Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

inactive members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: inactive members
    Posted: 02/04/2019 at 12:03am
Among the members that were once super active and colorful in their posting style, who are the ones you are missing? I wish people like metalone and pondus show up again. Debraj and Li Xiao too. I am not missing Victor though; ok I am kidding, I am missing Victor too.
Have all a great week.

Edited by fatt - 02/06/2019 at 2:37pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 12:28am
Good Topic! Thumbs Up Maybe we can encourage some of them to come back!

tommyzai and Imago come to mind, Anton Chigurh... I'll think of a few more soon. Embarrassed

Edited by haggisv - 02/04/2019 at 1:33am
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
mickd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 12:30am
I'm not sure who most those people are. I only remember Victor. But I would also love more active members, even if it was just about everyday stuff.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 2:25am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

tommyzai and Imago come to mind, Anton Chigurh... I'll think of a few more soon. Embarrassed
Anton! we had such a fun time with him around, that wit! I wonder what happened to his brother and disciple Heimdallalso Big smile
yes, tommyzai and....hookshot! where are they?

Edited by fatt - 02/04/2019 at 2:26am
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 5:53pm
Fruit of the loop....LOLBig smile
Rosewood V FL

Thibar EL-P MAX FH

Rozena MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 6:12pm
Tommy Zai.. the "mad man".. he used to EJ like crazy and would constantly buy countless blades/rubbers of all shapes and sizes only to sell them all a week later. Back in the late 2000s when I joined he must have tried every single blade/rubber available at the time.
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2019 at 6:50pm
Next to the guys you've mentioned I should say how much I miss the vague image  of Imago , a dear friend and an owner of a club.......mad EJ and a wise man.
Hard to guess why those and many others active members left, but  I have a sneaking suspicion that discussing the same subjects over and over again is not  everyones cup of tea
Foco OFF+(2)
FH: Omega 7 Asia / MX-P
BH: Omega 7 Pro
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Hard to guess why those and many others active members left, but  I have a sneaking suspicion that discussing the same subjects over and over again is not  everyones cup of tea
yes, a big chunk of those who do not quit are the ones suffering short term memory problems, the rest stay with us probably because they have short term memory problems.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 11:08am
I miss ZApenholder (coach Tony). He is active on TTD so his wisdom is not lost, that’s a consolation.
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 4:11pm
I bought a Joola MC-1 from Tommy Zai. He's an EJ x 10!
Tony
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 4:34pm
definitely miss Agenthex. He had very insightful posts. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Fruit of the loop....LOLBig smile
mmmhh you remind me that young dude from Croatia I think, he was speed_king at first and changed his handle to master_of_loops.
He was the 1st to be crazy about the MJ and T05 when they came out.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

definitely miss Agenthex. He had very insightful posts. 
We're not going there, at least I am not, I got over it and I am healed now. I can't help but smiling tho, especially coming from a player like you.

A little nugget:

Bluebucket: Someone needs to give the man a bucket to catch the dribble or give me one to throw up in ! :)

AgentHex: Will the blue one do?

LOL
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 6:13pm

Next to the guys you've mentioned I should say how much I miss the vague image  of Imago , a dear friend and an owner of a club.......mad EJ and a wise man.

I have 3 friends who left the forum.  When I asked them why, their answers were similar to "it's a forum for EJ's and not much else".  I hang around waiting for the nuggets that are not EJ related.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 6:39pm
I don't remember his user name but he kept bringing up Victor Barna in every single conversation he participated in.

I believe that's why he was expelled. But I could be wrong.

FdT
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 7:06pm
berndt_mann? his account shows active; he lives in a home and is well over 70yo, he just lost interest I think.

Edited by fatt - 02/05/2019 at 7:14pm
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Ah yes, I remember these names from what I first started in the 08/09!  They were very helpful.  I also remember someone by the name of kurokami, being quite helpful too.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2019 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

berndt_mann? his account shows active; he lives in a home and is well over 70yo, he just lost interest I think.
yes berndt_mann. I got super annoyed by that guy. He hijacked every thread to spread his ideology.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 3:45am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I have 3 friends who left the forum.  When I asked them why, their answers were similar to "it's a forum for EJ's and not much else".  I hang around waiting for the nuggets that are not EJ related.

You would love the "EJ Dust spraying is killing off valuable forum contributors" thread I started on Table Tennis Daily. I express that sentiment and more.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 3:47am
Silver and HaggisV would agree that bringing back an 18 yr old *JC* would spice up the discussion and no-nonsense syndrome...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 3:48am
I don't hear anyone calling for SID to return or the long pips champ ex-Xiom distributor royale...
NDH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

You would love the "EJ Dust spraying is killing off valuable forum contributors" thread I started on Table Tennis Daily. I express that sentiment and more.

I'm not on these forums much, and have spent more time looking at TTD as it's slightly more European based.

But aside from the EJ type threads, what else do people want to talks about?

I generally lose interest because people talk as if they are Ma Long half the time, when in reality they are a low level player with little grasp on the game other than repeating what others have said, or reading tutorials.

I don't follow the circuit much, as it rarely has great media coverage.

For me, the most exciting thing about the sport is the equipment (despite rarely changing my set up, and not classing myself as an EJ).

I'd imagine the reason why the "better players" don't participate, is because it's a waste of time arguing with someone on the internet in a sport that is incredibly technical, and hard to describe through text.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by NDH NDH wrote:

I'd imagine the reason why the "better players" don't participate, is because it's a waste of time arguing with someone on the internet in a sport that is incredibly technical, and hard to describe through text.
High level players and coaches stop by all the time, maybe you are not here when their contributions are on top of the latest posts list.
When you go to a club, high level players are rare too and you see way more intermediate players and below, you see very few players of regional/national level if any. My question is: why would that ratio be different on a tt forum? what tt forum do you see featuring high level players who spend time for which  they charge only for material promotion? to me that does not bring much info other than they want to help selling it even though most often they are not using it. Their contribution is not more valuable than a low level player babbling about their experience.

Edited by fatt - 02/06/2019 at 11:36am
NDH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 11:43am
Oh, I agree 100% with that. 

I guess my question was, what do people want to see on these forums? 

If EJ talk is putting people off, what else do people want to talk about?

A lot of the posts I see are asking for advice on various different pieces of equipment, or general play style. 

A player with a low level can sound like Ma Long online, but it could be completely the wrong advice (I’ve seen it many times). 

In the end, people just stop replying to those threads because of that. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 12:09pm
"what do people want to see on these forums?"

This is a great question and best material to question ourselves wondering what we have to offer; it's not my job to answer though but I would guess camaraderie. Often, people at home can't relate to the complexity of the game and the passion we may have for it. At the club they like to play. The forums are the next place where they can let go of their connection to the game through which they breeze day and night. Sometimes I see this forum as a sort of lobby before the training hall; a kind of table tennis clubhouse online.

A lot more could be done but that is a next step I have no authority to take and I am not sure I want to change anything; our identity is solid as such, a bunch of EJ's using ping pong to clear the mess in their minds, hoping for a beneficial side effect over their whole life Tongue ; yes! playing better ping pong will make me better at anything else I do in life, I am so convinced of it, that's what I come to find here; 1/2 joke aside (we both know there is a part of truth in that), the mental aspect of the game is so huge that when I read intelligent people who can connect it to technique and propose a big picture that makes sense, I am in awe. I want to believe I know a thing or 2 about TT but I am also certain that there is a big gap between what I know and what I think I know: coming here reminds me of that and my buddies make sure to poke me when that gap gets too big.

Edited by fatt - 02/06/2019 at 12:11pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 12:58pm
The title s/b changed to Inactive members.
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I like your thinking's symmetry, would we balance it out the same if we ever gave the other thread another title like "members not gone" instead of "active members"? How about starting a poll? I'll vote for you Clap; or maybe "members not gone (yet)" is even better, to acknowledge all good things have an end, nothing lasts; or, as we say in French, "tout lasse, tout passe, tout casse."
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 2:32pm

I like your thinking's symmetry, would we balance it out the same if we ever gave the other thread another title like "members not gone" instead of "active members"? How about starting a poll? I'll vote for you Clap; or maybe "members not gone (yet)" is even better, to acknowledge all good things have an end, nothing lasts; or, as we say in French, "tout lasse, tout passe, tout casse."

it sounds like they passed. Confused
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 2:33pm
"This is a great question and best material to question ourselves wondering what we have to offer; it's not my job to answer though but I would guess camaraderie. Often, people at home can't relate to the complexity of the game and the passion we may have for it. At the club they like to play. The forums are the next place where they can let go of their connection to the game through which they breeze day and night. Sometimes I see this forum as a sort of lobby before the training hall; a kind of table tennis clubhouse online."

I could not agree more. We look for other ppl with the same level of passion online, since, in our lives we don't see many of those who share the same passion for TT. At the clubs we spend the time playing, and we don't have enough time to play with every single member of that club for whatever reason. Some members only play with specific partners. 

Here, I do find the odd tidbit, other info I would have never found elsewhere posted by some of the members and it is informative. Some ideas I don't agree with, like, the whole weight building and TT. But whatever, to each their own. It is interesting to hear different ideas and finding out about what the professionals do to solve certain problems. I especially pay attention to those occasions when a coach makes a post. 

And about EJ posts...well....It comes with the territory. Equipment reviews I do go over with some interest.

We are social animals after all. We want to relate to others who are interested in TT, because lets face it, our mom or girlfriend sure aren't interested!!!

FdT.

Edited by Fulanodetal - 02/06/2019 at 2:42pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2019 at 2:37pm

it sounds like they passed. Confused
title edited. thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic