Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jimmy Butler
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jimmy Butler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:59am
I looked pretty fast at his results in Swedish highest league and he seems to have played pretty good! He won more games than he lost, so that was impressive! 

I still think he should play alot better today since he seems to have been pretty good when he was younger, but maybe it is because he had trouble with his health. 
Sponsored Links

el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2019 at 8:51am
Jimmy Butler is probably my favorite player to watch.

His play is effortless and simple and it takes a lot of talent and intelligence and with to play simple
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2019 at 11:09am
It is proably easier to play easy today with the new ball i think. 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2019 at 9:05am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

The topic is very misleading.  I clicked because I thought you were talking about the NBA star Jimmy Butler.  CLICKBAIT!

The Jimmy Butler we are talking about is very tall. Same person maybe???
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 7:33am

The topic is very misleading.  I clicked because I thought you were talking about the NBA star Jimmy Butler.  CLICKBAIT!

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Google "Jimmy Butler table tennis pictures" and "Jimmy Butler basketball pictures". 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 12:35pm
I think he was joking Larry ;).
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 2:13pm
Their arms and body positions are similar.

Edited by heavyspin - 01/20/2019 at 2:14pm
Trying to develop a fast short serve.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2019 at 5:13pm
See Larrytt, i told you they are the same.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

Is thought US Open and US Nationals was to different tournaments? feel that US Open would be harder to win. 

I do not think Butler is or ever was very close to top 100 in the world, but maybe im wrong. But i would agree that you proably need to be a pretty high level to win US Open. Maybe the competition was not so good when Butler won. I also think Eugene Wang seems to be a much better player. 

i do not want to talk negative about Butler, i think he is a pretty good player but i do not think he should win the US Nationals when he is so old, havent played in ages and seem to have problems with injuries. I also do not talk negative about tabletennis in the US, but it is something seriously wrong when he can win. It would be more okay if he won in his prime. 

I am late to this thread, obviously.

His highest world ranking was right about 70.  He played in the Swedish elite league for a couple of years, and was a teammate and practice partner of Eric Lindh, and was coached by Stellan Bengtsson.  He had some good wins in Swedish league play.  We are talking the 1980s. 

By 2014 he was obviously not anywhere near that level but was around 2500 to 2550, and dropped a bit after that.  His back problems never entirely went away.  I know him very well indeed since we grew up in the same town and played for a long time at the same club (far from where we grew up; also I am several years older than he is, when I was really young I used to play with his dad).  I remember very well the day he walked into our club after around 15 years of not playing and told us he wanted to play again.    

He did not win the the US Open in 2014, he won the US Nationals, which is much easier to win.  You can't be terrible but it is a pretty bad statement about US table tennis in that year.  Things have improved some with some better young players coming up, and US women are better than US men.  Jimmy knows how to win and is mentally tough and gets the most out of his technique which (as he will tell you himself) has all sorts of flaws.  Do not underestimate his backhand.  Matthew Sayed did that once and lost to him at a US Open.  He is a lot better than he looks sometimes. 

I haven't seen him in a while, not sure what he is doing.  I've been dealing with injuries lately so may have missed him.  I played with him quite a bit when he was first making his comeback -- until his rapidly recovering level exceeded the point where it was any use for him.

There aren't that many people for Jimmy to train with here to maintain his level, actually the good players are all as old or older than he is!  (All former international players, but still)....    
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:57am
Jimmy Butler of the Philadelphia 76ers ? He is good player, but his team mates
Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons are better.

Edited by jackwong23 - 01/22/2019 at 1:01am
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2021 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

I seem to recall Waldner was Swedish national champion at age 45.  What does that say about Swedish table tennis?  

The correct answer in my opinion is that Waldner is insanely talented and happened to be the best player that day in the competition.  Jimmy Butler was an incredible player, ranked 70th in the world when the rankings were a lot more accurate, who was sidelined by injuries for a long time.  I think he was also North American champion in his mid 40s as well. 

Older athletes are performing quite well these days.  Tom Brady, Kim Collins, lots of marathon runners from Kenya and Ethiopia, Vlady and some guy named Timo something or other to name a few.  He Zhiwen is also playing quite well at 56.  Just because an older athlete is successful, doesn't mean the other players are bad or an association is weak, it just means that athlete is just that good.     

I don't think he was North American champion, I saw him play Eugene live and Eugene beat him 4-2 in North American Championship in Mississauga Ontario.

Edited by sunny - 09/29/2021 at 8:01am
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2021 at 4:07pm
again, this is a Clickbait post.  I clicked it yet again because I saw the title Jimmy Butler, not knowing this is my second time falling for it LOL LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic