Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outlaw + IQUL Combo : Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outlaw + IQUL Combo : Review
    Posted: 06/13/2009 at 4:57pm
Hi All,

Today I received a black Outlaw 2.2 and a red IQUL 2.3 mm 40 degree from Cole.
I was so excited that without even waiting for a minute I went to my club's coach to get them cut (I did not want to try my luck with these beauties at all).

My first impressions of Outlaw:-
A very nice Euro/Jap feel kind of a rubber out of the package. It transforms into a spin and speed demon once it goes onto the blade.
I really liked the amount of speed and spin i got out of this rubber. Especially the spin. My serves remained like mysteries to most of my club mates who are pretty used to my serves from Friendship 729-2. 
This rubber really gives you a lot of spin, as compared to Mark V and Friendship 729-2 rubber.
The speed segment is great but i would not call it outstanding. I have played with Tenergy 05 and i feel that Tenergy definitely has more speed. Tenergy 05 is more pumped up in the spin department too. But I guess a rubber that costly ought to perform that way.
Let me clarify this though that Outlaw isn't that far behind Tenergy. With this, i must express my extreme gratitude towards Mr. Cole Ely from www.colestt.com who had suggested me this rubber.
He is a very very nice man to do business with me. I belong to India, so he was supposed to ship the rubbers to india, which he did with such finesse. I received the rubbers in about 10 days flat.
For its amazing price, Outlaw is a definite must try product.
Now let me throw some light on its salient features:-
Short game is awesome.
The amount of spin produced is just too good. For serves also its a very good rubber, as it really spins the ball very hard.
The only negative i saw in Outlaw was the fact that it was a bit difficult to
lift the underspin balls. For the amount of speed and spin built into this rubber, i really thought that lifting underspin would have been a piece of cake with this rubber. But it wasn't. Infact, IMHO a Mark V is easier to topspin back an underspin ball.
It may be because of the lower throw of this rubber. I am not that technically sound to determine the exact reason behind this problem.
I am eagerly waiting for the new Gambler rubber. I don't know the name, but ITTF site shows some new gambler rubbers registered. I hope they have made something faster and spinnier than Outlaw. For the same price band, i would love to buy that piece of rubber.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 5:05pm
My first impressions of IQUL:-
I am still indecisive about the performance of IQUL. It sometimes made me feel like the king of the world and sometimes left me begging on the streets.
I guess, its about right contact with this rubber.

I am a looper on both the wings and hence i usually open long services with a quick spinny backhand loop.
This rubber gave me some trouble with opening strong side underspin serves.
I must clarify though that i can easily open those serves with rubbers like Donic Coppa JO Platin and Gold. Infact, i feel that all the tensors with built-in speed effect are capable enough of doing that with ease.
This again might be something related to the low throw of this rubber.
The spin on IQUL is good, but not as great as the Outlaw( I guess I am in love with Outlaw )
The spin on chops was decent enough. Infact, it was good enough to contain my opponents from looping long pushes back.
They were easily able to loop back my long pushes made by Mark V, but not by IQUL.
I guess, another factor in the above mentioned property could be the fact that my IQUL is still a bit tacky.

The speed of this rubber is good, but not that close to Bryce Fx as people suggest. Even this rubber lacks the ability to produce topspins on underspin balls with ease.
I tried moving this rubber to forehand and faced the same issue in lifting long underspin balls.
I can easily manage to lift a long underspin ball (from inverted rubbers) with rubbers like JO Platin, JO Gold, GKI Euro Chelonz (another Tensor made by ESN).
There is definitely no problem with my technique, as the best player at my club, who is a national level player, confirmed to my findings about these rubbers.

The speed of this rubber was good, close to mark V i would say. The spin was OK, may be a tad bit better than Mark V.

P.S. --> I am comparing both of these rubbers to mark V so extensively because Mark V happens to be the only rubber used by me for a very long period. I was a loyal and ardent fan of Mark V before i played the Outlaw.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
lu1648 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lu1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 5:27pm
i ordered both outlaw and IQ from cole too, but i haven't dare to use them yet because i don't feel like wasting them... they look so nice and all.
quick questions:
how would you compare the throw angle of the two rubbers?
would you use a low-throw or high-throw rubber on BH?
i'm still trying to decide whether i should use IQ or outlaw on my FH or BH... i have a sheet of 2.0 black outlaw and a sheet of 2.2 red outlaw and another 2.2 40 deg red IQ...
i'm currently using a very low-throw rubber on FH (i like it fine) and a terrible high-throw red palio tensor for BH that i'm not able to control... i am think of swapping out my red palio for one of the two... IQ or outlaw and use it as FH and use my current low-throw black rubber as BH... is that reasonable?
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the indepth review. Some mentioned IQUL needs a week or two break-in period. Maybe you should report back in a week or 2 any difference. I have been testing some BH rubbers myself. I normally play with each of them at least 2 weeks time and 4-8 sessions. Normally I make more mistakes in first 2 sessions (I guess I hadn't adjusted my technique from the previous rubber) and play better later. Eventually consistency ends up the same but different impressions for the rubbers (spin, speed, arc etc)
A monkey king waiting to capture tigers

Double happiness H301 (Penhold RPB style)

FH:Baracuda 2.0

BH:Baracuda 2.0

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 7:40pm
Hi anubhav1984,
     Thanks for your review. I think you will find lifting the chops is not the rubber but the different throw than you are used to. Outlaw does it all for me. I would give it some more time. Tremendous rubber for the price. Smile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 2:20am
Hi lu1648

I have IQUL on my BH. Compared to Outlaw, i felt, that IQUL has a lower throw and is surely more controllable on the BH side. It is an amazing rubber and can open any serves like a piece of cake for me. if you like pushing short with your backhand, i guess you better put IQUL on your BH side then.
Outlaw will take a lot of time to adjust if you put it on your BH. I would suggest that you get that 2.2 outlaw to your forehand. I haven't tried 2.0 but have heard that it is a tad bit slower to 2.2.

Hope this helps!
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 4:08am
is it outlaw grippy rubber?
i tried tacky rubber before but never like it. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 8:48am
mizutani_jun: Yups its a very grippy topsheet! Creates a lot of spin!
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
lu1648 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lu1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Hi lu1648

I have IQUL on my BH. Compared to Outlaw, i felt, that IQUL has a lower throw and is surely more controllable on the BH side. It is an amazing rubber and can open any serves like a piece of cake for me. if you like pushing short with your backhand, i guess you better put IQUL on your BH side then.
Outlaw will take a lot of time to adjust if you put it on your BH. I would suggest that you get that 2.2 outlaw to your forehand. I haven't tried 2.0 but have heard that it is a tad bit slower to 2.2.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for the tips.
can i ask u one more question?
which has more effect on how controllable a rubber is? the difference in hardness or the thickness of the rubber?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 10:02pm
I agree with anubhav here that Outlaw on FH and IQUL on BH is the right combination. Since Outlaw is a higher throw rubber (not a very high-throw but still higher than IQUL) it works good on slow topspins and generally in most FH-strokes. IQUL is better in blocks and flat hits which is what done mostly from BH. Of course you can do topspins with it as well, but on the BH the swing is usually not as long and strong as on FH.

As for the hardness question - generally the harder the rubber the less confident is control. However, if it is tacky and hard then it's a more complicated issue - many of the Hurricanes are pretty good in the short game. Therefore, it is rather individual and subjective question on what  change is better - in thickness or in hardness. My own experience tells me that going up one step in thickness usually loses a bit more control than going one step up in hardness.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 10:14pm
You guys really think IQUL is low throw? Compared to Sriver?

I mean, the throw seems more similar to Mark V than Sriver...
chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I see IQUL in your signature.  Do you also have experience playing with Outlaw? 
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 5:40pm
which is lighter,outlaw or regular inspirit?
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 8:22pm
I just ordered 2x 2.0 Gambler Outlaw based on these reviews. I will try on Donic Dicon and see how it works as a FH rubber. I will update with my thoughts on this rubber... I am kinda thinking maybe I should have gone 2.2
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 9:57pm

My first impressions of IQUL:-
I am still indecisive about the performance of IQUL. It sometimes made me feel like the king of the world and sometimes left me begging on the streets.
I guess, its about right contact with this rubber.

I am a looper on both the wings and hence i usually open long services with a quick spinny backhand loop.
This rubber gave me some trouble with opening strong side underspin serves.
I must clarify though that i can easily open those serves with rubbers like Donic Coppa JO Platin and Gold. Infact, i feel that all the tensors with built-in speed effect are capable enough of doing that with ease.
This again might be something related to the low throw of this rubber.
The spin on IQUL is good, but not as great as the Outlaw( I guess I am in love with Outlaw )
The spin on chops was decent enough. Infact, it was good enough to contain my opponents from looping long pushes back.
They were easily able to loop back my long pushes made by Mark V, but not by IQUL.
I guess, another factor in the above mentioned property could be the fact that my IQUL is still a bit tacky.

The speed of this rubber is good, but not that close to Bryce Fx as people suggest. Even this rubber lacks the ability to produce topspins on underspin balls with ease.
I tried moving this rubber to forehand and faced the same issue in lifting long underspin balls.
I can easily manage to lift a long underspin ball (from inverted rubbers) with rubbers like JO Platin, JO Gold, GKI Euro Chelonz (another Tensor made by ESN).
There is definitely no problem with my technique, as the best player at my club, who is a national level player, confirmed to my findings about these rubbers.

The speed of this rubber was good, close to mark V i would say. The spin was OK, may be a tad bit better than Mark V.

P.S. --> I am comparing both of these rubbers to mark V so extensively because Mark V happens to be the only rubber used by me for a very long period. I was a loyal and ardent fan of Mark V before i played the Outlaw.

If IQUL backspin loop is not as good as the tensor rubber, how do they compare in terms of speed? Any reasons you would recommend IQUL as a BH rubber over the tensor except the fact that it is cheaper? Thanks.

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

I just ordered 2x 2.0 Gambler Outlaw based on these reviews. I will try on Donic Dicon and see how it works as a FH rubber. I will update with my thoughts on this rubber... I am kinda thinking maybe I should have gone 2.2

Yeah i wanted to buy several sheets of 2.0mm from Cole and he advised that it that 2.2 would be better option. 2.0 plays too flat in his view.

Cole knows about this better then i do so i took his advice.

Can't wait to try out this Outlaw rubber!
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 10:52pm
I gotta try this outlaw now.. :(
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

You guys really think IQUL is low throw? Compared to Sriver?

I mean, the throw seems more similar to Mark V than Sriver...
Sriver seems higher to me. Not much though.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 4:21am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

Yeah i wanted to buy several sheets of 2.0mm from Cole and he advised that it that 2.2 would be better option. 2.0 plays too flat in his view.

Cole knows about this better then i do so i took his advice.

Can't wait to try out this Outlaw rubber!

Right after I ordered I emailed Cole and asked if he could make the black a 2.2mm hope he gets the email before he packs and ships his stuff Shocked
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 5:15am
Fingers crossed...

You know Cole he is fast and might have shipped it out already.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 6:02am
blackhole :-
Sorry for the delay in respose. I was a bit busy.

I have a pretty hard swing from the backhand side, more or less like Kalinikos Kreanga. So i do not need that much speed on the backhand side.
But then you would say that Kreanga uses BTY Bryce Speed , explain that.
My thought is that Kreanga uses Bryce Speed because he can control it. I simply cannot control that much speed.

As for lifting underspin balls, i guess this rubber does great for me because of my swing. It won't do much good to players who like to flick the short underspin balls with their backhand wrist movement only.
This rubber has a lower throw than tensors.
The speed is more or less equal to JO Gold, maybe.
The only reason why i cannot exactly tell the difference is because i use a very fast blade, LKT 9010. It is way too fast to determine whether the speed is coming from the blade or from the rubber.
But still my best bet is that this rubber has enough speed if you use it on a medium fast blade too.
I did not try it on a slow blade though. It might work as a good defensive combo due to its tackiness.

I would compare the speed of my setup (LKT 9010 + IQUL) to a Tenergy 05 on BTY M.Maze.
This is the only other closest combination i have ever tried.
But yeah, tenergy definitely has a bit more spin than this rubber. By a bit i mean only a bit ( if Tenergy = 10 then IQUL = 9.6 ).
But as we all know that Tenergy 05 has a very high throw, it is very very easy to lift underspin balls with it when you compare it to IQUL.

I would recommend IQUL to two class of players:-
1. Who have tremendous swing power on their Backhand wing,like Kreanga.
2. Who like controlled game from their backhand and occassionally hit a flat or two depending on the height of the ball and like to disturb their opponent with the spin they create on each stroke.

This rubber is very good for short game too, as compared to tenergy 05, which most people out here find difficult to control in a short game, when they move to it for the first time.
This rubber would not require that much of an adjustment at all.

In case you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 6:17am
Thanks for the info. I will be using IQUL as BH soon and see how it goes.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 7:25am
blackhole :- what is your style of play from backhand? Because if you love fast rubbers i would suggest you go for the 2.3 mm 40 deg UL version of IQUL.
In any case, do have a discussion with Cole first. He is a really nice guy and would help you a lot in deciding your rubber.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 7:39am

blackhole :- what is your style of play from backhand? Because if you love fast rubbers i would suggest you go for the 2.3 mm 40 deg UL version of IQUL.
In any case, do have a discussion with Cole first. He is a really nice guy and would help you a lot in deciding your rubber.

I use BH in RPB penhold style. Basically opening loop backspin, blocking speed is most important. I need the BH rubber to have good open loop ability, fast blocking, low throw, light weight. Pushing or over the table control is not a concern at all. RPB penholders don't use BH rubber for that. I already have a sheet of IQUL 40 deg in 2.0mm. I used for 3 weeks before then changed to use other rubbers for experiments.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 8:00am

so u din't like the 2.0 mm 40 deg version, did you?

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 8:25am

so u din't like the 2.0 mm 40 deg version, did you?

It was fast and feel a bit dead hard. Looping is OK. It was my 2nd BH rubber (1st is sriver EL) so I could not really compare much. That is why I tried other rubbers so I would have a benchmark. Hopefully this time I will have a better judgement.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 11:10am
Can you give your views on the Palio HK1997 39-41 that you have listed in your signature?

I got a sheet in black. Had some discoloration (white streaks) on the rubber but i think it just cosmetic. Sheet has a nice sheen and is grippy.

I recently put it on + IQ 2.0mm on an Andrzej Grubba. The click it makes it louder then my IQ.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 11:23am
Originally posted by chocolate chocolate wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I see IQUL in your signature.  Do you also have experience playing with Outlaw? 

Not much and not on my own blade. But I intend to buy one sheet - put it on my son's blade FH... his Sriver is getting really old...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
blackhole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 6:12pm

Can you give your views on the Palio HK1997 39-41 that you have listed in your signature?

I got a sheet in black. Had some discoloration (white streaks) on the rubber but i think it just cosmetic. Sheet has a nice sheen and is grippy.

I recently put it on + IQ 2.0mm on an Andrzej Grubba. The click it makes it louder then my IQ.

Interestingly my one got discoloration too. I thought I was unlucky to get a bad batch. I would not say it is great but I can't flaw it either. The main issue to me is it is too heavy. 179g is too much for a RPB penholder. If I changed to IQUL, it would be 174g in total. As far as I remember, IQUL seems to be faster and more powerful.

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2009 at 6:17pm

Fingers crossed...

You know Cole he is fast and might have shipped it out already.

Yeah, he emailed me right away and suggested I move them both to 2.2mm intimating that 2.2mm has much better playing with little drawbacks.
Looking forward to this rubber. I am wondering what blade to put it on. I have a Dicon (old version FL) and a YEO (ST) Any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic