Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interested to see what you make of my style.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 8:37am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

In any sport, when you stop moving your opponent can beat you. Thats true in any racket sport. Be it tennis, squash, table tennis, badminton, etc etc. You watcht the pros play they are always moving. Take Ma Lin for example.

You are a really funny person, lixiao. Amusing rather.

JKC doesn't need to move cause he is in control. Ma lin doesn't need to move when he plays you, liXiao. Same theory.. but well, you might nt get it anyway.
Sponsored Links

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 8:47am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

3 things I noticed:

- practically no touch shots play
- most hits were taken as the ball is going down (after the top of the bounce)

did you edit out the touch shots, the short serves, or the early hits (as the ball is rising, or at top of the bounce)?

My friend is really out of touch at the moment and struggling with his rubbers since glue was banned. As he was kind enough to appear in the vid I didn't think it was fair to put too many clips of me exposing this weakness. Afterall, I may want to make another vid with him in the future when he regains a bit more of his touch.

I do always tend to hit the ball after peak, and hardly ever smash the ball. It is much more fun making your opponent scramble around for 2 extra shots knowing they can never really get back into the point.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 9:49am
Great video..
I recognize you straight away from your serving vids. Good serves, great BH loop, and consistent spinny FH. Thanks JKC, I will learn a lot from it..
Beeray, I've seen 1800 rated player video before, he's nowhere near JKC, maybe your player is underrated??
I have also see 2400 rated player video, and I think JKC is somewhere in between, it's hard to tell, but I think he is 2100-2200 at least.. Big%20smile

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 1:17pm
I think its extremely tough to judge his rating by that video alone. For instance, if a 1800 player plays a 1300 player, the 1800 player would seem much much higher rated, whereas if the 1800 player played a 1750 player his game play would much more closely reflect his actual rating.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 1:22pm
It is a shame there is no direct comparison between the different ranking systems, because it would be interesting to know when you all talk about your ratings where I might fit in.
It would be difficult though because over time the points on the English ranking list go up as they give you more than they take away as some sort of incentive to enter more tournaments. And recently they took 10% off everyone for some strange reason, to make it more difficult to move up and down I think.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

One thing I noticed is that you do not smash the ball with the forehand when you have the chance, even when really high, for almost certain winners. Are you going easy with your opponent?
I don't smash that often, looping is more fun. I was trying to keep the rallies going longer too.

I was watching Fan Yiyong playing the final of the portland pacific rim open (Yong has been #1 in US for the last 10 years or so) a few years ago and he always looped high balls; ALWAYS. Even the highest balls for control he will prefer to topspin them and it's fun to see the ball from high up gaining speed _AFTER_ it touches the table.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:16pm
I don't think you need to work on your fitness level. You probably would beat almost everyone here by not moving and doing what you do. But, it wouldn't hurt to lay off the twinkies a little ;)
Anyway, your style is cool. Very deceptive and efficient. You probably could play 10 games straight and not get tired.
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by ajchien ajchien wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I dont know about the 1800s you play with.. but the ones I know are plenty capable of such things as backhand counter loops and 3rd ball BH winners.

Well, we're both from California then. I must say i don't see 1800 players with effective BH counterloops. Landing a BH counterloop once or twice in a night of play (which I think an 1800 can do) is nothing like landing them with consistently and with placement.

From what I have read on about.com TT forums, many players in SF Bay Area are underrated by as much as 200-300 points. It is said to be because of rapidly improving kids (some coaching centers training a lot of kids here). A kid gets a rating of 900, gets coaching for 3 months, and beats a 1200 rated guy. This guy gets underrated, beats a guy of similar level, and there is another underrated guy. The effect cacscades, and when equillibrium is reached, the area as a whole gets underrated. Not many players travel elsewhere to play tournaments. So, the ratings remain that way.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by infinite_loop infinite_loop wrote:

Originally posted by ajchien ajchien wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I dont know about the 1800s you play with.. but the ones I know are plenty capable of such things as backhand counter loops and 3rd ball BH winners.

Well, we're both from California then. I must say i don't see 1800 players with effective BH counterloops. Landing a BH counterloop once or twice in a night of play (which I think an 1800 can do) is nothing like landing them with consistently and with placement.

From what I have read on about.com TT forums, many players in SF Bay Area are underrated by as much as 200-300 points. It is said to be because of rapidly improving kids (some coaching centers training a lot of kids here). A kid gets a rating of 900, gets coaching for 3 months, and beats a 1200 rated guy. This guy gets underrated, beats a guy of similar level, and there is another underrated guy. The effect cacscades, and when equillibrium is reached, the area as a whole gets underrated. Not many players travel elsewhere to play tournaments. So, the ratings remain that way.

it is true for the whole US west coast
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

Great work JKC! Although admittedly at first I thought "meh, I could do that" until I saw how consistent your placement was.

same here, your backhand really looks pretty spectacular, mainly because of the consistency in the great placements you pull off. In that video your forehand looked like a big weakness since you were always letting the ball drop way too low before looping (obviously your low loops were still great under the circumstances, but would never work to consistently do that against a better opponent).
Against stronger players I would suggest more short serves/short play (ofc. maybe you already do that)
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:48pm
Shorter serves and more touchplay available as needed.

I think a major factor which has given me my current style is the fact that my only real practice partner has been a chopper for the last 8 years or so. This means I always have plenty of time to spare and prepare for the next shot in practice and never really get rushed. The looping style has probably developed from there.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 4:10pm
It takes talent to know talent... Guess that's why people with a good rating says nice things while the lesser players prefer to say bad things about JKC's game.

Me, I'm the exeption, I'm a lesser player who still recognize JKC's skill. While looking kind of awkward, he does get the ball back very consistent and he does move, actually, he moves quite a bit, but what some people fails to realize is that he moves in-between his shots rather then moving to reach the ball. This comes from anticipation and having a good strategy with your game.

Good video JKC!
The holy grail
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 4:50pm
actually, he moves quite a bit, but what some people fails to realize is that he moves in-between his shots rather then moving to reach the ball. This comes from anticipation and having a good strategy with your game.

Nice analysis.  Smile     Anticipation can make up for lack of mobility quite a bit.  That's why top players always pay attention to their opponents' stance, their shoulder angle, and then ultimately their opponents' racket angle at contact to anticipate the direction of incoming ball.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

It takes talent to know talent... Guess that's why people with a good rating says nice things while the lesser players prefer to say bad things about JKC's game.

Me, I'm the exeption, I'm a lesser player who still recognize JKC's skill. While looking kind of awkward, he does get the ball back very consistent and he does move, actually, he moves quite a bit, but what some people fails to realize is that he moves in-between his shots rather then moving to reach the ball. This comes from anticipation and having a good strategy with your game.

Good video JKC!

I like this idea Speedplay, that means the nicer things you say about my game, the better player you yourself are. Why didn't I put it like that earlier. I could have been up to 2500 or 2600 by nowLOL (however good that is?)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 8:19am
Someone on Youtube seems to have got the impression from the vid that I use long pimples. Does it really look like that?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 9:16am
there! I am done watching the video.
About footwork: it has been said above but I'll confirm: anticipation makes him look like he does not move but watch again: he's on the ball and the ball does not come all the time at the same place right? so he moves. As he said himself the other guy's strokes are a bit slower so jkc has time to get to the ball and he appears to be slow. I'd say he should not go faster since it's questionable to go really fast and stop brutally at the ball, like an idiot on the road who would accelerate like crazy only to jump on the brakes right away at the next light.
Look at federer: his footwork is the best I know and he does little steps all the time and on a long rally he does not seem that fast but he's on the ball almost all the time.
About the BH: SWEET! My friends say my BH is better even though I am (should be?) looking forward to playing a FH if I can as Kreanga himself says in the BTY training video. jkc's is nice, made off the bounce with a stroke that hits the ball after having gained enough momentum thanks to a really efficient wrist snap that is done at the right time, during the last half/third of the forearm stroke.
Only one remark  about the FH: the arm moves but it seems like if more body was put in the stroke it would go from somehow lethal to devastating. I am thinking about (I am reading the book here...) weight to be shifted to the right leg then shifted back to the left to give momentum to a rotating upper body before -and during- arm's work.
The placement of those strokes and consistency in general are really nice and that must make you a popular practice partner!
Thanks for sharing the video.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The placement of those strokes and consistency in general are really nice and that must make you a popular practice partner!
Thanks for sharing the video.

That's why Fred's strokes is very good for his age.. Don't think he'll be that good if his father weren't JKC.. Wink
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 11:50am

It is a case of 'do as I say and not as I do' when it comes to Fred's coaching. It's a good job I know what his stroke should be like or he would be in trouble. Might try to get a bit of my backhand into him though.

IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

One thing I noticed is that you do not smash the ball with the forehand when you have the chance, even when really high, for almost certain winners. Are you going easy with your opponent?
I don't smash that often, looping is more fun. I was trying to keep the rallies going longer too.

Don't mean to tease you but I tend not to believe you on this one. I've got about 3 players in my club who never developed good smashing technique and every time they get a high ball they would also block it on the table instead, like I see you do it in your video. Incidentally they are players with a lot stronger BH side, just like you.
You've got amazing feel for the ball. I was enjoying your video!
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2008 at 5:26pm
Don't get me wrong, I don't use it unless I am forced to, and although it is not a rocket, it is usually good enough. It would be the first area of my game I would work on if I wanted to improve rapidly but I can't really be bothered with any serious training at the moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic