Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lower back pain - suddenly caught it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower back pain - suddenly caught it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower back pain - suddenly caught it.
    Posted: 07/12/2020 at 2:11pm
Last time I played TT was in early March, in a league play.
I haven't played any ever since.

A week or so ago, I suddenly got this "lower back pain", it just won't go away and getting worse.
When I was playing in recent years, did I "fall" and got hurt badly?
No, never.  My falls were not heavy, never got hurt.

Our club, right now, does not open for play.
When it does open, hope my lower back pain will heal so that I can play.

Any tips to deal with this problem?

Edited by skip3119 - 07/12/2020 at 2:21pm
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 2:32pm
Only advice I can give is to rest. I suffer with low back pain since 2010, when I dislocated something in my spine pushing a heavy pallet.
Since then my back always hurts when I practice and it takes at least 4 days to recover. Then I play again and more rest is needed. This is a kind of routine for me.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 2:52pm
Hi, a 60yo+ man who still plays at the 2k level had his lower back pain issue resolved by practicing yoga. 

It's all about strengthening the core so pilates would help too.

Edited by stiltt - 07/12/2020 at 2:53pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 3:10pm
rest.  Foam roller.  Weight loss.  Ibuprofen.  Heating pads. 

Here's a trick that works for me, but you can only do it if you have two bathtubs where you live.   Fill one with cold water,  the other very warm.  Get into the warm.  Ten minutes.  Than as quickly as you can,  go to the cold one and get  in.  Stay awhile.  It is not fun.  Go back and forth a couple of times. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Hi, a 60yo+ man who still plays at the 2k level had his lower back pain issue resolved by practicing yoga. 

It's all about strengthening the core so pilates would help too.

I got some back pain when I tried to lift a 250 lb log into the back of my pickup.  I've always done yoga and my wife is a yoga teacher trainer, she told me to do 10 "cat, cow" poses every day.  I also like childs pose.  Not a problem since.  
Fabian1890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 4:59pm
train your core and back
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I got some back pain when I tried to lift a 250 lb log into the back of my pickup.  I've always done yoga and my wife is a yoga teacher trainer, she told me to do 10 "cat, cow" poses every day.  I also like childs pose.  Not a problem since.  
=====================
Thank you very much for so many responses.
I'll give it a shot on this one, and see if it will help.

There are many video of "cat, cow" poses on the web.          
ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 12:55pm
I found "Tone & Tighten" very valuable, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3lKPAy53c
No back pain anymore since I do these excercises. Also I started sleeping on a hard mattress with wood board underneath with a pillow under my knees but not under my head. Much better posture.
Sanwei Fextra, Nittaku FastArc G1 / Moristo SP
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2020 at 5:03pm
google professor Stuart McGill. Ten minutes per day with his big three exercises have completely cured my 10+ yrs of lower back pain.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=====================

=======================
Tried many things, they did not work for me.
Went to see a doctor.
After his careful evaluation, in that I did not suffer any physical injury, the doctor prescribed some kind of "muscle relaxant" - a few days later the back pain was gone.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2020 at 3:54am

Last time I played TT was in early March, in a league play.

A week or so ago, I suddenly got this "lower back pain", it just won't go away and getting worse.
No, never.  My falls were not heavy, never got hurt.

Our club, right now, does not open for play.
When it does open, hope my lower back pain will heal so that I can play.

Any tips to deal with this problem?

Lean a bit more forward for better body rotstion and use more hips and thiings when pivoting torse with less effort on arms and shoulders. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2020 at 6:38pm

=====================

=======================
Tried many things, they did not work for me.
Went to see a doctor.
After his careful evaluation, in that I did not suffer any physical injury, the doctor prescribed some kind of "muscle relaxant" - a few days later the back pain was gone.

Muscle relaxants are a pretty common approach. Sometimes they work.   They definitely help people sleep at night with bad back pain, which itself probably promotes recovery.  

A lot of the time the only way to see physical damage is with an MRI, but back pain can be bad without any detectable change even with that.  And there doesn't seem to be any one treatment that works for everybody.  

I sympathize with anybody dealing with this.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2020 at 6:38pm
Muscle imbalances is a very common problem for lower back pain. And it differs from people to people. I had no issue with weak core, but my gluteus medius was lagging behind. Once I found it (by trying exercises for different muscle groups) and started strengthening them, my problems with lower back pain ended for good. Also you should check if there are no structural problems with with spine first ofcourse.
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2020 at 8:25pm
Of course, a lot of back problems resolve by themselves just with time. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2020 at 10:06am
While my lower back-pain was resolved by a prescription drug of "muscle relaxant", I took it for only 4 or 5 days, the lower back-pain was gone - just discovered that I have a left-over pain on the upper thigh.

Now I have to deal with that.  Sucks.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2020 at 4:19pm
Skip, this  could be related to the back problem. If there is inflammation in the vicinity of the sensory nerves they enter through the little passage ways into your spine or if the passages are getting constricted (stenosed) it can cause pain in your legs, sometimes even down to your toes.  It often happens when a vertebral disc herniates or bulges out and puts pressure on part of the nerve root.  This is called a radiculopathy (or sciatica in more common terms).  If it continues it could be that. Sometimes  a 6 day treatment with a cortisone type drug (a Medrol pack) can  make it go away but not always.

Alternatively if your previous back pain made you change the way you walk it could cause that for a few days.

If it persists go back to the doctor, ask about a Medrol pack..  If you have diabetes or high blood sugar be sure to tell him.  

Edited by Baal - 08/09/2020 at 7:34pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2020 at 5:30pm
Skip, I am sorry to hear about your problem.

"Last time I played TT was in early March, in a league play.
No, never.  My falls were not heavy, never got hurt."

Sciatica... at least in my case, almost eliminated me from my professional (... not TT, of course :-) ) activity for a moment, have not played since ca. May 2018... yet. There was no fall or hurting it, L4-L5 area just went bad (inherniated) after one of the tournaments in 2017 (played a 1800 guy who was admitted as rated 1200, took a game from him after a very close match that probably cost me this...). Looong recovery. That same year moved to a different State. Very busy at work ever since. Now really ready to resume TT, in spite of the latter...

Missed This Forum very much.

"Our club, right now, does not open for play.
When it does open, hope my lower back pain will heal so that I can play."

Currently hoping for two things: (a) will be in a club, (b) the club will be open for play.

Best to all.
JacekGM

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Kontra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kontra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2020 at 7:23am
Spend few minutes daily stretching, doing yoga, warm up before matches etc but most importantly unsubscribe from Netflix
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2020 at 10:31am
Ok, we've had 2 players that had lower back pain recently and they both had to have surgery.  They lived with it for a long time and did the stretching, muscle relaxers, etc., but eventually they had an MRI and the surgeon told them they needed to have surgery.  The surgery was minimally invasive for both players and after laying off for about 3-4 weeks they were both back playing.  They have been great now for the past few months and no more pain.  We also have a couple of players that are physical therapists and they looked at the MRIs and X-rays and concurred with the surgeons.
We also have a player at our club that has a pain-management center and his first choice for many people is to get the shot to take care of the pain.  At the very least you should get an X-ray or MRI and go from there.  Hopefully it will be ok to just do the therapy.

Joola Rossi Emotion PBO-C and Vynaryz Freeze
Joola Dynaryz ACC max - BH
Joola Rhyzer 48 max - FH
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Ok, we've had 2 players that had lower back pain recently and they both had to have surgery.  They lived with it for a long time and did the stretching, muscle relaxers, etc., but eventually they had an MRI and the surgeon told them they needed to have surgery.  The surgery was minimally invasive for both players and after laying off for about 3-4 weeks they were both back playing.  They have been great now for the past few months and no more pain.  We also have a couple of players that are physical therapists and they looked at the MRIs and X-rays and concurred with the surgeons.
We also have a player at our club that has a pain-management center and his first choice for many people is to get the shot to take care of the pain.  At the very least you should get an X-ray or MRI and go from there.  Hopefully it will be ok to just do the therapy.

That was my experience also.  I p,aged after 3 weeks (very gently) and was 100% by 6 weeks.  That was ten years ago.  Surgery completely solved the problem.  I have a  small, 1 inch scar from the incision.   I've had minor recurrences of back pain but nothing like the disc herniation that happened back then.   Not everyone has such a great outcome but surgical methods have improved a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic