Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jha Signed to 1st Div Bundesliga

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jha Signed to 1st Div Bundesliga
    Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:13pm
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:24pm
Just what he needs. Impressive.
DS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:36pm
What I find really fascinating about Kanak is a statement made by his father I believe about why he let Kanak play TT. He said something to the effect that what is the point of being American if he can't follow his dreams? Wish more people would think that way.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 190
FH: Tibhar MX-K 2.1 B
BH: Tibhar MX-K 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:58pm
His rise is impressive, from 3, to 2 to 1 in as many years. Now he has to try to establish himself as one of the best players in Europe as his next goal.
pipboy76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pipboy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:16pm
I'm not even from America yet i'm so happy for Kanak. Been following him since his World Cup debut in 2014 but it was when i saw that popular video documenatry there is about him on Youtube that really made me become a fan of him. He just seemed like a good kid with a great attitude and love for the sport so i couldn't help but want to root for him. Congrats for the graduation again Kanak!
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by pipboy76 pipboy76 wrote:

I'm not even from America yet i'm so happy for Kanak. Been following him since his World Cup debut in 2014 but it was when i saw that popular video documenatry there is about him on Youtube that really made me become a fan of him. He just seemed like a good kid with a great attitude and love for the sport so i couldn't help but want to root for him. Congrats for the graduation again Kanak!

He's like the Christian Pulisic of Table Tennis :)
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:57pm
That is awesome news for Khanak and he richly deserves it.

Another intersting tidbit there is that Nicholas Tio will also be in Grenzau, although presumably not in the Bundesliga and they are going to have one more US player based there.  Having three US players in the same organization is really going to be good for US table tennis and make it easier for them to be based abroad.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Another intersting tidbit there is that Nicholas Tio will also be in Grenzau, although presumably not in the Bundesliga and they are going to have one more US player based there.  Having three US players in the same organization is really going to be good for US table tennis and make it easier for them to be based abroad.

ILya

I thought Tio was already living at Grenzau the city (very confusing... :) ), but was competing for different club - from May 2018 USATT article:

In a pivotal move to enhance the international competitiveness of US National Team players, USATT High Performance Director Joerg Bitzigeio has arranged for top national team contenders to compete in European leagues next season. Aside from Kanak Jha, who is already living in Grenzau and will move up to represent 1.FSV Mainz 05 in the 2nd Bundesliga (2nd division) next season, Nick Tio and Jennifer (Yue) Wu will also move to Europe to live, train and compete in the league. 

Tio will join Kanak in Grenzau, whilst competing in 3rd Division North for TTC Lampertheim, while Wu will join the prestigious Froschberg Linz in the first Division of the Austrian League. 

I guess he (Nicholas) might be moving as well.
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 3:19pm
great to see player from USA going in league matches again legends like Timo Boll !
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 3:58pm
That's awesome for Kanak.  I've always thought he's got a good head on his shoulders.  Can't wait to see how his career progresses.
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

ILya

I thought Tio was already living at Grenzau the city (very confusing... :) ), but was competing for different club - from May 2018 USATT article:

In a pivotal move to enhance the international competitiveness of US National Team players, USATT High Performance Director Joerg Bitzigeio has arranged for top national team contenders to compete in European leagues next season. Aside from Kanak Jha, who is already living in Grenzau and will move up to represent 1.FSV Mainz 05 in the 2nd Bundesliga (2nd division) next season, Nick Tio and Jennifer (Yue) Wu will also move to Europe to live, train and compete in the league. 

Tio will join Kanak in Grenzau, whilst competing in 3rd Division North for TTC Lampertheim, while Wu will join the prestigious Froschberg Linz in the first Division of the Austrian League. 

From the article linked above:

Jha in fact is joined by Nicholas Tio in the Grenzau club and will be joined over the summer by another US player. 
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:26pm
Clap
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
joolaUSA.chan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joolaUSA.chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:39pm
Congrats to Kanak, saw him when he first started. 
Equipment:
Energon PBO-C flared
Golden Tango PS 2.25mm
Select Rhyzm-P red 2.25mm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 5:02pm
What the heck is a bundesliga? 
Current Setup: Trying to learn H3
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level:
Starting to get the hang of H3
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

What the heck is a bundesliga? 

Federal (i.e. national) league in Germany. This is the name of the top football league in Germany as well as other sports, including table tennis.

Essentially Jha has been signed for a German top division team in the German league, strongest league in Europe.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2019 at 11:24am
How much are the contracts in this league? I'm guessing he will be getting near the bottom of $ for now.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2019 at 11:54am
Congratulations to Kanak Jha!  Enjoy following his matches and career, happy for his efforts and results.
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

ILya

the granzau club is where they train and live 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 6:09pm
Today was the season premiere in the TTBL:

Grenzau didn't win a game. Kanak Jha lost the second match against Kilian Ort (11, 5, 7).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 8:47pm
USATT's HPD Joerg Bitzigeio hooking up USA players with European teams for league play :

Women's League:
- Wu Yue KTS Tarnobrzeg (POL) (1st Division + European Champions League)
-
 Lily Zhang SV DJK Kolbermoor (1st Division)
Amy Wang TTG Bingen/Münster-Sarms. (1st Division)
Rachel Sung TTC 1945 Weinheim (2nd Division)
Joanna Sung TTC 1946 Weinheim (4th Division)
Crystal Wang TSV Schwabhausen (1st Division)
Swathi Giri SV DJK Kolbermoor (3rd Division)
Angie Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)
Emily Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)

Men's League:
Kanak Jha TTC Zugbrücke Grenzau (1st Division)
Kai Zhang TTC GW Bad Hamm (2nd Division)
Nicholas Tio TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Michael Tran SV Union Velbert (3rd Division)
Nikhil Kumar 1. FSV Mainz 05 (2nd Division)
Victor Liu TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Sharon Alguetti TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Adar Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Gal Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Ted Li SV Union Velbert (4th Division)
Kai Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich (6th Division)
Aziz Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich(6th Division)
Alex Wu 1. FSV Mainz 05 (4th Division)
Daniel Tran SV Union Velbert (6th Division)

osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 11:32pm
how much do they make playing for dif divisions?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2019 at 9:51am
Don't know the answer to that.  Perhaps our German forum members might know?

BTW, Kanak's team is mostly very young:

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2019 at 10:55am
In his second match of the season, Kanak Jha lost to Paul Drinkhall 2:3 (6, -8, -7, 4, -5). He's scheduled to play Benedikt Duda next, but it may not come to that.
WangXui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WangXui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

USATT's HPD Joerg Bitzigeio hooking up USA players with European teams for league play :

Women's League:
- Wu Yue KTS Tarnobrzeg (POL) (1st Division + European Champions League)
-
 Lily Zhang SV DJK Kolbermoor (1st Division)
Amy Wang TTG Bingen/Münster-Sarms. (1st Division)
Rachel Sung TTC 1945 Weinheim (2nd Division)
Joanna Sung TTC 1946 Weinheim (4th Division)
Crystal Wang TSV Schwabhausen (1st Division)
Swathi Giri SV DJK Kolbermoor (3rd Division)
Angie Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)
Emily Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)

Men's League:
Kanak Jha TTC Zugbrücke Grenzau (1st Division)
Kai Zhang TTC GW Bad Hamm (2nd Division)
Nicholas Tio TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Michael Tran SV Union Velbert (3rd Division)
Nikhil Kumar 1. FSV Mainz 05 (2nd Division)
Victor Liu TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Sharon Alguetti TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Adar Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Gal Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Ted Li SV Union Velbert (4th Division)
Kai Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich (6th Division)
Aziz Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich(6th Division)
Alex Wu 1. FSV Mainz 05 (4th Division)
Daniel Tran SV Union Velbert (6th Division)

WTF ?  Why is everyone complaining about Joerg ? He may not be perfect or whatever but when is the last time this many Americans got to play in the famous German Leagues . They will cherish this experience for the rest of their lives

Edited by WangXui - 08/27/2019 at 11:47am
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:49am
I am curious who paid their money to play in Europe League? Is it free for those players? Did their parents or USATT pay? Funding is the most important question. A lot of talent youth in USA needs financial support.

Edited by mentortt - 08/27/2019 at 11:50am
WangXui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WangXui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

I am curious who paid their money to play in Europe League? Is it free for those players? Did their parents pay?

I assume at least some basic expenses will be covered even at lower levels but what if it is not  ? 
Should anyone in their right minds pass up playing in the famed Bundesliga unless I am missing something here  ?
It is like a white guy saying : Umm I will pass up playing in the NBA (even if one year on the bench)......I can't wait one year to go to community college and major in English 

Edited by WangXui - 08/27/2019 at 11:58am
mentortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2019 at 12:07pm
I heard in some other cases, USATT just gave invitation. Eventually parents need to pay huge money to support their kids. Hope what benefit or what support for national players is clear to public. If there is support and player don't want to go, can they go to Japan or China to train in league? 

Edited by mentortt - 08/27/2019 at 12:11pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

I heard in some other cases, USATT just gave invitation. Eventually parents need to pay huge money to support their kids. Hope what benefit or what support for national players is clear to public. If there is support and player don't want to go, can they go to Japan or China to train in league? 

Players I know well who went that route have told me that they felt that they got better training in Europe (Germany and Sweden) than in China because the coaches actually spent more time with them.  An advantage of China is (or used to be) that living expenses are a lot lower but once you are there, you may well be ignored.  This information is several years old, though.  I don't know anyone who has gone to China to train more recently.  Maybe some places there are better now, although I would tend to doubt it.  I actually haven't heard of Americans going to Japan to train. 

At the end of the day, what Jha is doing will yield largest TT benefits because he is forced to compete every week for real money against players mostly better than he is.  He will have to get better.  And he will.  But maybe not many US prospects are as good as he is or as motivated to be great in TT (as opposed to using TT excellence as a venue for entry to top universities, which will set them up for life -- a strategy I find perfectly reasonable).
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2019 at 1:51am
A player has to be really careful where they go to train overseas.  When I went to China, I was forced to train with people who basically had never played before and it was immensely depressing.  I was paying money to basically teach them how to play.  Another player I know was only around 2400 and beat everyone at his training facility and thought his trip was a waste of time.  However if you are willing to spend a lot of money with a high profile province team, you will play with good players.  It will be very expensive though.

Germany and Sweden are no better unfortunately.  Things are very hit or miss.  Players have to be extremely careful where they go to train. Some places aren't even safe for the players with extremely shady things going on.  Safesport would have these places shut down if they were in the USA. 
Noppen-Jedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Noppen-Jedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2019 at 6:23am
Hi guys, 

First I want to apologise for mistakes in this post, I'm not a native speaker so it might get a little tough to read for you. 

I am from Germany and have played for SV Union Velbert for some years and can share some information with you.

In general players are paid to join a club and play in the league. The amount of money depends on your skill at the table and how good you sell yourself. Some get paid more of they win more games Wink

In the 1. Bundesliga there are mostly professional athletes, some of them have a second job in the coaching staff or at the club. You can make a living from it, but you need supporters.you won't get rich by playing table tennis. 
If you are Top 5 of your league like Timo Bill or Matthias Falck you will make a decent living from your payment. 

From second Bundesliga to thrid bundesliga there are some players who can live just from playing, but most of players need a part time Job or some other stuff to earn money. 

News about the payment of players aren't available and won't be published - that's a German thing. You don't take alot about money LOL

But of course the club's will find a way to get you a nice place to sleep, cover your Meals and Equipment. If you have to fly in for games, this will  normally be paid by the club.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them as good as I can. 
>|Nebula Custom Wood Kjiell Johansson "Korbel" Replica / OSP Special Made|<
>|Bluefire M2 + Vega|<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic