FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

OMNIPONG: Software for Tournaments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OMNIPONG: Software for Tournaments
    Posted: 08/29/2013 at 2:10pm
Omnipong is a web based tournament manager that is going steps ahead to help tournament directors and competitors: http://www.omnipong.com.

It allows processing results and reporting them to USATT in a much quicker way while competitors can enter events in the area of the portal dedicated to them without mailing nor emailing anything.

Omnipong has been mentioned a few times in the past but we never had a formal discussion about it and the fact forum members Alphapong and CKrum recently put light on it in the 2013 LA Open thread encouraged the present one. Also another thread related to a local tourney announcement contained a mini discussion about it and the posts below surrounded with 2 red lines are moved from there.

The same Sunday 9/1/2013 as the LA Open was not even over we were in awe watching results published in real time as the competition was still going. Sunday night we had it all! Alphapong rightly said "CKrum is the man!" and for sure it's our pride to have him joining the forum and teach us about the software.

Welcome CKrum and thank you for bringing Omnipong to the TT community.

PS: I moved an additional post from that tourney announcement thread to edit it into this one so it appears at the top.
("I know somebody who's going down Big smile.")

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 1:04pm

Right now were the only two entries. looks like we will meet in the finals of all the events we entered. Lol. You might as well enter the open singles to.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 1:15pm
I received the email from Jerry; most players will enter the tourney emailing their entry via the pdf form he sends out: uploads/17211/2013BellevueFallOpen.pdf
I stopped doing it that way because the omnipong solution is so convenient and elegant.

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 1:22pm
I have not seen the back scene of omnipong where tournament directors do their thing; I wonder what are the tools helping them to report the matches to usatt; hopefully one day everybody uses ominpong and rating on usatt website are updated no later than the Thursday following the tourney.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 1:50pm
All the results are entered into the omnipong program. There's even a box to check wether you want the results sent in to the USATT. Jerry sends the results electronically the day after the tournament ends. The delay in getting the ratings processed is that the tournament report has to be sent via regular mail. Nothing gets processed till they get that report.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 2:03pm
by regular mail you mean a physical envelope containing the tournament report printed on paper? if yes it sounds so archaic.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:43pm
If I am not mistaken, the tournament report includes a check for payment of all fees due to the USATT.  Nothing gets processed until the check gets there.  I do not think there is a way to pay electronically. 
If I am wrong, I would like to know about ways to speed up the process.

Mark
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:49pm
Yes good old Pony express mail. The report consist of the players list, match slips of all matches, Membership renewals and new members joined, Money from renewals and rating fees, and last but not least but the most important of all is the signed waiver releases of all the players saying they wont sue the usatt if they get a boo boo while their playing. Pretty much hasn't changed since I used to run the tournaments in Seattle back in the late 80's.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:50pm
now I get it; their  "* missing tournament report only" really means "we did not cash our check yet"...

thanks for the info.

usatt accepts paypal for memberships so it should not be a problem for them to allow tournament directors to pay the fees that way.

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If I am not mistaken, the tournament report includes a check for payment of all fees due to the USATT.  Nothing gets processed until the check gets there.  I do not think there is a way to pay electronically. 
If I am wrong, I would like to know about ways to speed up the process.

Mark
They could set up a pay pal account for payment to take care of that part. You are right thou. Nothing get processed till the money and ALL the signed waivers of liability get there.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 4:03pm

http://216.119.100.169/membership/paypal-membership.shtml
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/USATT/Join-Today (paypal link at the bottom)

a little buried on the site (NGB menu on the top right) but well in place.

I wonder if usatt would be legally protected with the scans of the waivers and other documents all assembled into a pdf file.

CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 11:47am
Hi there. Sorry I am a bit late to the party, but I just noticed this thread. Thought I would give a quick description of how OmniPong handles things for the USATT, which seems to be the area that really slows down tournament processing. Since I am a bit of a procrastinator myself, I added in features that would take care of all of that stuff automatically.

After a tournament is finished, and the results have been uploaded from the Control Desk back to the website, OmniPong can create and submit electronically, everything that is required to get a tournament processed. This includes the following items:

- The Results File, which is sent to NATT for processing.

- The Tournament Report, which recaps the memberships that were sold, along with the $7 processing fee for each player. This report shows the total that needs to be paid to USATT, as well as the 15% membership discount that the club gets to keep.

- The Player List, which lists each player that participated in the tournament. I think this is to cross check against the Tournament Report.

- The USATT copy of the Membership Applications. These also need to match up with the Tournament Report.

- And last, but certainly not least, it can make the payment directly to the USATT using their PayPal account. You can also have a credit card on file with them, and have them charge that for the fees.

The original waiver forms do need to be mailed to them, but as long as they have everything else, they will not hold up the processing of a tournament waiting for them, so they can be sent regular mail.

This system allowed me to send everything in for the LA Open on the Tuesday following the tournament. It was actually ready on Monday, but I wanted to check on one result that I knew had to be wrong (and it was).

CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 11:54am
Here is a screen shot from the LA Open, showing the menu for the USATT functions, and how the PDF of the Tournament Report looks.

uploads/26525/USATT_Tools.pdf
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 1:40pm
Thank you so much for the valuable information; as a fan of the site and always wishing like many usatt members to see the records updated on their page as quickly as possible, I wish usatt folks encourage tournament directors to use omnipong as their favorite tool to process tournament results and report them.
If there are no objections I will create a thread dedicated to omnipong and move to it the related posts in this one.
CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 2:20pm
Hi fatt,

Thanks for the support. It might good to start an omnipong thread, to keep it more organized.

Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 2:47pm
done.

stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 1:58am
Originally posted by CKrum CKrum wrote:

This system allowed me to send everything in for the LA Open on the Tuesday following the tournament. It was actually ready on Monday, but I wanted to check on one result that I knew had to be wrong (and it was).
If a tournament director sends everything on the Monday following the event (we assume nothing's missing and the competition happened during the weekend), what are the chances ratings get adjusted on USATT's website the following Thursday? (I do not remember if in the case of the latest LA Open the results were published on the 5th or the 12th).

frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 2:27am
The ratings for the LA Open came out the following thursday Sept. 5th.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 2:41am
4 days after the tourney: totally breathtaking!
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 7:11pm
I would not expect Omnipong to give random people access to the Tournament Directors' tools; my question are:
What are the credentials Omnipong requires to give people the tools to manage USATT sanctioned tournaments? or would the direction of one successful USATT sanctioned tournament and the related records be enough for somebody to be welcome to use those tools?
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by CKrum CKrum wrote:

If a tournament director sends everything on the Monday following the event (we assume nothing's missing and the competition happened during the weekend), what are the chances ratings get adjusted on USATT's website the following Thursday? (I do not remember if in the case of the latest LA Open the results were published on the 5th or the 12th).

The odds would be pretty good.  My results sometimes get processed within a week when I send them in via regular mail. 

I'm curious how Craig gets the membership forms to them.  I'm assuming that he scans them in.

I believe Len in Hawaii scans in all necessary forms, pays electronically, and has everything to USATT/NATT the night of the tournament.  You can do it if you are willing to go to the trouble.  Personally, I've not been willing to go through the extra effort.  After spending the time getting everything ready, two days running the thing, posting results on Facebook and the club website (something I'd need to continue to do even if I used OmniPong), quite frankly I'm not inclined to add one more chore to my list on Sunday night that people can have their ratings in four days instead of 11 days.  Perhaps if more players volunteered to help run things I'd be more inclined.  :^)  But frankly, what's the rush with getting your new rating?  Seriously.  I don't really get it.  I understand the complaints when a month or so passes but not really 11 days.

That said, if using Omnipong allowed me to do that with no extra work, I'd have no problem doing it. Craig sent me the software almost two years ago, but that was when I was just starting to run tournaments and didn't have my head fully around the process.  So I chose to copy the "tried and true" method used by those before me.  But now that I have more experience and now that Craig has refined the software even further, I'm inclined to take another look.  It really does seem to be an excellent system and I really like the real-time reporting of results.

Edited by wturber - 09/15/2013 at 7:35pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 7:54pm
Will the readers of the facebook account and club's website upset when they figure they need an extra click to see the results in omnipong?

The way I understood it we do it once in omnipong and then we can link to it wherever we want, even while the tourney is ongoing; I remember when alphapong posted that link, all events were not over yet but we could see some results already entered.

What I do not remember is whether the software builds a pdf on the fly or not when we click on one event; can we have empty slots as the server builds a pdf with the partial results it has at the moment in the middle of the event? anyway I am being borderline nitpicking here, just wondering.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 8:57pm

Will the readers of the facebook account and club's website upset when they figure they need an extra click to see the results in omnipong?

The Phoenix Club has the record of all their tournaments online for at least the past ten years.  It would seem a shame not to continue that.

My main purpose of having a Facebook page is to provide an avenue to promote our tournaments and to get more people paying attention to them.  The whole "like" & "share" thing provides (at least I hope it does) an opportunity for tournament sponsors to get more exposure.  My goal is to use facebook to bring more sponsorship to our small  tournaments by showing them the exposure that they get that goes beyond just those people who attended the tournament and beyond the date of the tournament.  And frankly, I suspect that players like that their friends can comment and share photos of their photos.

The way I understood it we do it once in omnipong and then we can link to it wherever we want, even while the tourney is ongoing; I remember when alphapong posted that link, all events were not over yet but we could see some results already entered.

I like the idea of putting a link on Facebook to direct people to realtime results online on OmniPong.  That's more traffic for Facebook.  :^)  But I'll still have to post all the pictures manually and may want to post the results in text form manually as well once the tournament is over.
https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixTableTennisClub

What I do not remember is whether the software builds a pdf on the fly or not when we click on one event; can we have empty slots as the server builds a pdf with the partial results it has at the moment in the middle of the event? anyway I am being borderline nitpicking here, just wondering.

I think maybe you misunderstood my issue.  I pretty much have zero issues with OmniPong or what it does.  My issue is simply doing extra work just to get ratings turned updated in less than a week as opposed to 11 days. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 9:59pm
Got it.

In your 3rd quote I was not writing about your issue anymore. I was just interested in one of the features that might exist or not (pdf built on the fly with what's available).

What would the result of a vote be if you were asking all tourney competitors (whether they are members of you club or not) their preference between the 2 following options?
1) facebook/club website updated monday night and ratings updated 4 days later on usatt
2) facebook/club website updated right away, sunday night, and records updated 11 days later on usatt.

I know what would my answer be: "I was there Saturday and Sunday all day; I am recovering; I want to take a shower, get a massage from my wife and go to sleep; I don't need the pictures right away Sunday night".

You already made the decision: the sponsors are to be taken care of  first via the immediate fb/club website publications and that is not unfair.

----------------

to an omnipong specialist I would ask: if the data entries are quickly made after the end of the matches as the day(s) go(es), how long does it take to an organized person to wrap it all up and send all required information to usatt once the whole the tournament is over?

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 12:33am

1) facebook/club website updated monday night and ratings updated 4 days later on usatt
2) facebook/club website updated right away, sunday night, and records updated 11 days later on usatt.

If anybody asks me about getting ratings updated faster my answer will be simple.  Come back behind the desk and start pitching in.  :^)  As it is, I can't recall any player complaining to me.  I do have one board member who would like it to be faster - and he does pitch in - but so far never on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 12:36am

to an omnipong specialist I would ask: if the data entries are quickly made after the end of the matches as the day(s) go(es), how long does it take to an organized person to wrap it all up and send all required information to usatt once the whole the tournament is over?

For me the big question would be how are the membership forms and tournament report handled?  The "best" way would be if the forms are electronic to begin with. Then with Paypal, everything can be sent electronically before you leave the venue.  Scanning in forms would be second best and possibly OK if integrated well.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 12:50am
This only works for US tournaments?

Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000,Stiga Defence Pro
Rubbers: FH::Moristo SPax BH: Hurricane 3 Blue sponge, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 2:08am
Originally posted by gatz gatz wrote:

This only works for US tournaments?

I'm pretty sure a lot of it is geared toward U.S. tournaments.  Things like the ratings, automatic downloading of the current ratings and so forth. So you'd probably lose significant time-saving functions if used for non-U.S. tournaments.  But I'd think that there would still be a good chunk of the software that would be useable outside of the U.S. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 2:57pm
Hi Jay,

OmniPong does create PDF's of the membership applications electronically, based on the membership option that is selected for a player. It gets the rest of the information from the player's profile. It can handle all of the various possibilities for memberships, including waiving the fee for members of foreign associations, and when players have already paid at a recent tournament that hasn't been processed yet.

OmniPong will send the membership apps via email to USATT, along with the Player List, and the Tournament Report, which are also created electronically.  OminPong also generates the Player Copy and Club Copy of the membership applications.

Attached is a copy of how my membership application would appear, if I was buying a three year membership. This can be cut in thirds, and you can give the player their copy at the tournament, and keep the Club copy for your records.  The USATT copy is a hold over from when I used to mail them in.  It is now unnecessary, since OmniPong emails all of the membership apps to the USATT.

The biggest issue is getting players who sign up on line, to fill out their entire profile, so the membership app is complete. If a TD is getting entry forms by mail, they can update the player's profile from that. I am going to come up with a reminder email for players buying new memberships, if their profile is missing information.

Also attached is a copy of the Tournament Report that was created for the LA Open. This is what gets emailed to the USATT, along with the other items.

uploads/26525/Membership.pdf
uploads/26525/Tournament_Report.pdf

Edited by CKrum - 09/16/2013 at 6:43pm
CKrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CKrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 3:19pm
The USATT says they will process a tournament for the current week, if they receive everything by Wednesday.  If they receive it after Wednesday, it will be processed with the next week's batch.

The only time they might have to delay the processing on their end, is if they are involved in a large tournament, like the Nationals, or the Open.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic