Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting an Underspin Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
shamoo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 3:24pm
I would have to disagree with you two and side with mathemagician on this one.

There's a lot of emphasis on the form of the stroke and of course that's important.. but the form is not just to make you look cool.. it's to improve consistency, speed, spin, reduce strain, improve readiness and position ... etc... these are all things that you can test for with a robot, as long as you have some baseline intelligence and ability to self-critique, and challenge yourself rather than just whack balls as hard as you can.

Just my own experience, by using my robot, I learned how to make my strokes more compact.. i wasn't ready between balls or couldn't make it to the next ball. I set a drill from one end of the table to the other, and this helped advance my footwork, etc. So, I would counter that using a robot actually helps you refine your strokes and form as long as you have some baseline intelligence.. the robot brings out your weaknesses. I also was using a lot of arm in my strokes and learned to use my legs/hips more which actually seems to have improved my overall accuracy and consistency.

The next best thing to a robot is a coach who is available whenever you want, however long you want, for a single up front flat fee.. lol! j/k, I think the coach is equally important because the coach saves a lot of time.. what you may learn through intelligent trial-and-error over a year, a coach may teach you in a few sessions... but a lot can be said for the value of the journey of mistakes... plus in the beginning, consistency is king and for that, the robot is excellent.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic