Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looping underspin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
rskywkr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskywkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 6:14pm

I'm speaking for my friend:

I used the Swedish training video(mainly Waldner) from the ~85 and I watched the Chinese from the same period.  Some of you have already given good explanations but I'll add a subtle variation. I use this as a start:

Use your legs to go forward and up (~45 degrees)while rotating at the waist, open the racket face, keep your racket just behind leg( for left or right handers) and move towards the ball; as you approach the ball, the last half of your swing is accelerated(forward not straight up).

I make adjustments( how much top or side spin) once I have felt or read the amount of underspin.  Meaning how much spin I attempt to return with.  There is also something called "respecting the spin" =waiting to attack the ball on the descent, which in my opinion, will get you destroyed.

Start with looping pushes and progress to chops.  You have to get those feet in position ASAP and have confidence.

Try it out and I'll let my friend know.

Sponsored Links

DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 9:35pm
All i gotta say is looping is easy for me now it took me about 2 months to learn it....

Believe me people i can loop anything. Well sidespin makes it a bit more interesting but i think i got it down....

when i started looping chops i missed a lot so i just watched this video here Scroll down to China vs. Korea (WANG Haovs. Joo Se Hyuk)

Basically from what i gained in this video is that you cant do the same motion as you do in a regular loop you must be vertical as much as possible...

I say about 20 degrees forward and you must have a small motion forward...

I agree that you must strike the ball around the high point because you cant loop without power and it'll come from there.....Each time your opponent chops back repeat the process until they give you a high ball then just doo a forward and very slightly up open paddle smash....This should take care of any backspin given....

The only strokes you need to memorize are Push, Heavy chop loop, light backspin loop drive, topspin vs topspin loop drive, a powerful vs topspin/ nospin smash, and a backspin smash

THE ONE THING I RECOMMEND IS PLAY AGAINST CHOPPERS WHEN YOU ARE TOTALLY SUCESSFUL WITH THE HEAVY BACKSPIN THEN EVERYTHING ELSE IT UNBELIEVEABLY EASIER!!
Hard work and self-determination will surpass talent.

Blade-Homemade BirchBalsaBullet (3B JSX)
FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
holoclothes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holoclothes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 9:43pm
you can loop anything?
"If I had a gun, there'd be no tomorrow"
BLADE: Yasaka Neptune
FH: Yasaka New Era
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 10:21pm
Yes!!! seriously i can loop anything well forehand wise but i step around very often but on pretty rare occasions i miss...what is bad are my backhand loops and both my fh and bh smashes. I still have to work on those.

FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 10:23pm
Can you loop a dropshot?
Potato Face
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 10:47pm
Looping back spin is not that difficult what is difficult is playing a chopper who varies his spin from shot to shot.  You have to watch him very carefully and keep adjusting your stroke to the spin changes.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 12:44am
silvaslis you mean like the one Wang Hao does on his far fh corner?

Yeah dropshots just require a very slow loop, but that gives me plenty of time to do a heavy topspin loop dropshot back to their fh sideline.

FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
GantZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GantZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 1:06am
ummm..... i dont think that is a dropshot that is just reloops over and over.
Equipment:
Petr Korbel
Sriver EL
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 1:48am
No, I mean a dropshot in the centre of the table.
Loop that back
Potato Face
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 2:47am
Well, its possible for a penholder to do a sort of mini-loop on the forehand or use the reverse side to topspin it. But generally best to just drop back and wait unless you can kill it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 3:01am
u can flip a drop shot. 
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra, Primorac 2000 CS (traditional only)
FH: Globe 999/999T
BH: Sriver-D13-L, Sriver EL (RPB)
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 3:02am

u know wut, we should all challenge Datsukid. 

Ah Hie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ah Hie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 6:21am
Can we smash the heavy back spin ball.
i can loop it but the ball not very fast.
Butterfly Chinese ULC + Xiom vega pro
Nittaku Rorin + T05
KTS red Label+ Stiga Boot TP
BTY RSM Max + Bryce
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 7:58am
Originally posted by DatSuKid DatSuKid wrote:

All i gotta say is looping is easy for me now it took me about 2 months to learn it....

Believe me people i can loop anything.

You obviously haven't played the right people ...
Gaute View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 10:01am
No, you cant learn the perfect loop in to months.. Even though you are a penhold player DatSuKid!
Blade: Avalox
Rubbers:Donic desto F3 Big slam (both sides)

I have stopped gluening now, I play as good without. Donic desto F3 Big slam gives klick anyways...
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 10:39am
Wang zhen says it took him 15 years to perfect his loop, so theres no way to perfect it in 2 months. i also agree with the other user saying that you just haven't played the right people, once you play people better then you, you cna't loop everything even if you can get to the ball.
cheers
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Gaute View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 10:44am
If you could loop everything you would be famous
Blade: Avalox
Rubbers:Donic desto F3 Big slam (both sides)

I have stopped gluening now, I play as good without. Donic desto F3 Big slam gives klick anyways...
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Ah Hie Ah Hie wrote:

It's important to learn to smash against underspin otherwise your chances against strong choppers won't be very high. You have to open your blade more and hit with all the power you have if the backspin is very strong. If you use short pips it's relatively easy to smash against backspin because they are not very sensitive against spin.
rskywkr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskywkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 12:21pm

Yes.  Before I learned to loop, I learned to hit backspin by using sidespin.  Example: when you receive a long push to the forehand from cross court, hit on the diagonal(corner to corner) slightly grazing the ball.

Ex2: Flat hit; open the racket face, catch the ball at it's highest point, and hit it directly(straight line) to where you choose.

Again, get in position asap so that you can read the spin, experiment and get a better understanding of  "how to..." against certain spins. 

jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 1:34pm
yea u can.  it's smash stronger than a smash which requires some position adjustment where it allows u to put all that power into the ball.  the point of this smash is to overcome the backspin so ur using speed against spin and it could also be the other way around if someone wants to counter ur strong smash, they simply overcome ur smash by looping it hard (more spin).  you could always work on powerloops instead of smashes against backspins. 
packtim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by DatSuKid DatSuKid wrote:

Believe me people i can loop anything. Well sidespin makes it a bit more interesting but i think i got it down....

when i started looping chops i missed a lot so i just watched this video here Scroll down to China vs. Korea (WANG Haovs. Joo Se Hyuk)

Basically from what i gained in this video is that you cant do the same motion as you do in a regular loop you must be vertical as much as possible...

I say about 20 degrees forward and you must have a small motion forward...

I agree that you must strike the ball around the high point because you cant loop without power and it'll come from there.....Each time your opponent chops back repeat the process until they give you a high ball then just doo a forward and very slightly up open paddle smash....This should take care of any backspin given....

The only strokes you need to memorize are Push, Heavy chop loop, light backspin loop drive, topspin vs topspin loop drive, a powerful vs topspin/ nospin smash, and a backspin smash

THE ONE THING I RECOMMEND IS PLAY AGAINST CHOPPERS WHEN YOU ARE TOTALLY SUCESSFUL WITH THE HEAVY BACKSPIN THEN EVERYTHING ELSE IT UNBELIEVEABLY EASIER!!

Its all very well being able to loop against one backspin, but the skill starts when people start chopping 4-5 back.  Its much harder then to keep looping.  Variety is the key..

Donic Waldner Senso Carbon AN
Donic Desto F3BigSlam Max FH
LKT Rapid Speed 2.2 BH
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 1:58pm
i am getting tired of Datsukid video posts and claims that he plays somewhat similar to wang hao. 
AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 4:50pm
no offense, but looping cant be mastered in a couple of months. you can learn to do it. i learned to do it, but am no where close to mastering it. and one tip that i have learned, people say to wait til it gets low to loop it, i dont believe that. letting it drop too much is not good, i try and take it a few inches after going off the table.
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 5:07pm
it really all depends on ur style.  some people wait for the ball to drop so they can get more curvature out of it and it depends on the situation.  i will wait for the ball to drop when is dropping near the table and then bring it up as i loop, which is pretty cool.  u get fast loops if u pick it up off the bounce but yea looping requires time to learn. 
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 5:08pm
ur hurricane is good for off the bounce looping.
tony7190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony7190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 8:40pm
how is the looping motion different when looping with pips? is it harder? or should i just not even bother trying to get my loops to the level they were when i had inverted?
DHS 4007 Penhold Blade
FH: 802-40
BH: G888
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 8:41pm
Lol sorry bot the vid posts...I copy his style pretty well though...ok i'll sto...

Anyway I only loop heavy backspin balls about 3-4 times then my opponent gives a popup backspin which is good for a smash...or itf he stands back its good to fake a movement and push it back.

I might try my G666 tonight..I have a red sheet is it worse than black version? a forum said black is spinnier

FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
Ah Hie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ah Hie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2006 at 2:13am
Originally posted by rskywkr rskywkr wrote:

Yes. Before I learned to loop, I learned to hit backspin by using sidespin. Example: when you receive a long push to the forehand from cross court, hit on the diagonal(corner to corner) slightly grazing the ball.

Ex2: Flat hit; open the racket face, catch the ball at it's highest point, and hit it directly(straight line) to where you choose.

Again, get in position asap so that you can read the spin, experiment and get a better understanding of "how to..." against certain spins.

what happen if the ball is very low??????
are is there any other way beside wo chop is back???
Butterfly Chinese ULC + Xiom vega pro
Nittaku Rorin + T05
KTS red Label+ Stiga Boot TP
BTY RSM Max + Bryce
jc48573 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc48573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2006 at 2:37am

if is too low then u have to push it back or flip

pingpong1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2006 at 3:42pm

you guyes are using the word "loop" too often.

If one don't even know how to loop incoming backspin, then he doesn't know how to loop at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic