FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Lily and the 2020 Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2019 at 8:30pm
Lily graduated and is a full time pro in europe. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

thanks.

That article is inspiring, especially the 2nd paragraph.

"Pay attention to what makes you feel alive"

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2019 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Just a little anecdote that Lily told me: We know that she took off a year of university to prepare for the Olympics; what was not as widely known is that she graduated "on time," that is, she took an above average heavy class load in her three years to graduate in the calendar four year time frame.

These high achievers we look up to are predicable.

Thanks, 
Donn

Baseball is like church: many attend but few understand.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 9:03am
Great to see Lily's picture and article under MyTableTennis.NET's "What's New" section!
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Thanks apacible. She's such a great success story. I've always thought of Lily and Ariel as pioneers for American womens table tennis ... and now with Lily taking things a step further, she's put us on the map so to speak.

Lily will be there in Tokyo. Even if she doesn't win the ranking race or trials, there's no way USATT screws this up.
what happened to Ariel?
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Thanks apacible. She's such a great success story. I've always thought of Lily and Ariel as pioneers for American womens table tennis ... and now with Lily taking things a step further, she's put us on the map so to speak.

Lily will be there in Tokyo. Even if she doesn't win the ranking race or trials, there's no way USATT screws this up.
what happened to Ariel?
She basically quit playing competitively when she went to college and hasn’t returned.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

what happened to Ariel?
She basically quit playing competitively when she went to college and hasn’t returned.
Yeah, she's working a boring desk job probably pulling a 6 figure salary.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99
OSP Ultimate II, FH/Xiom Omega VII Asia Max BH/Omega VII Asia Max
OSP Virtuoso+, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 12:17pm

what happened to Ariel?
I heard when she went to college but didn't hear about it since.  Thanks.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

what happened to Ariel?
Yeah, she's working a boring desk job probably pulling a 6 figure salary.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99
  more info  , thanks - nothing wrong with getting a job
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 12:51pm
Just FYI, Yue and Lily are the 3rd and 7th seeds, respectively, at the upcoming ITTF Challenge Belarus Open.  There's a number of Japanese players attending, and you can bet the JNT is reviewing videos of Lily's matches.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 12:52pm

Just FYI, Yue and Lily are the 3rd and 7th seeds, respectively, at the upcoming ITTF Challenge Belarus Open.  There's a number of Japanese players attending, and you can bet the JNT is reviewing videos of Lily's matches.

All they have to do is send her a chopper in an early round.  
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
KiwiPong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

All they have to do is send her a chopper in an early round.  

That is (sad) but true. North American (even some players from Asia) are terrible against any decent choppers.....
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 1:41pm

Before the Belarus Open Lily is announced at a tournament in Holland, Oct 26-27:

Nikhil Kumar and Nicholas Tio are entered too. US sweep?

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 1:51pm
[QUOTE=GMan4911]Yeah, she's working a boring desk job probably pulling a 6 figure salary.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99[/QUOTE]

She graduated with a bachelor's in 2017 and immediately got a senior business analyst position? Shocked 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 2:01pm
Princeton degree gets you places (especially a combination of economics and computer science). So does being an ex-Olympian.  I was looking at that company and they seem to have several ex-athletes and people with other interesting life experiences.

Edited by Baal - 10/21/2019 at 2:03pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 2:24pm

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

[QUOTE=GMan4911]Yeah, she's working a boring desk job probably pulling a 6 figure salary.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/ariel-hsing-10940b99[/QUOTE]

She graduated with a bachelor's in 2017 and immediately got a senior business analyst position? Shocked 

She also attended multiple Berkshire Hathaway annual meetings, since she was 11. She knows Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2019 at 4:52pm
Ariel is making well above 6 figures.  Definitely not 7, but she is doing ok for herself.

If you graduate from an elite ivy league school, you know the kids who get the best jobs are almost always from rich families and are well connected.  Ariel's friendship with "uncle Bill" and "uncle Warren" definitely put her in this category.  However, she is so OCD, hard working and focused that if her name were Jane Do she probably would have ended up with the same type of job.  I know too many people who ended up with phenomenal jobs despite being addicts with easy majors because daddy was a politician or banker or tycoon.  However knowing what I know about Ariel, she worked hard to get where she is. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 12:26pm
A lot of water went through the bridges since David Yu was roaming the american forums.

Edited by stiltt - 10/22/2019 at 12:36pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 12:27pm
I like this one: they have been knowing each other for a while:

Click on the image to open it in a new window
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 1:02pm
Is that really a friendship with “uncle Bill” and “uncle Warren”? Somehow I start to have goosebumps when I hear that again. Lily has a real passion for table tennis, and she has achieved something in the history of USA TT no one else has. She will be respected even more with her decision to go pro. Best wishes for her.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

Is that really a friendship with “uncle Bill” and “uncle Warren”? Somehow I start to have goosebumps when I hear that again. Lily has a real passion for table tennis, and she has achieved something in the history of USA TT no one else has. She will be respected even more with her decision to go pro. Best wishes for her.
Yes, they are some kind of a mascot for them, the funny girls playing pong. On another hand, there  is no better respect than letting people realize themselves with their own resources so there is no dependency pollution between them, their relationship, whatever it is, is clean and money less. So I don't know what to think. Maybe only the fact they publicly paid attention to them is already a huge value and that should be enough? again I have no clue but it's an interesting idea to chew on.

Edited by stiltt - 10/22/2019 at 1:16pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 2:13am

It's Ariel who's friends with Gates and (especially) Buffett, I don't think Lily has ever met them.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 8:23am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Yes, they are some kind of a mascot for them, the funny girls playing pong. On another hand, there  is no better respect than letting people realize themselves with their own resources so there is no dependency pollution between them, their relationship, whatever it is, is clean and money less. So I don't know what to think. Maybe only the fact they publicly paid attention to them is already a huge value and that should be enough? again I have no clue but it's an interesting idea to chew on.

Warren Buffett enjoys playing ping pong.  The organizers of the famous annual meeting of the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders' thought it fun to bring in a table tennis table and have a very young but very good player "challenge" Warren to a match.  Ariel was selected and invited every year to attend.  Bill Gates plays too, including having taken lessons.

I knew Ariel and her mom some in years past.  Ariel applied however was not accepted to Stanford.  Ariel was accepted at Princeton.  Another national level player, Erica Wu, was good friends with Ariel and very strong academically.  She was accepted to Harvard, however decided to follow with Ariel to Princeton.

Lily considered Stanford and would very likely have been accepted as she had the credentials and her dad was a former Mathematics professor there (goodness knows what contribution to the discipline of Mathematics he must have made to get that job!) until he moved to the private technology sector.  Lily is close to her sister who was attending Berkeley.  She decided to select Berkeley and room with her sister for the duration, including picking up a couple rescue cats from a shelter and "illegally" keeping them in their dorm room (love the spirit!).

Ariel is a first rate person; earned everything she has attained and, given the assumption she is emotionally and lifestyle receptive to corporate life, will thrive.

Thanks,
Donn

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 9:39am
Since we're showing Ariel and Lily in their early stages, here's one. When Ariel Hsing was 12, her mom sometimes wrote "just have fun" on her left forearm - I suppose to help her stay calm. 

Edited by heavyspin - 10/23/2019 at 9:40am
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 12:51pm
I have seen too many kids who have used table tennis to boost their extracurricular achievements to get into an elite university and then quit playing. Nothing morally wrong about that. Just not sure how good it’s for them and our sport. I of course know it’s not my business.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Since we're showing Ariel and Lily in their early stages, here's one. When Ariel Hsing was 12, her mom sometimes wrote "just have fun" on her left forearm - I suppose to help her stay calm. 

In our sport, Heavyspin is inimitable, irreplaceable, and unignorable.

Thanks,
Donn

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 3:54pm

I have seen too many kids who have used table tennis to boost their extracurricular achievements to get into an elite university and then quit playing. Nothing morally wrong about that. Just not sure how good it’s for them and our sport. I of course know it’s not my business.

It's great for them if it helps them with their life.  As for what it does for the sport?  It kind of gets to the issue of what sport is for.  I think it is for a healthy life.  The fact that the top 0.0001% can do it for a living is entertaining.  Nothing more.
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

It's great for them if it helps them with their life.  As for what it does for the sport?  It kind of gets to the issue of what sport is for.  I think it is for a healthy life.  The fact that the top 0.0001% can do it for a living is entertaining.  Nothing more.
well said.  in North America, TT financial wise  is a drain to get to top level, and what do you get out of it in financial terms, mostly not much.  So if a player stays a true force for the sport, they are most likely taking a financial sacrifice  - do we have the right to ask them to do so? 
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2019 at 4:52pm

My college team had a player who had a live-in coach as a child.  He absolutely hated playing and just showed up for matches. To his credit, off of almost no practice he fought hard and always did very well.  In his case he was forced to play as a child and really disliked anything to do with table tennis.  I wonder if some of the kids were just forced to play and once they get the chance to stop, they stop.

As a coach I see several parents going really hard on their kids when their kids really don't want to be playing.  Some parents might see it as a pathway to the ivies, but I try to explain to them that even if they make the Olympics that is no guarantee they will get accepted everywhere.  My college team bent over backwards trying to get an Olympian accepted but in the end they didn't get in for whatever reason.  I tell the parents if you really want to get into a good college the key is getting good grades, not having a good sidespin chop block. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic