Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPH's Nexy Zealot Cpen Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPH's Nexy Zealot Cpen Review
    Posted: 12/17/2015 at 1:27pm
PPH's NEXY ZEALOT Chinese Penhold 80grams ~5.9mm.

Nexy’s new 4th Generation line is out!  They come in new specs including a nice presentation box.  4th generation’s emphasis is faster blades without adding thickness, & bigger sweet spot.  These two important characteristics are highly demanded to accommodate the new “plastic” balls.  Top ply is “secret wood” which looks like a hardwood.  I’m no wood expert, but top ply looks like something in between Rosewood& Walnut.  They are more porous than rosewood, but darker in color than Walnut.  Second layers Spruce and then Burnt Core (Probably Kiri/Ayous).  I’ve also seen the spruce layers in OLAM blade (7ply with Beech outer).  Spruce is mainly used in popular wood blades such as Hurricane Hao/King, & most of Stiga’s 5ply wood series.  I believe Spruce acts as a cushion between the outer and the core, providing harmonious sync.  The burnt core provides the power of the blade.  The advantage of having a burnt core is reduction of weight with the added speed.  The bare blade produces a medium high pitch, and medium tone which is might translates to a faster blade with lower dwell time than other 5plys.  I paired this blade with a used Big Dipper on forehand, and Omega IV Euro 1.8 on backhand.  Zealot & Olam is avail in Nexy’s website as well as Nexyusa.com. 

First Impressions: Despite the hard Outer ply, dwell time is quite sufficient.  I can feel the enlarged sweet spot compared to all of the 5ply blades out in the market… Only ones that’s comparable IMO are Peterpan, Emerald VPS, & some soft (Zylon/Arylate) carbon blades.  There’s small amount of vibration at the handle.  It is extremely well balanced even at only 80grams.  I believe it can withhold up to 185 in total & still won’t feel overly head heavy.  Total setup with my attached rubbers is 175grams.  Chinese hard tacky rubber works well on FH for me.  It produces a medium low-ish throw which I believe is the characteristic having hardwood outers, and Zealot has a flatter trajectory than other 5ply blades.  Backhand is slightly too bouncy for me even with a 1.8 sponge, OIVE has high catapult.  I’ll switch to something with harder sponge or higher dwell.  Hardwood blades produce this dull sound in the low gears, & a nice cracking “bak” sound in high gears…The Zealot has a higher pitch on high gears. 

In-Action Sessions: After testing for < 1 week, I popped the topsheet of my used Big Dipper so I decided to glue in a new one with a used sheet of MX-S on BH.  Total weight for the new setup increased to 184grs.  Not sure if elbow can hold up=S.  The FH loops made it so loud that players think the ball is broken.  MX-S on the BH is dependable & very spinny…However, one would need to play active strokes or the ball will drop into the net.  It’s a bit heavy for me ATM.  I played against similar level players & have experienced Jekyll & Hyde in game performance (swings between ±2-3 pts per game).  This is due to not familiar with my setup& weight yet.  The hand-feel of this blade is not as pronounced as Emerald.  Mid distance counter looping is decent, but requires extra effort from stiffness& low-ish throw.  Close to table countering is bread n butter of this blade, IMO.  Can compile some footage if requested=) 

Summary: I do feel this combo has great potential playing with the new balls.  It offers carbon like medium gears, big sweet spot & greats sound!  It’s also very stable in blocking close to table.  It can be my main weapon once I get the weight issue resolved=)  This blade retails at $130, and I would pick this blade over any of Stiga’s overpriced series due to lack of quality control & unproductive cpen head dimensions.  Finally, I would just like to express my appreciation to Nexy for offering creative & innovative designs for the love of this sport.  Thank you!   

In conclusion I will rate Zealot as follows:

80gr, ~5.9mm thick, 162mm x 151mm

Speed (medium-top Gears): (8.7-9.2) out of 10                   

Spin: 9.0 out of 10

Control: 8.1 out of 10

Hardness: Hard

Flex: Medium-Stiff 

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 12/17/2015 at 5:34pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2015 at 4:56pm
great review
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic