Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting an Underspin Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting an Underspin Question
    Posted: 11/04/2009 at 12:30am
Hi , my setup right now is Sriver Fx on my backhand, right now when an opponent gives me underspin or chop on my backhand side my return will always be chop also or push, and I'm trying too change all of that by attacking it . So every now and then I try to topspin it to lift the underspin or chop to start my offensive attack. But I think of the 10 attempts to do the backspin 6 doesnt go over the net. :( .  may be because when they give me a underspin its a little bit close to the net. Right now I'm changing  a little bit the angle of my racket by opening it to lift the underspin or chop.

So my question is will a tacky rubber help to lift the ball a little bit instead of a grippy rubber? My only problem with tacky is its sensitivity when receiving serves. So any suggestions.
Thanks.
http://wwww.Mannypacquiao.ph
http://www.carabaoshirts.com
Sponsored Links

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 12:59am
No, don't change rubber. It's just all technique and learning the proper stroke necessary to loop underspin. Do you have a coach or anyone around to teach you?
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 1:12am
Actually I have a robot to practice on attacking underspin when given on my backhand side. Luckily the robot can give me diffrent throw positons on my backhand short and long, and right now I dont have coach.
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 1:16am
Check out the Ping Skills site, they have a lot of good training videos - see the BH loop against underspin.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 11:33am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

No, don't change rubber. It's just all technique and learning the proper stroke necessary to loop underspin. Do you have a coach or anyone around to teach you?

+1

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 11:39am
Look into learning a bh "roll". It might be easier to learn than a bh loop, if you want to initiate the offense against underspin. Especially if you're not even looping with your bh against topspin.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 11:57am
What is a 'roll'? I am not familiar with the term.
Is it a stroke that kinda like a push but instead moving the bat down to give it backspin you move your bat upwards to neutralize/put some top spin?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 12:15pm
If you're turning backspin into topspin, that's called "opening" the point.  If it's done over the table closer to the net, that's called a flip.  If it's done off the table that's a loop (vs backspin).  I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a roll, but it's something in between with a lot of lift and not a lot of speed.  I hear the term more in terms of pips where you're just using the backspin, turning it into top.

With the flip, you're coming under the ball like a push but turning it over into topspin.  Easier done on the bh side than the fh side (at least I think.)

With the loop, you're dropping your paddle down and coming straight up with little forward motion.  The more backspin on the ball, the less forward motion you can use.  Your blade is completely "open."  Sometimes even hitting up on the ball.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 3:29pm
There are some short pieces of advice I can give to you right now so that it will be a bit easier for you to overcome backspin on your BH loop/flip so that the ball doesn't end up in the net

1) open your blade a little more and add a little more push with your topspin

or

2) make sure the ball dwells on your blade a little more and while it's there you need to control it longer adding your own spin - this is required to stop the incoming spin and to start putting on your own

3) sticky (tacky) rubbers or the rubbers with deeper rubber penetration (softer topsheet) help there in #2, especially if you learn to do it properly

and

4) dip your racket a little lower, almost pointing the top of the blade into the floor, then start the swing motion upward simultaneously turning your wrist clockwise and up, in the end releasing the ball when your wrist with your racket is pointed almost vertically. Don't forget to add forward motion with your upper body, if necessary.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 3:40pm
Also, Robots are a BAD BAD BAD Idea unless you have somebody watching you closely. The only thing they do is make bad technique even more permanent.

Think of it this way:

You are having trouble looping underspin so you set your robot to give you underspin to your backhand. These balls will not be close to a ball that would be fed to you in a real match. Also, the spin is so constant that it becomes very easy to get the ball back on the table. You get good and start returning every ball with ease. The problem is, your technique is not correct at all, and what you are doing is just locking in bad technique to muscle memory. When a real game situation comes along, the same stroke you practiced with your robot will lead to many missed balls.

Robots are a bad idea, unless you have a coach or somebody who knows the proper stroke to watch you as it is feeding balls.

Even then, multiball is much better as the ball coming off the racket is much more natural than a robot. I know many people don't get the opportunity to do multiball, but a better drill would be to get a practice partner and do the following:

You serve short, partner pushes long to your backhand, you loop. You can then finish out the rally, or continue to loop as your partner blocks. This will help much more in a real game situation than a robot.

Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 4:11pm
4 out of 10 is fine when you are learning, soon it will be 5 then 6 then 7 once you reach 8 you will be a quite good player

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 4:52pm
Contact the back of the ball on the equator. You need an open racket to do that. You can still stroke forward because I find that gives a more solid contact (as opposed to rubbing the ball very thin), which actually helps getting the ball over the net.
Mathemagician View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathemagician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 7:47pm

get a practice partner

Right there is the flaw in your entire line of reasoning...
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

There are some short pieces of advice I can give to you right now so that it will be a bit easier for you to overcome backspin on your BH loop/flip so that the ball doesn't end up in the net
1) open your blade a little more and add a little more push with your topspin
or
2) make sure the ball dwells on your blade a little more and while it's there you need to control it longer adding your own spin - this is required to stop the incoming spin and to start putting on your own
3) sticky (tacky) rubbers or the rubbers with deeper rubber penetration (softer topsheet) help there in #2, especially if you learn to do it properly
and
4) dip your racket a little lower, almost pointing the top of the blade into the floor, then start the swing motion upward simultaneously turning your wrist clockwise and up, in the end releasing the ball when your wrist with your racket is pointed almost vertically. Don't forget to add forward motion with your upper body, if necessary.

Good points there Jim, although I would not recommend tacky rubbers there because it will reacts more violently with the incoming spin.
I would like to add to loosen your grip a bit while doing a BH loop of a backspin ball. Think about giving the ball a higher trajectory to help it land on the other side of the table not power trough the backspin. Lastly adding some sidespin to your loop might also help.
BH loop is one of the most tricky stroke in TT (at least for me, I myself still working on it), at first be wise to loop the not so heavy backspin balls and push the heavy backspin ones back, might save you a few points per match (that comes from my experience LOL). Then move your way up..

cheers..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 8:58pm
I really appreciate all of you guys for giving me alot of ideas on how to this lifting of underspin on the backhand side. I tried it today with partner he do a short chop close to the net on my backhand side then I will try to backhand loop it by opening a liitle bit the racket coming from the bottom of the ball then lifting it, its like a flick,  if he gives me a long one i will try to  backhand loop it with a added smash to start my offensive. I tried also to change my body position with the help of my footwork  to FH side position then do the FH loop drive, instead of bh loop.  I really need to practice my consistency on this technique since most of my opponents use this arsenal to me since most of them  know I have a week on answering chop on backhand.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Mathemagician Mathemagician wrote:

get a practice partner

Right there is the flaw in your entire line of reasoning...

Please explain.

It's not fair to take 4 words out of my explanation and not state my other points.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathemagician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 1:56am

Please explain.

It's not fair to take 4 words out of my explanation and not state my other points.

Yes, of course, you are right and I apologize.  I thought the rest was implied.  All of your other points assume that a practice partner is available and when none is, they are rendered moot.

I think we can all agree that a live partner/coach is preferable to a robot in the vast majority of situations.  However, not all of us have access to a practice partner on demand.  Thus, the real alternative to a robot is nothing, and it's difficult to argue that a robot is worse than nothing.  This, of course, assumes that it is used correctly!

Most of the people I've seen who claim that robots are damaging cite the argument that the balls served are too consistent, too fast/slow, or the timing is wrong.  They seem to believe that robot training is simply "looping against a robot" ad infinitum.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and this is more an issue with the person configuring the robot than the robot itself.

In reviewing older posts, I ran across testimony from an experienced coach who states that robot training is very beneficial, especially to beginners.  This has agreed with my (admittedly quite limited) experience as a beginner.

By focusing practice on specific drills to accomplish specific goals, enforcing variation in the aim of my shots and placement of the robot's serves, incorporating footwork into the drills, and always returning to a ready position between shots my game (as measured by results against human opponents) has improved dramatically in a short period of time.  (Oh, and my rule is that every ball I pick up off the floor must be served back to the robot's collection net.)  Sure, this requires some effort and discipline on the part of the player, but this improvement has occurred in spite of the fact that most of my days are filled with work, family, etc and there are very few people who are as willing as my robot to join me in the garage for practice in the wee hours of the morning when I am available.

YMMV
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 6:09am
1. Many Pro players do blow right after contacts of a ball from a table with prevailing movement of a hand upwards.
2. At blow in the top point of a trajectory or a bit earlier - it is more hand movement forward (to train at 90... 100 % of your force).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 12:25pm

Please explain. It's not fair to take 4 words out of my explanation and not state my other points.

Yes, of course, you are right and I apologize.� I thought�the rest�was implied.� All of your other points assume that a practice partner is available and when none is, they�are rendered�moot.

I think we can all agree that a live partner/coach is preferable to a robot in the vast majority of situations.� However, not all of us have access to a practice partner on demand.� Thus, the real alternative to a robot is nothing, and it's�difficult to argue that a robot is worse than nothing.� This, of course, assumes that it is used correctly!

Most of the people I've seen�who claim that robots are damaging cite the argument that the balls served�are too consistent, too fast/slow,�or the timing is wrong.� They seem to believe that robot training is simply "looping against a robot" ad infinitum.� Nothing could be further from the truth, and this is more an issue with the person configuring the robot than the robot itself.

In reviewing older posts, I ran across testimony from an experienced�coach who states that robot training is very beneficial, especially to beginners.� This has agreed with my (admittedly quite limited) experience as a beginner.

By focusing practice on specific drills to accomplish�specific goals, enforcing variation in the aim of my shots and placement of the robot's serves, incorporating footwork into the drills, and always returning to a ready position between shots my game (as measured by results against human opponents)�has improved dramatically in a short period of time.� (Oh, and my rule is that every ball I pick up off the floor must be served back to the robot's collection net.)� Sure, this requires some�effort and discipline on the part of the player, but�this improvement has occurred in spite of�the fact that�most of my days are filled with work, family, etc and�there are very few people who are as�willing as my robot�to join me in the garage for practice in the wee hours of the morning when I am available.

YMMV

Understandable. But do you also see my point when I say that when using a robot by yourself, bad technique is just further drilled into your muscle memory? I only speak from experience. I had a robot at one time as a beginner, and it was so much fun I used it so much that my already undeveloped strokes were just set even further back from the point of developed strokes.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathemagician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 1:41pm

Understandable. But do you also see my point when I say that when using a robot by yourself, bad technique is just further drilled into your muscle memory? I only speak from experience. I had a robot at one time as a beginner, and it was so much fun I used it so much that my already undeveloped strokes were just set even further back from the point of developed strokes.

Yes.  Then again it's equally possible to practice bad technique with a human partner!  In any case, what does this have to do with learning to loop underspin?  Well...

It certainly has been useful to me to set the robot to generate underspin and practice looping it.  When you do, be sure that you practice not only different amounts of spin, but also different depths of bounce on your half of the table.

Once you get good at looping these consistently, add footwork by adopting a ready position one step to each side of where the ball will arrive and stepping to it when you hit.  Be sure to return to ready then step back before the next shot.  Then do two steps, then three, each for various spin/speed/depth settings.

Also practice alternating return between the far corner and down the line.  Don't just blindly return the ball to the middle of the table!

Oh, fwiw, I've also found it useful to load the robot with a couple different brands of ball (same color).  The robot throws each brand quite differently and this adds to the variation of the shots.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 2:17pm

Once you get good at looping these consistently, add�footwork by adopting a ready position one step to each side�of where the ball will arrive and stepping to it when you hit.� Be sure to return to ready then step back before the next shot.� Then do two steps, then three, each for various spin/speed/depth settings.

Also practice alternating return between the far corner and down the line.� Don't just blindly�return the ball to the middle of the table!

BINGO. Robots ruin your footwork unless you focus on drills such as this:)
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 2:53pm
Would have to agree with lildudejds here.  Using robots without someone watching your strokes would pretty much drill bad strokes into your muscle memory which is the MOST difficult thing to overcome after someone corrects you.  In addition, robots most of the time produce "unnatural" spin and some are even unable to create no spin (the expensive ones can do it now).  An example would be the training/coaching in China... as you notice, theres always a human drilling partner feeding the balls to produce the most realistic conditions as possible.  I've seen many players who trained with robots pretty much ruin their future with awful stroke mechanics drilled into their heads by doing it over and over again with a robot.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 6:21pm
brush the ball at its back like brushing it 2 o' clock angle and 3 o' clock if its heavy back spin. the timing is crucial also. brush the ball on the rise
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 12:21am
I'm with lildude... I mean robots DO have their purpose, but its limited. I'd use one... but only to practice footwork with simple counterhitting or against simple topspin. That way, I'd be fine with the cheapest of robots.
also, sure you can develop bad strokes drilling with another person, if that other person knows nothing about what a good stroke is like. A robot can't tell you what you're doing wrong. Even a low level player can see with their eyes.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 12:25am
I'll tell you though, dont change your rubber. Im using Sriver FX too, and I do it pretty okay :)

just trust yourself.

When you lift it, dont forget the forward part of the stroke. A lot of people when learning to loop underspin, FH or BH, focus so much on the lifting, that their entire stroke just becomes a straight upwards line, and they have no forward momentum to carry it over the net. Sure you get the ball high enough, but have nothing backing it to carry it over. When you start your stroke, start in your pocket, bend your knees, and when you execute, use an open angle along with the lifting motion, but drive it forward starting with your legs, then your torso-shoulder-arm.  You gotta use your body to propel it forward. Your legs and arm lift it. But dont neglect the part of forward motion. FORWARD! this is number 1 important element in generating power.
fardude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fardude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 6:07am
in my experience u gotta hit the ball a bit faster and highter then usual, i mess up more wen i hit it slow
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 10:53am
JH, I agree with the words about keeping your rubber. You can make perfectly acceptable opening loops with it. It will take some looking at theory, some looking at it being done well, some thousands of hits trying it out. You are in a unique situation and you have to use what you have available to get the job done. If you use a robot, try to also change the spin to learn the adjustments for heavier or lighter spin. You can either open the blade some more, or make a faster upwards swing. Adjusting the bat angle is more reliable if you are close to maxed out on your swing speed/accelleration.  Nothing will replace training with a human player giving you a push or a chop. You have to see it all to be able to anticipate, move to position, get low enough, explode up and forward with the right open bat angle (more open for heavier spin) and the right timing/balance/recovery. You don't get these clues with a robot, but it could be better than nothing if you use it to learn your blade angles and stroke direction for different spins. Nothing will replace the feedback of someone watching you hit. Getting the anticipation and position right are under rated.  So many people miss the shot because of poor balance/movement/position/reaction. It all starts by being low and crouched. Being caught standing invites all kind of trouble. Maybe the robot spraying the balls all over the place helps you practice that some. You will get real frustrated in your early stages and that is just something you will learn to deal with. You will improve with more reps if you understand your errors and work to correct them, and go next to nowhere if you don't. That is the arguement for the robot doing the same thing. You will learn to avoid being tense and make you explosion smoother/well timed and eventually add more wrist and differnt contact points to make a hooking loop. Your confidence will eventually improve to a point where it is profitable to attack the right ball. You will probably fail in the early stages, but keep at it and succeed.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

When you lift it, dont forget the forward part of the stroke. A lot of people when learning to loop underspin, FH or BH, focus so much on the lifting, that their entire stroke just becomes a straight upwards line, and they have no forward momentum to carry it over the net. 

Absolutely +1  This is something that I struggle with. I have a very fast FH lifting stroke. I generate a huge amount of spin. My main problem is that I often totally miss the ball  Embarrassed  because I don't have enough forward motion in the stroke to make sure that I make good contact with the ball. I know that I need to work on this.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2009 at 11:47am
Originally posted by ChopSmash ChopSmash wrote:

Absolutely +1  This is something that I struggle with. I have a very fast FH lifting stroke. I generate a huge amount of spin. My main problem is that I often totally miss the ball  Embarrassed  because I don't have enough forward motion in the stroke to make sure that I make good contact with the ball. I know that I need to work on this.

It's hard to train, but a coach and a long-pimple player (to defend and give underspin your looping shots) will help you, I think.

I trained my forehand loop against a long-pimple player and it works.

And multi-ball works well to get a good forwards motion.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2009 at 12:17am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

brush the ball at its back like brushing it 2 o' clock angle and 3 o' clock if its heavy back spin. the timing is crucial also. brush the ball on the rise
 I agree with this but I would say that although you should only be looking to open the point up by flipping or looping you must always have the backup of just pushing the ball back (either short or at thier body etc) what I mean is don't just think that you must always attack the underspin serves (the very best players will often just push it back strategity if they can't get a good flip in)

I realise you are trying to learn one shot here .Im just adding that you must have more than one option
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic