FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

LA Open 2013 Au

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 6:34pm
You can find some results here: http://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=103&r=76
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 8:48pm

Semis -

Li Tianyu over Zhou Xin 4-1

Ovtcharov  over Wang 4-0

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 9:46pm
Ovtcharov over  Li Tianyu 4-0 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 9:51pm
why did michael hyatt default the finals of u2500 and O40?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Semis -

Ovtcharov  over Wang 4-0

===================

Is that Wang - Eugene Wang?
(I guess so, because it already reached Semi-Finals.)

Edited by skip3119 - 09/01/2013 at 10:11pm
skip3119
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:04pm
wow! U1950 and U2050 were so busy!!!
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:13pm
by the way I am amazed by the speed at which the results were published on omnipong.
SO FAST!
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:36pm

Craig Krum is the man!

Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Why can't bicycle stand by itself?
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 11:41pm
Now it's Gfrontosa time!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 2:56am
Gerry will post clips soon, I think. I truly feel sorry for Gerry. One of this camcorders was accidentally crashed by the player and was broken. He lost some recordings there including RSM match that he was upset.

Edited by ocvillager - 09/03/2013 at 1:37am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 2:57am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Semis -

Ovtcharov  over Wang 4-0

===================

Is that Wang - Eugene Wang?

(I guess so, because it already reached Semi-Finals.)

Yes. Ovtcharov beat everyone convincely and quite easy.
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

Why can't bicycle stand by itself?

Two-tired(too tired)

Well there might be truth to that answer. Michael Hyatt played a lot of matches that day. However by 10pm, with the venue having to be cleaned at 11pm. , there might have been another reason to settle the matter in addition to being too tired.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

entel5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entel5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:07pm
Any videos yet ?
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 5:36pm

From Michael's Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/reggaeboy36

"LA Open results part 3: At 11:20pm PST on Saturday night I'm ready to leave and the tournament directors say "You MUST play the Open Singles last 32 tonight!!" 21 matches into the night/day I say no freaking way, I can hardly walk!!! After 10 minutes of back and forth (I'll call it negotiation) I agree to play the Open Singles last 32. Guess who? Newman Chang again!!! I put in my best effort, gave all I had left. I win the first two games. I lose the 3rd 11-9. At the end of that game the cramps come back. I'm definately toast now. Not wanting to seem weak I carry on but I can hardly serve, can't move. I lost the 4th and 5th games and I'm out of the Open Singles. Sad, but that's life I accept my loss and the result. No excuses!!!

BUT WAIT. WHAT THE HELL? As soon as THAT match is over, my 22nd match of the day/night, they call the U-2500 finals past midnight on Saturday night. Ok NOW I get it. Newman Chang and my Opponent in the U-2500 (a 2600 Chinese player with a fake rating u-2500) are both from the local club hosting the tournament. Their goal was death to Michael!!! This is the only way they win, I'm playing well. But I could not go on. The tournament director and many local players from LA are pushing for this U-2500 to start at 12:15am PST and end maybe at 2am. I say enough is enough!!!!

I tell the tournament folks that I have to play the two finals on Sunday. I just have to. They say NO. "You MUST play the U-2500 finals NOW." So I say "Tell you what, I'm ok with NOT PLAYING either finals!! Thank you very much LA Open. Next time you see Michael Hyatt again is NEVER!!! BUT I had a great time while it last and my Coach for the day....my 10 year old son Tai. He's there though all of this, even to tears as Daddy was rolling around with cramps earlier. My next step: rest, strength work on quads, calf and lower back, 5-8 mile runs, walks, shoulder work. I'll be ready for the Badger Open come the end of September. Oh yea, U-2500, Over-40, Open Singles and Open Doubles there also!!! I'm determined to make that combination happen in a certain way or I might just die trying. I'm OUT!!! "

CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 7:29pm
Like last year, Michael played so well in three of his events, O40, U2500, and Open Singles, that he ended up having some of them stack up at the end of the day. And while I love a good Facebook post as much as the next person, I think maybe a bit of literary license was being taken in this case.

A quick look at the results page on omnipong.com shows that Michael played a total of 15 matches during the day (not sure where the other 7 came from), which is still quite a lot! The Open Singles match he played with Newman Chang, was a round of 32 match that absolutely had to be played before the next day. We had already played six of the other round of 16 matches, and had decided to play the last two of them on Sunday, but we had to have that last round of 32 match done.

The match actually started at 10pm, and not 11:20pm, and was indeed a marathon, going all five games. It was pretty obvious that Michael had hit the wall. The other player in the O40 finals had agreed to play the match on Sunday, since he was going to be available on that day. But the other player in the U2500 finals, who had only entered Saturday events, could not be there on Sunday, so he had to play the match that night.

While the venue was going to be cleaned at 11:00pm (empty trash cans and the like), we were still able to use it for as long as we needed.  We obviously could not default the player who could not be there on Sunday, and Michael refused to play that night. So there it was. Michael defaulted the U2500, and as a protest, defaulted the O40 as well.

This is the second year Michael has had to face this late night marathon, which means we might want to consider rearranging some of the events to try and prevent it from happening again.

I really hope he does come play next year. He is an exciting player to watch, and puts everything into every game he plays.

Edited by CKrum - 09/02/2013 at 8:57pm
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 9:04pm
Thanks OC Villager.  Great to finally know you are.  Yes, I was kinda bummed out.  I was recording a friend's (Stanley Hu from Toronto) match.  I had not seen Stanley for over 10 years since he moved from Los Angeles to Toronto.  I know who accidentally hit the barrier causing the camera to fall to the concrete.

I cannot and will not ask him to replace or reimburse me.  More important is how to retrieve the videos, specially the match between Ryu Seung Min vs Li Tianyu.  The LCD cover is cracked and is blank when the power is turned on.  I cant even close the LCD viewfinder.  Looking through the view finder it was just blank.

After fiddling with it a few hours this morning and this afternoon, I finally saw some light image on the view finder.  The good news is I was able to touch the blank LCD viewfinder and my laptop showed and confirmed it was finally connected to the video recorder.  As I write this, I am downloading about 8 video matches.  While I am ecstatic about this, this video recorder will be dumped in the thrash can once I finish downloading.

Be patient, videos will be forthcoming.

Gerry
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 9:07pm
time to donate; frontosa please pm me your paypal account; I am sending $15.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 9:31pm

Hmmm, always nice to get the other side of things.  

But, how do you explain your forcing him to enter 4 events on the same day? 

Surely you must have known that would be exhausting ...

Originally posted by CKrum CKrum wrote:

Like last year, Michael played so well in three of his events, O40, U2500, and Open Singles, that he ended up having some of them stack up at the end of the day. And while I love a good Facebook post as much as the next person, I think maybe a bit of literary license was being taken in this case.

A quick look at the results page on omnipong.com shows that Michael played a total of 15 matches during the day (not sure where the other 7 came from), which is still quite a lot! The Open Singles match he played with Newman Chang, was a round of 32 match that absolutely had to be played before the next day. We had already played six of the other round of 16 matches, and had decided to play the last two of them on Sunday, but we had to have that last round of 32 match done.

The match actually started at 10pm, and not 11:20pm, and was indeed a marathon, going all five games. It was pretty obvious that Michael had hit the wall. The other player in the O40 finals had agreed to play the match on Sunday, since he was going to be available on that day. But the other player in the U2500 finals, who had only entered Saturday events, could not be there on Sunday, so he had to play the match that night.

While the venue was going to be cleaned at 11:00pm (empty trash cans and the like), we were still able to use it for as long as we needed.  We obviously could not default the player who could not be there on Sunday, and Michael refused to play that night. So there it was. Michael defaulted the U2500, and as a protest, defaulted the O40 as well.

This is the second year Michael has had to face this late night marathon, which means we might want to consider rearranging some of the events to try and prevent it from happening again.

I really hope he does come play next year. He is an exciting player to watch, and puts everything into every game he plays.

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:57pm

...But, how do you explain your forcing him to enter 4 events on the same day? Surely you must have known that would be exhausting...

How did they force him? When someone signs up for an event it clearly states what day and time that particular event starts. So, if someone decides to enter 4 separate events that all starts on the same day, well, then that person should obviously anticipate playing A LOT that day.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

...But, how do you explain your forcing him to enter 4 events on the same day? Surely you must have known that would be exhausting...

How did they force him? When someone signs up for an event it clearly states what day and time that particular event starts. So, if someone decides to enter 4 separate events that all starts on the same day, well, then that person should obviously anticipate playing A LOT that day.
^
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Well, I am going to have wait to hear from Craig on this. Surely someone at the tournament must have put a gun to Michael's head or in some other way coerced him to enter all those events on Saturday. 

Otherwise he would simply be complaining about a problem that was of his own creation...

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 11:55pm
am I alone to sense some sarcastic tone in alphapong's posts? Big smile
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 12:26am
Unfortunately, it would appear so.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 1:36am

time to donate; frontosa please pm me your paypal account; I am sending $15.

Agree with Fatt.
Gerry, please pm me your Paypal, I want to contribute $20 for now As a TT lover and appreciate what you have always done.

Edited by ocvillager - 09/03/2013 at 2:54am
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 1:46am
Li Tianyu vs Ryu Seung Min

frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:15am
Li Tianyu vs Zhang Xiang Jing

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 7:42am

Unfortunately, it would appear so.

Sorry, Alphapong... although I perceive sarcasm to be one of my personal strong-suits, I for whatever reason did not pick up on yours in this case. Shame on me. Well played.

chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 8:39am
Gerry, please also PM me your Paypal.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

Gerry, please also PM me your Paypal.

Same here. Gerry's work on videotaping nearly all major TT events in the US takes a lot of his time, resources, money etc and is often thankless and goes under-appreciated. I enjoy watching his videos and he never fails to record a ton of them. Many thanks to you again and I hope I will see you on the East Coast at some point Wink

Gerry, perhaps you could simply post your PayPal account here - it should be safe, I assume... since this is probably just your email address and people can only send you money.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic