Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need to find a new backhand for violin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to find a new backhand for violin
    Posted: 04/25/2019 at 7:32am
Hi

I've been playing with a nittaku violin, a fastarc-G1 on FH and rakza 7 on BH. I mostly loop with FH and I flick, push and drive with BH
During yesterday session my coach tried my bat and I used his, he uses an off+ blade and softer rubbers ( an acuda S2 on BH) while my blade is more flexible with hard rubbers. 
So I noticed that I had a way easier time playing my backhand( flicks on serve,loops,and drives) and throughout the season I saw myself missing a lot of backhands shots with my own bat ( I still gained 3 rankings nonetheless). 
On the other hand I hated his forehand because I didn't feel the ball as much as I did with my fastarc-G1 and I use a big swing for forehand.
Unfortunately I cant do the same with the rakza on my backhand I often go off the table and I don't dare using bigger swings because my technique is not there yet. I also tried using the G-1 on BH but it's about the same.

Coming back on the main topic I'm looking for a BH rubber that would be softer (but still go well with violin) and have a lower throw angle with a little more dwell and less speed

I've already search a little and here are some rubbers that I think could do it: 

-Donic acuda S2

- yasaka rakza 7 soft ( not sure of that one since it seems to have about the same throw angle and speed as R7)

-xiom vega europe

- yasaka mark V

-friendship focus 3 snipe ( need feedback on durability as I use rubbers for 1 year)

-Nittaku hammond pro beta 

Tell me what you think of it pls and if you have other rubbers do not hesitate to recommand them to me

Edited by max vdh - 04/25/2019 at 12:17pm
Sponsored Links

trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 4:24pm
Perhaps consider something like Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43 or Rasanter R42
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 4:59pm
I considered R42 as well. However it seems to have around the same speed and throw angle as rakza 7 and I can only get it in 1.7 mm which seems too thin for loop play and 2.0 mm which might be too thick and fast for me to handle since I'm coming from 1.8 mm thickness.
As for the gewo nexus I think it might be a good fit. However there doesn't seem to be a lot of informations on it. Do you know how it compares to rakza 7 in terms of throw angle, speed and control ? 

Both of these rubbers have a sponge hardness between 40° and 43 ° which matches with what I'm looking for.
Thank you for your input.
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 9:21pm
The Gewo and the Andro Rasanter are from the newer generation of thin topsheet rubbers.  I have not tried Rakza 7, but I am playing on both Rozena and Fastarc G-1 and I think you shouldn't have much trouble adapting to Nexxus EL 43.  Also, note that these newer rubbers feel a bit on the softer side until you really engage the sponge, since the thin topsheet doesn't offer much resistance to the ball.

Throw angle is hard to compare, but seems a bit lower than Fastarc G-1 and similar to Rozena.

It doesn't cost much to try a sheet of NexXus EL 43 in 2.0mm thickness.  I played with that for 5 months and enjoyed it, and I'm a devloping player.

Edited by trumpet_guy - 04/25/2019 at 9:23pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 10:38pm
Hey Max, Acuda S3, Vega Pro, Karis M, or Aurus soft are 4 of a million possible options for a growing BH stroke.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 11:46pm
Aurus soft should be similar to rakza 7 soft but but with a bit more control. You can seriously consider this as a good option. Else vega euro also is a viable option. So yeah, like the poster above mentioned, there really are plenty of good options for you to choose from, but I would stay away from the new gen thin topsheet stuff until you develop your stroke more. 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 2:00am
I have used violin since 2013, my backhand is my stronger wing, right now using t80 on backhand and is working very nice. Violin neeeds medium  or medium-hard rubbers. 
I suggest you nittaku fastarc s1 it is like a tamed t64, low throw insensitive to spin very very durable, but only black rubber. 
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 3:26am
fastarc c-1
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2019 at 7:30am
thank you all for your help.

I should precise that I use my backhand mostly for flicking, pushing and I loop/drive mostly close to the table or mid distance at most so I don't need a high arc (which the violin should provide on its own) nor speed. I also serve about 70% of the time with my backhand. Other than that I am still a FH dominant player I have a rating of 1200 and aim to go to 1400-1500 by the end of next season ( I was at 850 at the beginning of this season).

With everyone's input I was able to narrow my choice to 4 rubbers : 

-Xiom Vega europe: from what I've seen people are saying this is a really soft rubber however Xiom indicates it has a 42,5° sponge hardness so it should work in theory but it still riddles me.
Other than that it seems rather consistent and leaning towards what I'm looking for.

-Nittaku hammond pro beta: it does seem to have a really low throw angle ( even lower than others) so if anyone has played it do you know if I could still loop heavy backspin ( knowing I loop mostly close to the table and mid distance) ? 

-Donic acuda S2 : seemed reliable enough but I'm still weighting other options. 

Fastarc S-1 : looks like it would suit my game but there seems to be some quality control issues from what I've seen on this site

Thank you in advance for your prolonged help ! 

Edited by max vdh - 04/26/2019 at 8:09am
max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2019 at 7:59am
Bump :)

Anybody who has played with any of these rubbers ? 
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by max vdh max vdh wrote:

Bump :)

Anybody who has played with any of these rubbers ? 

I'm a bit reluctant in giving advice in these kind of threads but here goes my 2 cents.

Just switched after a season with an off- blade (so similarish to violin) to a TBS (which I had used before). Backhand rubber was FXS on the off -, now I've switched back to Acuda S2 on the TBS and my backhand has improved tremendously. (However, lots of coaching has been going into it continuously as well.) 

Try Acuda S2 is what I would say, can't go wrong with it really but in the long run a slightly faster blade is probably what will make your backhand feel a bit better.

max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2019 at 9:16am
Thank you
I bought the blade last season so I still want to go with it for at least 2 more years (especially considering the price).

I'll probably have a go again with the acuda next wednesday and ask the coach,he'll probably second your 2 cents ;) 

max vdh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max vdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2019 at 3:15pm
Update 

The Victas V 01 > Limber seems to be an interesting choice.
Is anyone familiar with this rubber ? 

Edited by max vdh - 04/27/2019 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic