Print Page | Close Window

Done with Water Based Glue?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30767
Printed Date: 04/19/2024 at 12:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Done with Water Based Glue?
Posted By: icontek
Subject: Done with Water Based Glue?
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:21am
After trying several Water based glues in the last year (Free Chack, Dawei, and finally Tearmender which was cheaper and better than the TT - Specific glues), I've decided to stop water based gluing.

Why?

-Moisture damage to wood
 (especially when it seeps past the top edge)
-Potential splinter damage, even on well sealed blades
 (taking rubber off is a gamble)
-Rubber cement is simply easier to work with.
 (it's easy to peel and re-position used rubbers for a more perfect blade fit)

In one short year, I've ruined 2 blades with Water based glue.

As an EJ with spare blades, this hasn't crippled my game as one of the blades was a cheapo, but a favorite nonetheless.  But I can't imagine what others went through - those who have been playing with the same blade for 5+ years - the first time their "baby" lost splinters in to top ply or had it's feel altered by water glue...

Who else has abandoned Water glues?

It seems pretty wacky that in order to use a TT manufacturer's glue that I should first have to put thompson's water seal, and then use a poly sealer to finish / protect each blade (from water damage and splintering, respectively). I would imagine the risk of altering the feel of the blade to be significant.

And for those who have kept water gluing, what brands and what sort of sealing/varnishing are you using?

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Replies:
Posted By: kelvinyoong
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:42am
I stopped using water based glues after the 3 time using. I tend to change rubbers alot when i experiment and using VOC glue was easier especially for reapplying and reattaching.

I use the glass plate glue method so most of my rubbers are like Post IT notes now. I don't even have to glue the blade anymore. I just position and gently roll the rubber on.

My only worry is the latest rubber technology might be not be VOC friendly even though i don't speed glue and only use VOC glue to stick the rubber to the blade.

Regardless, i believe sealing the blade is still a must. Just don't over do it.

-------------
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9

Posted By: Rich215
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

-Moisture damage to wood
 (especially when it seeps past the top edge)
-Potential splinter damage, even on well sealed blades
 (taking rubber off is a gamble)
-Rubber cement is simply easier to work with.
 (it's easy to peel and re-position used rubbers for a more perfect blade fit)

Who else has abandoned Water glues?

I have been comparing TE with RC for awhile now......I have not ever had any of your experiences with Tear Mender....but have had problems with Rubber Cement.   I have ruined one lightly sealed blade with Rubber Cement and find it more difficult to work with than TE.  I like TE for positioning cut rubbers much better than RC.  Odd that we have such different experiences. 

Does anyone have physical proof of a damaged blade (besides splintering) from using water based glues?  

-------------

Posted By: tpgh2k
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:56am
i have no idea what you guys are talking about seriously, i slap on a thin layer of x-glue and it comes off really easy. i mean it's just a rubber compound that dries up basically. i just rub my fingers together (if i have some that's on my fingers) and it just comes off. same thing with the blade.

when i peel off my rubbers it doesn't have any risk of splintering b/c it's not that strong and yet holds the rubber firmly. (strong would be tibhar clean fix - damn near impossible to remove)

-------------
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Posted By: holda
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 12:28pm
using Yasaka water-based glue left me with 2 slightly damaged blades and two more still have some of this glue remaining on them.terrible stuff,voc glues-always,forever!

-------------
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 12:31pm
It sure seems that all water based glues are not the same!

-------------

Posted By: silverhair
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

i have no idea what you guys are talking about seriously, i slap on a thin layer of x-glue and it comes off really easy. i mean it's just a rubber compound that dries up basically. i just rub my fingers together (if i have some that's on my fingers) and it just comes off. same thing with the blade.

when i peel off my rubbers it doesn't have any risk of splintering b/c it's not that strong and yet holds the rubber firmly. (strong would be tibhar clean fix - damn near impossible to remove)

I'm probably not being completely clear in the discussions regarding water-based glues vs. non-water-based glues.  Its not about whether the rubber will stick to the blade, its about what water does to the blade.

EVERY blade should be sealed with a couple of THIN coats of lacquer or polyurethane when the blade arrives.  Then the glue should be applied to the blade.  Sealing will inhibit splintering.  Sealing will NOT prevent water penetration.  Water from water-based glue or other sources WILL penetrate the wood and cause deterioration.  Period. 

Once the blade is sealed, thin coats of Elmer's Wrinkle-Free Rubber Cement works very well.  This material will probably pass VOC-detection as fast or faster than it would take most new rubber to air out after attaching it on a blade with water-based glue.

(That said, someone recently posted that they used a first coat of Thompson's Water Seal on their blade.  Not sure how that will work, but lacquer or polyurethane may not adhere properly.  Water-based glues may not work well at all when applied to that kind of sealed surface since Thomspon's repels water.  Time will tell.)

-------------
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Posted By: Anton Chigurh
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 1:09pm

I haven't used Tearmeander, but I've used Butterfly Free Chack and a DHS water-based glue. I've heard from a few people that the DHS glue is supposed to be a bit milder in its adhesion properties.

Nonetheless, I've had issues with both--blade splintering, difficulty with positioning, and much more difficult removal of glue pack (especially from the sponge). Using rubber cement, I've had none of those issues, nor any of the supposed issues with the VOC content negatively affecting the sponge. No doming, no drop off in performance, nothing.

So, for me:

Water-based = hassle.
Rubber cement = no problems.

Asking for proof about the possible damage to wood caused by the water in water-based glue is understandable and commendable. However, proof in this case may be difficult to come by even if it is a perfectly valid claim. Yes, the stronger bond is what likely causes splintering of the wood. But what of those who've experienced splintering even after "sealing" their blade? Could it be that multiple gluing (i.e. multiple saturation) of the very thin plies on their blade could be slowly causing tiny deformations which facilitate the pulling away of the wood grain?

I know what water does to wood. I was a carpenter for 5 years. So my reasoning isn't wild speculation, I don't think. Plus, I love my current set up, so as long as I know rubber cement doesn't harm my rubber, and I know water-based glue does increase risk of splintering, then I'm going to minimize my risk as much as possible.

As I said, definitive proof may be difficult to come by in this specific situation, unless we have any chemists out there who are interested in taking up the challenge. Perhaps we can contact the authors of these papers:

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=19960609880 - http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=19960609880

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3k7152645p386312/ - http://www.springerlink.com/content/3k7152645p386312/  

LOLLOL

Anyway, I will admit it's not an issue that yields a definitive answer (in either direction) but rather, it's an issue of probability (chance). I'm taking my chances with rubber cement. If others choose not to, then that is obviously totally up to them. 

-------------
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

It sure seems that all water based glues are not the same!

You're probably right.  But ALL water-based glues have at least one thing in common: water.  Nobody disputes that water isn't good for wood and causes it to break down.  There is consensus that sealing the blade helps prevent splintering but doesn't prevent water penetration.

So the bottom line is that water-based glues will damage blades.  That's bad for those having to purchase the blades, but is a very big windfall for blade manufacturers. 

Maybe some of us should start thinking about using something other than water or VOC as a glue base.  Something that would dry fast and would not damage wood or the rubber (an alcohol?).  Or maybe a two-part adhesive that would only activate when mixed, but would not be a strong or stiff adhesive. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

But ALL water-based glues have at least one thing in common: water.  Nobody disputes that water isn't good for wood and causes it to break down.  There is consensus that sealing the blade helps prevent splintering but doesn't prevent water penetration.

How much water are we talking here with a typical application?   We are not dousing the blade or submerging it...or leaving it in the rain for hours. If the blade absorbs what ever amount of water from water glues....does 100% of that water remain in the wood....or does it dry out eventually?

So the bottom line is that water-based glues will damage blades.  That's bad for those having to purchase the blades, but is a very big windfall for blade manufacturers. 

Again, show some proof...and to what extent of damage are you talking about?   I have never ever heard or seen someone say or show that their blade was damaged (other than splintering...which can be from any type of glue almost) and they needed a new one from using water based glues....no matter how many times they have glued it.  One blade I have, Yasaka Extra, I have glued probably 25+ times in a period of 6 months with different rubbers for testing.   There is no sign of wood fiber damage or playing difference or weight gain. 

Also, manufactures are selling many blades because of how many different ones they make....and because of us EJ's LOL   I do not think they are making repeat sales because of water damage due to what glues they are using. 

Maybe some of us should start thinking about using something other than water or VOC as a glue base.  Something that would dry fast and would not damage wood or the rubber (an alcohol?).  Or maybe a two-part adhesive that would only activate when mixed, but would not be a strong or stiff adhesive. 

I would think any 2 part glues/adhesives would have higher VOC content than Rubber Cement.  ?

HAAAA this discussion is almost like "Which came first...the chicken or the egg"   Geek

-------------

Posted By: Ryu_S_M
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 2:35pm
sealed my blade with hairspray and using butterfly free chack, don't faced any problems yet.

Posted By: anubhav1984
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 3:05pm
Trust me on this folks, Haifu Water Solubility Bond is a pleasure to work with! You would not find any splinter problems with it and it would not even damage the top ply! I have been using it since the past 2-3 months now and i cannot be more happy.
Even i was an ardent fan of VOC based glues earlier because of the ease of working with them. But Haifu is even easier and it does not have any adverse effects too!

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Posted By: zrrbiteDK
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 3:24pm
Water based glue is fine. You're doing it wrong :P

It's been said by others; glues are different. You may want to give Andro Free a try, it's never given me any problems.

-------------
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by zrrbiteDK zrrbiteDK wrote:

It's been said by others; glues are different. You may want to give Andro Free a try, it's never given me any problems.

I agree.  Sorta.  The wrong part about using water-based glue is when it's used on table tennis blades. 

Give it a little time and it will (not might) ruin your blade face. 

That's great for the blade manufacturers!  You'll have to get a new blade more often!  It might also be good for you if you like to change blades often.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 4:20pm

I agree.  Sorta.  The wrong part about using water-based glue is when it's used on table tennis blades. 

That's great for the blade manufacturers!  You'll have to get a new blade more often!  It might also be good for you if you like to change blades often.

But i *am* using it on table tennis blades : ) ALOT. I mean, alot. The glue comes right off with a slight bit of rubbing.

Glue will ruin your blade if it's not sealed right, that's it. Same thing with VOC glues. It's no different now, but water based glue is stronger, so sealant becomes more necessary. There is no conspiracy!

Your claim that my blade face will, without a doubt, get ruined after " a little" time is baseless, and i think only fueled by your own bad experiences. I'm sorry you're having problems, it sucks getting your equipment ruined. I've had blades ruined by universal VOC glues like Stiga Victory too back in the day before i started getting my blades varnished.

-------------
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 4:35pm

But i *am* using it on table tennis blades : ) ALOT. I mean, alot. The glue comes right off with a slight bit of rubbing.

Glue will ruin your blade if it's not sealed right, that's it. Same thing with VOC glues. It's no different now, but water based glue is stronger, so sealant becomes more necessary. There is no conspiracy!

Your claim that my blade face will, without a doubt, get ruined after " a little" time is baseless, and i think only fueled by your own bad experiences. I'm sorry you're having problems, it sucks getting your equipment ruined. I've had blades ruined by universal VOC glues like Stiga Victory too back in the day before i started getting my blades varnished.

You have a bit of misconception about sealing.  Its used to inhibit splintering.  Sealing will NOT prevent water penetration.  Leave a glass full of ice water on wood furniture (selaed, right?) and watch teh ring form from water penetrating the "sealed" furniture.  Same thing with your blade. 

But that's not a bad thing if you like to change blades often.  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 5:24pm

Your claim that my blade face will, without a doubt, get ruined after " a little" time is baseless, and i think only fueled by your own bad experiences.

You likely would not notice gradual change in the blades playing characteristics if they are occurring over such a period of time.

Now you *could* test your hypothesis by purchasing two of the same blade, sealing them both in the same manner, and then gluing one with VOC based adhesives for a year, and the other with Water Based glues for a year. Make sure to split playtime and number of gluings evenly. And then get back to us to note your findings :)

Empirical evidence is hardly baseless. Any carpenter or homeowner who's had to repair water damaged areas of their home (plywood, 2x4's, etc.) can back me up on this one.

Water is a natural enemy of dried plywood.

Why do you think pressure treated wood or even synthetics are commonly used for any outdoor applications? (patios, decking).

The debate should be whether or not the STRUCTURAL changes that occur in plywood exposed to water significantly compromise the FEEL and LIFESPAN of the blade over time. And I'm convinced that variables like the type of glue used (like water soluble hide glues), and blade storage conditions will also play a role (micoroganisms like mold or fungi generally like dark cool places like your racquet case).

And if you want to boggle yourself unnecessarily, or somehow still don't believe that the structural and mechanical properties of plywood are altered by applied moisture, you can have a nice long read

http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/operations-quality-control/12349858-1.html - here

If the article is simply too much (I just jumped to the test results), how about a quick quote from answers.com

"Exterior glued plywood is suitable for outdoor use, but because moisture affects the strength of wood, optimal performance is achieved in end uses where woods moisture content remains relatively low."

and wikipedia.org

"If left untreated, wood that is exposed to moisture or soil for sustained periods of time will become weakened by various types of fungi, bacteria or insects."

And while I'm not suggesting that "bugs will begin to eat your blade" I am saying that you are conveniently choosing to ignore facts.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 6:04pm

Your claim that my blade face will, without a doubt, get ruined after " a little" time is baseless, and i think only fueled by your own bad experiences.

Your experiences with a year of water gluing aren't necessarily anything other than anecdotal. You likely would not notice gradual change in the blades playing characteristics if they are occurring over such a period of time.

Okay, you guys are just proving my point, really. You're saying that we're all guessing here, basically.

All i'm saying is that i've had no problems, while you have. But the time period in which i've had no problems, is not enough to prove my point? Then it's surely not enough to prove yours : ) Paralells to how water interacts with wood is not good enough. My blades are as good as new.

The strength of water based glue means i dont even need to use it on my blades, but on the rubbers only.

-------------
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?

Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 9:52pm

Your experiences with a year of water gluing aren't necessarily anything other than anecdotal. You likely would not notice gradual change in the blades playing characteristics if they are occurring over such a period of time.

Okay, you guys are just proving my point, really. You're saying that we're all guessing here, basically.

All i'm saying is that i've had no problems, while you have. But the time period in which i've had no problems, is not enough to prove my point? Then it's surely not enough to prove yours : ) Paralells to how water interacts with wood is not good enough. My blades are as good as new.

The strength of water based glue means i dont even need to use it on my blades, but on the rubbers only.

A guess?  OK, and I guess that that you're ruining your blade by using water on it.  No, actually it's not a guess, but you don't care.  You've already made up your mind.  Please keep using water-based glues.  The blade manufacturers need the business.  It's your nickel. 

But you must be an expert on wood, so go for it.  Most of the rest of us know better. 

-------------

Posted By: asyraf
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:02pm
check this all.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWVCZG5YyA0

-------------
Blade: TBS
FH: Sriver L 2.1mm
BH: Vega Europe Max

Posted By: 7plywood
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:11pm
I am still using Free Chack. Serves me well for a long time already. My blades are fine, no damage whatsoever. VOC glue is easier to work with, but for Tenergy is not an option IMO, since it gradually shrinks and hardens the sponge.

Posted By: Thaidog
Date Posted: 12/13/2009 at 11:40pm
I have have yet to use any water based glue at all... and I will not be until problems like what I have read in this thread stop and the price comes down. Otherwise I'll be using Best Test for life. And to think I used to hate people so cheap they would buy the stuff instead of ITTF approved glues.

Maybe we should start "Clan Best Test"?

-------------
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:08am

You likely would not notice gradual change in the blades playing characteristics if they are occurring over such a period of time.

Empirical evidence is hardly baseless. Any carpenter or homeowner who's had to repair water damaged areas of their home (plywood, 2x4's, etc.) can back me up on this one.

Water is a natural enemy of dried plywood.

Why do you think pressure treated wood or even synthetics are commonly used for any outdoor applications? (patios, decking).

"Evaluation of oriented strandboard and plywood subjected to severe relative humidity and temperature conditions."

That's the title to the article you cited.  Somehow, I don't see how exposing a blade to a very small amount (half a teaspoon?) of water ever couple of months equates to anything "severe."

Face it,  just using a blade probably damages it from the repeated stresses - and that doesn't even consider shocks from thinks like striking the table.  As for water glues and water, matters is whether or not the damage is sufficient to affect the way the ball plays.

Considering the very minute amount of water involved and the frequency of exposure, it seems to me quite a jump to assume that the damage that might occur actually matters.  Wood, after all, is a natural material that varies in its properties.  I have identical model blades that play differently.  Shoot, for all I know, a little bit of "damage" might improve the way a particular blade plays. 

My experience is that any damage that might occur from water based glues is not noticeable as changes in playing characteristics.  I'd expect environmental humidity to be a bigger issue in many locations.

It is all well and good to document that water damages wood.  It is quite another matter to quantify the degree of damage and show that exposing a blade to a very small amount of water for a short period of time once every couple months causes damage to a degree that matters.  Take your plywood article and have them do their testing after brushing the wood with a damp cloth six times a year and see what the results are.

The notion that water based glues will ruin a blade due to water damage has yet to be demonstrated on this forum.  That water can damage wood is not proof.  I suspect, as people have reported, that the tendency of some glues to grip so well and hence splinter the wood is a much bigger hazard.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:08am
Originally posted by asyraf asyraf wrote:

Two quick comments....

1.  It's still WATER on the blade face.

2.  His method traps the moisture under the rubber onto the blade face just to make sure that the blade gets ruined. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:47am

Two quick comments....

2.  His method traps the moisture under the rubber onto the blade face just to make sure that the blade gets ruined. 

1. You still have not shown any proof of any blade damage from water glues. Since you are so overtly imposing the notion that blades are ruined from using said glues.....there must be 100's of people upset because their blades are ruined and now have to replace them. So obviously those people are posting on any given TT forum about all this right?

2.  I do believe that there is a layer of sponge separating the blade from the rubber.....and it is breathable....yes?

3.  Are you related to Al Gore?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 12:59am

Originally posted by asyraf asyraf wrote:

Two quick comments....

Yes, clearly that puts water on the blade.  As for ruining the blade, I've been using TearMender for over two years now, and the only observed negative effects to the blade was the splintering that occured when I first removed a rubber from an unsealed blade after it was glued with TearMender.

Amazingly, after all this "blade ruining" abuse, my blades work just fine.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

2.  I do believe that there is a layer of sponge separating the blade from the rubber.....and it is breathable....yes?

Not very.  Table tennis sponge is of the closed cell type.  And while air might pass through rubber slowly, water vapor either doesn't pass or does so much more slowly. 

But the amount of water "trapped" is very low.  I suspect people who live in a humid environment expose their rackets to potential damage to their rackets as the blade absorbs or gives off water in the atmosphere than is likely from gluing a racket half a dozen times a year with a water based glue. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 1:25am
Here's the bottom line and my last post on this thread....

Water harms wood.  It doesn't matter if the wood is on a dining room table, floor joists in a home, the wood playing surface in a gymnasium or a table tennis paddle.  Water-based glues contain guess what...  Water.  So the use of water-based glue on a wooden table tennis paddle is bad for the wood.

Now you can ignore the facts and keep using water-based glues (and renew your membership to the flat-earth society), or you can face the facts that using the glue screws up your paddle and you can budget the extra money to get new blades more often.

-------------

Posted By: dauntless
Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 1:32am
Not going into the whole water damage thing or reverse anyone's giving up water based glue.

I have used Andro Free with Andro Free Sealer
I would say that the bond was not terrific, no doubt less strong than finezip (below) but never had any serious de-lam during a match or anything. Put it on a friend's blade and glued it up, no problem-- he used it for a year with no problems and when I re-glued his next sheet for him-- no problem peeling or re-gluing. I used up an entire set of sealer and glue and never had an incident.

I have used Nittaku Finezip:
I hated this product at first. I rushed and did not let the glue dry enough the first time and it was a true nightmare...had to clean up glue from rubber and it sucked so bad.
then i learned to let it DRY all the way, til it was completely clear. Some days this took almost 30 minutes due to humidity. After this revelation, no problems. As far as reglueing, forget it. Not the best for changing rubbers all the time or re-gluing. I have had some slight splintering on an unsealed blade and I should mention that it would have been better with a light seal job.

You can still buy old VOC glue in limited quantities or you can use rubber cement and as long as you are just affixing it to the blade and not trying to put like 15 layers thick layers on, it should be OK once the VOCs dissipate.

I use both and they are both good. If you are changing a lot, then use rubber cement or old school VOC glues.  If you just want to affix to blade and then let the rubber wear out, then it is a toss up. You will probably want to seal blade with something if you use water glue. Andro stuff was good, finezip adheres better with more rubber-like properties. Once completely dry, the finezip peels off the rubber once you get a good technique down.
---
I just ran out of glue and I am probably going to source some VOC glue if possible. Cole uses best test I think and says it is good. Elmers is kind of thick, but works. PP still stocks some VOC stuff I think. Next year, I will most likely buy some finezip or try other water glue for tournament.

---

Maybe we could share which glues are worth using if you feel you must use water based glues.

I would vote for Nittaku Finezip on a lightly (two super thin coats VOC poly sealer) sealed blade

-------------
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56416 - Feedback

Posted By: pingpongrob
Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 1:58am
Here's my take on this issue. As a dealer of table tennis goods and a Technical Manager of a Paint Firm, I have glued literally thousands of blades together. Using the old VOC based glues resulted in many blade with splinters being pulled off, if the blade face wasn't sealed. For those that recon it was the quality of the Blade, I say Bu**S*it. I've had top end butterfly blades peel, just like some Donic & Andro Blades. So it always pays to seal - even if its a single thin layer. In the past when I used Polyurethane's, I would brush a coat on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it all off. This was enough to stop most splintering.

Now for the stuff that causes arguments with some of the forum members. Water is not bad for timber. Lots of water is bad for timber. 1 single thin coat of water based polyurethane, and by this I mean Andro Free Seal, Donic Vario Clean etc, will work fine. The water in the sealer evaporates well before any damage can be caused. Its this evaporation that allows the cross-linking of the molecules to take place. (water based sealers are also polyurethanes) I have 30 odd blades that belong to myself that are all sealed with water based polyurathes and glued with water glue which are proof of the fact that it does not damage your blade.

Now if you think that a small amount of water can actually break the ply bond in your blade and warp the surface, then you are not from this planet.  I see lots of people that try and use water based glues to stick rubbers onto blades before they are sealed - Thats a big NO NO. This will for sure create havoc with your blade & Sponge.

Remember that Tree's once apon a time had water running through them, it actually stopped them from rotting. On of the major sources of damaged timber is when the moisture completely dries out. A little bit of moisture will not do any harm.

Now what I would like to find out - without blaming anyone or anything, is why have some members experienced a total different result to me.

Does it have something to do with the amount of sealer that is used.
Does it have something to do with the Moisture content in the area that you live in.
Does it have something to do with the environment that the blade is stored in.

Answers to the above questions will hopefully help us all understand how not to have a blade ruined.

-------------
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au" rel="nofollow - http://www.affordablett.com.au

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:19am
OK, I can;t help but dive in here, I guess I will add something regarding wood and water, especially seeing how wood needs water in the first place to grow:
http://%20www.globalwood.org/tech/tech_moisture.htm -
*While this is for the lumber industry, I can't see why it wouldn't hold true for veneer, especially when you consider the space age glues we have these days...

Seems like there could be a way to determine if the water content inside wood is damaging the blade. Perhaps if one of us took the time to measure the weight of two identical brand blade, with identical weights (within reason of course). Then measured the weights after immediately applying both VOC and water glues, then again after waiting until glues have dried, then again after several weeks in a controlled environment. Then using some math, we could determine if using water glue poses any significant possibility of damaging the wood. The content of water would have to be high enough according to the cited web link.

I am sure someone out there has the means and the knowledge of the scientific method and controlled experiments to make this a reality. Anyway, according to the above link, wood has the ability to take on and release water in a natural measured way, and only when TOO much water (28% MC -- whatever that means) is absorbed can decay start.
Apparently, even "dry" wood has some moisture content and that kinda means that while it is common knowledge that wood should be kept dry, that a bit of moisture might not necessarily mean the end of the world for a table tennis paddle.

Without any timely or cost prohibitive experiments, I personally think that a bit of water based glue that is sufficiently allowed to dry before adhering rubber to the blade poses hardly any negative or adverse effects on a blade. I never experienced any mold, or rotting of wood. In fact, the only time I had a major issue with a beloved blade was from old dried out  VOC based rubber glue that stayed on a blade too long and when removed took had discolored and weakened the top ply and took splinters out. I think you can damage a blade with either if proper care isn't taken. I am not taking 'sides" cause I use both, it just that I think that humans can screw up just about anything, given enough time and resources. LOL

Edit: I don't doubt icontek's issues and don't mean to make light of his problems with his blades, but I have noticed that tearmender users (only from videos I have seen) tend to put the glue on somewhat wet, while other solutions (andro and especially nittaku in my direct experience) need to sufficiently dry before affixing to blade. If this is true, then trapped moisture could seep into blade face... and THAT could be a problem. I think it is more of an application issue with this particular product -- this coming from my limited exposure to the TM camp. Again this is my opinion and not an attempt to say anyone is doing something 'wrong"

Lastly, I tend to agree with the OP regarding all but the first of his reasons (regarding damage-- but I could be wrong obviously) for switching to VOC and I can;t help but wonder if using VOC glue is such  a bad thing? I mean if not abused, it just works so great. Technically, is it illegal to use any type of VOC glues to attach the rubber to the blade?

-------------
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56416 - Feedback

Posted By: MildSeven
Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:31am
I only sealed my blade while I was speed gluing. The unsealed Mizutani I've been using this past year has only seen water glue and its blade surface can still pass for new. The only annoyance is rubbing off the layer of rubber left by the glue.

I think people who have damaged their rackets using water glue need to check their own racket care procedure.

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:39am
Nice post Rob, I think we share the same sentiment here.
That Andro sealer you sold me (I did buy it from you right??? Pinch) always worked well, I found two coats was the perfect amount. (Of course I tried to avoid the bubbling, but it never materialized into a problem even when I accidentally put too much sealer on and it got "bubbly") Good stuff. I think I like the Andro sealer with Nittaku Finezip (haha the only ones I've tried)

-------------

Posted By: ohhgourami
Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 3:12am
im still using x-glue without sealing my blades.  no significant damage when peeling off rubber.  a slight splinter on my HK655 but it was on the edge.  still not as bad as how i split a layer while practicing serves today Cry

-------------
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 3:17am
Here is the list of glues and sealers i have used:

1. DHS 15 Water Based Glue. Works well but if you have to apply it fast on the blade or it will get lumpy fast. No issues applying to the sponge. Easy to remove from the blade. Tough to remove from the sponge unless you apply 2 more thick layers and peel it off.

2. Butterfly Free Chack. Is much thinner then the DHS glue so spreading on the sponge and blade is easier. Less chance to have lumps on the blade. Easy to remove from the blade. Hell to remove from the rubber. This is what i call the 'stick them once and use rubber until it wears out' glue.

3. Xiom I-Bond. Easy to apply on blade and sponge. But like the Free Chack, easy to remove from the blade but hell to remove from the sponge. Some one even mentioned before to use water and rub it on the sponge. I tried it and it doesn't work. If you need to reapply the rubber back to the sponge, just put another layer on the blade and sponge.

4. Haifu Blue Whale II Speed Glue. Works like any other VOC glue if you don't speed glue. 1 coat on the blade and 2-3 coats on the rubber. Let it dry and flatten out before sticking together. I use this most of the time now.

The thing about water based glues is that you need to wait until it dries completely on the blade and sponge before you stick them. If dried and done correctly, once you remove the rubber, all the glue will be on the sponge. If not you will get some pieces of glue on the blade and some on the rubber.

For sealing, i have only used Xiom I-Sure. Works well for me. 2 applications is all that is needed and some sand papering to smooth it out.

-------------
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 3:37am

A guess?  OK, and I guess that that you're ruining your blade by using water on it.  No, actually it's not a guess, but you don't care.  You've already made up your mind.  Please keep using water-based glues.  The blade manufacturers need the business.  It's your nickel. 

But you must be an expert on wood, so go for it.  Most of the rest of us know better. 

Never claimed to be an expert. And i'm not stubborn by nature, as you imply. All i'm saying is that my blades are fine :P And yes, you're still guessing.  While i appreciate parallels to floods in your livingroom, they don't really apply here.

Water harms wood.  It doesn't matter if the wood is on a dining room table, floor joists in a home, the wood playing surface in a gymnasium or a table tennis paddle.  Water-based glues contain guess what...  Water.  So the use of water-based glue on a wooden table tennis paddle is bad for the wood.

Now you can ignore the facts and keep using water-based glues (and renew your membership to the flat-earth society), or you can face the facts that using the glue screws up your paddle and you can budget the extra money to get new blades more often.

Dude, you're getting awefully worked up over this : )  Just accept that you don't have any empiric evidence, and that evidence exists, contradicting your claims. That's all there is to it. Noone knows what'll happen after 5 years of using water-based glue. Kicking, screaming and insulting won't help :D

Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

Now if you think that a small amount of water can actually break the ply bond in your blade and warp the surface, then you are not from this planet.  I see lots of people that try and use water based glues to stick rubbers onto blades before they are sealed - Thats a big NO NO. This will for sure create havoc with your blade & Sponge.

I conclude with evidence from the man himself.

-------------
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 3:52am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Here is the list of glues and sealers i have used:

1. DHS 15 Water Based Glue. Works well but if you have to apply it fast on the blade or it will get lumpy fast. No issues applying to the sponge. Easy to remove from the blade. Tough to remove from the sponge unless you apply 2 more thick layers and peel it off.

2. Butterfly Free Chack. Is much thinner then the DHS glue so spreading on the sponge and blade is easier. Less chance to have lumps on the blade. Easy to remove from the blade. Hell to remove from the rubber. This is what i call the 'stick them once and use rubber until it wears out' glue.

3. Xiom I-Bond. Easy to apply on blade and sponge. But like the Free Chack, easy to remove from the blade but hell to remove from the sponge. Some one even mentioned before to use water and rub it on the sponge. I tried it and it doesn't work. If you need to reapply the rubber back to the sponge, just put another layer on the blade and sponge.

4. Haifu Blue Whale II Speed Glue. Works like any other VOC glue if you don't speed glue. 1 coat on the blade and 2-3 coats on the rubber. Let it dry and flatten out before sticking together. I use this most of the time now.

The thing about water based glues is that you need to wait until it dries completely on the blade and sponge before you stick them. If dried and done correctly, once you remove the rubber, all the glue will be on the sponge. If not you will get some pieces of glue on the blade and some on the rubber.

For sealing, i have only used Xiom I-Sure. Works well for me. 2 applications is all that is needed and some sand papering to smooth it out.

Did you not try the Haifu water solubility bond? It works like a charm.
Easy to spread as it is very very thin. Apply 3-4 layers on the rubber and one layer on the blade.
If you want to remove the rubber just peel it off the blade. It comes off within seconds without much effort and the best part is, the glue layer of the blade also comes on the rubber's sponge.
It does not splinter my blades atleast. None of my blades have any major splintering issues due to glues. I have a K-5, a stiga premade's ply, a LKT 9010, a BTY Firehand, a stiga offensive classic, a stiga ar classic and yeah the new Nexy Color.
All of them are doing just fine with this Haifu glue. It comes off from the rubber with much ease. It comes off in just one go or max 2. Comes off as a single layer. But you need to make sure that you apply atleast 2-3 layers of this glue on the sponge otherwise it becomes a bit tough to peel it off.
Get it from the MYTT store and give it a try in case you have not already done so!Tongue Cheers!

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 4:20am
Never tried Haifu WSB. I hear it comes in 2 parts. The glue for the rubber is in a brown bottle while the glue for the blade is in the blue bottle.

Has this changed? MYTT only sells the one type of Haifu WSB so i am bit confused if the 2nd part is needed.

The shop in my country sells 2 different types of Haifu WSB, one for the rubber and the other for the base (blade). Might be old stock.

-------------
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 10:32am

Well, the fact that you keep ignoring is that the quantity of damage matters a lot. If I take black 800 grit sandpaper and wipe it across the surface of my blade, the indisputable FACT is that I will damage the wood. This will be evidenced by the wood particles in the sandpaper.  Now did it ruin the blade?  No.  How many strokes with the sandpaper before the blade is ruined?

Technically, every time I step on the step of my aluminum ladder, I damage it (aluminum does not have a fatigue limit). But this damage does not ruin the ladder.  Degree matters.

I don't have a problem with your continual assertion that any exposure to water damages wood.  Maybe that is correct.  And if so, then 99.99999% of the wood out there is constantly being damaged because it is constantly being exposed to water in some manner.  What I have a problem with is your extrapolation that this damage ruins the blade.  My experience is that it does not. 

Now I don't change a rubber on my blade much more frequently than every couple months in normal use.  Though I have a few blades where I've changed the rubber much more frequently because I was trying different rubbers.  I've yet to ruin a blade from water damage.  I've yet to see one even that is even noticeably compromised in some way.

It is you who are ignoring facts.  You keep talking about blades being ruined by water, and haven't shown us or pointed us to even one blade so damaged.  The flat earth society is for those people who take ideas on faith and without proof.  It seems to me like you are the one that has been keeping his membership in that club current.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Never tried Haifu WSB. I hear it comes in 2 parts. The glue for the rubber is in a brown bottle while the glue for the blade is in the blue bottle.

Has this changed? MYTT only sells the one type of Haifu WSB so i am bit confused if the 2nd part is needed.

The shop in my country sells 2 different types of Haifu WSB, one for the rubber and the other for the base (blade). Might be old stock.

I am talking about the one that is white in color and comes in a blue bottle. The brown liquid is actually a tuner. It was meant to expand rubbers while the VOC ban was in effect. But when the ruling from ITTF came out to ban the tuners (water based) as well, Haifu pulled it out of the market in some time.
So in case you can get your hands on the brown bottle, do let me know. I have been wanting to buy it Wink
But as it is, the white Haifu WSB that MYTT store sells is going to fulfill all your needs. It is the best water glue by far. I have tried Donic, Joola and butterfly. Butterfly is damn hard to take off from the sponge, where as Donic is hard to take off from either the blade or the rubber. The best is Haifu, which comes off like charm and holds even the most tuned rubbers perfectly well.
Does not cause splinters as well! For blades that have a slippery surface, like in the case of Nexy color that i recently received, it doesn't even need any effort at all to take it off.

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Date Posted: 12/14/2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Well, the fact that you keep ignoring is that the quantity of damage matters a lot. If I take black 800 grit sandpaper and wipe it across the surface of my blade, the indisputable FACT is that I will damage the wood. This will be evidenced by the wood particles in the sandpaper.  Now did it ruin the blade?  No.  How many strokes with the sandpaper before the blade is ruined?

Technically, every time I step on the step of my aluminum ladder, I damage it (aluminum does not have a fatigue limit). But this damage does not ruin the ladder.  Degree matters.

I don't have a problem with your continual assertion that any exposure to water damages wood.  Maybe that is correct.  And if so, then 99.99999% of the wood out there is constantly being damaged because it is constantly being exposed to water in some manner.  What I have a problem with is your extrapolation that this damage ruins the blade.  My experience is that it does not. 

Now I don't change a rubber on my blade much more frequently than every couple months in normal use.  Though I have a few blades where I've changed the rubber much more frequently because I was trying different rubbers.  I've yet to ruin a blade from water damage.  I've yet to see one even that is even noticeably compromised in some way.

It is you who are ignoring facts.  You keep talking about blades being ruined by water, and haven't shown us or pointed us to even one blade so damaged.  The flat earth society is for those people who take ideas on faith and without proof.  It seems to me like you are the one that has been keeping his membership in that club current.

Well said.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/15/2009 at 12:41am
Thanks for everyone's input -

Just to clear up a few things:

I've had splinter issues with VOC glues, but only on unsealed blades. Free Chack and the Dawei Glue were strong enough to pull splinters from my sealed blades.

Thanks to this thread I figured out what I was doing wrong with the water glues (wet gluing and pressing the water glues overnight to dry). I did this to ensure and even layer and unknowiningly trapped the water, pushed it into the top ply and did not allow it to evaporate.

Hence my issues.

I think Jay is right about the idea that degree and amount of damage are critical factors. It just so happened that my gluing method increased the likelihood of damage. I've learned a valuable lesson!

-------------

Posted By: hungga
Date Posted: 12/15/2009 at 5:59am
OK. Mine was BTY Fit Chack. My Petr Korbel was heavily sealed (3 times sealing and sanding). Peeling off the rubbers (T64) was an easy task but it seems that some varnish stuck to the rubber's sponge.

Now peeling off the glue was a bit of pain because it won't roll liked any glue. It just stick to your finger. I will not recommend BTY Fit Chack for those who has no patient in removing it from sponge or blade. Too, for unsealed blade, stay away from this glue. IMO.

-------------
:: EJ level 1 ::

Posted By: ppgear
Date Posted: 08/30/2021 at 4:49pm
UPDATE 2021:

How is everyone feeling about water-based glues now? Are the new formulations easier to use than the first generation glues?

I'm still annoyed by water-based glue. If you use a little too much, it forms puddles. If you use too little, it starts to dry even as you apply and might start rolling up little bits.

What are your thoughts?

-------------
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131

Date Posted: 08/30/2021 at 7:17pm

Once I found Tear Mender, I stopped trying other water based glues. So I can't really comment on the breadth of available glues other than to say I won't spend a lot of money on glue unless I have no choice.

I developed good methods using Tear Mender and don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, for gluing OX rubber, I prefer it since it doesn't curl the thin rubber sheets at all.

If I were playing with sponge backing, I'd probably just use rubber cement so long as rubber cement didn't negatively affect the sponge. I'd just use it many days before any sanctioned tournament that I'd have to play in. My understanding is that some boosted rubbers can be harmed by a VOC glue.

I find the ITTF's approach to to VOC control to be borderline insane, even if I agree that getting rid of speed gluing is/was a good thing to do. Their insanity was dropping the VOC limit levels down to the point where a fresh, unglued rubber out of a package would set off their detector. The sane approach would be to take away the advantage of gluing right before a match and therefore the advantage of gluing frequently. If some player wants to use rubber cement a half dozen times a year, that shouldn't be a concern. A little exposure to VOCs is not big concern. Routine exposure is.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 12:53am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

The newest glue formula. It looks like ice cream consistency, high viscosity substance easy to spread over the blade.
NOT CHEAP THOUGH.

Posted By: p1ngp0ng3r
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 2:31am
That's a clip from over an year ago...?  By the way, looks like regular Stiga Attach Glue to me.

On topic: I still prefer the old way of glueing, but I don't mind using WBG. (Using Rev 3 or DHS Aquatic glue.)

-------------
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX

Posted By: Zwill
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 4:30am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

That's a clip from over an year ago...?  By the way, looks like regular Stiga Attach Glue to me.

On topic: I still prefer the old way of glueing, but I don't mind using WBG. (Using Rev 3 or DHS Aquatic glue.)
Yes, Stiga attach. It should be the same as Nittaku Finezip.

I have no issues with WBG. I like DHS no 15 the best and Revolution as runner up. With DHS you need to hurry up tho, it's really thick and starts to dry quickly.

I tend to follow what the Japanese players are doing, only one generous layer to the sponge and blade, DHS no 15 is thick enough to be used like that. BTY free chack pro is good for this method too, but if you shuffle your rubbers around removing the glue from the sponge is annoying compared the DHS.
If someone only glues once and removes their rubber when it's worn the free chack pro is pretty good too.

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max

Posted By: plazm
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 4:00pm

Once I found Tear Mender, I stopped trying other water based glues. So I can't really comment on the breadth of available glues other than to say I won't spend a lot of money on glue unless I have no choice.

I developed good methods using Tear Mender and don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, for gluing OX rubber, I prefer it since it doesn't curl the thin rubber sheets at all.

Can you explain more on the method using Tear Mender?

Posted By: Leftstudio
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 4:14pm
I have started using tear mender a couple months ago - been using Butterfly Chalk, gave up because glue damages the sponge esp with Tenergy when remove. 
Then I use Finezip, pretty good glue but still difficult to remove. 
My method currently:
2 layers of Tear Mender, then 1 layer of Finezip (still think Finezip is the best for its elasticity), then one more layer of Tear Mender on rubber. Pretty much using Tear Mender to warp Finezip inside. After that, one layer of Tear Mender on blade. 
Works beautifully and super easy to remove from sponge.

-------------
No signature required

Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by plazm plazm wrote:

Can you explain more on the method using Tear Mender?

I mostly glue OX rubber (hardbat). I use a sponge (cut up pieces of those big tile/grout sponges you can get from Home Depot) to spread an even layer of Tear Mender on both the blade and the rubber. I wet the sponge and squeeze out the excess water. I start with a pool of glue about the size of a quarter or maybe a bit larger and spread quickly before the glue starts to congeal. Do one surface at a time. I rinse the sponge immediately so I can reuse it. If the sponge starts sticking to itself from glue not rinsed, I either cut off the portion with glue or toss it and use a fresh sponge for the next step.

I let both surfaces dry until clear. I then put a puddle of glue a bit smaller than a quarter on the blade and spread it around evenly and quickly. Using the "taco" method where I hold the sides of the rubber up and drop the drooping middle of the rubber onto the center of the blade, I quickly place the rubber onto the wet glue on the blade. The "taco" method allows you to line up the bottom edge and make sure the rubber is close to being centered. It tends to reduce the chance of trapped bubbles since the rubber gets laid down from the inside out.

I then roller out the rubber from the center outward to remove any bubbles. Depending on how well you've dialed in the amount of wet glue to use, some glue may ooze out the edges.  I just wit that off with a damp paper towel. If any gets on the other side of the blade, I just let it dry and rub it off.

The third wet layer helps give OX rubbers a smooth attachment. I don't know if I'd bother with a wet layer with sponge rubber. I'd probably just adhere the sheet once both rubbers have dried clear.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 4:51pm
I never switched. If using latex glue, I agree tearmender is better on average. Probably fresher

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I never switched. If using latex glue, I agree tearmender is better on average. Probably fresher
+1

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 5:45pm

For most sponge rubbers Wanda and I just use Bestine rubber cement - thinned a bit.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: ThePongProfessor
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 7:44pm
I have glued 100s of blades and rubbers with Revo #3 normal viscosity glue and have never looked back. 2-3 layers with new rubbers, one if re-attaching a pre-cut rubber. Fantastically easy to remove. I don't like the medium viscosity version as it is too thick though, drying too slowly. 

-------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/feedback-thepongprofessor_topic69419.html" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 08/31/2021 at 8:56pm

For most sponge rubbers Wanda and I just use Bestine rubber cement - thinned a bit.

+100 for RC

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 09/01/2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

+100 for RC
same here, for the blade only, tearmender for the sponge. "bestine" is the thinner tho; "best test" is the the paper cement.

True. Right now it's hard to find the quarts though

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Posted By: comodoensis
Date Posted: 09/01/2021 at 7:16pm
Hilariously I use both water based glue (mostly just any liquid latex/latex glue kinda like tear mender, and any other brand. I mostly avoid BTY free chack, donic glues, etc that doesn't turn into an elastic latex rubberlayer when dried. And I avoid free chack 2 too because of the price LOL) and VOC-based glue (rubber cement and speed glue. I thinned down the rubber cement with local speed glue. I hate the clumping property of RC LOL)

For the rubber, I use WBG as a kind of base layer. For hard chinese rubbers 5-6 layers, as I rarely boost. For soft sponge rubbers, whether it's chinese or eurojap, usually 2-3 moderate layers, then that's when voc-based glue comes into play; to flatten the rubber before attached to the blade (if the reverse dome is prominent, I'll use speed glue. If not, I'll use the RC-SG mix for milder effect, just to get it flat). The advantage gained is, well, most of us should've known it; it's very easy to peel off glue layers from the sponge;the thicker latex glue layer is the more easier. If you feel it's too atttached to the sponge, a layer of speed glue to soften the glue layer, and you're good to go. And peeling off elastic glue layer sometimes satisfying, as long as you don't pull a chunk of your rubber's sponge if not being careful Big smile

For the blade, if it comes factory-sealed, I'll just use WBG to it to ensure good adhesion (for stiga blades with those fancy CR/NCT coating, lightly sand with 1000 grit sandpaper or higher, just to slightly roughen the surface) 

If it's not sealed, I'll use RC-SG mix. It spreads evenly, strong enough adhesion with minimal risk of damaging the top ply

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net