Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ox pips onto sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dangigli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangigli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ox pips onto sponge
    Posted: 03/03/2019 at 3:54pm
Im looking to glue a sheet of ox long pips onto a sheet of dampening sponge.

Has anyone experience with doing this?
If so what is the best way?

Many Thanks. 
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 7:32pm
I think I glued the sponge to the blade first
then your normal methof gluing the ox on

My wife does it for me as after gluing the ox rubber she waits for it to de-prune
and the she does the paper method of gluing 20mms as a time and moving the paper upwards if you know what I mean
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:58am
I have tried this many times with several different methods and different glues. Bottom line.. it's just about impossible to duplicate a factory bond at home. Avoid any solvent-based glues that will deform (i.e. curl, bubble) either the top sheet or sponge. Even my best results, which iirc, were obtained with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, looked OK but didn't play as well as factory-bonded sponged LPs. In the end I gave up after ruining many sheets of 755 OX and a variety of different sponges.
BBC, SP, LP
dangigli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangigli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:24pm
Thank you guys 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by dangigli dangigli wrote:

Many Thanks. 

I do it all the time with rubber cement 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by dangigli dangigli wrote:

Many Thanks. 

+100Big smile
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 8:37pm

How do you deal with OX LP getting all wrinkly after interacting with rubber cement? Main reason I switched to glue sheets, but I guess these are not an option for attaching sponge.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

How do you deal with OX LP getting all wrinkly after interacting with rubber cement? Main reason I switched to glue sheets, but I guess these are not an option for attaching sponge.

At first I put a can on each corner to hold it down till it dried.  Now I just can do it. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 10:18am
In my experience (nowhere as extensive as cole's, btw!) rubber cement, which is solvent-based, causes both topsheet and sponge -- especially thinner sponges -- to bubble because the solvent causes the rubbers to deform. Sheets flatten out a bit as the solvent dries but they're never as flat as before the application of RC. This makes it difficult to get a complete bond without stretching the topsheet while attaching it, and difficult to get a bond that lacks creases and bubbles.

It's my belief that any inconsistencies across the striking surface of a paddle, be it uneven wood; uneven sponge density; and yes, uneven gluing between sponge and topsheet, all contribute to making a paddle produce unexpected and inconsistent results given the same stroke and incoming ball. The end result is that a rubber seems "hard to use" when, in fact, it's simply inconsistent due to material.

One thing is certain from my trials with rubber cement: Topsheets will soon separate from sponge in areas where fingers (or fingers + thumbs for Seemiller gripsters) repeatedly touch the LP sheet. This may not seem like an issue since the ball doesn't typically contact the LP that low on the blade, but it is an issue since it makes the rubber slip beneath one's finger, thus causing -- you guessed it -- an inconsistent grip.
BBC, SP, LP
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 4:51pm
hmmm I thought it was as easy or even easier glue ox onto sponges
I have a bat now with those illegible Dawei enlarged pips on a blue dampening sponge put on with speed glue 6 months ago
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic