Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:50pm
thank you for a wonderful review.

jcdi says a lot of good things about that blade; I can't wait for his contribution. the blade has been on my radar for a while :)

Sponsored Links

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:14pm
Joola Rosskopf Emotion FL 86 gr.
Tenergy 05 2.1 FH
Tenergy 64 2.1 BH

About the reviewer:
I play an offensive game on both wings. I have no rating in the US, a moderate estimate would be 2300 I think. My loops have more spin as compared to players of the same level. My short game is below average and my open game is clearly above average.

Test setup:
Joola Rossi Emotion FL 86 gr. with T05 2.1 on the FH and T64 2.1 on the BH. These are my standard rubbers (other rubbers that I have used within the last year and feel comfortable with are Tibhar Evolution MX-P on the FH and Tibhar 1Q on the BH, Bluefire M2 on both FH and BH). Total weight is 184 gr. By now, I have played six times with this setup about 1 1/2 hours each.

Appearance:
The craftsmanship is very high, no less than top notch butterfly blades, and this for half the price. The blade is roughly 6 mm thick, has a slightly shorter head as compared to a TBS (1 or 2 mm less). The composition is Hinoki-Koto-Carbon-Ayous-Carbon-Koto-Hinoki according to Joola. The top Hinoki veneer is relatively thin as compared to e.g. a Primorac Carbon, so is the carbon layer. The handle is comparable to the handle of the Butterfly ZJK ALC. It is slightly fatter than the one of a TBS and more comfortable in my opinion.

Feel:
The Emotion blade has a nice soft and solid feel to it. It is clearly softer than a TBS or Viscaria and has more dwell, in particular at low impact speed. There are very little vibrations. Given that the feel is different from the Butterfly ALC blades that I'm used to, it's hard to say whether there are more or less vibrations as compared to e.g. a Viscaria. In terms of feel, I would describe it as a mixture of Viscaria and Photino, but more woody than both of them.

Flex:
The Jolla Rossi Emotion is almost stiff, comparable to a TBS. The Emotion is perhaps a tiny bit more flexible.

Speed:
I would rate the speed of the blade OFF- or OFF. The blade is fast but not exceedingly so. It is clearly slower than the Butterfly ALC blades of TBS type (which I would rate as solid OFF), most notable in the low gears. If you swing harder, the speed difference is less notable.

Control:
The definition of the control of a blade is a bit difficult, because it has a very subjective component to it. For me, the control I have with this blade is very high, because for me it has a very good mixture of feel and speed. If it was significantly faster, my anyway not so good short game would deteriorate. If it was significantly slower, I would need to swing harder from half distance and my efficiency and solidness in the open game would go down. For me and in average, control is a bit above Butterfly ALC level.

Spin capability:
Very high. Serves and opening loops against under-spin can really be loaded. In the open game, spin capabilities are perhaps a bit below ALC level, because the ALC blades tend to bite more when you swing hard. The Joola Rossi Emotion blade plays spinnier than a Photino in all aspects.

---------------------

Looping:
Here the blade really shines. It's very controlled, has enough speed and loads of spin. When swinging really hard, I prefer the Viscaria, otherwise, the Rossi Emotion is my favorite. The arc is a bit higher than with the ALC blades at low speed, and about the same at high speed. The Rossi emotion is perhaps a tad less linear.

Blocking:
I'm not particularly good at blocking, but for me this is blade is very good at blocking. It's less crisp than the ALC blades, which may be considered as a bad thing by many, but for me so far it helps. Spin blocks are very easy for me to play with this blade.

Short game:
As I said, the short game (in particular returning serves short and flicking of short returns after my serves) is a week spot in my game. With it's lower speed in the low gears and its soft feel and high dwell, the blade is very nice in the short game. For me personally, it may be the best ever. If there was no short game, I would prefer the Viscaria, simply because there is nothing that feels like it a meter or two away from the table. Given that table tennis starts with serve and continues with return, it's really close between the two blades (Emotion and Viscaria).

Conclusions:
This blade certainly makes it to my top 3 of all times. If you think that a TBS/ Viscaria is slightly too hard and fast, give this one a try. If you like the Photino but think that it is too thick and stiff, give the Emotion a try. I think that if this blade was made by Butterfly, it would be very very popular for a good reason!

Edited by High_Arc - 10/05/2013 at 4:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
  Share Topic