Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ma Long - the undisputed GOAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2019 at 2:18pm
Not everyone could appreciate ML’s creativity for sure. And it is not very relevant to be the GOAT anyway. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2019 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by dontpip dontpip wrote:

Ma Long is no goat by any stretch of imagination.He is too mechanical & too robotic
Wang LiQin also won 3 World Titles and the one & only reason he did not win Olympics is because he was unfairly left out in 2000 Sydney & in Athens, it is a well known fact that they asked him to dump to Wang Hao because they thought Wang Hao had a better chance against Ryu.

I have 2 other favorite goats but that is a secret

Ignoring the insanity of the first sentence, is it true that WLQ was "unfairly left out"? from two Olympic games?
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Yes, the greatest robotic player of
all time. 

Who cares even if he had one stroke and still beats everyone? The laugh is on everyone else who sucks so bad LOL
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 12:44pm
I've seen 'em all since the early 1960's and even played some of the world's best. And yes, Ma Long is the GOAT imho.
Tony
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 1:00pm
So weird that ML's flamboyant game isn't recognized as it should. This isn't the first time I hear or read such statement. Even some very good player's share this opinion. Mine is quite the opposite. From his early seventeen up to now I can see him thinking and trying new things everytime he's in trouble and mostly finding solutions with unexpected moves. It is very subtle changes sometimes he does that make him win the game. I agree it is not always spectacular but it is never mechanical or boring.
Neottec Hinoki Carbon
Victas V>01 Limber 1.8mm
DHS G888 1.8mm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 2:49pm
"So weird that ML's flamboyant game isn't recognized as it should. This isn't the first time I hear or read such statement. Even some very good player's share this opinion. Mine is quite the opposite. From his early seventeen up to now I can see him thinking and trying new things everytime he's in trouble and mostly finding solutions with unexpected moves. It is very subtle changes sometimes he does that make him win the game. I agree it is not always spectacular but it is never mechanical or boring."

dontpip is a troll. whatever he /she says is irrelevant.

FdT
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

Not everyone could appreciate ML’s creativity for sure. And it is not very relevant to be the GOAT anyway. 

Make a poll among kids who do you wanna be? Ma long or waldner? The answer is very easy 
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2019 at 5:15pm
Any skill/technique, old or new, looks “mechanical or robotic “ after perfection as it should be. 
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 1:45pm
I have been following this sport for a really long time.  I would not dispute that Ma Long is GOAT.  With respect to some of the other great players including Waldner and WLQ.

Just another internet forum opinion, make of it what you will.

Edited by Baal - 06/26/2019 at 1:47pm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2019 at 4:15pm
It would be hard to argue that he's not among the absolute elite of all time - his many accomplishments says that alone. However, as fun of a "game" as it is to debate 'Greatest of all time" type stuff, it's virtually impossible to compare people from different eras, where SO MANY things are completely different. I grew up watching Waldner being a young prodigy and growing into a dominant superstar in the sport. At the time, I couldn't imagine anyone ever being more gifted or generally better at this sport. But things are so different now, that it's almost a different sport. Not just with all the changes in rules, equipment and such, but also the general advancement in technology has changed everything about how people train and learn about advancing their game. Beyond that, there are vast societal changes that constantly makes sports evolve. So, I know it's sort of a buzz-kill, but it's literally an impossible debate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic