FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

need help with counterloop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help with counterloop
    Posted: 05/04/2011 at 2:03pm
as the topic heading says, i'm having a bit of trouble with this shot right now (close to the table). i believe it's b/c i'm keeping the blade face too closed...the ball goes into the net. it's from a relatively fast loop...not loop drive (so about 75-80% loop). i feel like i have enough time to react to it, maybe i'm a bit late.

so its either a) blade face too closed. b)i'm too slow. and/or c) my wrist was too tense...

any ideas or suggestions?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Sponsored Links

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:00pm
Over-the-table counterloop, what the Chinese call the "quick carry." Isn't it just a very abbreviated looping motion, with less turn and swing? You still swing on edge from low to high to brush the ball, but more from the elbow and quite a bit less from the shoulder and upper arm. If this concept is correct (I'm executing the stroke this way) then it's just a matter of calibration and experience, like knowing how much to close the blade when blocking. Like you said, perhaps you're misjudging the actual amount of topspin on the incoming shot and your blade is too closed as a result.
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:18pm
This is a difficult ball for many players and one of the most advanced shots in the game. When counterspins go into the net (especially when close to the table), it usually means that your rackethead speed is too slow on contact with the ball and that you're hitting the ball too flatly.

I'm working on this myself at the moment and my goal is to make contact on top of the ball, get my wrist rotating through quickly on contact and to stay stiff and strong in my abdominal muscles whilst getting some rotation from my hips and shoulder. Watch Timo's forehand counterspin - this is one of the reasons he can match it with the Chinese!

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 05/04/2011 at 3:19pm
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:38pm
back away from the table, an over the table counterloop is basically a glorified block. If your are trying to outright counterloop you should still be swinging up with a more closed paddle face but a little off the table theres no need to stand right at the table when ure gonna need more time to get a full swing at it
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:49pm
It is common to find yourself having to counterspin close to the table as there often just isn't time to back off. The point of standing closer is so that you don't need to have a full swing at the ball. A full swing is a luxury the better you get.
iCanLoopHard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iCanLoopHard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:58pm
yea i was thinking maybe u swinging too hard. lessen up and focus on having good contact and hitting the table. adjust either u speed of ur stroke and/or open the paddle more. gotta find that easy median between the two
Sponsored by Sportscraft
US Rating 2004
MJ fh:to5 bh:t64
photino,klhs
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:25pm
some really good replies! thanks! yea....i can't back off the table delgado...never had time and if i did, i wouldn't be able to reach the ball even if i tried...the rallies are too fast paced for me to even consider it.

William (our resident expert) has probably hit the nail right on the head. my swing isn't fast enough. i am using the abbreviated swing motion (elbow and wrist snap) but i think it's just too closed. i'll try opening a bit and focusing more on a bit more up spin. maybe it's just the chinese rubber that makes it hard.....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:48pm
Smile And you'll HAVE to use an abbreviated swing motion as there just won't be time for a long swing. Of course I don't know how your rubbers and rackets feel like but I'd be cautious about opening your racket angle too much. Controlling a counterspin with an open racket angle is extremely difficult.

It's funny - I was having this exact conversation with the coach here at the academy, Ricard Prause, today. I'm only here for a week and we were going through a list of things I am to work with over the next few months until I come back in September.

He summed it up so well - as long as I'm hitting with a flat contact on the counterspin, I am always going to feel that my rubbers are crap, that I'm not getting enough lift on the ball and that my shots are going into the net.

He said that Ma Lin was the real master at rotating his wrist through on contact when counterspinning but that Timo's (he coached Timo every match for a number of years) ability to do this as well was one of the main reasons he kept up with the Chinese in loop loop and counterspinning. He said the Chinese were so surprised that Timo could counterspin so well on his forehand and that his very strong ab muscles and wrist rotation were the keys. Just make sure your racket head speed is high too and that you are hitting on the top of the ball.

The key about having strong, stable abs contracting at exactly the same time as your wrist rotates through on contact is for recovery after each shot. He likened counterspinning without tense, strong abs to a flat bicycle tire tube being twisted. So guess what I'll be doing for the next few months...

The guy really is a genius and I'm learning so much every day here!

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 05/04/2011 at 4:49pm
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:58pm
soak it all up and teach me!!!! i know for sure that i don't do the abdominal twist with the shot. maybe a little side lean but that's it. it's just so hard focusing on spinning the ball when it's coming at you so fast....hopefully i'll get the hang of it over time.

ps: i'm now having trouble receiving pure sidespin (or side/top) serve (bh serve) with my bh. i can't seem to get on top of it enough to make it stay on the table. i try to do a short bh counterloop (not a block) and it goes past the table....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by ttEDGE - William ttEDGE - William wrote:

...The key about having strong, stable abs contracting at exactly the same time as your wrist rotates through on contact is for recovery after each shot. He likened counterspinning without tense, strong abs to a flat bicycle tire tube being twisted.

The ab contraction braces against the swing, stops the stroke quickly to allow for a fast recovery, not contribute power to the stroke, correct? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 2:26am
It's important to try to get rotation from the hip to start the start. This forwards movement/acceleration will make it much easier for your upper body, arm and racket to gain the necessary speed than if you try to just bring your arm through.

The ab contraction is for recovery yes!
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 2:47am
a stable core is important in tt. The adjustment i made was to hit the side of the ball. I was also having trouble with this shot and stumbled upon this article. After I made this adjustment, my close to table counterlooping percentage when up tremendously. Once, you read the article(the ball spin part) it makes sense. It's physics, attacking the ball head on where most of the spin is present is very difficult. Instead moving towards the side/axis where there is less spin, will give you much more leeway. Before counterlooping closetotable heavy spin openers was 2/10. Now it's more like 7/10. countering blocks was like 6/10, now it's more like 8/10
http://www.tabletennis.gr/chinese-forehand-foreward-loop-guide.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 7:58am
I agree with most of the article (which is very insightful) but have a different view in some areas. For instance, the racket angle needs to be constantly adjusted depending on the height, spin, dip, etc of your opponent's topspin as well as your distance from the table. Blindly using a 80% - 90% angle is just not optimal. A part of the reason for using your wrist to rotate over the ball on contact is so that you don't NEED to have an open racket angle.

There are also definite advantages to be gained by being able to vary your racket angle to generate different amounts of dip on your shot. For instance a more open racket angle will produce a higher throw over the net and a more closed angle will produce a lower through. Sure it's tough to get to the level that you are able to think about this (instead of just trying to get it back!!) but it's worth keeping in mind for players of all levels.

One thing that really struck me while watching the Chinese practice here is how early they try to take the ball when counterspinning ie always out in front of their bodies. As soon as they let the ball come too close they are forced to open their racket faces and have more upwards movement on their shots which then makes body position and recovery more difficult.
vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 8:15am

One thing that really struck me while watching the Chinese practice here is how early they try to take the ball when counterspinning ie always out in front of their bodies. As soon as they let the ball come too close they are forced to open their racket faces and have more upwards movement on their shots which then makes body position and recovery more difficult.

Yeap, I noticed that too, especially looking at Zhang Jike.
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 8:33am
I used to have 2 problems: ball went into the net or behind the table. I solved it the way I stopped brushing the ball, because I had hard time to catch the right timing and adjust the blade angle. Instead of brushing and trying to overspin the incoming topspin, I added forward speed of my arm, more like loop driving. it is much more secure.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

...The key about having strong, stable abs contracting at exactly the same time as your wrist rotates through on contact is for recovery after each shot. He likened counterspinning without tense, strong abs to a flat bicycle tire tube being twisted.

The ab contraction braces against the swing, stops the stroke quickly to allow for a fast recovery, not contribute power to the stroke, correct? Thanks.

I have multiball sessions and there is a wall less than 2 meters behind the table, which makes me stay pretty close to the table, which makes me have to loop/recover/loop pretty quickly. Sometime shortly after coach started upping the pace of the blocks and I gained more consistancy, I noticed the day after the lesson that my abs felt like they were really worn out, like I did several sets of 100 situps. That made little sense to me at the time as I have a pretty strong core, but now, that explaination makes a lot of sense to that situation.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 1:03pm
Well I guess that means you are doing a pretty good already. Focus on this next time you're working with your coach and feel to see which of the muscles are working.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 1:19pm
that's true! i did that once and felt like my abs were on fire! i thought it was because of the follow through...not the recovery!

i learn something new all the time =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 8:58pm
William, how about a short explaination on how the grip affects the shot, like the type of grip, grip changes, and how tight/loose the grip? Sorry to sound like I am bugging you (American expression for bothering), but is how you learn quicker, especially with languages. (Which I bet you also picked up a few over the years)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2011 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I have multiball sessions and there is a wall less than 2 meters behind the table, which makes me stay pretty close to the table, which makes me have to loop/recover/loop pretty quickly. Sometime shortly after coach started upping the pace of the blocks and I gained more consistancy, I noticed the day after the lesson that my abs felt like they were really worn out, like I did several sets of 100 situps. That made little sense to me at the time as I have a pretty strong core, but now, that explaination makes a lot of sense to that situation.

I'm impressed by how quickly the pros can execute FH loops, one after another, when they're warming up. This is especially evident in the way the Chinese pros warm up. Even with their relatively extended arm configuration, they're able to swing, reset, and swing again with amazing speed. This is only possible by controlling the upper torso and arm with the core --- hips, lower back, and the abs, while bracing the core movements against the legs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 3:21pm
@BH - this is a really enormous question to answer! But in general the counterspin will be difficult if the wrist and grip are not relaxed enough to be able to rotate over the top of the ball on contact. I think backhand dominated players (I would be one of these) who play with backhand favoured grips can struggle a bit with this in high speed rallies. The wrist is not as mobile for FH counterspins when in the backhand grip position.

Another problem many players face (and which I'm guilty of too) is that we drop the racket head too far down at the beginning of the forehand counterspinning instead of keeping it high (maybe shoulder height or similar) and adjusting the height of the rest of the body to compensate for the height of the opponent's shots.

Defplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Defplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 3:51pm
Hey William, Thumbs up for going out of your way for helping and providing insight (Chinese practice etc) to everyone in this forum ! 
Modern Defence Specialist !!!

BTY Matsush*ta Pro Model
FH - Tenergy 64 2.1     
BH - Feint long 2 (0.5)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic