Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there such a thing as too much Limba?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there such a thing as too much Limba?
    Posted: 08/21/2013 at 11:54pm
That's the question member assiduous will attempt to answer.   Recently, I built a custom blade for him with a limba core, which was a new use of limba for me.  This got me considering an all-Limba blade to see if it would be practical and/or desirable.  I built the blade below, and was surprised that it was not super fast, given the core density.  Assiduous expressed his curiosity about the blade and has generously agreed to give it a test.  I'll be shipping it out tomorrow.

Specs:
Composition: Limba-Limba-Limba-Limba-Limba (core is black Limba)
Thickness: 5.5mm
Weight: 94g
ST Buckeye Burl handle

Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:14am
Ross that blade is so ugly that it's beautiful! I hope he gives a nice detailed evaluation for all of us. All limba sounds very different but interesting.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:30am
Wow...what a beautiful blade!
Since the handle is solid does it make the blade head light? Also are you able to shape the handle different format - I am thinking like a tennis racquet?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:32am
If it'll play well with someone, or if someone finds it comfortable, then no, it won't be too much limba..same goes with other materials, blade weight, etc etc
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 2:09am
I would like to test is as well if possible...as you know i was thinking of a 7 ply limba...so this is very very interesting...and i like the ST handle...if possible to test it next...i will pay for the shipping...let me know thanks.
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 2:20am
As far as I know the only reason anyone uses Ayous as a core is the feeling it gives and the light weight. Limba should play with more spin no doubt, will it feel as good, that's the interesting question
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 4:48am
Tibhar has already done this:  Tibhar Blaszyk (spelling ??)

5 Ply of  Limbas.....

It is not fast yet I think I better have Limba as the outer and intermediate layers, not as the core.

EDIT:

Sorry, this is the correct spelling:   Tibhar Blaszczyk

Edited by doraemon - 08/22/2013 at 4:50am
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Specs:
Composition: Limba-Limba-Limba-Limba-Limba (core is black Limba)
Thickness: 5.5mm
Weight: 94g
ST Buckeye Burl handle
Ross, would it surprise you or anyone else if I said, "Nice handle. Like it a lot."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:14am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Wow...what a beautiful blade!
Since the handle is solid does it make the blade head light? Also are you able to shape the handle different format - I am thinking like a tennis racquet?
This handle is solid, but most of my handles are hollowed to reduce the weight of the hardwood grips.  I selected the buckeye burl because it was lightweight - light enough that I did not need to hollow the grips.  The blade is head heavy due to the limba core.  Yes, I do have other handle shapes.

Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

I would like to test is as well if possible...as you know i was thinking of a 7 ply limba...so this is very very interesting...and i like the ST handle...if possible to test it next...i will pay for the shipping...let me know thanks.
That would be great, thanks.  You can coordinate with assiduous to get the blade when he's done.

Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Ross, would it surprise you or anyone else if I said, "Nice handle. Like it a lot."
No surprise here.  Smile  The buckeye burl definitely has a "look."  This was the first time I used it, and there's a more recent blade using it - photos posted over on ooak.  It's very interesting to look at up close, but I'm not entirely sure I like the overall effect.  I think I might like it more in a smaller dose.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:25am
Ayous in inferior to limba in every aspect.  Except weight and cost : )

puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:26am
Hmmm.  Needs more limba.  Maybe a limba handle?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hmmm.  Needs more limba.  Maybe a limba handle?
The thought did occur to me.  I resisted.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:37am
I'll be really interested hear how this blade plays (I'm a big limba lover myself).

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:38am
You should make a 9-ply limba blade, you know.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

It could be done, but the weight would go up due to the extra glue layers.  The glue accounts for 1g-1.5g per layer.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 10:21am
Yeah.. 94g for a 5 ply blade, it would easily be 105g+ for a 9 ply blade. 

:o

Good job though!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 11:45pm
Best Limba all-wood blade i have used!

I have had 4 Primoracs, Maximus, Korbel, Clipper, IF ALC, IF ZLC. I also bough two custom limba blades from Ross already this year, in the pursuit of the perfect limba blade. Aside from playing extensively with all of these blades, I have spent a lot of time researching the properties of the cores and thinking about what should be used for the core. 

The problem with the all-wood limba blades is one - control. No matter what they tell you, limba is too soft to wrap around a even softer ayous and expect good accuracy away from the table. It is physically impossible. I'm not saying its bad, but the moment you compare to a koto blade and you feel extra stability in long trajectory. The thing is, the limba outers have such great feel, and allow opening loops even against the heaviest backspin. Koto is much less cooperative in that regard. So I spent a lot of money trying to find a blade that has the opening loop of Korbel, but the stability of a koto blade.

The only variable that is left to modify is the core, if you want to keep the outer veneers. So in my first effort with Ross we made a limba blade with west red cedar core. Very nice feel, extra punch compared to Korbel, but difficult to control. Especially passive blocks - the ball jumped out of control sometimes. For the second blade I, the genius I am, decided to put limba core (smart) but instead of two limba plies I put only one, thick ayous ply. The goal was to have extra dwelly and soft BH, but hard and powerful FH. In hindsight, that was a mistake. The problem is that the BH plies also support the rest of the blade for rigidity. Since it was a single soft ply instead of two transposed plies, the blade became too flexy. That blade has too much dwell. I did not think that's possible, but it is. It is just crazy. You expect the ball to take off the paddle already but it is still on the paddle. It messes up with your timing because you are not used to such long contact with the ball. Also, because of the flex, accuracy was not that great if you step away from the table.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 12:01am
And finally about the new blade. Everything I wanted to achieve is in this blade. I am telling you, if you like Korbel or Primorac or Clipper, you will LOVE this blade. The only flaw would be the weight, but I always look for blades over 90 gr, so that is not a flaw for me.

the blade has much better touch and feel than any limba blade. You have to feel it to believe it. The ayous core in all limba blades creates hollow, blurry feeling. And impotency. After hitting the first ball you can feel the harder core. You just feel it. And the stability and accuracy that come with it just give you confidence to try shots! But the best part is that limba is not very reactive. Not like hinoki or cedar that are REALLY JUMPY when compressed. Limba has great contro, no vibration, just a mild pleasant feedback. This blade has better control than any of the all wood limba blades on my list above. No, it is still not as dead-stable as a TBS, but then nothing is, and that much stability comes with a price.

With respect to speed, it is on the lower range of OFF. It is exactly the same like Korbel and slower that a clipper. However the blade feels extremely powerful. When you swing hard and make a good contact the ball is hard to touch. Yeah, if you swing right, you wont lack punch with this.

The blade has very high throw. Even more so than Korbel, and much more than Clipper. Opening loop is simply a pleasure. Away from the table you have to deal with landing loops with very high arc but those are very consistent and is up to you. 

I had tenergy on BH and MXP on FH, and with that blade the setup was extremely reactive to incoming spin. There is no other way with those properties. It doesn't bother me because I am used to this type of blade. 

The great touch makes for this being the best blade in the world for serving. Yes, it is. 

Ultimately, if you have played with a fast carbon blade already and you like it, i don't see this as a substitute, despite the good speed and control. Mid distance rally with all wood blade is just going to put you at a disadvantage against any opponent with carbon. If anyone tells you anything else don't believe them.

But as far as the wonderful world of Limba is concerned, this one is truly atop of the pyramid. Korbel and Clipper just feel hollow and blurry and don't come even close to this. And primo vibrates wayyy too much. If you can afford it and can deal with the weight - I highly recommend this blade.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 12:22am
"Korbel and Clipper just feel hollow and blurry and don't come even close to this"

I think thats because your blades inner plies is more solid and heavier, Clipper and Korbel are 6.7mm, much more than this blade

Clipper and Korbel both use ayous(also called Abachi/Obeche/Samba) inner plies vs your limba
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 1:52am
look forward to test it...thanks for the review
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

It could be done, but the weight would go up due to the extra glue layers.  The glue accounts for 1g-1.5g per layer.

a full limba version of clipper would be nice but 6mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 9:52am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

And finally about the new blade. Everything I wanted to achieve is in this blade. I am telling you, if you like Korbel or Primorac or Clipper, you will LOVE this blade. The only flaw would be the weight, but I always look for blades over 90 gr, so that is not a flaw for me.
<snip>
Assiduous - thank you for taking the time to evaluate the blade and write-up your comments.  I appreciate your efforts, and I'm glad to hear that the blade worked out so well for you.  

The high throw is undoubtedly due to the flex of an all-wood 5.5mm blade.  The limba core is a bit heavier than conventional core woods, making the overall choice of thickness a balance between keeping the blade a reasonable weight and retaining a certain stiffness.  Had the limba been a little lighter, I may have targeted a 5.7mm thickness to add a bit more stiffness.  Every design is a bagful of compromises, but that's what makes it so interesting.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 10:09am
I'm really excited to test this blade after reading Assiduous' review. :)

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 3:10am
Sorry but the trail of the too much limba blade has come to an end...I am currently using another custom made blade and i don't have a tournament back up blade...I received the blade 2 days ago and had the chance to play a couple of times with it...after the first trial i knew it would be hard to let go of it...
It is one of those rare blades that i could just pick up at any time and i could play without needing time to get used to it.
The handle is nice, a bit glossy for me but that is ok...since it is not slippery.
Head shape is right on, for flex and feel...and it does not feel heavy or too head heavy even at 94 grams.
Before the speed glue ban i used Avalox BT550, BT555, P500 and the last batch of Butterfly Powerdrive from the 90s that had the misspelling word swining in the text...a very soft off- high throw blade.
Well, with the speed glue ban...i started using old clippers from the 80s with 7 layers of limba and liked the feel of limba....
Ross' blade feels in between the Avalox feel and the Powerdrive feel...a bit more soft then the avalox but not as much as the Powerdrive...thus it is great for:
heavy serves,
heavy pushes,
heavy spin opening loops,
easier and spinier flips,
easier to lift underspin,
high control,
ability to hit sharper angles when looping
as you expect from a blade that is All+ to Off- and has a great dwell time...
I played with Tenergy 05/Baracuda and both worked though i liked the 05 feel better...i will have to try it with chinese on the forehand as well.  By the feel of the blade, i think it likes medium to medium-hard sponge rubbers.  So that works great for me.
I did not find anything wrong with the blade, but there could be a couple of things to make it ideal for me:
if the blade were to be only 10-20% faster it would likely be my playing blade instead of my back up.
and maybe...only maybe 5% stiffer so punching loops with more power would be easier and faster...
great job Ross from the 5 blades i tried from you this is the one i like the best, and sorry to Pondus...he will have to wait until another demo will go his way.
If you have a technical game, based on heavy spin, control and setting up your attack from the short game...and used to use old stiga ALL or Off blades you may want to look into trying this blade!

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 3:12am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

As far as I know the only reason anyone uses Ayous as a core is the feeling it gives and the light weight. Limba should play with more spin no doubt, will it feel as good, that's the interesting question
+1...more spin and no loss in feel
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 3:14am
'the blade flexes but i did not feel loss of control because the extra spin i could put on the ball gave me the extra control i needed...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 11:29am
Emilian - thanks for your review of the blade.  I know that you had expressed interest in an all-limba blade earlier, so it's great that you were able to try it out.  Even better that it hit the mark for you.  I'm glad it worked out well.

It would be possible to increase the speed and stiffness of the blade by increasing the core thickness.  However, this would likely push the blade up to or over the 100g point.  For those who favor heavy blades, this may not be an issue.  For most though, a 3-digit weight could be a big psychological hurdle.

There will be a brief intermission in the eval while I ready a 2nd demo blade for Pondus. 
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 7:47pm
emihet, rather than change the thickness or anything else in the blade, maybe just changing the top ply or second ply to Koto would sharpen it up enough for you and give it slightly more speed. I have a blade with Koto ontop of Limba and it works very well
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 3:03am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

emihet, rather than change the thickness or anything else in the blade, maybe just changing the top ply or second ply to Koto would sharpen it up enough for you and give it slightly more speed. I have a blade with Koto ontop of Limba and it works very well
that is a very good thought...surface hardness vs core hardness...how much difference would it be between these 2? i wonder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2013 at 9:05pm
Here are a couple photos of the new all-limba demo blade heading off to Pondus this week.  It's the same as the original blade except with a curly Hawaiian Koa handle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic