FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

pop-up tablte tennis scene in movie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pop-up tablte tennis scene in movie
    Posted: 03/11/2019 at 2:36am
So this requires an embarrassing admission: my wife often watches the Hallmark channel on TV and i sometimes watch with her.  Embarrassing because the acting is usually mediocre and the plots are simplistic and repetitive.  But their movies have the advantage of being stress-free. So if you've had a hard day, this is easier on the brain than more sophisticated TV.

Anyway, we watched a murder mystery movie today called "The Crossword Mysteries: A Puzzle to Die For."  The main gimmick is that the protagonist is an expert crossword puzzle solver/editor.  However, about 90 minutes into the movie, they shoot a scene where she's at a table tennis club.  While she (the crosswords lady) doesn't look any better than a 500 level player, it looked like she was hitting with a real player and the venue looked like a real club. Real tables, although they were playing with an orange ball, real paddles (I would guess she had Chinese rubber), and she did call it table tennis.

To my knowledge, this sort of scene is very rare in American television.  So I thought it was cool that it showed up at all.  But I was also curious: where is this venue and how was she hitting with?

Anyone know the answer?

Oh, and the jerk cop who visited her at the club asked the key question: "why do you do this?"Wink
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 4:11am
I do not know and did not watch the movie, but Will Shortz, the NY Times Crossword Puzzle Editor wrote the movie in question, and is an avid table tennis player. He owns and co-manages the Westchester Table Tennis Club, so I would take a wild-guess that it's that club where the scene was filmed.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 3:36pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 3:49pm
Yeah, that's not Westchester TTC...
USATT: ~1950
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 4:17pm
Not Westchester TTC for sure. But I can ask Will next time I see him.

Edited by hleett - 03/11/2019 at 4:20pm
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

But I was also curious: where is this venue and how was she hitting with?

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks for the video link fatt!

As far as the venue, it looks a bit too sterile to be a real TT club.  I think they found a location with nice wood floors, set up tables, and put some TT posters to give it a more genuine look.  I'm glad Lacy is staying active and still acting.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 6:12pm
Nice find, fatt.

Haha... after watching that vid, yeah, no way it's WTTC.

Edited by Ieyasu - 03/11/2019 at 6:14pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Nice find, fatt.
thanks, it was fun watching a Hallmark movie with benfb and his wife but while we were enjoying the show on their sofa, he was sitting in the middle of us bouncing a ball on a beat up TB ALC with 2 shrunk T05 on it, FOR THE WHOLE f**kING MOVIE!!! OK...he did stop a bit at the ping pong scene and he looked really happy for a while but he started again right after [email protected]#$%^&*!
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Nice find, fatt.
thanks, it was fun watching a Hallmark movie with benfb and his wife but while we were enjoying the show on their sofa, he was sitting in the middle of us bouncing a ball on a beat up TB ALC with 2 shrunk T05 on it, FOR THE WHOLE f**kING MOVIE!!! OK...he did stop a bit at the ping pong scene and he looked really happy for a while but he started again right after [email protected]#$%^&*!

I am impressed that Fatt found the entire movie only, and located the right scene.  On the other hand, my wife would never let me hold a paddle while we were watching something together.  She sees herself as an oppressed ping pong widow. I'm also not allowed to bring a paddle with me when we go on trips.

It looks to me like the actress was hitting with Will Shortz. At least, it looks the same as his Wikipedia page photo, except without the mustache.  So I'm hoping he'll write more scripts with table tennis in them.  It just helps with public acceptance, you know?

As for the venue.  It could all be a creation, but it could just be a small club somewhere, or possibly even a private club (in the back of someone's business).  I guess someone would have to ask Will himself. Big smile

If it had been up to me, I would have made the protagonist a serious table tennis player who does crosswords as a hobby.  That would make for interesting plot twists because most players would naturally fall under suspicion of being murders, just by their charming personality and their weird choice of sport.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2019 at 10:52pm
I doubt this is it, but the venue looks like where the Rutgers University club used to meet on the 3rd floor of the gym annex. I remember the annoying sunlight that wasn't worth the effort to block as the windows were too high and inaccessible. I haven't been involved with them for at least a dozen years so I'm not sure if they still store tables and meet there.

I considered running for USATT member at large but decided to remain a USATT large member.
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2019 at 7:06am
Any clues from the exterior scene following that?  A small park like area with a couple of TT tables for playing and a bunch of tables for sitting/drinking coffee.  Will Shortz has a line in that scene.  And well done to him for sneaking in some pro-table tennis propaganda.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 3:15pm
I was watching that movie as well ... with my wife.  Early on I was thinking about how Will Shortz is an actual crossword puzzle editor - though not as attractive as the one in the movie.  It is such an unusual profession that it kinda stuck in the back of my mind.  Anyway, toward the last part of the movie she is suddenly, and for no particularly good reason, playing table tennis - and doing so with pretty poor form.  This is apparently justified in the plot as a means of stress relief.  

I noted that they had real tables, TT pictures on the wall, and it sorta looked like a real club.  But the table arrangement and lack of barriers seemed odd.  Oh well, its a Hallmark movie after all.  Nice to see some TT in a movie.  They then cut to an outside shot and more table tennis? Wow.  Someone is really pushing the activity.  But the players outside seem a bit better.  That said, the one prominent table isn't leveled very well.  It is high in the middle.  

Anyway, next thing I know there's an errant table tennis ball and Will Shortz pops in grinning, looking for his ball.  He asks for help retrieving it and I stop the movie and explain to my wife what's going on ... that this is the real-life crossword puzzle editor who plays table tennis and blah blah ... How fun.

Anyway, I thought it was a hoot and think the cameo with Will was great given that he's actually a crossword puzzle editor ... who plays table tennis. 

Edited by wturber - 03/13/2019 at 3:20pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 3:36pm
Hah - just noticed the crossword puzzle insider joke.  He says, "Do you mind retrieving my ball? ... or reclaiming also works."

Get it?  Both words are the same ten letter length, start and end similarly and have similar meanings.  So in many crossword puzzles, either word would work.  Hence, ..."or reclaiming it also works."
Will is having too much fun.

BTW, the movie puzzle editor replies that "recovery could also work."  But that has a different word length and ending. So it really can't work.  That's puzzling.  So I suspect that she mis-spoke and should have said "recovering" - which has the right length and ending. They could have fixed that in post.  :^)

Edited by wturber - 03/13/2019 at 3:45pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by darucla darucla wrote:

Any clues from the exterior scene following that?  A small park like area with a couple of TT tables for playing and a bunch of tables for sitting/drinking coffee.  Will Shortz has a line in that scene.  And well done to him for sneaking in some pro-table tennis propaganda.

Seems that the movie has been removed from youtube. Bryant park in NYC is a possible location. Would've liked to see that outdoor scene again. See link. https://bryantpark.org/amenities/ping-pong

I considered running for USATT member at large but decided to remain a USATT large member.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Originally posted by darucla darucla wrote:

Seems that the movie has been removed from youtube. Bryant park in NYC is a possible location. Would've liked to see that outdoor scene again. See link. https://bryantpark.org/amenities/ping-pong

I'm pretty sure the tables had real nets and it was a folding table.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic