FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hurricane/Skyline pip structure comparisons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane/Skyline pip structure comparisons
    Posted: 02/14/2014 at 7:32pm
I've always loved chinese rubber for my FH, but was always curious to know why they play so differently when they are all generally tacky rubbers on hard sponges.  I decided to separate the sponge from the topsheet on scraps of the popular hurricane and skyline rubbers made by DHS to see what makes them so different, and I thought I'd share Smile

Based on the pictures, this is what I observed:

Pip width:  H2 > TG2 > TG3 > H3
Pip spacing:  H2 > TG3 > TG2 > H3
Pip shape:
H3 - medium trapezoidal base with a medium height cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge
H2 - large trapezoidal with a very short cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge
TG3 - short trapezoidal base with a tall cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge
TG2 - completely cylindrical

My comparisons based on the commercial products boosted with haifu seamoon on a YEO cpen:
-My favorite is the TG2 for its ease of blocking and it's relatively low arc on loops at the table.  It also has the best control in the short game in my opinion, and feels the most linear.
-TG3 was the fastest of these 4 DHS rubbers with a smooth and gradual arc on loops.  It was my favorite for playing away from the table and counter-looping, but I felt I lacked control on blocks while using it.
-H3 had the sharpest arc on loops but I found it somewhat erratic on blocks compared to the TG2.  My coach also told me after blocking for me that my loops weren't as powerful with H3 as with TG2 or TG3.
-H2's arc was almost completely flat and I had difficulty controlling the ball away from the table.  But flat hits felt great and were surprisingly more controllable than any of the other rubbers.  I felt I had very little dwell with the rubber.

It seems to me from this comparison that larger pips are much easier to block with than narrow pips, while narrower pips produce a sharper arc on loops.  I also believe the larger the trapezoidal base of the pip is, the less dwell the rubber gives you (from the topsheet, sponge is a different factor).

If anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with these four rubbers, I'd love to hear your opinions!

TL;DR - Here are pictures of the pip structures of 4 popular DHS rubbers and my opinions of how they play and why.

edit:  I realized that I took these photos at a slight angle so the size proportions may look slightly skewed in the graphics, but my notes are based on observing the rubbers in person.

Edited by schen - 02/14/2014 at 7:36pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 8:25pm
Thanks this is really InterestingClap 
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the information, I'm glad to read that some one else is interested in the properties of the Hurricane and Skyline rubbers.
Shifter
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 9:34pm
Those are neo sheets, worth noting that the original H2 had narrow pips same width as h3 with wide spacing and a pure cylinder from memory, same spacing it still has. The new sheets of h2 are less demanding and also have less of h2s unique qualities.

Great post by the way and those are accurate descriptions of how the rubbers play

Edited by bluebucket - 02/14/2014 at 9:38pm
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 12:24am
Also i forgot to note, my TG2 is the classic version (non-neo).  Although if what DHS claims is true, the topsheet and pip structure have not changed.  

It's interesting to know that they drastically changed the H2 according to bluebucket - I've never tried the classic H2, only the EX19 sponge (ew) and the neo version.  If it's even more difficult to play than NEO then I can't imagine anyone but hitters or choppers using it Stern Smile

Dynasty / H3 / H3
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 12:37am
I like DHS rubbers too.  I have H2, H2 Neo, H3, H3 Neo, TG2 Neo and TG3 Neo. The pip structure may change but I find the biggest difference is between the non-Neo and the Neo sponges.

The part about the arcs being different is bogus.  It may be true if you use exactly the same stroke but what really determines the arc of a ball is the impulse that is applied to the ball.   All of these rubbers are capable of applying the same impulse except maybe at the extreme margins.  I find the non-neo rubbers to be slower but still OK for close to the table play.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 12:52am
NEO vs non-NEO sponges will definitely play and feel different, but most people are already aware of that change.  I was more interested in comparing the topsheets in the hurricane and skyline family as opposed to the different generation of sponges.

My observations on the arcs were made using as similar of a stroke as possible with each rubber, so I wouldn't call it bogus.  

You could of course adapt your stroke to a new sheet of rubber's characteristics to get the ball on the table, but that would ruin the control group and point of this experiment.  I intentionally did not try to adjust with each equipment change because I wanted to see what kind of trajectory my intuitive stroke with the TG2 would produce using other rubbers, and I'm simply sharing what my coach/practice partner and I saw and felt.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 1:35am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

The part about the arcs being different is bogus. It may be true if you use exactly the same stroke but what really determines the arc of a ball is the impulse that is applied to the ball.   All of these rubbers are capable of applying the same impulse except maybe at the extreme margins.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 11:07am

I like DHS rubbers too.  I have H2, H2 Neo, H3, H3 Neo, TG2 Neo and TG3 Neo. The pip structure may change but I find the biggest difference is between the non-Neo and the Neo sponges.

The part about the arcs being different is bogus.  It may be true if you use exactly the same stroke but what really determines the arc of a ball is the impulse that is applied to the ball.   All of these rubbers are capable of applying the same impulse except maybe at the extreme margins.  I find the non-neo rubbers to be slower but still OK for close to the table play.

You might have h2 but you've never used it if you think its arc is anything like the others, its low low low. Most people who aren't used to it struggle to loop clear of the net.

Schen, you'll probably find the neo tg2 has the pyramid shaped pips, I'd assume its also changed. Imho they all changed pip structure with the neos

Edited by bluebucket - 02/15/2014 at 11:11am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 11:35am

The part about the arcs being different is bogus.  It may be true if you use exactly the same stroke... 

Wacko
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Schen, you'll probably find the neo tg2 has the pyramid shaped pips, I'd assume its also changed. Imho they all changed pip structure with the neos

Pyramid would actually be a better way to describe it, but yeah the NEO sheet I took apart had that shape.  I'm interested now to get ahold of some of the classic sheets and see if the pips have indeed changed for sure.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:40am
This is the topsheet of the old H3

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 2:06am
That picture reminds me of the Lego plate.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 2:14am
Which has tackier surface, H3 Neo or TG3 Neo?
Which one creates more spin in serve and slow loop?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 7:23am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Pyramid would actually be a better way to describe it, but yeah the NEO sheet I took apart had that shape.  I'm interested now to get ahold of some of the classic sheets and see if the pips have indeed changed for sure.

I believe I have a circa 2004 H2 and several from 2008 still laying around. I'll get some close ups
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 7:18pm

Pip shape:
H3 - medium trapezoidal base with a medium height cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge
H2 - large trapezoidal with a very short cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge
TG3 - short trapezoidal base with a tall cylindrical plateau where the pip meets the sponge

My comparisons based on the commercial products boosted with haifu seamoon on a YEO cpen:

-My favorite is the TG2 for its ease of blocking and it's relatively low arc on loops at the table.  It also has the best control in the short game in my opinion, and feels the most linear.
-TG3 was the fastest of these 4 DHS rubbers with a smooth and gradual arc on loops.  It was my favorite for playing away from the table and counter-looping, but I felt I lacked control on blocks while using it.
-H3 had the sharpest arc on loops but I found it somewhat erratic on blocks compared to the TG2.  My coach also told me after blocking for me that my loops weren't as powerful with H3 as with TG2 or TG3.
-H2's arc was almost completely flat and I had difficulty controlling the ball away from the table.  But flat hits felt great and were surprisingly more controllable than any of the other rubbers.  I felt I had very little dwell with the rubber.

Good summary Schen

I agree with your Coach's comment that loops with H3 have a sharper arc and are less powerful, than loops with TG2 or TG3.

H2 is also capable of more powerful loops than H3 because they kick lower off the table and are thus not as easy to block. The caveat with H2 is it's not forgiving of timing errors or poor technique. On the other hand; it 's a very effective rubber in the hands of a player with good technique.

With the standard commercial sponge; my favourites are H2 and TG3. Both can be very effective on wooden blades.

In the case of the Neo commercial sponges; I prefer the TG2 Neo and TG3 Neo, which is why I have TG2 Neo on the forehand and TG3 Neo on the backhand of my league bat.

toing!! View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toing!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2014 at 9:59am
My favorite topic...about which I know so little but am so curious. Thanks for bringing it up.

One thing neglected in your observations: Pip height!! Can you compare their relative heights, pls? I'm especially interested in the difference between TG2 and TG3.

An aside: I have some old sheets of rubber lying around that I had taken sponge off of. I had been in the past curious to try different sponges under 802 short pimples. (DHS #20 sponge, I found, was too hard for short pips.) Anyway I've got H2, way pre-neo. Shape of pips is ladder (next to base) topped by cylinder. Other sheets that are lying around are RITC 2000 Tack-Speed, Commercial Globe 999, RITC Cream. All are cylinder only. Oddly, Cream's pips are aligned horizontally! The others are all vertically aligned, same as H3 and TG3. (I have no TG2.)

I too find H3 to have a fairly high, very spinny loop with a steep, sharp arc at the end. Fun rubber. But not a low, powerful buzzsaw loop like H2, which I'm impressed with but make too many mistakes with. 

TG3 neo, my current rubber: longer arc, more powerful, faster, less outright spin THAN H3. I sometimes go long. When I do it's because of not finishing the stroke. When I think: "hold the ball in the sponge, complete the stroke with a nice smooth finish," then the loop comes down on the end of the table with good power and spin. The finish is the key. It's great counterlooping away from table, although I am naturally inclined to play closer to table.

I'd like to try TG2 neo, thinking to myself, might be a better fit for my inclinations. Does TG2 have a shorter natural arc than TG3?? thanks.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2021 at 4:03pm

I've always loved chinese rubber for my FH, but was always curious to know why they play so differently when they are all generally tacky rubbers on hard sponges.  I decided to separate the sponge from the topsheet on scraps of the popular hurricane and skyline rubbers made by DHS to see what makes them so different, and I thought I'd share Smile

Based on the pictures, this is what I observed:

Pip shape:

It seems to me from this comparison that larger pips are much easier to block with than narrow pips, while narrower pips produce a sharper arc on loops.  I also believe the larger the trapezoidal base of the pip is, the less dwell the rubber gives you (from the topsheet, sponge is a different factor).

If anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with these four rubbers, I'd love to hear your opinions!

TL;DR - Here are pictures of the pip structures of 4 popular DHS rubbers and my opinions of how they play and why.

edit:  I realized that I took these photos at a slight angle so the size proportions may look slightly skewed in the graphics, but my notes are based on observing the rubbers in person.

Thanks so much for this summary.  I was looking up 'pip structure of the hurricane rubbers' and this is a gold mine pic.

I recently bought 2 x hurricane 2 at $21 AUD each.  1 from ebay being the old original version and 1 from Aliexpress in the 'new' version... both not NEO or some other sponge variety.

Has anyone tried the new and the old?  Would like to know any differences... but I will review them eventually... (guess I'm just eagerly waiting after ripping the sponge on my 3 hour young H8)

I bought them for price and because I am getting older/staying close to the table more, and my loops on my forehand are going way to high from however I remember my forehand was meant to loop ages ago.  

The pips of the H2 in the pic remind me of the Tenergy 25 pips which makes sense as it was also the lowest arcing rubber.  It was a monster at a kind of perfect 'space' between an all out power drive/loop.  

I have tried the old H2 a very long time ago and found it impossible to do my shots with back then... but I need to try it again because a lot has changed about how I play now and how much I am willing to spend to do it.

I noticed that on the new package there is a mention of changes but who knows what marketing hype that is.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 12/09/2021 at 4:09pm
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2022 at 12:53am
Thank you Schen for the detailed pips structure breakdown.
While I know that the DHS Rubbers & Tenergy/ Dignics are totally different, especially during play.

May I ask, regarding only pips structure. Which Tenergy/ Dignics's pips structure is closest to TG2, TG3 and H3?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic