Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Matches from Rural Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2016 at 7:21pm
Around 2009, I hosted a TT tournament in suburb of Birmingham,AL.  In the area, there are
2 middle/high schools that each has 16 tables. I chose the school that is cheapest to rent.
It is amazing because they are all Butterfly, and not used much.
It seems that was left over from way back, when some team was training for Olympics(Atlanta),
so I guess some lucky schools got them for free!!!!
Sponsored Links

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

You're welcome, Pierre and skip! I'll definitely be posting more videos. I have so many more, but I haven't had the time to sort through them. Last Saturday there was another tournament in the area, and in three weeks there's another :) As long as people are interested, I'll try to keep the videos flowing.
Hi mickd, thanks for your posts.
I wonder if you had any shakehand Long Pips BH, Short Pips FH players there to show? 
...or any other  LP on Shakehand blade players? It is always hugely interesting for me to watch how different players use the pips with the Shakehand style.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2016 at 12:28am
That's cool to hear rosecitytt. I wish my school had so many nice tables (and accordingly the space to use them).

You're welcome, JacekGM. I have a lot of videos of long pips backhanders. Probably about 30% of the middle school girls use it because it's extremely effective at their level of play. A lot less boys use it. Short pips are a lot less common here, especially short pip forehanders.

I'll see what I can dig up when I have more time. I still have to find some more videos of pen holders, too!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 8:19am
Here are two more videos with penholders. It was taken last year at a local middle school students only competition.

I don't know much about the players except the girl in teal in the second video was one of the better players. I think she went top 4. Sorry that the level of play isn't very high. These videos are more for the people who enjoy watching regular people play :)

ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 2:07pm
Nice videos.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2016 at 8:48pm
In the second video, the red shirt penhold player:  at 0:23, looks like it is a RPB to me.
If indeed it is RPB, then her RPB is more powerful than her FH.

Thanks for the interesting video.  Btw, they are very polite kids.

skip3119
PierreAd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PierreAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2016 at 1:35am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

In the second video, the red shirt penhold player:  at 0:23, looks like it is a RPB to me.
If indeed it is RPB, then her RPB is more powerful than her FH.

I've noticed it too, looks like a RPB indeed.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 4:19am
Sorry it's been awhile, guys! Here's another video of the pen user from the OP. This was from a recent tournament I participated in. I was in Division 25 (basically the lowest level) and he was playing in Division 1. It just so happened we were in the same City Gym (the tournament is split over like 10 locations), so while I was having lunch, I was able to record some of his match.

Enjoy!
PierreAd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PierreAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 12:37pm
Thanks for sharing mickd, much appreciated ! I like to see this guy play. I guess he must have reached a pretty solid level when he was younger, because he seems quite fit and he has a solid technic, nothing "fancy" but it looks quite clean and controled.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 1:16pm
Looks like a very solid penhold player.
======================
Japan's top players on the world stage, there is only ONE penhold player - Yoshida Kaii.
-----------------------------------------
Yet, look at other tables in the video, there are quite a few penhold players.

mickd, thanks for sharing the video.

Edited by skip3119 - 12/23/2016 at 1:17pm
skip3119
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 3:56pm
Thanks. It is a pleasure to watch the old Japanese style. This guy probably started playing when Shigeo Ito, Mitsuru Kohno and later Seiji Ono dominated table tennis at international level.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 12/23/2016 at 3:57pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2016 at 8:40pm

You're welcome, JacekGM. I have a lot of videos of long pips backhanders. Probably about 30% of the middle school girls use it because it's extremely effective at their level of play. A lot less boys use it. Short pips are a lot less common here, especially short pip forehanders.
I'll see what I can dig up when I have more time. I still have to find some more videos of pen holders, too!

Oh, mickd, I am not a girl... I am 50+ man. I am using pips mainly because a few years back I had a "rotator cuff" condition in my playing shoulder that, even after it healed, basically eliminated my BH loop, which BTW has never been good before that happened anyways.
Still, watching LP shakehand play from real-life players is always of interest to me. You are providing us with lots interesting penhold player examples. I bet you can find some SH players, too.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2016 at 9:08am
The old master plays at ~ 2250-2300 level.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 5:52am
You're welcome, everyone! As long as people are interested in seeing the matches, I'll keep posting :)

I wish I could see the penholder play when he was young. A lot of people in this area have a lot of respect for him. He also organises a lot of the tournaments in this prefecture.

@JacekGM I know you're not a girl :) I just wanted to mention that a lot of middle school females use long pimples, and since I'm active at a table tennis club for middle school students, I end up having a lot more videos from that age group.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 7:23am
Me playing the young guy in the video in the OP. Even toying around he can beat me easily :) It was a fun match!

I screwed up the points and serve once, but it was just a friendly match, anyway! Oops!!

Edited by mickd - 12/25/2016 at 7:25am
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 12:51am
Been awhile since I've posted in this thread! Here is a short clip of a doubles game from a recent tournament I went to.

Old vs Young!

The old guys are 52 and 59 years old. I don't know about the young ones. Probably early 20s. This was all I was able to record. I only cut out the time between points. The young guy does a nice backhand at 1:19, and the girl had a big forehand winner at 1:01 and 1:51.

Sorry it's only about 1 set.

Edited by mickd - 04/04/2017 at 12:53am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 5:18am
nice
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2017 at 7:03am
Yeah, the older guy's (with less hair) daughter played Ishikawa Kasumi in the top 8 and lost in the recent All Japan tournament.

This was all I could find on youtube.

PierreAd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PierreAd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2017 at 9:39am

Been awhile since I've posted in this thread! Here is a short clip of a doubles game from a recent tournament I went to.

Old vs Young!

The old guys are 52 and 59 years old. I don't know about the young ones. Probably early 20s. This was all I was able to record. I only cut out the time between points. The young guy does a nice backhand at 1:19, and the girl had a big forehand winner at 1:01 and 1:51.
Nice, thanks a lot for sharing. Three penholders out of 4 players, that's pretty unusual for me... that's more than all the penholders playing in my area in France haha Smile Thanks again and do not hesitate to share again, it's always a pleasure !
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 12:15am
No problem! There are a lot of penholders over here; usually the older generation. Though in that particular game, the oldest person was actually the only one using the shakehand grip.

Here is another video of old vs young. I don't remember their exact ages, but the young guy is about 24 and the old guy is about 63. The old guy uses long pimples on the red side.

Unfortunately, some of the match is missing due to data corruption on my hdd (I've replaced it now).

One one of the points the old guy actually did a cartwheel to return the ball, and won the point. He was out of my camera's range and because of the data corruption, I'm not sure if it was one of the points that got lost. But I think it might have been the one at 3:31. I just remember thinking the young girl laughed after he missed.

Enjoy!

Edited by mickd - 04/10/2017 at 12:22am
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 8:57am
Hey all. It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread!

This is from a local beginners only tournament this week.

Everyone sitting in the picture below is competing!

There are 2 categories. 7th graders and 8th graders. Boys and girls compete separately.

There is a condition though. For 7th graders, they must have been playing table tennis for less than a year. For 8th graders, less than two years. Also, previous top 4 winners can't compete in the following year.

This is some of the girls' finals for the 7th graders (playing less than a year):

And this is some of the boy's semi finals for the 8th graders (playing less than 2 years):

Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: Oh, I should probably mention this, too! Nearly all of the participants would have started playing only 4 months ago (when the school year starts and they join a school club). That said, the ones in the semi finals or higher probably started a little before that.

Edited by mickd - 08/14/2017 at 9:01am
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 9:23am
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread! Last weekend I went to a small tournament (maybe about 100 players total) all from the local area.

This year there were 2 little kids playing in the same group as me. They are brother and sister. I'm usually pretty good with kids (it's part of my everyday job) so I got along with them quite well. They were very good players!!

A bit about them. The girl is 8 and the boy is 9. They both started playing 4 years ago. 2 years ago the girl came top 32 in the All Japan Bambi Division Competition (up to year 2). Her brother also went but didn't make it to the main round in the Cub Division (up to year 4), tho he was still in year 3 then.

By chance I ended up playing against the girl. It was a very fun match! Here is a short version of the match. Some random highlights plus the last set. At the start of the last set I played a little more serious though (because I still didn't want to lose hehe).

There were some really nice rallies from her! At one point she even rallied against me from mid distance. I was really impressed! I hope you enjoy!

I also have a video of her versing a fellow club mate in his late 70s. That was also a good match so once I edit the video I'll post it here too!

And I have a video of her brother versing another club mate in his late 70s too. That was also a really good match! :) So look forward to them!

Edited by mickd - 06/22/2018 at 1:03pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 10:15pm
About 70 years difference between the two in age. I forgot how old he was exactly, but I think he was 78, plus or minus a year.

The older guys plays a lot more angles. He uses short pips on his forehand and has long pips on his backhand, but he doesn't really use it (traditional Jpen style of play).

Enjoy!

Edited by mickd - 06/22/2018 at 1:04pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 1:09pm
And here's the brother playing. I'm pretty sure his opponent was 79, and since he is 9, that's 70 years between them, too!

It even went to the final set deuce. Unfortunately, my camera was having overheating issues, so I missed the middle part of the match.

I hope I can play as well as these guys (the girl and the boy's opponent) when I'm in my late 70s...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 10:06pm
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. This was a match from late last year. I wanted to post it earlier but forgot all about it until recently. I really like this guy's style. Very strong strokes on both sides. I hope one day to play at that level.

I only recorded part of two of his matches. The first one was against one of my club mates (the pushblocker).

My average against the pushblocker is probably 6-7 points per set, occasionally taking sets. He got absolutely destroyed, though.

The second match was against someone I don't know. It was a higher level game. When I started to record it was already the 3rd set, with the set count being 1-1. I don't know how the pen long pips player took a set, but maybe the guy needed time to adjust. By chance I also played the pen long pips guy. I lost 3-11, 10-12, 3-11.

If you guys were to estimate, what rating would you think he would be? Something I'd love to aim for but might be forever out of my reach. Unfortunately those are the only videos I have of him playing. I'm probably between 1800-1900.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 10:57pm
Hi Mickd, the looper in the 1st video is not only a good player, he is also anatomically gifted in terms of speed and explosiveness. I don't think you train for that, he just got it with his genes. Look at the way he loops effortlessly, focusing every piece of energy into the stroke naturally without any waste, I understand what you really like in him, I am in awe too. I wish I can reach that seemingly effortless play (even older, the spirit can be applied, only slower...) that requires a complex combo of genetics and mindset to use them right for the ping pong thing. From that angle, Lin Gaoyuan comes to mind. Thank you for sharing.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2020 at 11:10pm

It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. This was a match from late last year. I wanted to post it earlier but forgot all about it until recently. I really like this guy's style. Very strong strokes on both sides. I hope one day to play at that level.

I only recorded part of two of his matches. The first one was against one of my club mates (the pushblocker).

My average against the pushblocker is probably 6-7 points per set, occasionally taking sets. He got absolutely destroyed, though.

The second match was against someone I don't know. It was a higher level game. When I started to record it was already the 3rd set, with the set count being 1-1. I don't know how the pen long pips player took a set, but maybe the guy needed time to adjust. By chance I also played the pen long pips guy. I lost 3-11, 10-12, 3-11.

If you guys were to estimate, what rating would you think he would be? Something I'd love to aim for but might be forever out of my reach. Unfortunately those are the only videos I have of him playing. I'm probably between 1800-1900.

Guy looks like a Kim Min Seok wannabe haha...he has very good use of the body and large flowing strokes. 

I would have thought you would be able to beat your clubmate...he doesn't have such a tricky game compared to the resident MyTT pushblocker lol... His serves ain't that tight and he doesn't have a good reverse serve to jam the chiquita. You just gotta play safer shots, simplify the game and attack the deep FH. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 12:26am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Hi Mickd, the looper in the 1st video is not only a good player, he is also anatomically gifted in terms of speed and explosiveness. I don't think you train for that, he just got it with his genes. Look at the way he loops effortlessly, focusing every piece of energy into the stroke naturally without any waste, I understand what you really like in him, I am in awe too. I wish I can reach that seemingly effortless play (even older, the spirit can be applied, only slower...) that requires a complex combo of genetics and mindset to use them right for the ping pong thing. From that angle, Lin Gaoyuan comes to mind. Thank you for sharing.

Haha yes stiltt, he is a very good player. It's the same player in the second video. He just changed between games!

I'll keep working on finding that feel to effortless looping. I will get it... someday!!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 12:31am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I would have thought you would be able to beat your clubmate...he doesn't have such a tricky game compared to the resident MyTT pushblocker lol... His serves ain't that tight and he doesn't have a good reverse serve to jam the chiquita. You just gotta play safer shots, simplify the game and attack the deep FH. 

Yeah. You'd think so but videos of those type of players are so deceiving... I think that looper is just completely outclassing him. The reason why I can't beat him is because I have no ability to finish the point. So many end up being extremely long rallies and he never misses returning any of my balls. He's not as good as pushblocker for sure, but pushblocker is a very high level player.

Also, I'm bad against that style. I do well against inverted players who play with spin.

I think the pushblocker in that first video plays at about low 2000. I've seen him win against some very good players (but this is just my opinion so don't attack on it haha).
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 6:45pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Incredibly impressive old guy. Who is he??   Perhaps, he may be some Japan native ping-pang super star in the past times of 1960's/   I like him so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic