Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Places to play in Zagreb, Croatia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alastair View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Places to play in Zagreb, Croatia
    Posted: 03/12/2019 at 1:43pm
Hello everyone,

I will travel to Zagreb in Croatia for the next 1-2 weeks and am looking for decent

table tennis clubs. My level is roughly 150 national ranking in the UK / 2000-2100 US level.

Any recommendations of places to play would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 2:07pm
The late and amazing Dragutin Surbek played there, I think for a venue called Vjesnik Club. It might stil exist, and if so is probably worth looking into.
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 2:13pm
 Mail on this adress: [email protected]
Mister Vunderl knows everything about tt in Zagreb
Look on this sites:
https://www.facebook.com/mladen.vunderl?ref=tn_tnmn

Edited by igorigor - 03/12/2019 at 2:14pm
Alastair View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 1:11pm
Thank you both very much. I will give them a try.
Alastair View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 1:44pm
@igorigor thanks again! I just contacted the person you recommended and within 5 minutes he offered to take me out for a beer tonight to watch football and will pick me up from my hotel tomorrow night and take me to play TT :)
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Alastair Alastair wrote:

@igorigor thanks again! I just contacted the person you recommended and within 5 minutes he offered to take me out for a beer tonight to watch football and will pick me up from my hotel tomorrow night and take me to play TT :)

Love it!
USATT: ~1950
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Alastair Alastair wrote:

Glad I was helpful
Alastair View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2019 at 6:08am
If anyone wants to play table tennis in the future in Zagreb (Croatia) I recommend a place called ARENA Prečko. They have 8 tables and conditions are quite good.

If you put the name in Google you will find it. It also shows up on Google maps so is quite easy to find. There is a tram stop about 3 minutes walk away. I don't speak a word of Croatian and managed to take the tram on my first day in Zagreb so I'm sure you can too!

The TT hall is on the 3rd floor of a shopping centre. The hall is busy most nights from Monday - Friday with matches until about 9pm so it's quite hard to get a table before then. So I recommend going at 8-9pm Monday - Friday then you should hopefully be able to play until 10-11pm. Alternatively try going at the weekend when there seem to be more free table. I went at 6pm on Saturday and there were free tables. Send me a PM if you want the e-mail address of the club Manager.

The story I mentioned above gets better by the way....

So the guy Igorigor above recommended I contact took my to the club two days ago and at the end of the night I played a decent player who is the club Manager who plays in the 1st division of the Zagreb amateur leagues. (They have 21 divisions in the amateur league in Zagreb!).

He was tired after working all day and a little injured and I played out my skin and managed to just beat him. So yesterday he invited his friend along who is probably the strongest player at the club and plays in the professional league in Zagreb! There are three professional leagues in Zagreb. Actually they call them professional leagues but all of the people have other jobs and some earn a small amount of money for playing so I guess strictly speaking they are semi-professional level. 

Anyway, the guy I played was very strong. He told me he is probably top 20 standard in Croatia. I would estimate he would be ranked about no. 10-15 in England (I guess 2300-2500 US level) I played quite well at the start but got tired very quickly. Unfortunately I didn't manage to even win one set out of 9 Cry but it was a great experience. 

Anyway, the club Manager invited me back again next week to play against another guy who is between his level and the pro player's level. Really friendly people and a good place to play TT in Zagreb. Sorry for the long post! hopefully this can be useful for anyone who visits Zagreb in the future and wishes to play the beautiful game Wink Thanks again to the members of this forum for your help Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic