Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New USATT ranking system pilot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dewnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dewnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New USATT ranking system pilot
    Posted: 02/04/2024 at 9:09am
https://www.usatt.org/news/2024/january/30/introducing-usa-table-tennis-s-new-ranking-system-pilot

Will consist of points accumulated over the past 24 months, with older points expired. Varying weights will be given to results in the different types of tournaments, with the greatest ones on US Open, US Nationals, National Team Trials. This will apply to junior & senior age groups too.
Right now, 2 2300 players are in the top 10 men’s and Kou Lei is #49. I’m sure that will get corrected with more results, like when ITTF introduced a new ranking system a few years ago. I see that lots of points were gained through Regional Championships. Non-US citizens can’t get any points from US Nationals or Team Trials (by being ineligible to participate) but I believe can from regionals.
Results at state championships and tournaments at Top 10 clubs (I’ve always seen Westchester at #1) are also considered. For the latter, I’ve seen mainly just Open Singles and not gender-separated events, so I wonder how that and cross-gender matches (man vs woman or boy vs girl) will be factored.

I don’t know yet what the practical impacts will be. Maybe it’s an effort to get more participation at USATT-run tournaments.

Edited by dewnyc - 02/04/2024 at 9:50am
Sponsored Links

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2024 at 11:17am
It would be a way to more accurately judge current playing level IF players played in a bunch of USATT tournaments. But, as you pointed out, many of these tournaments exclude a large block of our best players. So it looks like the main benefit will be a participation bonus by better seeding for the eligible players.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2024 at 1:02pm
I'm afraid it's just an attempt to get more participation in USATT events.  Players who live in rural areas or states with no, or very few tournaments won't be ranked.  By designating 10 favored clubs or tournaments, clubs not listed will be considered second rate clubs.  State and regional championships have failed in the past, so this is a way to force players who are concerned about their ranking to participate in those events.  This may be an effort to start the process of eliminating the current rating system. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2024 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I'm afraid it's just an attempt to get more participation in USATT events.  Players who live in rural areas or states with no, or very few tournaments won't be ranked.  By designating 10 favored clubs or tournaments, clubs not listed will be considered second rate clubs.  State and regional championships have failed in the past, so this is a way to force players who are concerned about their ranking to participate in those events.  This may be an effort to start the process of eliminating the current rating system. 

If that's 'just an attempt to increase participation in USATT' events, then it's not the worst way to go about that.  I also suspect the main goal is to increase participation of top athletes, as suddenly Nationals/USOpen/Regionals start to matter more.

I also don't expect current rating system to go away - there is a difference between ratings and rankings, as they serve different purposes and don't have to be identical. You CAN rank by rating (which kind of what happens today), but you don't have to.

And I'm much more interested in my rating Big smile, and don't really care about my ranking (which should matter only  to top athletes IMHO).
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic