Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Liu Guoliang to lead World Table Tennis Council
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liu Guoliang to lead World Table Tennis Council

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liu Guoliang to lead World Table Tennis Council
    Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:50am

so does that mean he is going to resign from the cnt ?

Edited by jackwong23 - 06/29/2020 at 3:50am
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 12:56am
why lgl ? no one wants to see china dominate table tennis for another 100 years. Could have given the position to someone like Rosskorf or Richard Prause.

Edited by jackwong23 - 06/30/2020 at 12:57am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 3:42am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

why lgl ? no one wants to see china dominate table tennis for another 100 years. Could have given the position to someone like Rosskorf or Richard Prause.

If he is still head coach and didn't take up this role the domination is even more likely to happen. Lol luring him away from CNT weakens the CNT...
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
EJbug View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 8:47am

Why not? What wrong with China dominate table tennis? Why you think Germany better then China?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 10:31am
The only thing that bothers me is that he doesnt't speak english or atleast not in this video. I know China is a super power and has huge knowledge but if you want to present yourself to the world in this position english is key. If he doesn't speak english who is going to take this seriously outside of hardcore table tennis fans.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 10:51am
a) 1.4 billion people want to see China dominate table tennis for the next 100 years

b) English speaking people can be hired 

c) Only hardcore table tennis fans will have any interest in WTT no matter what they do

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 2:19pm
I am just talking about the global aspect. With english you might reach a bigger audience outside of asia. Thats all I'm saying
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

a) 1.4 billion people want to see China dominate table tennis for the next 100 years

b) English speaking people can be hired 

c) Only hardcore table tennis fans will have any interest in WTT no matter what they do

more clear than that, ever!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I am just talking about the global aspect. With english you might reach a bigger audience outside of asia. Thats all I'm saying

The leader doesn't always need language skills, it's damn easy to hire good spokespersons who can speak good English. What is needed is good ideas, leadership and execution.
-------
Hurricane Long 5

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2020 at 7:51pm
I always liked this format compared to the World Championships. 

Pro Tours are just insignificant competitions and people rightfully treat them as the trash they are, which is why viewership is bad, not even the players themselves are very invested in them due to low prestige and even lower prize money.

Having prestigious "grand Smashes" with high prize money will seriously up the stakes for the players which makes them take it very seriously and make for a "big competition" atmosphere which is very attractive to audiences.

Other ideas include 
1) ad supported reasonable quality video streaming 
2) paid tier streaming of competitions which has no ads and silky smooth HD,60fps quality.
3) get rid of the trash top down shit angle lmao, just adopt the T2 video style and that'll be perfect.
4) more fun content especially training videos

TT is actually really popular and has a large audience especially in China, but the existing ITTF marketing is absolutely atrocious, and this is definitely a step in the right direction.
-------
Hurricane Long 5

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 4:17am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

The leader doesn't always need language skills, it's damn easy to hire good spokespersons who can speak good English. What is needed is good ideas, leadership and execution.

True definitely a good point. The things that you mentioned are definitely the most important!
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 7:37am

True definitely a good point. The things that you mentioned are definitely the most important!
Though I agree that LGL will make a great chair for the WTT for his skill set mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt for him to improve his English.  I think it's the official language for ITTF meetings and tournaments.  Steve Dainton, the ITTF CEO, speaks Chinese which I think really helps him in his role. 
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 7:43am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Though I agree that LGL will make a great chair for the WTT for his skill set mentioned above, it wouldn't hurt for him to improve his English.  I think it's the official language for ITTF meetings and tournaments.  Steve Dainton, the ITTF CEO, speaks Chinese which I think really helps him in his role. 

So Steve Dainton can translate for Liu Guoliang
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 8:56am
Hi,

For those of us who value learning from trends of successful and prominent relevant examples, it is irresistible to not propound the acceptance of English as the existing and ongoing global avalanche lingua franca.  The evidence is everywhere in professional sports of this truism also, including table tennis.  This means both that the leadership authorities in these fields advocate and enforce the need for a linqua franca and that it should be English.  [Women's golf went so far as to attempt to "force" the Koreans to learn English to enhance these golfers' interaction with the global public.]  [As the decline in the study of non-English foreign languages steams forward locomotive-like in speed and power, the world is learning English.]

Coupling close attention to the public pronouncements in their various forms with an analytical turn of mind, one must conclude the essential promoted and objective quality of World Table Tennis is a very significant increase in financial resources.  The new WTT structure exists as a means of both acquisition and distribution of these financial resources on a much larger scale.

The understanding that not one leading international sport is headed by an Asian is instructive.  There is an explanation for this.

The observation that exceptional expertise in the management and administration of table tennis in a significantly large group of English-speaking Europeans is, at the same time, accurate and activated, in no less a presence than in the ITTF.  All attempts at arguing otherwise stand on a frail and unsupported platform.

While ignoring the inevitable thread of political exposure that any candidate would bring to this discussion, a substantiated thesis of Liu Guoliang's competency for the Chairmanship of the World Table Tennis Council is an extremely easy task, the lowest fruit from the tree to pick.  As expected from the official pronouncement of his selection, the real primary reason is not to be mentioned.  Liu Guoliang represents the greatest source of and access to financial resources for the sport of table tennis.  More money will flow through him and into the sport than any other individual.  For such a flow to flow, the proper influence must be in place to ensure these sourced holders of capital are justly represented; thus, Liu Guoliang.

Quite soon after the Japanese stopped occupying China, China began buying much of the world.  As just one manifestation of this; in an almost circus-like fashion the President of China parades through Africa throwing a billion dollars here and a few billion dollars there in country after country, purchasing the resources for China's future.  The model of financial-resources-to-power-acquisition need not be further explained.

Today, in international table tennis, China has the biggest stars, the greatest system, and dictates the competition outcomes.  What has lagged is direct control over the administration and management of the sport.  This lagging is now less.

Thanks.  

Technique is a false culture.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2020 at 12:50pm

If he is still head coach and didn't take up this role the domination is even more likely to happen. Lol luring him away from CNT weakens the CNT...

lgl has to be pried away from the cnt completely in order for the rest of the world to have a chance of beating  the cnt. 

If he is only given an advisory role I doubt it is going to do alot of damage to the cnt. Hope he has been given a full time position by the wtt council. 

Edited by jackwong23 - 07/01/2020 at 12:56pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by MikeXSmith MikeXSmith wrote:

lgl has to be pried away from the cnt completely in order for the rest of the world to have a chance of beating  the cnt. 

LOL 
Seriously joking, additional rule change are are required to slow the sport down and reduce the spin to take advantage of larger build (on average) of Europeans. May be you can make ONLY the pickleball bat & ball legal in table tennis . Hey what the hell ITTF has already raped the sport beyond recognition by taking away the spin one step at a time with such changes as 40 mm ball, plastic ball etc. You might as well go all the way.  I would like to see the Chinese struggling to spin or hit the 75 mm pickleball with a dead paddle & American old pickleball  ladies laughing their asses off   

Lmao who is this troll... btw Europeans enjoyed a lot more success during the fast, spinny, 38mm speed glue era, so the changes actually benefited the Chinese. What does that tell you about the effect of spin reduction and "physicality"....
-------
Hurricane Long 5

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 1:25am

If he is only given an advisory role I doubt it is going to do alot of damage to the cnt. Hope he has been given a full time position by the wtt council. 

It's funny how you changed your mind immediately.....
-------
Hurricane Long 5

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 11:34am
Anyone else dislike "Grand Smash"? Sounds dumb, like something Bobrow would vomit.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

Anyone else dislike "Grand Smash"? Sounds dumb, like something Bobrow would vomit.

Hi,

I too do not favor that phrase.  I think for something associated with the recreational portion of the sport, it is fine.  For the highest level professional events and financial restructuring, I would prefer a phrase of some dignity.  Golf has its "Majors", and Tennis does have its "Grand Slams", a similar phrase however it also has many decades of history which has moved it into a legacy status that has high acceptance in tradition.

Table tennis, on the other hand, is trying to break into the big time of major sports, starting at a low strata.  We are already challenged by the "ping pong" phrasing that encompasses the least serious of our sport's play, its onomatopoeia inviting a trivializing tone.

In English, the word "smash" has many meanings, including a type of shot in racket sports and, in England, the adjectival foundation of something "smashing", not usually related to in the most serious manner.  The term "smash" does not, to me, capture the very sober nature that the sport should be attempting to express for its finest hours.

And also, it is too close in sentiment and sound to "Grand Slam", suggesting an effort to crudely copy another major sport, thus starting at the start with a lack of ingenuity. 

Often it is the case that executives spend very significant time and resources formulating a complex and intricate strategic plan for a major initiative, then, somewhere toward the end of this process they ask "What should we call it?"  Sitting around the conference table, offers are shouted out with not sufficient seriousness, until the guy at the head of the table says "I like Grand Smash, how about you?" and the nods have it.  They see it as a trivial matter, of which it is not.  

Far preferred to fully honor the sport for the greatness that it is, a professional assistance should have been consulted in an effort to find the perfect name for the most extensive competition and financial overhaul in the history of the sport.

Thanks.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 11:08pm
How does grand smash sound in chinese?  (Any dialect, i won't know the difference anyway)

Name them something in chinese that phonetically sounds cool in english but (obvs) has no english meaning.  That would be more chic than some ad agency branding that will inevitably be so 20th century.

Ah Google translate says grand smash is da fensui.  So call them davincis.  Everyone knows how to say it.  Can I bill ITTF €100,000 for my 20 second effort to brand their new events better than they did?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2020 at 11:36pm
The Great Cho.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2020 at 7:25am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

How does grand smash sound in chinese?  (Any dialect, i won't know the difference anyway)

Name them something in chinese that phonetically sounds cool in english but (obvs) has no english meaning.  That would be more chic than some ad agency branding that will inevitably be so 20th century.

Ah Google translate says grand smash is da fensui.  So call them davincis.  Everyone knows how to say it.  Can I bill ITTF €100,000 for my 20 second effort to brand their new events better than they did?

Hi,

The philosophical position taken by all the major spokespeople on this initiative is the opposite in nature.  In spirit the appeal is to be worldwide, not Chinese-centric.  The English language is the primary communication vehicle for the ITTF.

Thanks.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2020 at 1:23pm

It's funny how you changed your mind immediately.....

why rest of the world should need  a chance? they must work for it
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The Great Cho.
Clap

I second the name: "Cho" would come directly from the guts of table tennis winners, it would be a name popping out from the deepest of our table tennis culture, there is a great idea behind the apparent joke.

Lmao I can just imagine a non TT person tuning in and is like wtf is this lol....

Edited by blahness - 07/04/2020 at 7:48pm
-------
Hurricane Long 5

igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2020 at 8:29pm
Actually Stive Dainton runs the whole show, not Liu.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2020 at 6:53pm
LGL could not really promote china super league. Don't think he can do much to promote world TT either. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2020 at 8:10pm
I heard something about LGL being embroiled in some scandal involving him doing advertisements for a company involved in financial scams....

Situation is quite interesting now LOL
-------
Hurricane Long 5

kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2020 at 8:13pm
It was said china super league offered free admission and free lunch, and still only a few audience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic