Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Please help me pick my first good racket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wayne_TN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne_TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me pick my first good racket
    Posted: 07/07/2010 at 9:17pm
I used to play a lot and am getting back into the game after a several year layoff.  I live in a small town without a club or people to get advice from and want to get a good blade try to start working on my game again.  I like to hit topspin off both sides and at this point, am more interested in spin and control than blazing speed.  I looked through the Paddle Palace catalog for blades and rubber with good speed and control numbers.  What do you think of the combination below?  I realize I don't know much about the modern game and don't want to do something dumb.

Katsumi Basic blade - (speed/control = 86/78)
Rubber - Juic Shenron 2.0 on both sides  (speed/spin/control = 9.1/9.2/8.4)

thanks in advance.

Wayne_TN
Sponsored Links

Wayne_TN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne_TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 9:18pm
oops - forgot to say the racket is a Nittaku brand...

Wayne_TN
Half the world lives on less than $2 a day.
Make a loan, Make a difference - Kiva.org
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 9:48pm
don't worry, I know what brand that blade is from Wink

I, and probably a lot of others, would agree that the Paddle Palace catalog is horrible place to look at for a first setup.  Everything is just very vague numbers and flowery descriptions.

Try the Yasaka Extra or Stiga OC CR non-WRB (not available at paddlepalace) and some sort of Butterfly Sriver on both sides.  This is general a setup you can't go wrong with and will take you decently far.  Not to mention, it's a good price.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 11:56pm
I would entertain the idea of getting a chinese style rubber on the forehand and a euro style rubber with a relatively soft sponge on the backhand. The guys at zeropong.com are generally friendly and easy to talk to... and the equipment is much cheaper than paddlepalace.com which affords you a better opportunity to experiment with different style setups with out taking out a second mortgage. Something like 729 FX on the forehand and Sriver EL on the backhand with a OFF- blade would be a good start I think. 
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:08am
729 FX on the FH sounds great to me also. Cheap slow and good but still capable of playing to a very high level :). I wouldn't complain about Sriver El on the BH either. As for blades well I think you can do a lot better that the Stiga OC CR, it's really nothing special, rubbers are easy to recommend but blades are a bit more personal, With 729 FX I think a medium speed (OFF-) carbon or other composite blade is the go, that's the combo I used to use back in the day and it worked well. I actually used a faster blade than that, but that might be too much for you so it's best to go a notch slower just to be sure

Edited by nicefrog - 07/08/2010 at 12:13am
LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:08am
Ignore number ratings, i'd go with either chinese or euro on both sides to get used to at first. the difference in technique needed for those two types of rubbers would be hard to adjust for at first.

However, Chinese rubber on the backhand can be very difficult, so i'd personally go with euro/japanese rubber on both sides.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:18am
With young kids I always start them on "slow" Chinese rubber on the FH, it forces them to learn to swing properly, why worry about teaching a kid how to swing when the rubber will do it for you :)
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 2:30am
I am in the same situation.  I am a rookie again after 35+ year layoff. 40mm balls and hot rubbers have really changed the game. I tried using a TBS+2xT05.  I couldn't use it in competition reliably but it seemed to play well against the robot. Today I decided to get back to basics and close to what I used 35 years ago.  I just bought a Tibhar Samsonov Alpha Combo with 1.5 mm Scramble and 1.5mm Mark V.  I just wanted try the two rubbers for comparison.  In league play I rarely get back far enough to hit the ball that hard where a thicker rubber would do any good.

35 years ago I used Sriver at the very end my playing and you will not be disappointed.  The difference in cost between Mark V, Scranble, Mendo and Sriver is small so if you are going to make a 'traditional' choice I don't see cost as being a factor.  I would have bought a Sriver FX or EL if they were offered as part of the combination.   BTW, I bought the Samsonov Alpha Combo from the Paddle Palace, $97.  I live nearby and support my local TT supplier.

There are plenty of good players where I play that use some very basic rubbers and blades.  One of the better players uses Flextra ( a big step below Sriver ) and Anti.

I too saw the Shenron rubber ratings in the Paddle Palace catalog and almost selected it over the Scramble and Mark V.   If the numbers are to believe then there would be many more people using that rubber but I had doubts whether the number applied with or without the Ecolo Expander that is supposed to be used with the Shenron.   I to am interested in whether the Shenron is as controllable what is claimed with those high 'speed' and spin ratings.

If you call the Paddle Palace on Saturday there is an older gentleman there named Les.  He will listen to you explain you play and your experience and will recommend something good for you.  Les recommended the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha and Scramble for me.  I wanted to try the Mark V because it is a 'traditional favorite' and I wanted to feel the difference Mark V and Scramble.   I can always change the rubber later. 

Those Zeropong paddles look like a good bang for the buck too.
I agree with those that recommend a OFF- or ALL+ paddle.

There are others here that think that beginners should use thinner rubber.  I got the 1.5 mm to see if they are right. Logic dictates that if you aren't bottoming out the rubber to blade then the extra rubber thickness isn't doing much good. I will see if the thin rubber advocates are right.  What I do know is that if you are starting out you don't need anything too hot or spiny.   When you go to the club you will be beat by people that have much more 'basic','traditional' or 'conservative' rubber than what you have.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 3:43am
Have you used the 1.5mm mark V yet? I used to play 1.5mm Tornado and the 1.5mm Mark V and used Tackiness chop in 1.5 on the BH in the old days. I don't even know why I stopped using 1.5, was it with the ball change, was it because 1.5mm was just not common locally anymore? I really can't remember but I somehow ended up on Max sponge. I often wonder what's the lower limit of sponge I could play on now with the 40mm ball, my swing has changed to a lot more forward since those days, like most people I guess so maybe 1.5 doesn't work as well as it used to but let us know. I do remember using a 2mm sponge in the time I was using 1.5's and claiming it as "uncontrollable" pretty funny looking back since it seems so tame now, but that does make you wonder just how stable 1.5mm must be
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 4:07am
I will not get the new paddle till Friday.  I will let everyone know how the 1.5 mm Scramble and Mark V works out for me. I will practice on the Newgy this weekend and go to league play next week.

Wayne_TN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne_TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2010 at 10:44pm
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I am now the proud owner of a Yasaka Extra with Sriver FX 2.1 on both sides.  I love it.  Thanks Again.
Half the world lives on less than $2 a day.
Make a loan, Make a difference - Kiva.org
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 8:50am
Enjoy wayne! You made a great choice!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic