Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is ML's technique inferior to ZJK and FZD?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is ML's technique inferior to ZJK and FZD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2014 at 3:43am
I won't say it's about the technique, it's about the style and direction.  On-the-table BH and close-to-table BH are so important to top players today. ML has great FH and also great away-from-table BH, but close-to-table players with great BH like ZJK and FZD often have advantage, their opening is better than ML's and they can force Ma Long to play BH-BH game where ML can't use his strength.
Sponsored Links

Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2014 at 4:21am
I find that ZJK has a more compact yet more powerful backhand loop. His wrist and elbow action is very compact and he can recover quite quickly after each loop.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 12:25pm
Below is FZD's reflection on that CTTSL post-season match against ZJK.  It is taken from the 10th issue of the Table Tennis World of the year.

You are very unhappy about your own performance in the CTTSL final, aren't you?

Right.  Through that match it is also made obvious that there are many problems with my game.  When playing ZJK, I feel helpless whenever I can't keep up with the backhand, that there is nowhere to go.  He is so strong on the left half side of the table that I can't come up with any answer.  For this, during the training for the Asian games, coach Wu had me add some short pushes when receiving to mix and match and come up with something.  Just because a certain technique doesn't work out doesn't mean a match is a lost cause.  That way my baseline would be set too low.

Edited by zeio - 12/17/2014 at 12:41pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 3:30pm
thanks for translating the interviews. It's interesting to know what the players themselves have to say about their opponents ^__^
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2014 at 11:22pm
Now that we know what the players feel over their losses, let's move on to the technical bits.

In the CNT coaches debriefing session last December, WJP gave the following assessments on WH and FZD.

"WH being able to beat ML to advance to the final was truly beyond my expectation.  To sum up, there were two key points - one was a good mental state, without any burden and pressure, that is, happy table tennis.  The other was strengthened defense."

"FZD's days on the first-string team is still too short, who has yet to undergo rigorous psychological, technical and tactical, and physical training, where there is still a lot of room for development.  In particular, his forehand deadliness, ability to attack consecutively and finesse in third-ball attack all need a comprehensive improvement."  He also stated that FZD's training has got to revolve around the concept that "superior technique is key".

Edited by zeio - 12/17/2014 at 11:24pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 5:22am
The passage below is taken from the 2nd issue of Table Tennis World of this year.

After FZD's winning in the singles final at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing, Cai Zhenhua gave the comment "if he keeps practicing like this, no hope."

That comment was directed specifically at WJP after Cai finished watching the match.  WJP felt suddenly awakened, "it is true FZD should not imitate WH to only rely on the chiquita for everything over the table.  He also needs to learn from ML's third-ball finesse and ZJK's backhand prowess, the main point being that he must beef up on transitioning after receiving and also increase his forehand use."

Edited by zeio - 12/19/2014 at 5:23am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 6:10am
After ZJK succeeded in retaining his World Champion title in Paris, an article was published with a general analysis of his success.

Duan Xiang, former associate director of the CTTA Scientific Research Committee and vice chairman of Shanghai table tennis association, dissects that the three major components of table tennis technique is "speed, power and spin", based on the high-level synthesis of which a platform is formed where the battle of change in space and pace is unfolded.  "The technique of the majority of foreign players still remains in the 5th generation, whereas we have already reached the 7th generation.  WLQ, ML and Boll are representative of the 6th generation.  WH belongs to the 6 and a half generation, while ZJK is the 7th generation."  Duan Xiang adds that "the 5th generation is able to integrate only two of the three major elements, yet ZJK's 7th gen technique is already a high-level integration of all three elements.  Whether it be speed, power, and spin, or either forehand or backhand, everything is situated at a high level, hence, the resulting shots are also on a whole different level."

Sadly, there is no mention of ML, we can only deduce and assume that he also belongs to the 7th gen in normal times but delivers below 6 and a half at crucial moments.  From WJP's comment, FZD would be nothing less than 7th gen, as well.

Edited by zeio - 12/19/2014 at 6:54am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 9:35am
Thank you zeio. 

Since you have access to articles like this how do you interpret what is said at a practical level?
YE JTTAA
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:05am
fatt-

If you have not seen this vid I think you will find it very interesting. Definitely talking about how the leg and the hip are used to generate power. Would love to get a translation of this vid or even just a summary. 

YE JTTAA
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Waldme1ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldme1ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 7:40pm
Sorry for pouring oil into the fire, but watching this point I immediately thought of this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4q15BfXN45c#t=75

I'm sure Wang Hao, Wang Liqin etc. would have wacked that poor receive beyond the opponent. It's only one point of course, but it shows the difference between Ma Long and the other chinese in the ability to loop drive I think.
I seem to be the only one pointing to Ma's FH though...

Edited by Waldme1ster - 12/22/2014 at 7:47pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Thank you zeio. 

Since you have access to articles like this how do you interpret what is said at a practical level?
That's a difficult question.

Unless you are someone who competes near the top of the food chain, to be honest, much of the contents found in those articles have limited bearing on the average joe.  In fact, they can give the wrong impression at times.

Say, technical superiority.  The double-inverted loop-attack style coupled with the shakehand grip is arguably the most advanced at the elite level.  Once you look past that, though, the defining features that set it apart from the rest begin to fade away.  There is a trend frequently seen at the amateur level - a player with purportedly superior technique loses to a player with seemingly inferior technique.  Different from the elite level, the frequency of occurrence can hardly be attributed entirely as psychological.  That "inferior" player may not look like much in warm-up, often playing with poor strokes, some even outright ugly form, yet that player has a lot of practical tactics in his/her arsenal that, when combined with the weird, unorthodox skill set, is capable of giving the unaccustomed "superior" player a really hard time.  Even though speed, spin, and power often serve as an indicator of technical sophistication, skill and variation remain at the core of table tennis.

Another under-appreciated aspect of playing an advanced game is high maintenance.  At my club, at the top there are three "advanced", registered division 1/2 players(1 inverted/pips shakehander and 2 double-inverted penholders, one with full RPB and the other mixed RPB/TPB) and two "old-school" players(single-side inverted penholders).  They are all technically sound and solid, but the strokes of the two old-school players are not as polished.  From my non-scientific observation, one of the three advanced players tends to show a greater degree of fluctuation than the other two who train almost daily, and the two old-school players who only show up from time to time remain at an appreciably competitive level despite a lack of systematic training.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

After ZJK succeeded in retaining his World Champion title in Paris, an article was published with a general analysis of his success.

Duan Xiang, former associate director of the CTTA Scientific Research Committee and vice chairman of Shanghai table tennis association, dissects that the three major components of table tennis technique is "speed, power and spin", based on the high-level synthesis of which a platform is formed where the battle of change in space and pace is unfolded.  "The technique of the majority of foreign players still remains in the 5th generation, whereas we have already reached the 7th generation.  WLQ, ML and Boll are representative of the 6th generation.  WH belongs to the 6 and a half generation, while ZJK is the 7th generation."  Duan Xiang adds that "the 5th generation is able to integrate <span style="line-height: 11.1999998092651px;">only</span><span style="line-height: 11.1999998092651px;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">two of the three major elements, yet ZJK's 7th gen technique is already a high-level integration of all three elements.  Whether it be speed, power, and spin, or either forehand or backhand, everything is situated at a high level, hence, the resulting shots are also on a whole different level."</span>

Sadly, there is no mention of ML, we can only deduce and assume that he also belongs to the 7th gen in normal times but delivers below 6 and a half at crucial moments.  From WJP's comment, FZD would be nothing less than 7th gen, as well.

According to your translated quote, ML is in the sixth generation.

I don't know how he's lacking on either of the three, but his reliance on FH as main weapon forces him to expose himself when facing players with better FH-BH balance. A bit like Xu Xin, though less marked.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

According to your translated quote, ML is in the sixth generation.

I don't know how he's lacking on either of the three, but his reliance on FH as main weapon forces him to expose himself when facing players with better FH-BH balance. A bit like Xu Xin, though less marked.
ML = Ma Lin
ML = Ma Long
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Butt Stallion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butt Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 2:55pm
Seriously guys this whole decision about Ma Long vs. Zhang Jike is non sense!! There is no conspiracy behind this and techniques are simple explained, here are some facts:

1. These 2 are the best players in the world, followed by XX and FZD (even its very close, they are still a little bit better)
2. Ma Longs forehand is better than ZJKs overall, ZJKs backhand is more advanced compared to Ma Longs.
3. Both of them practise together EVERY DAY, which means they know each other that good its always 50:50 who wins.
4. Ma Long shit his pants when it comes to the BIG tournaments so there will be always advantage at ZJK.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 4:42pm
A recent episode of the Stiga V Table Tennis features WJP's thoughts on FZD and his current stance on the team.

Quote 小胖他现在才17岁
到2020年时候他正好23岁
最成熟的年龄
到2024年27岁
到2028年31岁
他都完全有可能
因为他的打法横板
他跟直板要求不一样
王励勤打到三十几岁的时候
身体照样挺好
而且还能打
如果小胖的话如果他能够
现在给他打好基础的话
他将来的路子肯定走的
比许昕要远
而且他的成绩弄不好
可能要比许昕要好
因为许昕他现在面临挑战
张继科马龙
不管是世锦赛你要想拿单打冠军
必须得赢这俩人
奥运会你要想拿单打冠军
你必须得赢这俩
但目前来讲他还属于下风
所以他前面有堵兵
小胖我说到2016年以后
前面没有堵兵
后面没有追兵
现在你的日子是最好过的
很难有这种时候
现在后面第五号队里面
都不知道谁是第五号主力
除了他们四个人
都不知道谁是第五号
感觉谁都有可能是
谁都有可能不是
但前面你说张继科马龙
马龙如果说2016年拿了单打冠军
奥运会单打冠军
那么他还可能往2020年走
如果马龙拿不了
张继科拿了
张继科不可能再扛到2020年了
马龙那时候有这种打击
他还能抗到2020年嘛
他要抗不了就许昕和小胖了
许昕也30岁了2020年
所以对于小胖来讲呢
前面没有堵兵
后面没有追兵
他现在比后面那帮人
他都把后面那帮人拉大差距了
但也许这几年后面也会
突然再冒出一个小胖来
可能给他造成威胁
但目前队里面现在
还看不见这种人
所以小胖他这个年龄段
和时间段很少有这种时候
你说国梁小辉
他们最顶尖的时候
后面马琳王励勤顶在他们后面
马琳王励勤最顶尖的时候
王皓顶在他们后面
等马琳王励勤王皓最鼎盛的时候
马龙张继科顶在他们后面
到了马龙张继科许昕他们时候
小胖又顶在他们后面
始终前面有堵兵后面有追兵
都属于那种情况
因为小胖我了解他
带着他打了那么多比赛
他关键球的处理
他骨子里面的要求
他对自己要求很高的
他很佩服张继科
他愿意跟在张继科跟他在一块
但是呢他心里不服
他谁都想赢你
这就是他的一种心理
一种心理素质
我佩服你但是我想赢你

Translation:
Chubby is just 17 years old now
In 2020, he will be right at 23 years old
in his absolute prime
In 2024, 27 years old
In 2028, 31 years old
He is completely capable for all of them
Coz he plays shakehand
The requirement is different from penhold
When WLQ was thirty some years old
his physical condition was still pretty good
and still remained competitive
In Chubby's case, if he is able
to lay a solid foundation right now
His career will no doubt be
much longer than XX
And god knows his achievements will 
probably be greater than XX's
Because now XX faces his own challenge
ZJK, ML
Be it the WTTC where you want to claim the singles champion title
he's gotta beat those two
Or the Olympics where you want to become the singles winner
you've gotta get past those two
But as of this moment he is still the underdog
And so he has got blockers in front of him
For Chubby, I say after 2016
there'll be no blockers ahead
or pursuers behind
Right now these are your best days
Occasions that are few and far between
As for the current No. 5 on the team
No one even knows who that may be
Other than the big four
Nobody knows who the No. 5 is
It feels like it might be anyone
yet at the same time it might not be anyone
Now move back to ZJK and ML
Suppose ML wins singles in 2016
Olympic singles winner
then he may play until 2020
In case ML doesn't win and
ZJK wins
there is no way ZJK will hold on to 2020
ML will then take a blow
that will he be able to keep up till 2020?
In case he doesn't then it will come down to XX and Chubby
XX will already be 30 in 2020
So for Chubby
there'll be no blockers
and pursuers
Compared to the bunch in the back, he
he has widened the gap between himself and them
But perhaps in the next few years there will
come out of blue another Chubby
and create threats for him
But as of now on the team
there is no such one
So for Chubby's age segment
and time segment, an occassion like this is very rare
Say Guoliang and Xiao Hui(little Hui, KLH)
When they were at the top
WLQ and MLin were pushing on behind them
When WLQ and MLin were at the top
WH was pushing on behind them
Then when MLin, WLQ and WH were in their primes
ML and ZJK were pushing on behind them
And now for the era of ML, ZJK and XX
there is Chubby pushing on from behind
There always are blockers and pursuers
occassions like that
Since I know Chubby
after bringing him to play so many tournaments
His handling of crucial points
His innate quest
He is very demanding of himself
He admires ZJK very much
He is willing to stick around ZJK, yet
deep down, he remains unconvinced
that he wants to beat you
That is his mentality
A mental quality
I admire you but I still want to beat you

Edited by zeio - 12/26/2014 at 4:47pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2014 at 5:56pm

A recent episode of the Stiga V Table Tennis features WJP's thoughts on FZD and his current stance on the team...

Wow! As always thank you very much zeio for all those awesome works/translations !
These Stiga V TT seems really interesting. If only I could understand chinese Cry.

This is a bit off topic but I saw in the serie one with Wang Manyu (recent WJTTC champion) and I'd like to know a bit more about her story.
If someone (zeio or anyone else) can make a translation (even a quick summary) please, I would be very grateful !
Thanks in advance.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzY3MDg3NDE2.html

Edit : Maybe it'd be better to post the translation/summary in the WJTTC 2014 thread if someone can do it. Thanks again.
          http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69293&title=2014-world-junior-tt-championships

Edited by john18 - 12/26/2014 at 6:13pm
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2014 at 10:12pm

A recent episode of the Stiga V Table Tennis features WJP's thoughts on FZD and his current stance on the team.

Quote 小胖他现在才17岁
到2020年时候他正好23岁
最成熟的年龄
到2024年27岁
到2028年31岁
他都完全有可能
因为他的打法横板
他跟直板要求不一样
王励勤打到三十几岁的时候
身体照样挺好
而且还能打
如果小胖的话如果他能够
现在给他打好基础的话
他将来的路子肯定走的
比许昕要远
而且他的成绩弄不好
可能要比许昕要好
因为许昕他现在面临挑战
张继科马龙
不管是世锦赛你要想拿单打冠军
必须得赢这俩人
奥运会你要想拿单打冠军
你必须得赢这俩
但目前来讲他还属于下风
所以他前面有堵兵
小胖我说到2016年以后
前面没有堵兵
后面没有追兵
现在你的日子是最好过的
很难有这种时候
现在后面第五号队里面
都不知道谁是第五号主力
除了他们四个人
都不知道谁是第五号
感觉谁都有可能是
谁都有可能不是
但前面你说张继科马龙
马龙如果说2016年拿了单打冠军
奥运会单打冠军
那么他还可能往2020年走
如果马龙拿不了
张继科拿了
张继科不可能再扛到2020年了
马龙那时候有这种打击
他还能抗到2020年嘛
他要抗不了就许昕和小胖了
许昕也30岁了2020年
所以对于小胖来讲呢
前面没有堵兵
后面没有追兵
他现在比后面那帮人
他都把后面那帮人拉大差距了
但也许这几年后面也会
突然再冒出一个小胖来
可能给他造成威胁
但目前队里面现在
还看不见这种人
所以小胖他这个年龄段
和时间段很少有这种时候
你说国梁小辉
他们最顶尖的时候
后面马琳王励勤顶在他们后面
马琳王励勤最顶尖的时候
王皓顶在他们后面
等马琳王励勤王皓最鼎盛的时候
马龙张继科顶在他们后面
到了马龙张继科许昕他们时候
小胖又顶在他们后面
始终前面有堵兵后面有追兵
都属于那种情况
因为小胖我了解他
带着他打了那么多比赛
他关键球的处理
他骨子里面的要求
他对自己要求很高的
他很佩服张继科
他愿意跟在张继科跟他在一块
但是呢他心里不服
他谁都想赢你
这就是他的一种心理
一种心理素质
我佩服你但是我想赢你

Translation:
Chubby is just 17 years old now
In 2020, he will be right at 23 years old
in his absolute prime
In 2024, 27 years old
In 2028, 31 years old
He is completely capable for all of them
Coz he plays shakehand
The requirement is different from penhold
When WLQ was thirty some years old
his physical condition was still pretty good
and still remained competitive
In Chubby's case, if he is able
to lay a solid foundation right now
His career will no doubt be
much longer than XX
And god knows his achievements will 
probably be greater than XX's
Because now XX faces his own challenge
ZJK, ML
Be it the WTTC where you want to claim the singles champion title
he's gotta beat those two
Or the Olympics where you want to become the singles winner
you've gotta get past those two
But as of this moment he is still the underdog
And so he has got blockers in front of him
For Chubby, I say after 2016
there'll be no blockers ahead
or pursuers behind
Right now these are your best days
Occasions that are few and far between
As for the current No. 5 on the team
No one even knows who that may be
Other than the big four
Nobody knows who the No. 5 is
It feels like it might be anyone
yet at the same time it might not be anyone
Now move back to ZJK and ML
Suppose ML wins singles in 2016
Olympic singles winner
then he may play until 2020
In case ML doesn't win and
ZJK wins
there is no way ZJK will hold on to 2020
ML will then take a blow
that will he be able to keep up till 2020?
In case he doesn't then it will come down to XX and Chubby
XX will already be 30 in 2020
So for Chubby
there'll be no blockers
and pursuers
Compared to the bunch in the back, he
he has widened the gap between himself and them
But perhaps in the next few years there will
come out of blue another Chubby
and create threats for him
But as of now on the team
there is no such one
So for Chubby's age segment
and time segment, an occassion like this is very rare
Say Guoliang and Xiao Hui(little Hui, KLH)
When they were at the top
WLQ and MLin were pushing on behind them
When WLQ and MLin were at the top
WH was pushing on behind them
Then when MLin, WLQ and WH were in their primes
ML and ZJK were pushing on behind them
And now for the era of ML, ZJK and XX
there is Chubby pushing on from behind
There always are blockers and pursuers
occassions like that
Since I know Chubby
after bringing him to play so many tournaments
His handling of crucial points
His innate quest
He is very demanding of himself
He admires ZJK very much
He is willing to stick around ZJK, yet
deep down, he remains unconvinced
that he wants to beat you
That is his mentality
A mental quality
I admire you but I still want to beat you

Is 'Chubby' the nickname of FZD in the team?
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 4:18pm
Yes
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

A recent episode of the Stiga V Table Tennis features WJP's thoughts on FZD and his current stance on the team...

Wow! As always thank you very much zeio for all those awesome works/translations !
These Stiga V TT seems really interesting. If only I could understand chinese Cry.

This is a bit off topic but I saw in the serie one with Wang Manyu (recent WJTTC champion) and I'd like to know a bit more about her story.
If someone (zeio or anyone else) can make a translation (even a quick summary) please, I would be very grateful !
Thanks in advance.

Edit : Maybe it'd be better to post the translation/summary in the WJTTC 2014 thread if someone can do it. Thanks again.
          http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69293&title=2014-world-junior-tt-championships

Edited by zeio - 12/28/2014 at 6:56pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

fatt-

If you have not seen this vid I think you will find it very interesting. Definitely talking about how the leg and the hip are used to generate power. Would love to get a translation of this vid or even just a summary. 

In the video the narrator introduces ZJK's backhand backspin opener, emphasizing the unparalleled amount of spin and power.  A detailed description of his stroke follows, first for crosscourt and then along the line, and several case studies to wrap up.

Backhand crosscourt

[Starting at 1:50]First, there is a huge bend in ZJK's legs
Trunk rotates to the left, with the racket drawn back between the upper legs, and elbow joint pointing forward
Center of gravity(CoG) presses forward, with the lower back forming a bow
Then, left leg stamps and rotates to the front right, using the elbow joint as a pivot to swing the racket
Contact the top half of the ball, extending the wrist along swiftly, with plenty of grazing on the ball
Right after, arm swings along to the side, to lower the shot trajectory
Lastly, knee joints bounce back, to prepare for the next shot
Below let's do a detailed analysis on ZJK's leg movement
Left knee bends at nearly right angle, waiting to be released
Upper body rotates to the left sufficiently
After impact the CoG transfers between both legs(more to right leg)
Trunk rotates to the front

Backhand along the line

[3:31]Different from looping crosscourt, hand starts lower when looping along the line, with the trunk rotation more to the left
CoG thrusts forward AMAP, to reduce the amount transferred to the right leg
When looping along the line the entire backswing of ZJK is much more to the left
The scope of displacement of CoG is less than for crosscourt, and trunk rotates a little to the right
Stamping forward primarily, and to the side supplementarily
The variation between going crosscourt and along the line is to be done through the control of CoG and trunk-legs
Take note
1 Amateurs have got to take particular care in finding a relatively comfortable timing when practicing backspin opener
Only when timing is held sufficiently constant, would the shot be consistent
2 It is of paramount import to actively graze the ball
Only after grooving the feel of "biting the ball", would you be able to loop with strong spin
3 Make good use of legs and trunk like a bow like ZJK
Only when trunk-legs control is achieved, would the entire body be activated
4 Arm does not merely exert force to the front upon impact
but also swing to the side along with trunk to press on the ball(key)
This way the shot carries a huge amount of spin, and a very low trajectory

Case One
Side-backspin serve followed by backhand loop

Case Two
Reverse pendulum serve followed by backhand loop

Case Three
Push rallies followed by backhand loop

Edited by zeio - 12/29/2014 at 4:49pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2014 at 4:52am

Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thank you very very much zeio !
You're the best ! And you should deserve a special status above Gold Member like Diamond Member ! Big smileBig smileBig smile
Thank you !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic