing more game situations rather than straight drilling. This might include starting games from 9 all, or having loser of the match buy drinks. Anything to try to mimic competition

Further, try not to worry about the result or how you are playing compared to practice. Instead, focus on tactics, in other words what is working and what is not. Do not focus on technique

Next, try to have 1 or two serves or play sequences that you feel will win you a point

As to Seemiller style, generally try to attack the forehand and get them off the table on that side, then switch to the backhand. It is difficult for that style of player to go off the table on the backhand side

jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 3:32am
attack deep on the corners.  their weak point will be apparent. 
patlu08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patlu08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 3:44am
thats the same problem fhloop has... you get too angry because you just want to win right?

when he was losing he would just like smack the ball really friggin hard into the net or out (thats in the past hopefully)

table tennis is fun right? theres nothing to worry about, just improving your game
Stiga OC CR - no wrb
FH: Globe 999t/Quattro 2.0
BH: Sriver L 1.9
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 7:34am
I play against 2 seemiller grippers and their weakness is their backhand especially deep with me being a lefty my fh goes to their bh so i just move them over a bit then loop to their bh
Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 9:24am
seemillers are strong in the middle and weak when you hit it very wide especially wide to the BH
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 12:44pm
The seemiller's I've played want you to drive the ball at them and punch block it back.  Play them like you'd play a penholder.  To the bh wing esp.  Not that it works for me, but that's what the "experts" say.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Patmandidily View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patmandidily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 2:15pm
Why is everyone saying play to the backhand? Like penhold, the Seemiller grip is very solid in blocks and counters right there, and unless you're a lot better than your opponent, you're not going to be able to outrally a Seemiller player in his strength. Why people say the penhold and Seemiller backhands are weak is because they can't lift or loop underspin easily. Therefore, I think it's generally a good idea to play safer backspins into the backhand because he won't attack, and then you can attack. As with rallying, the Seemiller grip is essentially the same as the shakehand grip except a stronger countering backhand, so I generally use the same strategy - play into the body mostly.
Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 2:39pm
Pat I know your a good player and respect you but I play 4-5 seemillers at my club all the time and the worst possible place to hit to all these guys is the middle without a doubt,what they all do is start getting you all over the table as soon as possible,if they get control first it is amost point over and just a matter of time before you can't catch a ball to your wide FH or BH,the best way to play these at my club is to initiate the rally going wide and the first chance you get to hit hard to the wide BH then take it,you hit to the middle on these guys and you have absolutly no idea where the ball is coming back to you they can put it wide FH or wide BH at the last second,the wider you hit it the more idea you have on where the ball is coming back for instance you hit to their wide BH it is almost impossible for them to hit wide to your BH but in the middle they can hit it anywhere with ease
Gergely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gergely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 3:51pm

you can see some tips about:

http://www.usatt.org/tip_photo/012802.shtml

Gergely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gergely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2006 at 3:54pm
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2006 at 4:11am
they don't have a weak backhand but if u hit it deep into their backhand they seem to have the trouble returning that unless they had good footwork so they can move deeper and return that ball but then that leaves their forehand open, then u know the pattern.  if u want to be a good seemiller u need to have good footwork. 
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2006 at 5:39am
Try to force these sorts of players off the table where not being able to topspin well off both wings hurts, they generally don't have the same backhand lifting abilities as penholders so its safer to play deep into the backhand.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
chin_penholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chin_penholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2006 at 8:36pm
attack the wide wings... use angles.. theres a guy who plays seemiller at my club
faux123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faux123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2006 at 9:27pm

Tips against seemiller grips:

Serve short to their backhand, it is awkward for them to loop on the table short underspin balls.  Long underspin to their backhand is bad because a good seemiller can loop long balls with the funny looking but effective wrist snap strokes.

Don't rally with them, try to 3rd ball attack if possible.  Once rally started they just punch block you and move you left right in out and eventually you will lose balance and either return a weak ball for them to smash you or just miss the ball completely.

If you are stuck in rallying with seemiller, vary your power and speed and play position against them.  Most seemiller don't like to move so their footwork is weaker, so if you can make them move you will have an advantage.  The worst thing to do is to constantly power loop everything to the same spot against seemiller in a rally, they will punch block you to death.

FH: Joola Tango Extreme 2.1
BH: DHS G888 2.0
Blade: Yasaka Extra FL
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2006 at 9:29pm

If they are really playing Seemiller grip there are a few tactics you can try.

Don't open weakly, this grip is excellent at blocking loops and countering.

They should have no middle weakness on topspin points, there is no "transition" point between backhand and forehand for topspin. They MAY have a middle weakness in pushing or underspin shots, you have to actually shift your grip to push heavy backsin on the backhand  with this grip. If you have good serves, try serving to their elbow or hip with underspin and side/under and see how they handle it.

And like everyone else says, the wide shots are real trouble. Anytime you can force them back their away from the table the backhand weaknesses become apparent. They usually crowd the table, and crowd the backhand corner, see if you can punish them for being so close.

Remember that you are playing a one wing attacker, don't let them get away with parking in the backhand corner all day. Treat them like you were playing a chinese penholder with no RPB.

jfolsen

Robert Trudell View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2006 at 4:27pm

Here's a video of a match I had with Dan Seemiller Jr.:

http://tt.mainstreet.net/ttoutpost/Dan_Seemiller_Jr_vs_Robert_Trudell_Jr.htm

In the 5th game I took Matt Winkler's advice and went wide to the forehand.

--Rob

DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 12:55am
Lol i beat hm like 2-3 weeks ago. All i did was short hidden topspin serve to his backhand then slow loop or drive. other times i served heavy backspin to the forehand to mix things up.

FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
tony7190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony7190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 10:38pm
I have never seen a seemiller player... or thier grip before. Is this like a new grip that might become more popular? or is it just gonna remain sorta unknown to people who don't play many different people like me?
DHS 4007 Penhold Blade
FH: 802-40
BH: G888
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 10:43pm
Dont worry about it. seemiller grip is already dead in popularity.

The few players who do use the Seemiller grip are just ones from the 70's or children of tt players from the 70's, The next generation will be almost completely seemiller free but a few linger around for the family tradition. Kinda when you cut off the head of a chicken and it still runs around .

FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
seemillerlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seemillerlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:01pm
really?what is u name cause i dont think u beat me
I will rip your wimpy forehand loop down the line with my forehand for a winner! how bout that?
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:06pm

Originally posted by tony7190 tony7190 wrote:

I have never seen a seemiller player... or thier grip before. Is this like a new grip that might become more popular? or is it just gonna remain sorta unknown to people who don't play many different people like me?

they just use one side of the racket with thumb and fore finger behind the other side,if you hit it straight at them they can get you moving all over the table as what looks like they are going one way then with a slight move of a finger or thumb they angle it the other way,if you hit wide to them they are much less effective,we have a couple at our club one is pretty good but the other all you have to do is hit wide to the BH and he is done he just can't get it back

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seemillerlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:12pm

what are the ratings of the ppl here? im 2100

I will rip your wimpy forehand loop down the line with my forehand for a winner! how bout that?
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:24pm
Dan can't speak for anyone else but after 4 months playing the game and at 43 yrs old when I started my rating is just over 1200 played 3 tournaments
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:51pm

yea seemillerlooper show datsukid what ur made of.  it's simply wrong to say that seemiller grip is going to disappear.  maybe in the future our next champ is going to be a seemiller player.  back in the days they used to say that penhold was going to disappear too and it's still alive not b/c of rpb and it's because people believe that they can still kick ass with traditional style. 

jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2006 at 11:58pm
Datsukid, you should think b4 u say something b.c ur comments are rather insulting to some people.  u should not speculate anything since u haven't played a lot of us besides the people in ur club and no.... one or two clubs does not make u knowledgeable of what is going on around u. 
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2006 at 12:04am
the whole point of table tennis is not to put down on others and is not the matter of winning or loosing.  it's about accepting the fact that there are many good players out there and ur purpose is to show them how grateful it is to challenge them. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seemillerlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2006 at 1:10pm
datsukid, what is your full name so i can look on usatt and see if u really did beat me, because ive never played anyone named jeremy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic