Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

long fast serve to the deep forehand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long fast serve to the deep forehand
    Posted: 12/14/2020 at 11:12pm
Think this serve is kinda underrated against players who stay in their BH corner a lot with strong BHs and weaker FHs. So the idea is to serve long with deceptive spin (especially reverse serve or hook serves) to try to get a mistake, if they manage to loop it it's gonna be diagonal most of the time so just wait there to do a quick counter. It's super difficult to push it with control, and if they do it's gonna just be an opportunity for you to powerloop it. 

If they move towards the middle to cover deep FH then the extreme BH short diagonal becomes more of a weakness. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

merlin el mago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin el mago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2020 at 10:03am
I always expect a long service.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2020 at 1:31am
I use this way more than I should. The idea is surprise. So you can't rely on it. But yes, one every now and then often forces an error Tongue
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2020 at 1:58am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I use this way more than I should. The idea is surprise. So you can't rely on it. But yes, one every now and then often forces an error Tongue

Haha I think if the opponent's FH is weaker, it could even be a primary strategy. I recently learnt the FH off the bounce quick mini counterloop, and this serve was the perfect complement to it. So if the incoming loop is of poorer quality you could just do a quick counterloop off it to gain the initiative.

And this serve is pretty much unpushable (unlike long serves to the BH) which has the advantage of forcing a rally, if you're stronger at it than your opponent. 

I actually tried it against my training partner who has a stronger BH than FH and he was struggling against it haha. 
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2020 at 8:53pm
Oh yeah I agree. I've lost so many points to people who serve long fast, force a weaker loop and do a quick off the bounce counter.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Oh yeah I agree. I've lost so many points to people who serve long fast, force a weaker loop and do a quick off the bounce counter.

Yeah I find it super underrated (long fast serves). A lot of people do it wrong because their long fast serves are always just plain topspin or no spin fast serves which are too easy to handle. Basically when done right, you should have equal or even more spin variation and disguise in your long fast serves than your short serves. I have lots of heavy side underspin long fast serves which win the point outright. 

These days I find short serves to be actually less effective than my long serves in terms of point winning percentages, except the wide short serves which are my favourite placements (normal pendulum to wide BH short, reverse pendulum to wide FH short) as they force the opponent to move a lot which then opens up the other side as a weakness to attack. 

I learnt some of this from watching Ma Long's games, he also serves long  with heavy spin quite a lot to catch opponents off guard and his short serves also tend to be very wide (short FH, wide BH) which have proven to be very effective. 

Edited by blahness - 12/17/2020 at 9:10pm
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic