Print Page | Close Window

Nexy Designer's diary

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35293
Printed Date: 03/19/2024 at 12:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nexy Designer's diary
Posted By: Nexy
Subject: Nexy Designer's diary
Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 8:57am

From now on we will take more time editing our posts to reduce grammatical errors. We will also update and improve our articles and product descriptions in order to make Nexy a friendlier brand for table tennis lovers! ☺

Common Materials For the Blade Surface:  Hinoki, Limba, and Koto.

This topic will be very interesting for members on this forum. I'm not sure how much you will agree with my analysis because it's about more than mechanical calculation. In some ways, this part should be about considering each player's style, e.g., type of swing, what angle is comfortable for a backhand and forehand stroke when looping, how long the ball remains on the blade when making a spinny shot, the impact of the swing movement when generating powerful topspin, ball friction when maximizing a pips-out rubbers' effect, and so on.

So, this article will be a general one — please don't expect me to be a fortuneteller for table tennis blades. 

Ok, let's start with the "staying moment,” which is the term I use to explain my thoughts about surface materials. When making a topspin shot, some players keep the ball on the blade for specific amount of time, which is long enough to help them generate a massive spin on the ball. Normally for beginners, this movement goes slightly around, grazing the ball without penetrating deep. The blade draws a big round circle. But as players become faster and more powerful, the movement becomes easier. Some players use their wrist when they make a topspin shot, from backward to forward, not only from downward to upward. If this movement occurs at a short point of impact, the loops will be more extreme and difficult for an opponent to return.

When playing against top players, you will often experience having to return a faster, spinnier ball than what you normally would encounter. Watching high-level players play is much different than actually playing them! You will need to keep your blade tight and be stable when you block because the ball seems to shove your blade back. And you may be thinking, “Why isn’t my topspin like this?” “How can I make my topspin this fast and spinny?” And some of you might have tried to make a faster swing movement, but only to discover that this is not the practical answer. As previously mentioned, sometimes it's about wrist movement, arm folding, or other factors. But, I can say one thing for certain — It's about impact! When you hit the ball with your blade, the blade is at the highest speed, and the ball needs to be smashed both ways, from down to up, and also from back to forth. It may seem like too simple of an answer, but consider what will happens to the ball and rubber when you make that powerful shot. In that moment, the ball goes into the rubber, from top sheet into sponge, and finally into the wooden surface. For strong loopers, this impact happens all the time. They know how to make the ball sink deep even into wood. So, when you make such a powerful shot, even if you are not looping, you can still hear the loud sound of the ball's impact on the wooden surface of the blade. If you don't hear the sound, which normally happens when you smash without a spinny movement, then it means that you are not effectively doing a high level shot. Anyway, it's not the most important factor in table tennis. As far as I know, there are some good players who cannot make this "bang" sound when they loop, but still they are really powerful and win many matches.

By the way, whenever I make a blade, I discriminate the "staying moment" for general swing movement from the "bang" looping movement. Some blades can be good for a general swing, but not good for a "bang impact".

Often, when you land a bang impact shot on the table, your opponent will not even see the ball because it is too fast to be recognized. The ball seems to disappear. The impact generated by this kind of shot distorts the top sheet of the rubber and also distorts the sponge upon to the blade surface, making a loud BANG!

I don't want to degrade Chinese blades, but many of their blades are not good for a bang impact shot. They tend to focus on the feeling and power onto the table movement, which is about a small, but quick swing. So, they don't believe a blade has to be powerful with that bang impact shot.

Ok, now let's get to the point. From my description, you know there are two different kinds of loops. I will now explain the general differences between the three most popular materials.

1. General Hardness

Hinoki is normally very soft. It becomes damaged easily, so you need to be careful about it. Limba is still soft, but harder than Hinoki. Koto is hard and solid.

2. Feeling

I’m not sure how to express this part, but I will try. Hinoki feels sticky. When you loop, the ball seems to follow the movement of the wood. Limba feels like it embraces the ball, but this depends on how thick the Limba is that you use. Generally, most blade uses thin Limba that is less than 0.7mm, and you will feel it holds the ball into the center. Koto is hard, and normally we use a thin ply for the surface. Koto is also heavy, so we don't use it for the center ply. Generally, blade designers believe that hard surfaces would not be good for generating a big spin. But recently, they are using Koto in many blades, because with Koto they can make full use of rubber’s effect. If you use Koto on the surface, it should be very thin, if not, the blade’s overall feeling will be too solid, resulting in a dull blade. A thin ply of Koto works like a metal plate that has a positive effect on the rubber.

Now we have two factors — Hardness and Feeling. But this cannot be mechanically simple. For an example, many blades are using Koto on their surfaces, but most of them use very thin Koto, and in that case, it becomes like a very thin metal plate, which affects on the ball directly, but also helps the ball go into the second or center ply. The feeling of those blades also comes from the second ply, not only from the Koto surface.

Someone on this forum mentioned that Koto is a soft material, and I think it's because of this reason. The general feeling of Limba is embracing, but when I used it thick or doubled the feeling was not too embracing. http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=716" rel="nofollow -  

And also Hinoki, when I used very soft ones, the unique feeling became weak, and the second ply affected on the ball more directly. So, it also depends on the thickness of the material.

Any way, if you ask what will be the moderate thickness for them, I think for Hinoki, it will be from 0.8mm to 1.4mm. For Limba, it will be from 0.3mm~0.7mm. For Koto, it will be 0.3~0.5mm. This is my personal conclusion.

Ok, let's move on a little further.

When I design my Hinoki surface blades, I use high quality Japanese Hinoki. Hinoki has many grades. If you look into the surface, you will notice that there are lines. One line represents one year of tree growth. So, if you want to use Hinoki for a blade, then it has to be at least 200 years old. If not, the width is not enough to cover the entire surface of the blade. And generally, players don't like a blade that has several Hinoki fragments. If the line is wide, there could be two possibilities. That wood is not good. If the mother tree were young, then the lines would be wider because they are new, and the feeling is soft and speed is not very fast. Another possibility is that the material has come from the core part of a big old tree. In that case, the wood is also soft, and the speed is not very fast. But the prices of these two materials are much different. If the material is from the core of a very old tree, it's extremely expensive.

I use soft Hinoki for all the Nexy blades, and I prefer to use thick plies. Generally, many Hinoki blades' surface are 0.5mm thick, but I normally use thicker than that. When using hard Hinoki, 0.5mm will often be ok, but with soft Hinoki it has to be thicker. If not, the ball will be overly affected by the second ply, and players will not get the full effect of the Hinoki surface.

Let me give a practical example. Here are two blades, one is DEXTER and the other one is HANNIBAL. For DEXTER, my purpose was quite simple. I wanted to make a 5-ply blade, which was faster than a normal carbon blade.

So, I had to make the center ply thick and use fast spurs on the second. But if I made the blade too fast, then I was worried it would be too bouncy. So, I had to find a material that made the ball spinny, even though the staying moment of a ball was very short. In that case, Hinoki was the best choice. This blade was like an announcement for my brand. Nexy is different. It's a bold brand. And I wanted to prove it by showing the fastest 5-ply blade, DEXTER.

But for HANNIBAL, my purpose was quite different.

Carbon has been quite an attractive material for blade construction, but unfortunately, it often feels too artificial. So, some European makers tried to use it in the third position, or to use a very thin carbon layer. Some brands even claim to use it when in fact they do not. For example, they mix the carbon powder into the glue, and claim it’s a light carbon blade. But in that case, that carbon glue ply becomes shaken — little by little and eventually changes the character of the blade. Some makers tried to use only one line carbon, which meant they didn’t use carbon as one ply. While other makers mixed carbon layers with other artificial materials. Still, I still find a carbon layer to be a very attractive material, even with its potential problems. For me, the biggest problem is not only about feeling. I was more interested in how I can make it effective for a bang impact swing. As you might have experienced, many carbon blades are good when you practice basic skills, but in a match, they don't have good spin and feeling, and they lack power, even though they are fast.

I began to wonder how I could prolong the staying moment for a fast bang impact swing, and I discovered the solution. I used very light and resilient wood for the center ply. And I chose very soft Hinoki for the top ply, but thicker than most other blades. So, it's approximately 1.3mm thick.

With these two new factors, I could get very good stay​ing moment needed for a bang impact shot for HANNIBAL.

Someone recently asked me what blade would be good for short pips players, and I recommended HANNIBAL. This blade has a very powerful smash, but it also has enough staying moment needed for a player who wants to make use of the full range of pips-out play.

I have one Koto blade, IKARUS, and I'm going to release another, LABYRINTHOS. The reason I use Koto for these blades is I want to create a greater pips-out's effect.

Actually, there could be several different styles of pips-out players. And if I use soft material, then the staying moment can be longer than Koto. But in that case, the pips-out effect is also affected by that softness. Most push blockers prefer OX because that allows for maximum effect. Therefore, you can understand why I use the hard, solid Koto on the surface. If I use a soft surface, it would be like I added a thin sponge onto an OX rubber, which reduces the pips effect, i.e., reversal, wobble, dead ball, disruption, etc.

Regarding MUSIRO and MILARGE, I use Limba to add more control than other standard blades. This enabled more stability, even when using long pips rubbers. On the contrary, I use Koto for IKARUS and LABYRINTHOS, because I want to maximize the pips-out's effect.

OK, this was not a short story, but I hope most players have gotten something out of this passage. Some of my explanation will not be exact with the blade you have, because it's not that simple. Even if you use the same material, the effect will likely vary depending on several factors, including the weight of each material and on the total composition.

I don't expect you to accept my writing as a decisive conclusion, but rather as a way to understand your blade better.

Thank you for reading through this article.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Replies:
Posted By: rawrtje
Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 12:18pm
Thanks for the article! It was an immensely interesting and informative read Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 9:28pm
I changed the title of this thread.

I think I will keep on writing on this thread, how I think, how I design, and how I study.
This thread will devote itself to show me, myself as a designer of nexy, as a player, and as a person.

I hope you guys can enjoy this thread.

By the way, here I have one more topic.

< CARBON >

This is fantastic material for table tennis blade.
Most people now think they know this quite well.
And also most table tennis blade designers think that way too.
But I don't think so.
I think I have vast ocean to swim through to find still something new, veiled, hidden in the deep water.

Carbon ply was found by butterfly brand, and later on lots of European brand trid to follow it.
But the first carbon blades shown by Butterfly did not attract European market a lot.
European market thought carbon blade is too much bouncy.

So, Donic, Stiga.... started to make soft thin carbon blade.
And some blades were using carbon layer deeper than second layer.
They thought they can neutralize the carbon's too much bouncy character by keeping it deeper.
But that was little bit dull idea I think.
They didn't have to neutralize; if they really want to newtraize, then why they use it?
Rather they had to find how to harmonize it better.

Some brand used balsa to make it light.
But balsa has a kind of hollow feeling, so when you joint it with some other material, then you need to think about how to make up for that hollow feeling.
For normal long pimple our rubber blades, balsa was good material, because they need that hollow feeling. But for others, I think it should be careful.

Carbon is the most attractive material, among all the artificial materials for blades, I think.
It's solid and hard, very good for adding more power onto the ball, plus not very heavy as you might think.
If this can be matched with good wood, then it's perfect.
It can have good vibration, solid feeling, and also pleasant touch.
That's how I made my blade Hannibal.

I think I will try this material with my next version blade.
I will prove how attractvie a carbon layer can be, with my next blade.

Please, European players, don't think little of Carbon layer.
When it is in good harmony, like in hannibal, it can be really good.
You will see.

(Before closing this passage, for an example, I will ask you to picture one blade, with two carbon 9-ply blade. I think with this composition, I can make 5mm, fast and very spinnyy blade. Don't you agreewith me? That blade will be flexible, even though it has two carbon layers. I want to test it as soon as possible.)

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: mmerkel
Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 9:33pm
This is so cool. I like the way you are thinking and how you write about it.
Truly you have your heart in what you are doing for table tennis.

-------------
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC

Posted By: nicefrog
Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 9:36pm
After reading your last story I think you are going to use a very hard outer ply, on top of carbon with a softer ply under the carbon :) then another medium/hard ply then the center. I guess with soft glue, hide glue or something it can stay flexible. I like medium speed carbon blades so I think if the handle is a good European size I will buy your next carbon blade to try it. I feel the carbon blades with Hinoki are not so good as the carbon blades with Limba, so maybe the carbon blades with a harder surface than Limba are ever better

Date Posted: 07/02/2010 at 11:03pm
That's an interesting thought.
I will think about it.
But my current idea is quite diferent one.
You will see it some time later.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: Thomasson
Date Posted: 07/03/2010 at 7:02am
Nexy ur love and devotion for the game of tabletennis reminds me of myself.

U want nothing less then the best and will do anything to achieve it. U wont forget a single aspect, thriving for perfection.

You have my respect.

-------------
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7

Date Posted: 07/03/2010 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

Nexy ur love and devotion for the game of tabletennis reminds me of myself.
U want nothing less then the best and will do anything to achieve it. U wont forget a single aspect, thriving for perfection.You have my respect.

Thank you very much, I'm really honored, more than what I truly deserve.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 07/12/2010 at 3:38am

HINOKI - A Deeper Study

I apologize to anyone who hoped this article would be posted sooner than today. I decided to write once per week because this kind of writing takes a great deal of time and energy.

Today, I will write more about Hinoki because I discovered that this material is the least understood wood for players outside of Korea and Japan. Recently, I received an inquiry about a Hinoki one-ply blade, and he was not satisfied with the price I quoted him. But after I explained why the price was high, he replied with apologies. So, I thought maybe I needed to provide more information about Hinoki to help educate about this wonderful wood.

Character

When Hinoki is used for the surface of a blade, as I wrote in a previous article, it makes the player feel like the ball is sticking to the blade. If your swing movement is fast, then you will feel the fall follow the whole arc of the blade's trajectory. In this way, Hinoki feels different from other materials. So, you can make an effective topspin shot even when lightly grazing the ball. When you hit the ball, the ball follows the blade and moves slowly with a big spin, coming out too slow to be seen clearly.

Many Koreans can do this kind of slow but spinny type of looping, because they have been playing with Hinoki for many decades. We call this a "fake loop," because sometimes the ball comes after the blade, due to it's slow speed. If your arm moves very fast and the ball is hit very slightly, then the ball flies after the completed swing, and everybody can see the ball fly slowly after the blade. It's an awesome and surprising moment, because it takes away the expected timing for the opponent. And, sometimes even when the opponent blocks the ball with correct timing, the ball is too slow and weak and doesn't react in the usual way — it creeps onto the rubber of the opponent's blade, and then goes high, surprising the other player.

This is one factor I like about Hinoki material. It's good to make the ball follow the blade, but on the contrary, it's also harmful for a player to learn this kind of looping skill. In Korea, it is common to see players relying only on a "fake loop" instead of normal powerful loop, because it's fantastic to feel how it works. But sooner or later that kind of style will be defeated by a higher level player with more advanced, effective strokes. If the other player knows how to effectively block with the appropriate angle, then that kind of style defeats him. So, a fake loop is not good for players trying to improve his or her level. Anyway, I think there may be some players interested in this kind of fake loop. I used to do it when I played with one-ply Hinoki, but now I lost it. I hope I can demonstrate it someday in a video clip.

There is another distinction you can easily feel when using Hinoki as a surface wood.. If you block the ball, it works really well at controlling the length of the ball. If you push down your blade with good angle, loosening the power, then the ball will fall short. It's a very sensitive moment to enjoy. You can feel how the ball touches your Hinoki surface, and to goes back with a steady trajectory. The blocked ball moves in a stable way because the trajectory is higher and with good control. It will not be very aggressive, but you will feel comfortable as you hold and control the returning ball. I think this is very fascinating factor, and that's the true merit of Hinoki surface. This factor also comes from the first factor, which is its feels sticky.

Demerits of Hinoki

Yes, there are demerits in Hinoki. It's not a magic material. The first thing is, once you are accustomed to this material, you will no longer be comfortable with other materials because Hinoki has it's own distinctive swing trajectory. Using Hinoki will change your swing movement. This happens little by little over time. You will fold your upper arm faster, and will get better speed and impact, but the angle of the blade can be different from other playing surfaces. Your swing might become faster, but you will lose the general movement that many players think is fine. I can say this because I've experienced it while studying and comparing Hinoki to other materials. Another demerit will be price. Hinoki material is extremely expensive.

History of Hinoki

Most Korean and Japanese players used to play with Japanese penholder grip, and that style is totally different from normal shakehand users. The most popular blades were one-ply Hinoki, and if a player wanted to have enough speed, the bladed needed to be about 10mm thick. Therefore, the one-ply thick Hinoki plate was, and still is, needed for production. But if you use that Hinoki plate, then it needs to come from one tree trunk. It cannot be glued together from different pieces of different trees.

If you look closely at a piece of Hinoki material, there are vertical lines. Each line represents one year of growth, because it is made according to the speed of growth. When it's warm, it grows fast, but in winter, it's speed is slow. So, when it grows slowly, it yields a darker color, which results in darker lines.

Normally, one blade needs a width between 150~200 lines. If a tree is 100 years old, then it will have 200 lines; 100 lines from center to each other end. So, we can say that if we want to make a blade without joining pieces, then the mother tree needs to be at least 100. But it's not only about width. If a tree is 100 years old, then the blade will be soft and not very speedy. Young parts are softer and weaker, while old part are harder and more solid. If a blade is made from a big old tree, around 300~400 years old, then we can cut one blade from one part, and another in the middle, and the best one in the center. So, the width of the tree determines how we can get the Hinoki plate to make a table tennis blade. And one other important thing, old trees have more vibration, making the ball seem lighter when hit. Old trees also have less deviation than younger tree.

By the way, all those big old trees are reducing in numbers, so the price of raw materials is increasing steadily.

Hinoki blades can be categorized by several factors

( 1) Are they soft and weak? Or hard?

If they are soft, then they are from a young tree or from the inside of old tree. If they are from young tree, then their price can be cheaper, but if they are from old tree's center part, their price is priceless. But in fact, they are not very different. Actually, blades made from the inner part of a big old tree are almost the same as the one from small young tree.

Recently, the price of the blade from that old tree's center part is two or three times higher than several years' ago. But I think the difference is not very wide from the one cut from young tree, if we are making a several plies' shakehand blades. I mostly use that soft part for my blades. But still that material's price is very expensive compared with other surface material, and that's one reason that I cannot sell our hinoki surfaced product inexpensively.

There are several brands using American or Taiwanese Hinoki. Those Hinokies are inexpensive, and their characteristic is quite different from Japanese Hinoki. Taiwanese Hinoki is heavier than Japanese Kiso Hinoki, and the function is very different. In my own opinion, I don't think it's a good surface to use as a blade material.

(2) Do they have vertical lines with constant distance, or are lines getting wider in one direction?

If a material is cut exactly on the center, then the lines will get wider in both directions. If not, it should get wider from one side to the other. Normally, it's not easy to find all the lines keeping the same distance, because young parts close to the outer are wider, and also the part heading south grows wider than the part headed north. So, normally, a wooden ply cannot keep the same line width throughout the entire blade surface.

For many years, Korean players have known that narrower lines means a better blade, but I found that that’s not always correct. If the lines are narrow, then it means they are hard, which is not good for all-around play. If a player wants to have a big "bang impact," then the surface material must be kept modest.  If not, the ball does not stay on the blade which means there is no time to make a “bang impact.”

(3) Are they heavy or light?

I think you already know the answer. If the material from inner part or from younger trees, they tend to be light. Anyway, that's why expensive blades are light. Most expensive blades are cut from the inner part of an old tree, and they are soft and light. So, some brands are making them 10.5mm thick, not 10.0, because they need to cover that lightness with a light material.

(4) Are they brown or white?

Hinoki typically has it’s own range of color. Some are very white, and in that case, most blades are from the inner part. If Hinoki wood is brown, it’s probably from the outer part of a big tree, which is more expensive than the part from young tree. We can also guess it’s character by looking at it’s color.

3. How I designed Nexy's Hinoki surface blades

Ok, so far, I've reported general information about Hinoki blades, but the more important thing for me is how I design Nexy blades. I use expensive and qualified Japanese Hinoki materials on several of my blades. I will explain one by one, how I intended to make them:

DEXTER, HANNIBAL, COLOR, OSCAR

I prefer to use a soft Hinoki material. If I use a hard surface, then the overall specs will be different. But when I develop new blades, especially for Hinoki models, I try to demonstrate Nexy's character, which is harmonized and well-balanced.

With the soft material, I use a little thicker outer ply than other general Hinoki surface blades. In many cases, the Hinoki surface is about 0.5mm or thinner, which it's not easy to get a "bang impact" effect. If a thin Hinoki surface is capable of making a speedy topspin shot, then it will not guarantee enough "staying moment" needed for a "bang impact." So, I chose to use soft Hinoki, but thicker than 0.5mm, and I calculated in each blades how to harmonize that thickness with the other plies.

Among the 4 blades listed above, the Hinoki is softer for HANNIBAL and OSCAR. I use a very soft material for both, because I need to employ a better feeling into those blades, which are mixed with artificial materials.

If you look at most well-known Hinoki carbon blades, they are using a 0.5mm or 1.0mm Hinoki surface. But if it's 0.5mm, the ball is too bouncy; and if it's 1.0mm, you don't have good feeling onto your hand. But I solved these seemingly incompatible problems by using a soft, but thicker Hinoki, matching it with a secret light and bouncy center ply.

So, when you play with HANNIBAL, you will be surprised to know that this blade is very soft and it grabs the ball inwardly deep as well as very soft and light. With this softness, you can feel the balance between the fast carbon layer and soft touch of the Hinoki outer ply.

With OSCAR, I spent over a year and a half experimenting to ascertain an extreme natural feeling, which was not seemingly attainable with an arylate carbon ply. I studied every possibility by mixing and matching different thicknesses for the surface, and that was the time when I was sure that I decided to consummate the constitution of OSCAR as it is now. I used a thick, but not too thick play to help carry a good feeling and power needed for this well balanced blade.

Regarding DEXTER, I thought I would open my new brand with something surprising and outstanding — something much different from all other 5-ply blades — something impossible to overlook. So the result is the most speedy 5-ply Hinoki blade. If I used other material for DEXTER, then the blade will not be catching the ball enough to make spinny shots. But I chose Hinoki for the surface, you could make a spinny shots when you have a high impact.

By the way, I think if your swing movement is not as speedy as an average Asian player, then you will not be able to think that this blade has good spin. So, I thought I had to make another one with better spin and good balance, and that became the reason for my next blade COLOR, which became an attractive item for many players.

Ok, I think there could be a lot more to say, but it will be too much for me to write and for you to read. I will write more in the next article. If anything is unclear, or if you have any further questions, please let me know and I will do my best to respond.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 07/18/2010 at 11:25pm

No opinion about the upper writing?

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 07/19/2010 at 12:19am

HEAD SIZE

I'm quite sure most players haven't given the head size of their blade much thought. I rarely did. Whenever I bought a blade, I checked the thickness and the handle. If a blade is too thin, it vibrates a lot; if too thick, it lacks feeling. It's a big problem if a handle is not comfortable. Also, many players might have their own suitable or preferable weight. For example, some women, elderly, disabled, or injured players might prefer using a lighter blade.

So, the size of the head was the last thing I considered. But as a blade designer, I found out that it's an extremely important factor. You can do an experiment on your own with the blade you don't use. Just trim a small piece off any blade, and the feeling will be totally different. Even 1mm could make a big difference. It will not feel like it did before.

Not too long ago I checked out several new blades made by a well-known global brand. They looked really great and had impressive specifications, but I could not say that their blades would be successful, because the head size was cut for show, not performance. They were very fashionable and had a comfortable handle, but the feeling of the blade was not so promising. I could tell this by the head size alone.

Several European brand consider head size as a brand identity. They stick to their own head size and style. They try to keep that size as a representation of their character. But in the end, many of these promising blades become a short term fad. They cannot survive the test of time. This saddens me. I do want to claim that a blade's head size is not about brand identity at all. It should be related with each blade's function and character.

Ok, here are some basic guidelines that most of you will easily agree on . . .

Smaller head results in:

More vibration.

Hard and focused feeling.

More agility.

Good for close-to-the-table shots.

Not good away from the table.

Unstable for a big, slow stroke.

Good for short, fast movement (still not too stable).

Bigger head results in (there are very few blades with larger head size, except for defensive blades. So, I don't think I need to write about this, but I will still try to give some information. Anyway, most Chinese blades tend to be larger than blades from other countries, except for specialty blades).

Unwanted hollow feeling.

More vibration than a modest blade, but less than a smaller head size.

Uncomfortable swing movement.

Easy control and stability, but not agile.

Actually, I know many Chinese companies, and most them are making their blades the same size of Stiga blades. But they cannot are not the same because they clearly trace the head size Stiga blades by using a pencil and paper. This naturally causes their design to be slightly larger than original, especially the round part where the pencil automatically moves in a wider circle.

If they cut the head the same size as Stiga's, then would still they have some problems because the handle size cannot be the same as the original blade. Therefore, it would not be balanced correctly or comfortable. Regardless, I think there would still be a wide gap between the original and the copy due to the sensitive character of blades -- very small variations make big differences that are felt by players. That's table tennis!

Based on my experience, whenever I design, I focus on balance, which means:

Weight between head and handle.

Modest vibration.

Great feeling.

Overall weight balance, which is related to the sweet spot.

Due to these factors that are related to balance, I think most of Nexy blades are very well balanced. I've never heard of any criticism about the balance of Nexy blades, and I will do my best to keep it that way!

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: ejmaster
Date Posted: 07/19/2010 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

HEAD SIZE

I'm quite sure lots of people don't think much of this.
It was the same for me.
Whenever I buy a blade, I checked the thickness, and handle.
If the handle is not comfortable, then it's a big problem.
And if a blade is too think, it vibrates a lot.
And too thick, it has less feeling.

So, size of the head was the last thing I counted.
But as a blade designer, I found out it's extremely imortant factor.
You can do experiment on your own, with the blade you don't use.

Just cut some part, like in one blade, each side, and in the other blade, the top part, and also you can cut the whole head.
If you just cut one mm, then the total feeling will be very different.

You will not feel it's the same as before.

Recently, I saw several blades made from a new brand.
They are well known global brand, and they were really great in all details, let alone good designs in all things.
But regarding blades, I could not say that they would be successful.
Because they cut the head size only as they wanted to show.
It looks nice, very comfortable handle, and fashionable.
But the feeling of that blade was not so promising.
I could tell it only by looking at the head size.

Lots of European brand thinks of head size as a brand identity.
They stick to their own head size and style.
They try to keep that size as their character.
But in the end..... most of promising blades are becoming short term fad.
They can not survive in the long term.
I'm really sorry for this.
I do want to say that blade's head size is not abour brand identity at all.
It should be related with each blade's function and character.

Ok, here I will give some basic rule you can easily agree on.

1. Smaller head results it....

(1) bigger vibration.

(2) hard and focusing feeling

(3) more agilgity

(4) good for close-to-the- table shots

(5) bad play away from the table

(6) unstability with big and slow movement

(7) good for short and fast movement (still not much stable)

2. Bigger head results in....

(Normally, there are few blades with bigger head size, except for defensive blades.
  So, I don't think I need to write about this.
  But I will just try to give some information.
  Any way, lots of Chinese blades are bigger than normal other country's blades.)

(1) hollow feeling in a bad way

(2) bigger vibration than modest blade, (but less than smaller head size, I guess)

(3) uncomfortable swing movement

(4) easy control and stability, but not agile

Actually, I know lots of Chinese companies, and most companis are making their blades the same size of Stiga blade. But they can not be the same. Because when they draw the head size of Stiga blade by using pencil on the paper, they naturally make most part slightly bigger than original one, specially round part, where pencil automatically moves in the bigger circle than the original blade.

If they had cut the same size as Stiga's one, then still they have some problem left. Because the handle size can not be the same with the orignal blade, so still they have some part uncomfortable.

Any way, I think there still exist wide gap between the original one and copied one, due to the sensitive character of blades.
Very small variation makes people feel widely different, that's table tennis.

By the way, from my experience, now I'm focusing on balance of each blade, whenever I design.
The balance means,

(1) weight between head and handle

(2) modest vibration

(3) good feeling

(4) overall weight balance, which is related with sweet spot

All those things are related with balance.

Due to these factors, I think most of Nexy blades are well balanced.
I've never heard of any criticism about wrong balance related with Nexy blades, and I think I will keep on doing this way.

Right.

The shape of the blade is very important. However some manufacturers do not pay attention to it.
Everything is related in a blade. Thickness, balance, handle, performance and blade head shape.

I had the chance to test the spear and i realized the design payed attention to it.

I also had the experience about changing the design of the handle because the head blade shape went to different torsional strength in the neck. Even the handle design may need to be different.

Shape wings in an aircraft are also determined because torsion and flex resistance. Concorde aircraft wings shape is not the best from aerodynamics point of view but also in a balance about torsion and flex resistance.     

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Date Posted: 08/16/2010 at 5:04am
Today, I'm gladly introduce a new item to you.
This is a new bag designed by NEXY team, named "PNEWMA".
I hope this bag appeals for you.

Here are some more details for you.
You can watch how it holds so many things in so many different places.

http://nexy.com/goods/images/20100816053804cont2.jpg">
You can meet the bag here.

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1161 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1161

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1161 -  

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: DaHobbit
Date Posted: 08/16/2010 at 8:42am
Those bags look great!

-------------
Zhang Jike and Li Ping and Ma Long fan!

Blade: Xiom Fuga FL
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2
BH: Donic Coppa JO Gold 2.0

Posted By: wyatt
Date Posted: 08/16/2010 at 9:12am
Great Bags Clap

wish I had oneLOL how much is it?

-------------
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0

Date Posted: 08/16/2010 at 1:27pm
Goddamn my internet :(

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2010 at 1:28pm
It would be great if size of the bag would have been shown ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 08/17/2010 at 2:18am
The size is below.

570 x 320 x 230 mm

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: thethinker
Date Posted: 08/20/2010 at 3:46am
Playing with my NEXY Oscar I took a look at the lines of the hinoki. I noticed all my NEXY blades that 1)the hinoki are pretty white and 2) they are placed to favor right-handed players. The hinoki are placed so that the lines are tighter from the left to the right for forehand, as you hold one of the rackets on your right hand. The backhand would be also favoring the right handed player by the same token.

Date Posted: 08/20/2010 at 10:09pm

Dear thethinker,

I really respect your professional knowledge.

Yes, the honoki wood used for my blades are white woods.
This white color means that they are soft honoki.
I prefer soft material to hard one.
Personally, I think soft wood can be attractive if jointed with enough speed.
But if that soft surface is too thick, then the feeling can be too smooth.
So, balance is needed when you joint soft hinoki.

Therefore, most my blades are using soft wood with speedy material, carbon or sprus.

Regarding the lines of honoki, lines are wider, if the part is close to the center of the wood, or if the tree is young.
And also that part is located southward.

Anyway, most Hinoki has to have wider or narrower part.
And mixing those part depends on production.

As for me, I don't care much.
From my experience, the mythology about lines seem not much strong factor on the fuction of the blade.
It's not only about lines, but about age of a tree, color, inner or outer part, souther or nothern....so many complicated factors are influencing.

So, considering those all things, if I really want to take care of those lines to fit left or right handed play style, it will be to much.

I feel sorry to tell you this truth, so I don't care much about lines.

But I do care about softness....the basic character of the material.

With thanks, ~~~ ^^

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 08/21/2010 at 12:50am

the Second Wave for NEXY blade design.

If I can use he term "wave" for the designing work of Nexy, then I can categorize my nexy blades into two different waves.

The first wave's core topic was Hinoki surface.

I found out that Hinoki had lots of attractions, but most other brands did not know it how to maximize that good attraction harmonized with other traditional blade compositions.
If we select one traditional 5-ply or carbon contruction, and only change the surface from Limba or Koto to hinoki, then we can not make full use of Hinoki's good character.

So, I thought there could be some room that I can show how Nexy can be diferent from other brands.

It took 3 years to complete that study.

I released many kinds of Hinoki surface blades, and I loved all of them.
They are very characteristic in their own ways in all things.

Dexter :  the fastest among 5-ply hinoky surface blades, without any artificial material.

Hannibal :  smooth and well balanced hinoki carbon blades, good for short pimple out rubber attackers, too.

Oscar : well balanced, and very natural feeling, computerized blocking- very well organized arylate carbon blade.

Color : moderated 5-ply hinoki surface blade from Dexter. beautiful hamony in all things.

Iskandar, Temujin : Hinoki one-ply J-pens.

After releasing these hinoki surface blades...

I found out that I have to try something new.

And I started to move somewhere else.
That direction goes the other end of the road, where most other brands did not try.

After speed gluing banned, most global brands thought that they had to find out some blades faster and stronger.
So, they tried to find some material harder for the surface, and they made the blades thicker.
Or else, they release lots of new blades inserted with fast artificial layers.

But for me, I did not think that way.
If a blade become faster, it loses something in the other hand.
That could be spin or control.

Sepcially regarding spin, if we can energite more spin, it becomes more power and speed.
So, once we can make bigger spin on the ball, then the initial speed of a blade can not be mettered much.

Here comes the factor which changed my blade design concept from Hinoki material into some other direction.
That's how the second wave of nexy blade desing occur.

If I want to make more spin, then what will be the needed chracter of a blade?
It was quite simple.
Two factors.

The next generation blade should promise two things.

1. longer staying moment (guaranteeing good "bang impact")

2. embracing the ball into the blade (I will call it "embracing feeling")

Number 1 is simple factor. So you don't need more explanation.
But number 2 is not easy to understand. I'm not sure how to express that character in Englsih, either.

By the way, if I explain it by examples, then you can compare Koto surface and Limba surface.
Koto does not embrace the ball compared with Limba.
But most limba blades feel that they embrace the ball deep into their chest.

This feeling is very diferent from Hinoki surface.
Hinoki feeling does not relate to the inside of a blade.
It's sticky feeling stays only on the surface.
But embracing feeling means that blade seems to embrace the ball into it.

So, I tried to find the way to make bigger embracing feeling and longer staying moment.

The first result came out as SPEAR.
And my second result is about to come out as "LISSOM".

Lots of good players tested Lissom in Korea.

Their first response is being amazed by that embracing feeling, just like SPEAR.
And their second response is how this blade is that light.
It's because they are only 5.7mm.

Any way... I can not tell you all the secerts about LISSOM here.
But I think you will know what is the result of that second wave sooner or later.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 08/22/2010 at 11:58pm
C-pen design

While designing several nexy blades, I made a big change about C-pen size.
I used to make it 157*148, but recently my C-pens are 159*150mm.
I think if I explain why this change happened, then you will come to know a lot about C-pen's distinctive character.

Lots of people were influenced by top chinese players' magnificent C-PEN players, because they were so powerful on the TV broadcated worldwide including olympic games.
Even in Korea, lots of people are now moving from J-pen to C-pen.
They think J-pen has a fatal weakness on back hand side, but changing into shake hand is too much for them.
Actually, I also changed from J-pen to shake hand, and it took many years to learn back hand sroke and loop.
I think lot's of good training for J-pen worked against learning new way of shake hand for me.

Compared with shake hand blade, C-pen looks easier to change from J-pen, and lots of Korean players are trying it.
It will be a different story from normal shake hand to C-pen users in Europe or America.
When you move from shake hand to C-pen, then you will not feel much differance about weight.
But when you are moving from J-pen to C-pen, added weight becomes a big trouble.

When you play with J-pen, you use only one rubber on one side.
So, the weight becomes pretty bigger when you attach two rubbers on C-pen.

Heavier weight is also troublesome for ex-shake hand players, too.
Becuase now they have to handle all the weight on the fingers fingers and wrist, not on palm.

And in both cases, you will feel that you lost some power, because most J-pen is thicker than c-pen, and most shake hand blades are using effectively the whole elbow and arm.

So, it will take quite a time to get used to this trouble.
Once you overcome this weight problem, then the second problem will be less power.

Most J-pen users play with big powerful shot.
They tend to play for it.
Once they have a chance, they don't expect to hit returning ball.
So, they are focusing on one big shot.

But with C-pen, that big shot is not easy.
Rather, they need to get accustomed to long rallies.

So, then they try to find which blade can make good spin and constant looping.

When I design new C-pen blades, I tried to handle these problems, and my first solution came as a smaller head size. I tested how small I can make a blade.
And some of my blades were 157*148.

By the way, while I keep that size, I could get reviews from Korean players.
They were generally satisfied with that size.
But several top players wanted to have bigger head size, because they wanted more power.

(Actually when you change the size, it's not only about power. It affects all details.)

So, for my recent two blades, Lissom and Spear, I decided to make the head size of them into 160*150.
With these size, I think C-pen players can enjoy well balaced weight and good power together.

Specially with my LISSOM, the 5.7 thickness will make players feel easier to play with.
Their fingers will feel smaller pressure due to it's thin thickness.

Thank you.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 2:36am

I will wirte more about this blade later.
This is not the final version, but very close to the final one.
And I think some people might notice what's the uniqueness of this blade.

If you can see what will be the character of this new blade, then please, leave a note here, and I will comment on those.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: peter79
Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 2:51am
Mr moon, is that Lissom?

-------------
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 2:56am
I add two more pictures.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 3:04am
Oh, It's Labyrinth LOL
Wow very nice handle design and the ST seems big and comfortable Wink
Any pictures of lissom? Thanks for sharing...

-------------
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 3:08am

I will post Lissom pictures very soon here. Just wait a little more. Big smile

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 3:45am

Here are the pictures of newly born LISSOM.

I wish all people here felt something intersting from these pictures.
There must be some more than what your eyes meet here.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 4:45am
Wow looks awsome Mr Moon!!!!!
Please keep the Heaviest one FL and ST for me, thanks for your effort and help Big smile

-------------
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Posted By: nicefrog
Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 4:53am
Labrinthos looks like a LP players dream blade

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 09/02/2010 at 11:09am
Don't tell the dozen Over 50 pushblockers in our club about the Labyrinthos.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 09/11/2010 at 12:50am
Blade Structure and possible hitting area.

I think each blade has it's own character.
Every blade is different.
And it's not easy to say what character will be ideal for all the people.
So, I can not say that my specific blade is good for all the people.
But I can discriminate my blades that which is different from some other blades in what point.

Here it is.

If you look at the picture I drew in the upper space, you can see what's the difference between when you are close to the table and away from the table.
From this simple comparison, the difference seems not very wide.

But if I add some other factor, the angle of blade, then the difference becomes pretty wider.

If you look at the second picture, you will be fascinated.
if only you can come close to the table, and if only you can make wider angle with your wrinkle and blade, then the course of your ball can be extremly wider.

But there lies one trick.

If you want to make the ball goes that close to the net on the opponent's table, then the ball has to make a very high curve.
I mean if the ball goes only straight with big speed, then you can not make use of this attractive close to the net space, deadly weapon, because it passes through  not touching the table, due to it's high speed.

So, I councluded that spinny but slow, with high curve ball has definately big power.
If the ball has high curve, then the ball goes high enough to go over the net, even though the shot was done close to the table, or even on the table, and if the ball has big spin and not very speedy, then the ball goes downward rapidly, making deadly painful attack onto the opponents' space.

Therefore, I always think how I can make that effect on some blades, and for some other blades how I can make longer trajectory, by which we can make the opponent stay away little by little, until he loses one point.

Bsically, these two good factors are not possible to be attainable in one blade.

I mean if a blade wants to have a powerful long trajectory, usually ball goes very high with steady height, and it's not possible to make a close to the net landing.

In the other hand, if a blade has so good spin and control, that we should make deadly short landing close to the net on the opponent's table, then it must not have very powerful long looping.

Therefore, people decide what they like.

Some people choose ALL blades.
Some others choose OFF blades.

For an example, among my blades, DEXTER has very long and powerful trajctory.
But color has very versatile ways.
Those two blades can be examplary for this theory.

By the way, I started to think that why these two factors can not be compatible?
Why do we have to choose one and discard the other?

That was the point I started to think about my "SECOND WAVE".

In the recent writing, I explained what is 'second wave' for nexy.
But it's not only about how to make a blade has embracing feelings.

I thought that I can separate the blade's function extremely different when we want to hit the ball with full power, from when we want to make it slow but spinny.
If must depend on the surface feelings.

If you hit the ball with full power, the ball goes deep into the bone of the blade, therefore, if I want to make the returning ball very powerful, then I had to prepare something very powerful inside.

On the contrary, if I want to make a ball very spinny, slow and controllable, when we hit the ball with care, then the blade has to keep very soft and embracing feeling on to the surface.

This is the core factor I kept until today, why I try to start "the second wave".

Now I'm waiting how people response to this chracter, which I maximized with Lissom.
I tried to make use of this character also with SPEAR, but spear seems little bit more honest.
But Lissom is very cunning.
It's mysterious chracter will make you laugh, or at least smile.

Please, check how you feel, and leave a reveiw!!

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/18/2010 at 2:09am
Hello, guys...

Today, I found out that Butterfly's price in Korea stays the same, while in all other country it has become more expensive.
So, you can buy one Tenergy in my http://www.nexy.com - www.nexy.com site with USD 53.
(Yes, you need to pay for the extra delivery fee, which is not small, though.)

Any way, if you had any NEXY blade and Tenergy in your mind, please, buy one before the Butterfly price in Korean market get risen.

By the way, until next week Friday, Korean people celebrates harvest festival, so the delivery will start on Saturday morning or on Monday only. Any way, this will be a good chance.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 09/18/2010 at 11:12am
I believe blades are best when they are stiff on the inside with a soft surface.

Date Posted: 09/19/2010 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I believe blades are best when they are stiff on the inside with a soft surface.
To be more deatiled in design, still the problem remails here; in what depth that stiffness will come, and how deep that soft surface will go in.
Any way, Lissom's surface is hard material, but jointed with very soft inside, so, the overall feeling will be soft. And inside, you can meet that stiff feeling.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 09/19/2010 at 8:08am
NEXY released a new Japanese 9mm Hinoki one ply blade.

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1168 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1168

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: rawrtje
Date Posted: 09/19/2010 at 12:35pm
Beautiful!

Date Posted: 09/30/2010 at 12:50am

Today, I'm very happy to delivery this news.

I've been saving some money personally, and also I've been saving 3 USD per each sales of Nexy blades.
This money became some, and now I start to search where I use this money.

When I started to sell SPEAR, I decided to use the first some for African people lack of water.
And I've been in serach of right place and right person to help me.
During these days, I came to know that the person I've been friends with in my church is not from America, but from Tanzania. It will be strange for some people, but as for me, I could not feel the difference much between Tanzania English and American English. Maybe his English was little more americanized..whatever.

Anyway, so I was surprised at the news. Because I've been thinking to help Tanzania among many countries, but I did not know I can meet one person from that country in Korea.
He is a student in Korea, and he connected me to the pastor living in Tanzania.
And that's how I could get these pictures, and get to this specific area.

Here is the letter from the pastor.

This village name is Mahaka, in Manyoni District
They suffer a lot for the absence of water,working a long distance or using animals to carry some for them, there is an Elementary school in that village as well. 
It will be of a great help to be able to get Water near them. 
Personally,am thankful to God and you for the passionate of water supply in my country. 

And here are several pictures I could get.
I'm not sure how much money will be needed, but I will check more and start very carefully.

These pictures are showing how people get water.
I don't know if they are the most needed people or not, but I just want to start now, and I will learn more and help more, as long as Nexy goes.

People and maybe the school?

This is the picture of possible well place.
I don't know much about it, but I think there are some grass, perhaps that's why they choose this place.
I wish this can be done without big hardship.

Please, keep praying for this project.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 10/01/2010 at 3:15am
SPECAIL PRICE EVENT

Hello everyone...

I'm running http://www.nexy.com - http://www.nexy.com site about 6 months now.
I think my site is good place to search new products and take a look at many good products.
But when you meet a new site, it's not easy to order something, because it's not familiar.

Therefore, now I'm going to run a very special discount event for possible new customers.
I found out people are pressured about high expense on delivery fee, even though they like my blades.
So, I decided to give a specialy discount for all tenergy rubbers, by which they can save some money for that.
If you buy Nexy blades, then you can buy Tenergy rubbers per one with 45 usd.
I don't know how long I can keep this special price, but I just expect people can learn how to use my site by making use of this special price season.
So, thie event is a kind of opening promotion.

I think at least I will keep this event for one month.
After one month, I can not gaurantee I will keep on this special price or not.

So, please, have a look at my site~~!!

Ikarus with Tenergy (45 USD)
http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=584 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=584
Review: http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32660&KW=nexy - http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32660&KW=nexy
Blade design history : http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12744 - http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12744

Spear with Tenergy (45 USD)
http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1158 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1158
Review: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35268 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35268

Color with Tenergy (45 USD)
http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=582 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=582
Review : http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30446 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30446

Lissom with Tenergy (45USD)
http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1162 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1162
Review : http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36508 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36508

By the way, I'm planning to run this event with more blades and more rubbers.
So, please keep visiting...and you will meet more blades and rubbers with special price.
Please, be friends with NEXY.COM
I hope with this special price event I can get more friends of Nexy.com soon.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 10/01/2010 at 11:04pm
Please, visit this page.

http://www.nexy.com/shop/step_theme.php - http://www.nexy.com/shop/step_theme.php

I will add some more blades and rubbers.
On Monday, you can meet Stiga's rosewood/ ebenholz/ CC together with 45 USD Tenergy and 20 USD Boost.

And Dawei's Inspirit Quattro rubbers will be on with half price also.

One more thing....

If you meet any kind of inconvinience while using nexy.com, please, leave a note in this thread.
I really welcome it.
We tried to make it internationally acceptable, but Korean programmers don't have much experience about this global shopping mall, and I'm keeping fixing it.

So, please, leave any kind of comments which will help my site.

With thanks in advance...

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 10/05/2010 at 4:21am
Meet Lissom tester's movie clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pyElkHqzUY - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pyElkHqzUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3hDbTmDNg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3hDbTmDNg

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 10/07/2010 at 11:11pm
This is a movie clip done by Korean tester using LABYRINTHOS.
I hope you can see how Labyrinthos works.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: Jolan
Date Posted: 10/07/2010 at 11:25pm
So funny ! I like the clip, thank you for sharing, Nexy. Notice the large smile comming on the guy with the red shirt' s face. The more the looper guy sweats, the larger the smile is. Maybe I should play the Labyrinthos like the guy in red and all my tendinosis problems would fade away ? Looks like to be a very relaxed game, isn't ?

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9" rel="nofollow - https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Date Posted: 10/07/2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

So funny ! I like the clip, thank you for sharing, Nexy. Notice the large smile comming on the guy with the red shirt' s face. The more the looper guy sweats, the larger the smile is. Maybe I should play the Labyrinthos like the guy in red and all my tendinosis problems would fade away ? Looks like to be a very relaxed game, isn't ?

^_^  Yes, it looks that way.

I like his style. He is a good players, and he is very accurate when he judges a blade.
He told me that I can make a big success with Labyrinthos, bigger than any other well known long pimple blade brand.
I hope he is right.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 11/17/2010 at 8:23am
I've been away from this thread for a while.

But I will soon come back again with many other new blades and rubber items.

By the way, I could think of a new concept of my brand identity.
Please, check these two advertisements I prepared for my Korean market.
I hope you like them.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: arg0
Date Posted: 11/17/2010 at 8:31am
I like the second one very much, except that, IMHO, there are too many colours in the text "instictive creation". Also unsure about the need for Title Case. Just my two cents.
How does the Korean text translate into English?

-------------
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the forum_posts.asp?TID=47778" rel="nofollow - Nexy Clan !
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Date Posted: 11/17/2010 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I like the second one very much, except that, IMHO, there are too many colours in the text "instictive creation". Also unsure about the need for Title Case. Just my two cents.
How does the Korean text translate into English?
This is an advertisement for Korean people, and the title is the web site for Korean people.
I think I will make another ones for international market, soon.

Thank you for the nice comment.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 11/18/2010 at 1:38am

NEXY
Your game in peace.

HARMONY
Nexy, the game and you.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 11/18/2010 at 4:16pm
I like both pics - second one shows some true inspiration. Good luck!

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 11/19/2010 at 5:24am
If your product or business is in "Naver" (a google like operation in Korea that has rediculous large market share), then it is simply a must to mention it in your marketing. It is the Korean way these days. Many of the TV/cable ads include this. Naver is available everywhere and people desire a simple to access more stuff about the outfit or product - it is the currrent cool thing. In USA,  mentioning how to quickly access your main products via Google or Yahoo on the botom of the ad isn't exactly an appealing thing to do at the moment.

As an example of how good naver listing was, I recently had to have a one week class at another camp and I tried to look up the only TT club in the villiage outside the gate of Camp Humphreys (a town called Anjungri). Google didn't give me a clue and it was hard to get it from Daum (Another major search engine and forum host), yet the first hit from a search on Naver forums showed me exactly where the club was. I got there right away the first time and had a blast at that club there. made a pile of new friends. This would have been mighty difficult to do on short notice a decade ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/01/2010 at 3:01am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

If your product or business is in "Naver" (a google like operation in Korea that has rediculous large market share), then it is simply a must to mention it in your marketing. It is the Korean way these days. Many of the TV/cable ads include this. Naver is available everywhere and people desire a simple to access more stuff about the outfit or product - it is the currrent cool thing. In USA,  mentioning how to quickly access your main products via Google or Yahoo on the botom of the ad isn't exactly an appealing thing to do at the moment.

As an example of how good naver listing was, I recently had to have a one week class at another camp and I tried to look up the only TT club in the villiage outside the gate of Camp Humphreys (a town called Anjungri). Google didn't give me a clue and it was hard to get it from Daum (Another major search engine and forum host), yet the first hit from a search on Naver forums showed me exactly where the club was. I got there right away the first time and had a blast at that club there. made a pile of new friends. This would have been mighty difficult to do on short notice a decade ago.
Yes, BH-man. You are right.

By the way, I missed you in my tak9.com tourney.
But I think we can manage to find some other time to meet together.

Sooner or later, I will release another new blade, Labyrinthos.
It will be for Long Pimple users, so you will not be much interested in.
But it will be attractive for people in ooak site.

Take care, God bless you~~!!

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/03/2010 at 10:03pm
Hello, my friends...

Long time no talk.
I feel very sorry for not visiting here this long.

Any way, I've been very busy with new blade production.
Yes, Labyrinthos is coming up with it's final sexy face, very soon.
I hope labyrinthos can appeal for many people here.

And I have another good news.

If you have seen the movie clip posted in this thread, then you would know that "LISSOM" blade is also good for modern defender.
It was the same feedback in Korea.
Several modern defenders asked for special LISSOM with bigger size.
So, I finally made this.

This LISSOM special version blade has bigger face.
Lissom's basic feature; "to embrace the ball deep into it's chest" stays inside.
And powerful fore hand looping is no need to say again.

So, I think this blade will be very competitive to most good defensive style blades.
Please, check the information here.

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1198 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1198

P.S :

Is there any person who is interested in Nittaku Acoustic L-size?

I have two ones with special price.
They were tested for only several hours, and no damage on them.

Please, check them in the below linked page.

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1189 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1189

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1188 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1188

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: Anton Chigurh
Date Posted: 12/03/2010 at 10:11pm
Nexy: Could you please explain a little about the Yinhe blades that are for sale on your site? There is no information about them... but they may be the most beautiful blades I've ever seen in my life! Shocked

Very expensive, though. Ouch

(Also, your Laurel blade is absolutely gorgeous! Clap)

-------------
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Nexy: Could you please explain a little about the Yinhe blades that are for sale on your site? There is no information about them... but they may be the most beautiful blades I've ever seen in my life! Shocked

Thank you for the inquiry.

There are plenty kinds, and I have few information from the company.
But I tested several good blades.
Do you have anything in your mind?
Maybe I can leave some comments on them.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 8:37am
I think he was referring to the Wenge series, because he said they are very beautiful!
Why are they so expensive? because Wenge, being a Rosewood, is expensive/difficult to use?
What are the special playing characteristics of these blades?

Sorry for the off-topic, but I am interested, too. Maybe we should open another thread for Yinhe Wenge blades.

EDIT: Just saw one already exists: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36971 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36971

-------------

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

There are plenty kinds, and I have few information from the company.
But I tested several good blades.
Do you have anything in your mind?
Maybe I can leave some comments on them.

I am most curious about the Wenge 50 and Wenge 70. Any information you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: hungga
Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 4:28pm
That Lissom Aegis got 6 plies?

-------------
:: EJ level 1 ::

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by hungga hungga wrote:

I count 7.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 4:38pm

I count 7.

There's no distinct separation on the FH (the topmost ply in the picture) side like on BH one . There're 2 plies on FH, the core and 3 plies after that with the one BH face is the thinnest.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 4:52pm
Oh well, it's clearly 7 ply if I look at it from the metal emblem on the handle side.

-------------

Posted By: yearlytaxforms
Date Posted: 12/04/2010 at 7:20pm
Wow, you make beautiful blades. If I woulda known about your company when I made my purchase I definitely woulda chose you. My next blade will definitely be from you. By the way... your emblem looks like a marijuana plant, I don't care but other might. Once again... I am definitely impressed.

-------------
TG7-AS c-pen
f: H3 neo
b: Globe 999 quattro 2.3

Date Posted: 12/05/2010 at 3:58am

Oh well, it's clearly 7 ply if I look at it from the metal emblem on the handle side.
This is 7 ply blade.
The structure of this blade is the same with LISSOM.
But this has bigger head.

The reason I make this blade is because modern defensive style players in Korea really liked to play with my LISSOM.
They asked me to make special big sise LISSOM.
That's the reason I made this blade.

Here is one video clip.
The player is using original size LISSOM.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/05/2010 at 4:01am

WENGE is also spicy blade in Korea.
People wants to test it, but it's too expensive.

As far as I know, WENGE blades are not easy to make.
The wood is very damp, and it release oily liquid for long years.
And also very hard to cut.
So, YINHE took some years to find the way to make use of this wood material.

Regarding nano carbon tech, I think it's not much to be interested in.
It's only cabon pouder mixed in the glue between plys.

Any way, they are really great blades.
I'm also testing one my own.
I like it.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/05/2010 at 4:13am

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/05/2010 at 4:22am
Labyrinthos will come to NEXY.com very soon.

I think this blade will be a big hit.
I did all ideal things I can do for this OX defender blade.

Fore hand side - TWO limba plys

back hand side : one koto ply

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/06/2010 at 2:22am

Well project in Africa

Here are several pictures.
The first survey was done.
And the site seems to have a rock, and the expense will be huge.
So, now we checked some other places, and finally found a good site.

By the way, these pictures are from the first survey.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: metallikviper
Date Posted: 12/06/2010 at 9:31am
Nexy,

I have 2 questions for you regarding blade design:

1. I was one of the tester for Nexy Ikarus and throughly enjoyed playing with it. I passed it around to some of my club mates and the LP OX blockers really liked it. How much different is the Labyrinthos from the Nexy Ikarus and what is the blade size specification. Also what is the construction of the blade.

2. I currently use defensive blades and have always been longing for a better FH. I played with the Violin and really liked the feel but hated the vibrations. How does the Lissom Aegis feel in comparison and what is it's size specification? Did you change the construction of the blade from the Lissom to the Aegis. As soon as I save some money I'll be in the market for the Lissom.

-------------
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm

Date Posted: 12/07/2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by metallikviper metallikviper wrote:

Nexy,

I have 2 questions for you regarding blade design:

1. I was one of the tester for Nexy Ikarus and throughly enjoyed playing with it. I passed it around to some of my club mates and the LP OX blockers really liked it. How much different is the Labyrinthos from the Nexy Ikarus and what is the blade size specification. Also what is the construction of the blade.

- Thank you for your work for testing IKARUS.
   labyrinthos : 155 x 165 mm
   Ikarus : 150 x 159mm

Construction : Ikarus - koto / balsa / carbon / balsa / balsa - koto
                           Labyrinthos - Limba / Limba / balsa / carbon / balsa / balsa / koto

Differences : There are big big big....differences between them.
                       Ikarus is made for the OX attacker.
                       Labyrinthos is made for the OX blocker.
                       Labyrinthos has slower speed than Ikarus on it's back hand side.

Ikarus is good when you play attacking shots close to the net.
                       But not very good at blockng powerful looping.
                       But Labyrinthos has better stabbility toward loopings.

2. I currently use defensive blades and have always been longing for a better FH. I played with the Violin and really liked the feel but hated the vibrations. How does the Lissom Aegis feel in comparison and what is it's size specification? Did you change the construction of the blade from the Lissom to the Aegis. As soon as I save some money I'll be in the market for the Lissom.

Lissom Aegis is good for traditional defender or modern defender.
 It's very comfortable from away, and makes immense power shot away from the table, for chopping and aslo for loopiong.

But if has small vibration with OX close to the table, as ikarus or labyrinthos.
So, I think this blade is good for chopper, with pimple out rubbers together with sponge.

The structure of Lissom Aegis is the same with Lissom, but it has different handle.
Because I changed the sweet spot for bigger size.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 11:34pm
Dear fellow players!! (Hopefully from all over the world~!!)

Here I have a news!!
It's about my nexy site's spcial discount promotion, celebrating Christmas!!
Please, have a look at it.

Merry Christmas !

Nexy opened a new discount page for Chrismas
Please, have a look at this page.

http://www.nexy.com/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20101209043624 - http://www.nexy.com/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20101209043624

New items will be updated more into that page.

I'm planning to insert Stiga shoes into that page tomorrow.
And you will meet Tenergy with USD 50 only until Christmas.
Enjoy NEXY's special discount event~!!

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/11/2010 at 12:04am
Finally.... Labyrinthos is out in the market.
Please, have a look at it.
This is very creative in many ways.

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 12/13/2010 at 1:05am
How I developed LABYRINTHOS

This is a production note of "Labyrinthos".
I wrote it in Korean first, so here I will try to translate it into Enlgish.
I hope this kind of translation will help your understanding of the whole concept about Labyrinthos, without losing any small part I wrote in Korean report.

라비린토스 블레이드에 대해서는 뭔가 제대로 된 제작 후기를 올려볼 가치가 있는 듯 해서 작심하고 글을 적습니다.

I made up my mind to write something about Labyrinthos, for I think this blade deserves it quite a lot. 

"넥시"라는 브랜드가 갖는 독특성이 있다면 그것은 무엇일지, 또 무엇이어야 하는지에 대해서 매우 자주 생각합니다. 비록 좋은 제품을 만든다고 하더라도 넥시만이 갖는 넥시적인 것을 유지하지 못한다면 브랜드로서의 생명, 가치 같은 것들은 유지되기 어렵겠지요.

I think much about what NEXY means, and what it must mean.
If it's only about making something good, then it would not inevitably mean that it has to be NEXY.
Nexy has to keep somthing NEXY, and only then NEXY will survive as it is in the market, and also in the people's understandings, which is the only way to make it successful as a unique brand.

또한 적어도 한국 시장에서 인정받는 제품이 세계 제일의 제품이라는 그런 자부심을 이어 가려면 철저하게 연구 분석되고 인내와 절제에 의해 가치가 존중 되어야 한다는 생각을 항상 합니다.

Besides it has to outgrow what is generally accepted "OK" in the global market, then I can make people believe that something good in Korean market can be also good in the international market.

외관이나 구성 등이 타사 제품을 그대로 따라 했다는 생각은 들지만 그것보다는 가격이 싸서 구매할 수 있다는 그런 어설픈 따라하기 브랜드와 같아져서도 안 될 것이고, 후발 주자인 만큼 선발 주자들의 장단점을 분석하여 더 나은 제품을 만들어야 한다는 부담감 및 이점이 있으되 단순히 더 나은 제품에서 머무르지 말고 다른 제품, 독특한 제품, 흉내낸 점이 없는 창의적인 제품이어야 한다는 생각이 제 마음 속에는 항상 지배적입니다.

Nexy must not copy or follow other brands in any form, even it's only about shape, and must not appeal for people with cheaper price only. As a beggining new brand, NEXY has to study all past products, but can not stay there, and has to exceed what others could not attain easily. It can only be unique and new, if it really wants to go further than somewhere others reached. 

이번에 제작된 라비린토스 블레이드는 그런 점에서 매우 독특한 하나의 컨셉을 수년간 이어온, 그러므로 가장 넥시적인 블레이드라고 말할 수 있을 법하다고 생각합니다.

바로 카본층 한겹을 블레이드의 3분의 1 지점에 삽입하는 방식인데요, 예전에 주인백님과 같이 공동작업 할 때 블레이드의 형상과 손잡이 디자인은 주인백님께서 했지만 블레이드 전체 두께와 구성 형태는 제가 직접 디자인해서 티바에 넘겨 주었지요.

In this point, LABYRINTHOS remains very unique and ceative in many aspects.
In the beginning, it starts with unique location of a carbon layer.
I, as a nexy designer, tried to locate one carbon layer one third of the blade, and this is the fifth blade ever done as such with this one third location.
I will show other four blades in the below.

그 당시 가장 많이 고민했던 것이 바로 백핸드와 포핸드 면을 어떻게 차등지어 줄 것인가 였습니다. 후일담이지만 이런 형태의 한장짜리 카본 블레이드, 특히 그 위치가 치우쳐져 있는 블레이드는 제작이 대단히 어렵습니다. 그 이유는 아래와 같습니다.

When I first designed this kind of OX blade, it was my main concern how to differentiate fore hand side from back hand side.
But this kind of structure is really hard to make. Here are the reasons. 

1. 불균형성 : 블레이드 양측이 다르게 조합될 때 불량률이 매우 높습니다. 물리적으로 설명드릴 제주는 없습니다만 양측이 다르게 접합되면 접착면이 일어나거나 변형될 확률이 높아서 일반적으로 이런 방식의 제조를 거의하지 않습니다.

1. Uncompatibilty on both sides : If we mix layers different on both sides, it's very likely to start to break off. I don't know the reason clearly, but it's not easy to make a blade with different structure on both sides. It easily start to take off in the middle. 

2. 접착 : 제가 원하는 블레이드는 발사층의 사이에 카본층을 넣는 것인데 발사목이 일정 강도를 갖지 않으면 카본층에 접착이 참 어렵습니다. 발사목 자체가 워낙 무르기 때문에 카본층의 결에 따라 누려 버리고 그 눌린 틈새로 글루층이 벌어지면서 접착면 전체가 떠 버리는 현상이 자주 벌어질 수 있지요.

2. Gluing durability : It's extremely difficult to glue and joint balsa wood together with carbon layer.
Balsa is very weak material, and if we try to glue and press, then it becomes dent and broken. So, this must be very sensitive and careful process to glue and joint balsa wood with carbon layer.

이상 양측이 다를 때 일어날 수 있는 현상, 그리고 발사층에 카본을 결합하는 문제 등 어려운 난제를 가지고 첫 도전을 했던 것이 무시로라는 블레이드 였으며 곧 이어 소풍도 제작이 되었지요.

With these problems, I dared to try two blades. One is made by Tibhar, named "Musiro" and the other one is made by "Hallmark" and named "Sopoong".

<MUSIRO>

두 블레이드가 어려운 과정을 거쳐 탄생되었기 때문에 그 이후 이 블레이드를 흉내낸 유사 블레이드들이 타사에서 출시되지 않았던 것입니다. 아마 타사에서 제작한다고 하더라도 발사목에 직접 카본을 붙이는 문제도 난제인데다가 양측 균형이 안 맞는 문제까지 겹쳐 있으니 쉽게 예쓰라고 답하기 어려웠을 것입니다.

Due to it's difficulties to produce, I think other brand did not try to make something similiar to them, even though those blades were really big success in Korean market.
I think other brand would not succeed in gluing balsa wood on one thin carbon layer.
Actually, from those Musiro and Sopoong, some blades became defect due to those factors.

이 두 블레이드를 가지고 시장에 접근한 결과 몇 가직 아쉬움이 남았습니다. 소풍의 경우는 지나치게 얇은 두께로 블레이드의 힘이 부족하다는 아쉬움이 있었고 무시로의 경우는 포핸드의 파워를 좀 더 주면 어떨까 하는 것이었죠.그래서 다시 출시된 제품이 미라지였습니다.

Any way, after those two blades, still I thought I need to make up for some more power. And that's how I made MILARGE by Tibhar. 

미라지의 경우는 양쪽면에 림바층을 더하여 파워가 더해지면서 힘있는 돌출 블레이드로 각인되었고 무시로와 함께 지금까지 많은 인기를 누려 왔습니다.

아쉬운 점은 만약 포핸드면만 두겹을 더하고 백핸드 면은 한겹만 했더라면 어땠을까 하는 점인데, 결국 이런 생각이 반영된 것이 지금의 라비린토스라고 할 수 있습니다.

MILARGE added one more Limba layers on both sides of MUSIRO. And it has been know as good powerful OX blade in Korea until now. I think if I had made this blade with one Limba on back hand side, then it would have been more successful in the market, but that would be almost the same blade as today's Labyrinthos.

<MILARGE>

이처럼 3종류의 블레이드를 타사의 이름을 빌어 출시한 이후 돌출 전형에 새로운 변화가 일어났죠. 바로 코팅 러버의 퇴출이었는데요, 표면 코팅으로 인해 롱핌플의 효과가 극대화된 러버들이 시장에서 물러나게 되었습니다.

After these three blades released in the market, there happened a big change in OX market.
ITTF expelled too much slippery rubbers, (which rubbers are coated with plastic sealings) and OX players could not much rely on OX's variations as they did.

과거 변화량만으로 승부를 보던 전형상의 이점이 크게 상쇄되어 가면서 조금 더 공격적인 전형으로 바꾸지 않으면 돌출 전형만으로 큰 이점을 보기 어려워 지겠다 싶은 상황이 되었습니다. 바로 이 시점에서 개발하게 된 것이 넥시의 이름으로 발표된 이카루스였습니다.

As the change makes OX players lose big shaking effects from their OX rubbers, I thought it would be great if I could make faster but more attacking OX blade timely.
That's how I designed Nexy's first OX blade, IKARUS.

이카루스는 앞서 개발된 3종류의 블레이드와 마찬가지로 3분의 1 지점에 한장의 카본이 들어가 있지만 블레이드 사이즈가 작고 가벼운 볼터치와 빠른 스피드로 승부를 보는 매우 특이한 전형을 위한 블레이드라고 할 수 있습니다. 소비자들의 경우도 변화 만으로 승부를 보기 어렵겠다고 판단을 하고 좀더 공격적인 돌출 플레이를 하고 싶다고 생각하신 분들이 이 블레이드를 선택하기 시작했지요.

IKARUS has the same location of one carbon layer as other 3 blades; one third in the middle, but is focuses on quick and easier movement. I don't think it has a big market, because OX attackers are not easy to meet everyday, but I knew that many people will try to become more attacking with their OX blades, due to the change.

<LIKARUS>

이카루스의 경우는 특히 이처럼 공격적인 성향이 강하기 때문에 양면의 반발력을 구분했다는 독특한 특성과 함께 중펜 사용자들에게도 관심을 끌어 특이하게 중펜 버젼이 주문 제작되었습니다. 사실 중펜 사용자들에게 8밀리미터가 넘는 두께는 조금 두꺼울 수 있음에도 불구하고 공격적 성향을 더한 OX 블레이드라는 면에서 중펜 사용자들에게 어필할만 하다는 생각이 듭니다. 블레이드의 사이즈도 중펜 사용자에게 적절한 사이즈로 변형하고 손잡이의 모양새도 여러가지고 다듬은 이카루스 중펜 버젼은 꾸준히 중펜 사용자들의 관심을 얻고 있지요.

Owing to it's attacking character, many customers asked me to produce CS handle for Ikarus.
Normally, CS players prefer thin blade, because the blade comes into fingers, but people wanted to play with Ikarus CS, whether it's thick or not. So, I cut it more adaptable for CS players, and made a new head shape and handle design. This CS blade is still poplular in Korean market until today.

<IKARUS CS>

이처럼 4가지 종류의 OX 전용 블레이드들을 개발해 오면서 제 마음 속에 남는 가장 큰 관심은 바로 극단적은 포핸드면과 백핸드면의 차등화였습니다. 백핸드 면은 변화량을 극대화 해야 하고 러버만으로는 구현하기 어려운 변화량을 보증할 수 있는 구성을 만들어 내야 했습니다. 반면 포핸드면은 단순 반발력의 측면만이 아닌 궁극적인 공격 성향을 어떻게 만들어 내는가가 매우 중요했습니다.

While I made these 4 different blades, the final concern staying in me was how to differentiate fore hand side from back hand side, enough. It's not only about speed. It has to consider different function on both sides. On back hand side, I have to give big OX effect, but on the fore hand side, I need to give big power and spin. It's about how to maxmize it's attacking ability. 

그래서 고안한 것이 바로 현재의 라비린토스의 블레이드 구성입니다.

블레이드 3분의 1 지점에 가깝게 카본층을 위치한 것은 동일하지만 이카루스와 비교할 때 포핸드쪽 발사층의 두께를 조금 더 얇게 조정하여 포핸드쪽은 카본층의 효과를 좀더 많이 맛보게 하였습니다.

반면 표면층을 양쪽에 있어 극단적으로 다르게 구성하였습니다.

That's how I designed this labyrinthos' structure.
The location of one carbon layer is the same as before; one third in the middle.
But the balsa layer's thickness next to forehand side is thinner than for IKARUS, and you can feel the power of carbon layer more directly.
And the biggest difference is different materials for both sides.

바로 윗 단면 그림에서 보면 포핸드 면은 두겹의 림바층을 사용하여 파워를 높이고 백핸드면은 매우 얇은 코토층을 사용한 것을 아실 수 있을 겁니다.

As you can see from the above pictures, I used two layers of Limba on fore hand side, and one thin koto on back hand side. 

한 가지 특이한 면은 바로 이 코토층인데요, 한국에서는 일반적으로 매우 단단한 목재라고 알려진 반면 해외에서는 코토층을 부드러운 목재라고 알더 있더군요. 그래서 이 부분을 바로 이해하도록 해 주는 것이 필요할 듯 합니다. 코토층은 일반적으로 단단한 목재입니다. 다만 최근들어 출시된 인기 블레이드들이 이 층을 아주 앏게 해서 특수 소재들과 결합하여 배치한 결과 종합적인 타구감이 부드럽게 느껴지는 경우가 많이 있습니다. 그래서 아마 해외에서는 부드러운 소재로 잘못 알려진 듯 합니다.

I need to say some more about this koto surface. I found out that some people believe that KOTO is very soft material, but that's not true. KOTO is stiff and hard wood, but it can feel soft when we use it thin and mixed with soft structure. But it's not very soft in it's own character. 

라비린토스의 경우는 돌출 러버의 돌기 (column)가 충분히 돌출 효과를 보도록 하려면 단단한 표면층 위에 세워져 있어야 합니다. 만약 표면층이 부드럽게 싸안아 주는 구조라고 하면 돌기가 강하게 되튕기는 효과는 반감될 수 있겠지요. 그래서 단단한 소재인 코토층이 표면에 사용된 것입니다.

When I design OX blade, I think the best material for OX side must be hard wood. If not, then the impact of the ball can be absorbed into wood. The wooden layer needs to react to rubber column directly, and the whole cushion of the ball will fall on the column, then we can maximise the OX effect.

이런 경도의 측면을 생각한다면 다음 번 넥시의 돌출 블레이드는 백핸드 면이 티크 목재가 될 가능성도 있습니다. 혹시 Teak 소재에 대해서 잘 아시는 분이 있으시다면 조언을 좀 주세요. 물론 샘플 블레이드를 만들어 가면서 충분히 검토하겠지만 기본적인 정보라도 환영합니다.

In it's aspect, I think next time I might use TEAK for OX blade's back hand side. 

아무튼 백핸드 면은 이런 측면에서 코토층을 사용합니다. 다만 전반적으로 백핸드 면은 공격된 공을 순간적으로 조절해서 반구해야 하는 블로킹 빈도가 높으므로 안정감이 또한 중요합니다. 그래서 코토층을 아주 얇게 사용합니다. 만약 코토층이 두껍다면 변화도는 충분하겠지만 감싸 주는 효과는 줄어 들어서 컨트롤이 불안정할 수 있습니다. 그 결과 얇은 코토층의 사용으로 변화량은 극대화 하면서 순간적인 브로킹 안정도는 최대화 하였다고 할 수 있습니다.

Any way, I used KOTO for back hand side of Labyrinthos for this reason. I use think KOTO, by which I can make the feeling smooth, and give more stability on blocking, while I keep big effect on OX rubber side. And it's also very important to modulate an OX blade bigger, because bigger size give more stability for blocking and heavier weight which is also needed for comfortable blocking.

포핸드면은 최근에 넥시에서 스피어 블레이드를 제작하면서 새롭게 재평가 하게 된 림바 소재입니다.

일반적으로 림바는 부드럽고 감싸 안아 주는 타구감이 있다고 알려져 있지만 저는 이 소재로 강한 파워를 만들어 내는데 많은 노력을 기울이고 있습니다.

Regarding fore hand side, I used two LIMBA layers. I tested and studied LIMBA deeply when I designed SPEAR. Limba is generally known for it's embrasing feeling, but I tried to make it powerful spin generator when I designed SPEAR.

일례를 들면 스티가의 오펜시브 계열 블레이드들이 바로 이 림바의 감싸안아 주는 감각을 아주 효율적으로 사용하고 있다고 할 수 있는데요, 파워를 더하기 위해서 단순한 블레이드의 구성만으로는 달성하기 어려운 파워를 만들어 낸 것이 바로 스피어라고 할 수 있지요.

For an example, you can see that STIGA used LIMBA for it's offensive classic, because they thought it has good atttacking character, but I treid to give more power on SPEAR, by changing the basic idea about a blade from STIGA's offensive classic.

스피어는 돌출 블레이드가 아니므로 추가적인 설명은 약하도록 하겠습니다.

Any way, SPEAR is not OX blade, so I will not go further about it.

아무튼 이 스피어를 제작하면서 철저하게 분석하여 파고 든 재질이 바로 림바입니다. 림바는 겹수를 달리 했을 때 한겹과는 상당히 다른 파워를 보인다는 것을 알게 되었습니다.

앞서 미라지를 제작하면서도 경험한 바이지만 2겹이 되면서 드라이브시 발사층이 가질 수 있는 조금은 공허한 텅텅거림을 현저하게 상쇄시켜 주면서 블레이드에 실린 타구자의 힘을 백퍼센트 공에 전달하는 데 매우 효과적인 구조를 만들어 내는 것이 바로 라비린토스의 포핸드면이 추구하는 목표점이었는데, 이 목표를 세밀하게 충족시켜 준 것이 바로 림바 2겹의 표면 구조였습니다.

Any how, I came to realise that LIMBA can be different when we mix it with different wood structure than generally accepted form. I tested it when I designed MILARGE, and I was sure that two layers of LIMBA can be very good for powerful attacking, specially when I joint them with balsa wood. 

얼핏 보기에는 별로 신기할 것이 없는 당연한 추론인 것 같은데, 의외로 림바층을 2겹 겹쳐서 만든 블레이드들이 거의 없답니다. 나중에 이런 특성을 가미한 블레이드를 넥시에서 추가로 만들 가능성도 있다는 얘기이기도 하지요. ^^

It does not look special, but still I can not find any other blade using two LIMBA layers for the surface. Maybe this can be used for another blade concept next time for Nexy.

이제 블레이드의 형상과 디자인에 대한 얘기도 좀 해 보기로 하죠.

(혹시 지루해 지신 것은 아니시죠? ^^)

Let's say some more about blade shape and design.

(You are not bored yet, are you?)

블레이드의 형상에 대해서는 사실 여러 독창적인 시도들이 선재되어 왔습니다. 미라지와 무시로에서 보시듯이 조금 네모 모양에 가깝게 제작하는 것이 가장 안정도가 높고 OX 돌출의 효과를 극대화 하기 좋다는 것이 초기의 제 생각이었습니다. 그렇지만 실제 플레이 면에 있어서는 대상 플레이에 있어 조금 부족함이 있을 수 있다는 우려가 있었지요.

손목을 꺾어서 사용할 경우 블레이드 끝이 테이블에 닿을 가능성도 있구요, 기본적으로 블레이드면이 넓다 보니 아주 조금의 차이이긴 하지만 둔한 감도 있을 수 있습니다.

I tried many different shapes before. If you look at Musiro and Milarge, you will know that they seem to be little more rectangle than Labyrinthos' roundish face. I thought this rectangle face can gaurantee better control for blocking. But it can not be effective for playing close to the net.

When you play low with your wrist down, then you can touch the table surface with your blade's edge easily and also it can be dull in some way for the play on the table.

그렇다고 일반 블레이드처럼 작게 만들어 버리면 수비의 안정감은 현저하게 떨어지지요. 공격 전용을 표방한 이카루스라면 그것이 장점이 될 수 있지만 전통적인 롱핌플 OX 플레이어들을 겨냥한 라비린토스의 경우는 그렇게 하면 안 될 일이었습니다.

But also I can not make small size head, just the same as normal attacking blade, because then I will lose stability needed for an OX blade.

그래서 이번 라비린토스의 형상은 아주 아주 예민하면서도 섬세한 디자인이 필요한 부분이었죠. 많은 시타 후에 내린 결론은 기본 블레이드의 형상을 따르면서 그 크기를 늘리는 것이었습니다.

기본 블레이드의 형상이란 결론적으로 말하면 시간을 통해서 증명되어 온 효율성을 지닌 것이고 단시간에 더 나은 것을 만들기 어려운 종합적 완결성이 있는 형상이라고 할 수 있다는 생각입니다.

그러므로 그 모양을 차용하되 조금 더 독창적인 사이즈를 추구하였지요.

Therefore, for this general OX players' balde, Labyrinthos, I had to design on the shape with much special care. After many tests, I decided not to change the blade shape much different from normal blade, but just to make it bigger.
The generally accepted shape has been being tested by time, and I think this egg shape head is very ideal for most blades. But I had to make it bigger than normal attacking blade.

그래서 채택된 사이즈는 헤드 사이즈만 측정했을 때 155 x 165 mm 가 되었습니다.

And that's how I decided it as 155 x 165mm.

아마 사용해 보신 분들이라면 이 사이즈가 갖는 여러가지 의미들을 느낄 수 있을 겁니다. 적정한 공격력, 수비력을 동시에 달성할 수 있는, 그러면서도 너무 둔하거나 너무 나대지 않을 수 있는 진중함을 동시에 지닌 이상적인 사이즈이지요. 이 사이즈는 또한 넥시의 리썸 스페셜이 갖는 사이즈이기도 합니다. 이 역시 여러가지로 연구된 결과이지요.

This size guarantees decent combination of attacking and blocking. It's also the same size for LISSOM special version. I studied much about size when I designed that LISSOM special version, too.

손잡이도 일반적인 블레이드보다 큰 사이즈인데도 손에 착 감기는 착화감을 어떻게 구현할 것인지 많이 연구했습니다.

기존 손잡이들에 비해 깊이 잡히는 그립형태인데, 그 결과 매 타구시마다 정확한 타구감각으로 공을 맞힐 수 있도록 되어 있습니다.

Regarding handles, I treid to make people very comfortable when they grip it deep.
So, it will be good for you to hit the ball with better and direct feeling, when you grip the blade deeper.

블레이드의 이름을 만드는 과정에서도 많은 고민이 있었습니다.

블레이드의 특성을 담으면서도 해학적인 요소를 가지면 좋겠다고 생각했고, 결국 한번 들어오면 빠져 나올 수 없는 미궁을 테마로 한 네이밍과 디자인이 시도되었지요.

적어도 상대방을 미궁속에 빠뜨리고 싶다는 OX 플레이어들의 내심을 충분히 담은 네이밍은 되었다고 자평합니다.

By the way, naming was also very funny work. I tired to make it  very representative of it's uniqueness, and also be humourous. At least, people will like it when they really want to let the other player feel lost in the "labyrinthos".

이렇게 (지나간 세월에 비하면) 간단한 블레이드 제작 일기를 마칩니다. 특별히 이 블레이드와 같이 조합해서 테스트해 보시기를 권하는 제품으로 넥시의 CHAOS 러버가 있습니다.
카오스 러버는 이름 자체가 "혼란" 이듯이 상대방에게 혼란스러운 구질을 주기 위해 제작된 롱핌플 러버입니다. 초창기에는 OX 버젼을 만들지 않았고 그 결과 큰 인기를 얻지 못한 면이 있지만 최근에 일부러 OX 버젼을 추가로 발표했지요.

Now I finish the production note for Nexy's Labyrinthos.

Let me add just one thing. In order to celebrate this new blade, now I'm giving one CHAOS rubber for free, when you buy a Labyrinthos. ( http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1199 )
"Chaos" was released only with 0.5mm sponge first time, but recently, I released OX version, too.

0.5mm 버젼과 1.0mm 버젼의 경우는 일반적으로 탄성을 높이기 위한 스폰지의 존재 이유를 정면으로 부정하는 탄성없는 스폰지를 사용하고 있습니다. 이 탄성없는 스폰지의 역할은 공격된 공을 순간적으로 스폰지 면에서 탄성을 없애 줌으로 인해 최대한 짧게 반구하기 위한 것이 그 목적입니다. 물론 탄성이 없다고 해서 공격적인 타이밍에서 힘이 없는 것은 아닙니다.

공격적인 타이밍 때에서는 목판 면의 힘이 그대로 공에 전달되도록 되어 있지요.

These sponges used for 0.5mm and 1.0mm are non-elastic sponges. They absorb the impact of the ball, and I hope you can make the returning ball short, close to the net on your opponent's table.

And if you want to attack with that side, then the ball goes deep onto the surface wood, so you will not lose any power from non- elastic function. 

기본적인 카오스 러버의 OX 버젼은 변화량이 많으나 비교적 사용하기 편리한 OX 러버입니다. 라비린토스 발매 기념으로 한시적인 기간 동안 라비린토스 구매시 한매를 제공해 드리고 있습니다. 같이 조합해서 시타해 보시면 좋겠습니다.

CHAOS ox version is also good rubber. I think it's not perfect for all players, but there could be some people who would like it very much. So, please, test it with Labyrinthos. 

앞으로 넥시가 존재하는 한 끝까지 롱런할 대작이 되리라고 믿어 의심하지 않는 제품, "라비린토스"

여러분들의 많은 사랑, 기다립니다.

I believe this Labyrinthos will be selling as long as NEXY survives the market.

Test it, and you will love it.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/07/2011 at 8:41pm

Long time no writing.

I feel sorry for not coming here often to write.
Any way, it does not mean that I'm not working.

Here I attach one image file.
This is a new blade called "calix"
This will be 5.5mm thick carbon blade.
I will continue to equip this blade with deep embracing touch, even though thin (and also with carbon layer) blade is not easy to get that deep impact feeling.

And I will try to make the feeling of returning ball heavy.
In many cases, if a blade is think and light, the returning ball is not much powerful, even though it can be fast.
But I think if I continue to equip this blade with deep impact feeling, then the returning ball can be fast and also heavy.

My test will be finished around next month...but the whole process will take more than 3 months.
So, Calix will come out many months later.
But I wish I could be lucky, then I will be able to find the best composition and size sooner than that 3 months.

I will report more later.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: strongpong
Date Posted: 01/07/2011 at 9:06pm
Good luck on your search. You are addressing the one and only thing I would change in the Lissom - and that is some carbon or similar to add stability and reduce the large flex when hitting hard. This will improve directness and reduce the very high throw when loop driving.

I hope the handle shape, wing shape, balance, flex on slower shots, and embracing feeling remain the same as the Lissom as they are perfect (for what I look for in a blade).

Please keep us posted !!!!!

Date Posted: 01/07/2011 at 9:11pm
There is one article about "Labyrinthos" in ooak table tennis site.
I hope this article helps people to know more about Labyrinthos.
This was written by "pingpongstephen".
And here is the address of that thread.

http://www.ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12717&start=120 - http://www.ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12717&start=120

And he posted the movice clip.
Here is the movie clip.

Nexy Labyrinthos blade and Nexy Chaos 0.5 mm Testing

Initial Impression:

80-gm blade beautifully designed with high-quality finish. ST handle is very comfortable.

Bouncing ball on the BH side finds that it has a bit of hard feel. Paired with Tibhar Grass Dtecs OX (My competition long pimple) and had a hit. Wow, the feel is not that good as it gives me a sort of hard feel, which is not so comfortable when I chop. I couldn’t get the usual consistency and smooth feel like I use it on my Dr. Neubauer High Technology Plus or Giant Dragon Kris, which also has a thin layer of Koto.

Real Test:

Replaced DTecs OX with Nexy Chaos 0.5 mm on BH and Andro Hexer + 2.0 mm on FH, I had a go with Paul Moody, a looper. Immediately, the feel is much better and the consistency is improved. I am quite happy with the long pimple chop, swipe, block, hit and FH control loop with enough dwell time and hit. The thin sponge on Chaos does make a difference.

Conclusion:

It looks like this could be a combinational blade for a modern defender as you can see from my Youtube video. The FH away-from-table counter is awesome and powerful which I have not tried on this video. Personally, I don’t quite like stiff feel on the BH side. Perhaps, it could be the carbon layer, though on the FH side, has some impact on the Koto layer on the BH. Surprisingly, I find there is nothing much special with the Nexy Chaos 0.5mm long pimple rubber as I don’t seem to find much back spin, wobbling or reverse spin effect. Maybe I have to keep on searching a suitable OX long pimple for my needs on Labyrinthos.

Anyway, I do appreciate Mr. Moon from Nexy who gave me a chance to review his products, though not very much in-depth. Above mentioned is just my personal feeling and preference. Nevertheless, Nexy Labyrinthos is still a highly recommended blade for modern defenders

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/07/2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by strongpong strongpong wrote:

Good luck on your search. You are addressing the one and only thing I would change in the Lissom - and that is some carbon or similar to add stability and reduce the large flex when hitting hard. This will improve directness and reduce the very high throw when loop driving.

I hope the handle shape, wing shape, balance, flex on slower shots, and embracing feeling remain the same as the Lissom as they are perfect (for what I look for in a blade).

Please keep us posted !!!!!
Thank you for the comment.

Actually, this thin carbon blade is the third blade coming from one concept, which I call "the second wave for nexy blade"; deep embracing feeling, which makes effective bang impact in most positions.

I made 6.5mm all wooden 5-ply one: SPEAR, and the next blade was 5.7mm thin & flexible some what blade; Nexy, and the final one will come out later with the name "CALIX"

I think this calix will extract all the good things from carbon blades, and traditionally well famed wooden blades into itself.
I wish I could finish it soon.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/13/2011 at 9:13pm

Regarding Calix, I'm now checking TEAK wood for the surface. But Teak seems not easy to use. It's very oily, and not easy to cut nice.

I'm thinking I need to test another wood.
I have two woods in my mind. One is African Mahogany, and the other one is Aromatic coder.
Mahogany has been used for other blades, but Aromatic coder is very new.

I will give more details about these surface woods later on.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 01/13/2011 at 9:42pm
Do you like padauk?

When I grew up my step dad built a wooden house on the beach and the only way to go there was with a boat (my water ski years are some of the best Thumbs Up). That beach land was almost an island because a river was throwing itself 3 miles away and was parallel to the beach so from the house we had to walk 2 minutes to the river and there the boat would sleep. So  my step dad built a mini pier in padauk (can't rot in water) so we would get out of the boat and avoid the incredibly muddy bottom of the river (you could go down all the way to your knees).
I helped building it and believe it or not we could not plant a nail (10 cm nails) with a hammer --> we had to start a 2 cm hole with the drill and only then the hammer would be usable. ALso that wood is so dense it could not clearly float.

I bet outter plies in padauk will give a longer life to the blade as it will be harder to ding it!

Another hard wood from Gabon is the beautiful Kevazingo (African rosewood) or bubinga.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bubinga.htm - http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bubinga.htm
http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/bubinga.php - http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/bubinga.php

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 01/14/2011 at 1:43am
Nexy, you mean "aromatic cedar", right? that's a very nice looking wood. No ideas about its properties, though.

Fatt, I have read that a hard wood is fragile when cut thin, so it may be difficult to ding, but it may break easily. This may be the reason why Yinhe integrates edge protection in their newer Wenge series blades. Do you know if that is true?

-------------

Date Posted: 01/14/2011 at 9:06am
Wenge's side has no function but design.
I know what it is.
It's only wooden sticker.
But it's nice looking, and I like it.

And yes, it's aromatic cedar.
But it's not the same wood.
What I want to use is some wood living in Korea, and I'm not sure this wood is the same from other countires.

By the way, when I choose wood, I need to think the whole composition together.
And I can not think of it before I know something about the materials.
So, I can not say any opinion about what FATT suggested right now.
But all woods look really nice and interesting.
I hope I can really lay my hands on those new materials soon.
So thankful for those information!!

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/14/2011 at 9:59pm

WHAT happens when we make a big looping shot on our racket?

This is the topic I planned to write quite a long time ago, but I could not start until today. I’m not a professional player, but I’ve been playing more than 20 years, and I sometimes play with top players in Korea. I also participated several junior players training camps in Germany and Hungary, and had many chances to see how players played in their own way.​

Basically, Korean players are always asked to make powerful shots. They are not allowed to send back their ball in a clumsy but steady way. Even though they can lose one point, still they are expected to return it with a great deal of power and speed. And from Korean players, I could learn how to make “Bang Impact” — This is the term I made up in order to explain more about blade and rubbers. When you make bang impact shot, the ball goes through the rubber and into the wood, and you can hear the sound coming from the impact on that wooden surface. It needs a quick swing movement combined with good angle and deep touch of the ball into the racket.

And from European players, I could learn the many ways by which they can handle their rackets and how they can be steadily in all strokes. I think some time later, I can write another report about the differences between Korea and Europe, and also provide some useful information about the Chinese training system.

Back to today’s topic . . .

Many players believe that when we hit a ball with our racket to make a good topspin shot (looping), then we need to make the ball roll on the rubber as long as possible. We might picture that the ball is rolling on the rubber, and we try to extend that rolling movement for as long as we can.

This is the way most beginners, and even some good players, believe how we can loop. But just think more about it. When we swing the racket, this racket is meeting the ball, and the racket has a rubber and blade which are made to hit the ball with great speed. So, the idea that the ball can roll on the rubber is really not possible. If it stays in the rubber, than that cannot be rolling. That can be a moment when the ball goes deep into the rubber, and gets bounced off, leaving the rubber with a quick movement.

So, I can explain it this way . . .

The ball does not roll on the rubber. The ball is rather stabbed into the rubber, reaching as deep as it can , and then gets kicked out by the energy of the rubber as it re-coils back to its original shape.

Here is another picture by which you can better understand what I mean. 

Actually, this bang impact is not only for professional players. Most loops occur as the picture illustrates. But top players can make the ball go much deeper, even to the wooden surface. If you start to understand these two pictures, then you would know why I focus on this bang impact. My blades general purpose is to give you the best chance for a bang impact.

I think many players will have some questions about these two illustrations. I’m not sure I can give correct answer to all questions, but I will wait for those questions and do my best.

If I find some more topics from those questions, I will write more about this as it relates to my upcoming line of blades.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/14/2011 at 10:02pm

By the way, the upper writing is not about one specific blade I'm working on.

This is the general idea I adopt when I design a blade, and I want to share this idea with nexy lovers.
Thank you for reading..and feel free to reply.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: robjkc
Date Posted: 01/14/2011 at 11:04pm
Very good analysis on the "Bang Impact"!  It was interesting to read your article since I currently have a Korean coach who says some of the same things as you do.  He was taught to also hit the "kill every ball" technique similar to what you speak of.  During some of my training sessions he had me try and hit my slams so hard as to make a sound as if you are cracking the ball.  I found out pretty quickly that it takes a lot of hand quickness to make such a sound.

He also preaches to keep the ball on the blade as long as you can on a loop...that is, have the ball enter at the top of the racket and leave at the bottom.  When you didn't do this he said that you had weak contact with the ball causing you to not have much control or spin.

From what you are saying the ball doesn't really roll along the rubber but there is just a single spot on the rubber that it touches, which makes sense.  Maybe the idea of having the ball enter on the top of the blade and exit at the bottom (rolling the ball) is what give you the necessary hand speed in order to hit a good loop (or drive as he calls it).

I really like the Korean style of "killing" every ball but it does take quite a bit of stamina to be able to do so, which I don't have.

Date Posted: 01/15/2011 at 12:43am
Originally posted by robjkc robjkc wrote:

Very good analysis on the "Bang Impact"!  It was interesting to read your article since I currently have a Korean coach who says some of the same things as you do.  He was taught to also hit the "kill every ball" technique similar to what you speak of.  During some of my training sessions he had me try and hit my slams so hard as to make a sound as if you are cracking the ball.  I found out pretty quickly that it takes a lot of hand quickness to make such a sound.

He also preaches to keep the ball on the blade as long as you can on a loop...that is, have the ball enter at the top of the racket and leave at the bottom.  When you didn't do this he said that you had weak contact with the ball causing you to not have much control or spin.

From what you are saying the ball doesn't really roll along the rubber but there is just a single spot on the rubber that it touches, which makes sense.  Maybe the idea of having the ball enter on the top of the blade and exit at the bottom (rolling the ball) is what give you the necessary hand speed in order to hit a good loop (or drive as he calls it).

I really like the Korean style of "killing" every ball but it does take quite a bit of stamina to be able to do so, which I don't have.

You understand it 100%.
I'm quite glad to have you here in this thread.

By the way, if you want to have "bang impact" on each shot, it's not only about arm and body.
If you are Japanese pen holder blade player, then you need to learn how use wrist and palm.
And if you are shak hand player, then you need to know how to fold the arm quickly focusing on your elbow, together with smaller movement on your wrist.
(Japanese penholder has wider movement area than shak hand grip.)

But once you know how to do it, then you can kill the ball.
It just flashes away on your eyes.
You will know what I mean.

But I think Korean players need to learn how to be more steady in rallies.
That's how we develop together.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/15/2011 at 3:53am
Are there slow motion videos with hi-speed cameras that show the details of the impact?
However, I would assume that there is a minimal displacement of the contact area of the ball on the rubber even while the rubber is being depressed. Very small because the ball will flex during impact, thereby increasing resistance to rotation.
In the absence of hi-speed recordings another way to verify the trajectory of the ball on the rubber could be to play some bang-impact shots with some very new balls (or some dusty balls) that will leave marks on the rubber, so that the shape and size of the ball contact area can be seen afterwards.

-------------

Posted By: tompy
Date Posted: 01/15/2011 at 4:52am
This bang impact is maybe more bang output I think. The bang is the release or tranfer of energy from the blade to the ball. Release as spin and speed. Like a flow of energy from bigger joints through the arm to the hand to the blade. That,s a secquency of joints with the upperarm contributing with a naturally much lower frecquency then the lowerarm and lowerarm lower then wrist, wrist lower then the joint between hand and blade (which also functions as a joint even if hardly noticable) aso. The ballcontact/release is only a short period and lower frecquency energy therefor can,t transfer to the ball.
Only long arm loop most energy is wasted it,s not concentrated.

To concentrate the energy to the ball the energy flow is necessary as a whip shows. The initital movement with a whip can be slow, low frecquency but the bang is when it relases from the tip at extremely high frecquency. Low frecquency energy transformed during the tranfer/flow to higher frecquency thereby gets concentrated in shorter moment of time. If that corresponds with ballcontact it,s bang as from a whip because the energy build up earlier can release to the ball.

Technical this is not just power but also relaxation of muscles at the right moment to have the energy "flow" outward and timing.

Longer ballcontact can make it easier but also make it impossible to further concentrate the energy to the ball which results in a mushy feel with a too soft sponge.
When the blade "embrasses" the ball the wood has the same funktion of the sponge somewhat. As if the same sponge is thicker. The ballcontact can be lengthened more then without the mushy feel (or harder sponge can be used with same ballcontacttime). Therefor the hard blade soft sponge idea is never optimal  (covering up lack of technicque for an "easy bang" but also limited) But only embrasing (trampoline idea) no flex (divingboard/fishingrod idea) doesn,t support this optimal either just as flex no embrassing. This is also low frecquency (flex) to higher frecquency (surfacespring). But the flex is higher frecquency then the wrist.

So the secquency continues through the blade from low frecquency to higher :

hip, tigh ---shoulder  --- underarm --- wrist --- hand/blade joint-- flex ---surfacespring - sponge-topsheet....release. All this in one second maybe and with all energy as much concentrated as possible. The lower frecquencies don,t have less energy but to get that energy transferred/concentrated to the ball is the difficulty. Technical for playing and also for building a blade.

A too stiff blade for how soft it is the blade doesn,t get faster and too hard for how flexible it is doesn,t make it faster because it becomes more difficult to get this bang impact and less.

For onstance stiff balsa blades the surface frecquency (of the trampoline) can be lower then the flex frecquency (meaning stiff). that,s reversed direkton to the transfer direction.

It has to be a little higher. Not too much not too little in a way that it is tuned for the purpose of transferring energy. Lucky thing is that would is flexible and plastical. When it,s not perfectly tuned for the purpose when new the energy blocks inside the wood and then works destruktive to the wood on microscale. A too stiff blade for how soft it is the flex will increase more a flexible but hard blade will soften up more. But to an extend. If it,s a well made blade it is flex and soft but without feeling flexible or soft. If a blade "feels" soft it,s not necessarily too soft but can just as well be not flexible enough. This may seem counterintuitive because flex is often mistaken as "feeling soft" but they are completely different.

If the blade is well made the frecquency of the trampolin is higher then the flex frecquency in a way that it follows the flex naturally in the energytranfer.

Date Posted: 01/15/2011 at 8:01am

So many new vocabularies and new informations, than I thought.

I hope I can understand all those articles with better understanding later...but this time too much for me to absorb and write back.

By the way, I want to add one more thing. If you want to make this kind of "bang impact" with big and deep touch, then you need to use the most powerful gear, which will be joint on your arm (elbow), and the wrist. And you need to make enough back swing just before each stroke.

If you think your following throw (the swing after hitting the ball) is longer than most top players, it's not because you are using your arm too big, but because you start to move your arm too close and late to the coming ball.
If you always have enough space between your starting point of your racket and the coming ball, then you will have to make faster movement to the ball.

I found out most beginners can not have enough back swign to make this "bang impact".

By the way... so happy to have those enthusiastic and full of knowledge replies.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/15/2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by robjkc robjkc wrote:

After having seen these videos, it really seems that the contact area between ball and rubber is very small even when extreme spin is played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBMPW_r9Dc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUBMPW_r9Dc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaotbKjows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaotbKjows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M
But of course, the higher the racket speed at the moment of impact, the higher the spin. So imagining having the ball roll on the rubber is ok for learning, but that is not what happens in reality.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/17/2011 at 10:42am
I just back from a trip to Nexy HQ and a visit to Seoul National University TTC with Korea's top Non-pro player. I had a blast "Banging It" around with the Uni students. There was a J-Pen player who made "Bang Impact on literally half his shots. Myself, I do not "Bang" it, unless I am needing a powerful speed drive, so that is normally 20% of my shots max. We spent considerable time doing that "Bang" FH to FH from distance. I am a dude with pretty good endurance, but that tile floor wore me out by the time I left.

Nexy made a vid of me and that J-Pen dude (I won that one 3-2 and he got me 3-0 on my last match of the night (I had excuses, but don't we all?) ) maybe he posts it sometime. Dude made some great rallies and returns I was not expecting him to get to. I had my share of points where I was not happy with my miss or the outcome. I shall have to learn how to better get over it.
To do Bang Impact, you really have to use a lot of the body and have the timing. J-Pen dude had it over and over. (In practice, in the match I only fed him for 2 games)

The top non-pro player (Prolly USATT 2700 or higher) (He just recently defeated a K&G pro team player) (Just about all the Korean pros are USATT 2800ish minimum for starters) got supplied a Nexy Oscar (ST) with Genius. (I'm not sure he even he uses Shakehand for his normal setup) Nexy and top non-pro player went to SNUTTC to teach some TT.

I'll probably write a thread about this visit later, there are a lot of other neat stuff I discovered on that visit.

-------------

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 01/17/2011 at 3:44pm
Nexy, is your new Laurel blade similar to Darker Tanpan or DS70 (90) blades? 9 mm seems a bit thinner than usual OFF style one-ply Hinoki blades

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1168 - http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1168

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 01/19/2011 at 1:00am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Nexy, is your new Laurel blade similar to Darker Tanpan or DS70 (90) blades? 9 mm seems a bit thinner than usual OFF style one-ply Hinoki blades

Yes, both of them are very alike.
But my Laurel is more easy to attack, due to slight difference of it's shape.
Both of them are 9mm thick.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/19/2011 at 1:02am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I just back from a trip to Nexy HQ and a visit to Seoul National University TTC with Korea's top Non-pro player. I had a blast "Banging It" around with the Uni students. There was a J-Pen player who made "Bang Impact on literally half his shots. Myself, I do not "Bang" it, unless I am needing a powerful speed drive, so that is normally 20% of my shots max. We spent considerable time doing that "Bang" FH to FH from distance. I am a dude with pretty good endurance, but that tile floor wore me out by the time I left.

Nexy made a vid of me and that J-Pen dude (I won that one 3-2 and he got me 3-0 on my last match of the night (I had excuses, but don't we all?) ) maybe he posts it sometime. Dude made some great rallies and returns I was not expecting him to get to. I had my share of points where I was not happy with my miss or the outcome. I shall have to learn how to better get over it.
To do Bang Impact, you really have to use a lot of the body and have the timing. J-Pen dude had it over and over. (In practice, in the match I only fed him for 2 games)

The top non-pro player (Prolly USATT 2700 or higher) (He just recently defeated a K&G pro team player) (Just about all the Korean pros are USATT 2800ish minimum for starters) got supplied a Nexy Oscar (ST) with Genius. (I'm not sure he even he uses Shakehand for his normal setup) Nexy and top non-pro player went to SNUTTC to teach some TT.

I'll probably write a thread about this visit later, there are a lot of other neat stuff I discovered on that visit.
I visited SNUTTC yesterday again.
And now my staff is working on the pictures and video clips.
But I'm not sure you would like the video of your play against that J-pen guy.
If you want, then I will post it in youtube.

Any way, I'm so thankful for your kindness.
You taught them a lot and all the students are also very much thankful for your teachings.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/19/2011 at 10:26pm
Not like my play? haha. You bet not. I got creamed first game and barely made any shots, but turned it around. I bet my vids look much different than being at the TT table on the other side.

I thank you for giving me the chance to go there and check them out. One of them really liked my 1-2-3 angle blocking scheme.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/20/2011 at 5:17am
By the way, that top non-pro player who kicked tail vs KT&G squad, he was the one teaching. I lost to him 8,7,1. (or something close to that) Dude is so good, our club captain, a 2200 level player would get a 5 point handicap and still lose soundly. My score wouldn't have even been half of what it was if he brought one of his rackets he normanly uses.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/21/2011 at 8:43am
To BH-man,

So... it was enjoyable from your side.

I really enjoyed that day, and I'm planning to bring those players to one city hall team in my city.
I've got permission to let my players have one day training with those real professional players.
If you are interested, I think I can invite to that event.
You will have a real hot match...because they are little bit higher than that best player.
But it will not be easy for you to have one day off, without special reason.
Any way, I will leave a message when I have a specific day for it.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 01/21/2011 at 7:30pm

Haha. I don't mind getting my blood spilled by the div 1 players, semi-pros, or pros. I already know what is going to happen, so I do not have much expectations. What irks me is not playing like I should against an opponent I should be winning points.

Let me know which day gets approved, I'll see what I can do. I've got a couple days off withing the next 4 weeks. Maybe the day you schedule falls on one of these. Otherwise, I'll make something happen.

-------------

Posted By: korearulz
Date Posted: 01/23/2011 at 12:37am
Do they play 1부?

-------------
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia

Date Posted: 01/23/2011 at 5:27am
The 전국1부선수 (National Level Div 1) players I see are easily USATT 2500 minimum, many higher. The top non pro player who went to SNUTTC was proabably better than 99 percent of the National level div 1+ players. The players under contract to play for the cities in and around Seoul are likely to be 2650-2700 USATT conservative estimate. The dude who played Pushblocker in Team Nationals probably wasn't their ace player and got rated over 2600. He played for Yong-In city team.

If Nexy hooks me up to play a few matches against that crowd, all those semi pro players are doing will be to toy around with me. I would offer zero threat against that crowd, but still show them some heavy openers and counters, should they decide to give me those chances.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/28/2011 at 9:32pm
HOW TO MAKE BIG SPIN ON YOUR SERVICE

This topic is an exceptional one. It's not about my blade design, but still I found out many players don't know this.

As I wrote in the previous article, many players generally understand that creating a big spin requires a prolonged contact area between the rubber and ball. But when a ball hits the topsheet of a rubber, it does not roll on it. Generally, it goes deep into the rubber and makes the topsheet and sponge compress. And the rubber's topsheet and sponge makes the ball spin when it expands back to its normal shape. Therefore, it's not about rolling, it's about sinking into and springing back.

This is not only in rare cases. I think in most cases the ball does not roll on the surface.

The phrase "bang impact" happens when the ball goes deep enough to touch the wooden surface.
Even when the ball does not go deep into the wood and make a big sound, it does not normally roll. It simply goes deep into the rubber and gets repelled by the power of rubber's return to its normal shape. That's when the big spin is generated. Many players who read my previous article may have mistakenly believed that this only happens when they make "bang impact.” So, I needed to make this clearer.

Here is another example:  Many of you may have tried to roll the ball on your rubber as much as possible when trying to make a big spin on your service. So, you might think you need to move the racket wide to give the ball a longer trail to roll on. That may be the general belief, but in fact, if you look at slow motion video clips of high level players' service motion, you will know that this is not true. Even when you make a service, the ball does not roll. It simply goes deep into the rubber and gets expelled. It’s the same procedure as looping — the ball does not roll!

Just think more about the basic character and relationship of a rubber and blade. They are made to bounce off one another. The ball cannot hold onto a blade when hit by it. So, the moment the ball stays on the rubber it is not rolling, and it must be going deep and then expelling out. All the spin has to be made while the ball goes in and then out of the rubber. Therefore, when you want to make a big spin on your service, it has to be accomplished in the short moment when the ball impacts your rubber, goes deep, and catapults off. It's not only about  a big swing movement. It's about the very short but quick movement when the ball it picked up by the rubber.

You can easily test this theory by slicing the ball with very short but quick swing downward movement. Even though the racket does not move wide, and the angle of the racket is not possible to make the ball roll, still the ball will have the same or bigger spin than usual.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: johnny89atc
Date Posted: 01/29/2011 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the article Nexy!

-------------
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9

Date Posted: 03/07/2011 at 10:40am
It has not been smooth.
Communication took a lot more time than I thought, and also we met barriers in the way.
There came a rock, and we had to search for another new place.
But I think overall, all was worthy of those trials.

Please, have a look at the pictures taken one month before.

And after these several pictures, I had to wait to meet the final good news.
Here is the whole of that news sent to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project is complete

Dear Moon

it is my hope that you are doing well.

i am so happy to write to you this time and giving the good news to
say tha our project is complete. i realy thank God for his mercy which
has brought us to the end of this project. It is a good thing to
admit that we have been through the ups and downs but God has been
very faithful to us by putting us together joining our efforts for the
success of this project.

i should also use this oportunity to thank you my brother Moon you are
a very patient, honest, generous and good man of God, God bless you so
much and iam sure that God will multply you.

i cant find the exact words to express the joy of people in that
village every one is very happy especially the chief (traditional
leader of that village) who have been there for many years he is the
person who can explain on how people have been suffering from water
problem for a long time, women and children have been walking for a
long distance looking for water. to them it is like a dream until now
if you go there you will see that no one is seems to believe that the
water is flowing from the well.

Currently there is a big amount of water flowing from the well, one
thing i would like to tell you is, in order for the project to be
totaly completed there is one step left which is that; we are supposed
to take the sample of water from that well for a test in the
laboratory and wait for their recommendation to see how much the water
is useful for human being consumption.

But all in all the project is over and as you can see in the pictures
i sent you before there a lot of water flowing from the well.

Atfer getting the recommendations from the lab scientist i will brief
you on the results.

God bless you am looking foward to hear from you soon.

Bishop Yohana masinga
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I could meet these pictures.
I think all the nexy users will be welcoming these pictures, and I want to share my joy with
those guys.
Please, have a look at those.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net