Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Index finger hitting the ball ? A simple solution
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Index finger hitting the ball ? A simple solution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Index finger hitting the ball ? A simple solution
    Posted: 01/06/2019 at 5:45pm

For beginner players holding the paddle in shakehand style, the index finger tends to creep up into the middle of the paddle and hitting the ball in backhand strokes . It usually takes time to correct this problem .  Here is a very simple trick to deal with the issue : all you need  is a string and 2 rubber bands (see Photo 1 ) . 

For the string , I use a 12. inch.  segment of the electric wire from a broken earphone and tie it around the paddle  handle  with 2 rubber bands( See Photo 2 & 3 ).  When playing, just slip your index finger into the loop of the wire ( See Photo 4).

You might need to adjust the wire a bit to feel comfortable with the loop ( i.e. by pulling the end of the loop toward the end of the handle).

BTW, you can also  use the loop to hang the paddle up on the wall  (see Photo 5)  LOLLOLLOL

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Edited by mike1250 - 01/06/2019 at 6:23pm
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 5:34pm
that's ...unusual Smile
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 7:53pm
What the heck? That is so tacky.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2019 at 5:40am
I dunno. From my experience, the ball hitting the finger is usually caused by the player not reading the amount of incoming sidespin. This is especially true for beginners.I usually teach them to look at the ball onto the bat, and try to hit with that for forward third of the bat. They then make their own grip adjustments after that.

Edited by Tinykin - 01/11/2019 at 5:41am
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Darker Speed90 with T05 and Yinhe moon pro.

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

What the heck? That is so tacky.

Ha..Ha... Ha... surprised at its rediculous simplicity ? For those having issues with the index finger, try it out before commenting please . It works great for me . BTW, I am testing another trick to deal with this index finger , using just a loop made out of a piece of  string !! 

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2019 at 10:40pm
[QUOTE=Tinykin]

I just can't pinpoint why I have this index finger issue ?  After playing for a while, the index finger involuntarily  "travels" towards the middle of the  paddle and it eventually hits the ball when I switch to backhand . I use this trick to force my finger getting used to the correct position and  hopefully  I can play without it after  a few weeks .

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2019 at 11:30pm

Here is another trick to restrict the "travelling" index finger  :

Youtube link :

Edited by mike1250 - 01/12/2019 at 10:08am
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2019 at 3:35am
Originally posted by mike1250 mike1250 wrote:

[QUOTE=Tinykin]I just can't pinpoint why I have this index finger issue ?  After playing for a while, the index finger involuntarily  "travels" towards the middle of the  paddle and it eventually hits the ball when I switch to backhand . I use this trick to force my finger getting used to the correct position and  hopefully  I can play without it after  a few weeks .

I see your pov. I had one junior who had a very good FH both for hitting and control. His index finger was always straight up the back for FH play. I only noticed this when on some backhand shots the ball would hit his finger. I didn't want to affect his FH so I had him do a lot of X-H practice plus FH/BH drills on a robot. Problem sorted.
I assume that you are pass the the junior stage so habits are more ingrained. Therefore, you need more hours of practice, that 10k practice strokes is a real necessityLOL. Again, hours of drills of X-H with a partner and/or robot BH/FH.

Edited by Tinykin - 01/12/2019 at 3:37am
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Darker Speed90 with T05 and Yinhe moon pro.

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2019 at 8:58am
[QUOTE=Tinykin]

Thanks for sharing your solution . This "travelling index finger" may be more prevalent than I thought .
In the city I am living in, we do not have a table tennis club but only 6 tables set up in a  hallway of  a high school . The cityhall allows the public to use the facility after school hours only .  So you see,  I am trying my best  to fix my own issues without a coach & training equipments.
BTW, most of the people playing here are senior citizens over 65 . They enjoy the game to keep themselves in shape LOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by mike1250 - 01/12/2019 at 10:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic