Print Page | Close Window

Historic Table Tennis Photos

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Pictures & Videos
Forum Name: Videos
Forum Description: Post table tennis video download information here.
Moderator: mickd
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41523
Printed Date: 04/24/2024 at 8:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Historic Table Tennis Photos
Posted By: liXiao
Subject: Historic Table Tennis Photos
Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 9:05pm
Sometimes its hard to get such a good look at the past of our great sport, so over the past few months, I have made it my duty to find the best photos from our sport over the past 30 years. here are some I'd like to share. 

The Great Wall
Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, Zhuang Zedong
1986 Asian Cup, won by Wei Qingguang (pictured)
He Zhiwen, when he still played for China 
He Zhili, the chinese ex-patriot who in 87, won the women's singles gold in New Delhi, as well as three ATTC titles (for China) and one for Japan, where she beat Deng Yaping in the final (one of Deng's hand full of losses)
The great Jiang Jialiang, twice in a row a winner of the WTTC
Chen Jing, the first Olympian
Wei Qingguang and Chen Longcan
Deng Yaping, Chen Jing, Qiao Hong
Wei Qingguang found immense success after leaving China, being one of Japan's most dominant players, and after retiring a valued coach.
Even Chen Longcan played in the JTTL for awhile, though by this time in the very early 90s, his career had finally come to a close. 

Replies:
Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 9:09pm
Wang Tao, advertisement for Avalox

Posted By: GeneralSpecific
Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 9:15pm
Very nice photos. Very interesting to see He Zhi Wen so young haha.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Posted By: kenneyy88
Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 10:36pm
lol Wang Tao thumbs up. Nice pictures. 

Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 10:52pm
Its actually more of an advertisement for Nittaku, with the Nittaku shirt, shorts, shoes, Nittaku JO Waldner socks, and a nittaku p700

Posted By: qynthnghm
Date Posted: 04/26/2011 at 11:25pm
He Zhi Wen lookin' very svelt. Also, Wang Tao, sweet kicks.

Posted By: Dont Chop MeNow
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:52am
I want those Waldner socks.

-------------
Invincibility lies in the Defense, the possibility of victory lies in the Attack.

Posted By: pablogilberto
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:43pm
Wow, Zhuang Zedong! - THE one pivotal person that made the historic Pingpong Diplomacy between China and US!!

Posted By: ttCrawsaive
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:49pm
But He Zhi Wen? Did he actually reach big titles?
When and why did he leave China?
He still plays great xD

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ttCrawsaive

Posted By: zzzuppp
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by pablogilberto pablogilberto wrote:

Wow, Zhuang Zedong! - THE one pivotal person that made the historic Pingpong Diplomacy between China and US!!

I think you forgot Glenn Cowan, without whom... etc

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by ttCrawsaive ttCrawsaive wrote:

He still plays great xD

He Zhiwen was in the Chinese team for the 85 and 87 Worlds, best result was a bronze in the MD.

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

He still plays great xD

He Zhiwen was in the Chinese team for the 85 and 87 Worlds, best result was a bronze in the MD.

Who was his doubles partner? I know Wei and Chen won the 87 worlds for doubles. 

Posted By: pablogilberto
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:50pm

Originally posted by pablogilberto pablogilberto wrote:

I think you forgot Glenn Cowan, without whom... etc

True - but it was Zedong who was at a crossroads and was the one who made the decision whether to speak with an American or not... 

Posted By: ChichoFicho
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:08pm
The greatest player of all times

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: DHSriver
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:18pm
Great photos. Heard a lot about Zhuang Zedong, never seen his picture until now. BTY, of the 5 in the photo, which one is Zhuang Zedong. from L to R ?

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:22pm

World Champion Tanaka

Shigeo Itoh

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:38pm

Three young Chinese kids - one of them (guess who) is David Zhuang, another one- great Jiang Jialiang (from the time when they both were on the same junior provincial team! - Guangdong Province Youth Team)

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:43pm
Check out this one

http://oldphotosjapan.com/en/photos/321/practicing-table-tennis - http://oldphotosjapan.com/en/photos/321/practicing-table-tennis

Back in 1935 they were already using J-Pen shaped paddles! this means that shape is older than period after WWII when supposedly TT became more popular in the East after USA/UK influence has increased there significantly.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:46pm
Tons of old blades in our own thread

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16834 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16834

Also Greg Letts put together a very nice Illustrated History of Ping-Pong with many old photos

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/olympicgames/ig/Illustrated-History-of-TT/ - Illustrated History of http://tabletennis.about.com/od/olympicgames/ig/Illustrated-History-of-TT/ - Table Tennis

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by DHSriver DHSriver wrote:

Great photos. Heard a lot about Zhuang Zedong, never seen his picture until now. BTY, of the 5 in the photo, which one is Zhuang Zedong. from L to R ?

From L:R

Zhuang Zedong, Xi Enting, Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, and the fifth I'm not sure. 

Posted By: DHSriver
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:07pm
Thanks for the update.

Posted By: qynthnghm
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Three young Chinese kids - one of them (guess who) is David Zhuang, another one- great Jiang Jialiang (from the time when they both were on the same junior provincial team! - Guangdong Province Youth Team)

Jiang Jialiang is definitely the kid on the right. Correct, Jim? Looks like him.

Posted By: Jeff(ATTC)
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:46pm
Wow skinny Wang Tao. LOL

-------------
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05

Posted By: king_pong
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 2:10am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Its actually more of an advertisement for Nittaku, with the Nittaku shirt, shorts, shoes, Nittaku JO Waldner socks, and a nittaku p700

How much for the socks?  I WANT THOSE SOCKS!  lol!  LOL  Classic!!

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 6:15am

Um, that's not right-
From L to R- Zhuang Zedong, ZHANG XIELIN, Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, XU YINSHENG

Xi Enting came much later. This is the 1961 SC winning team.

Posted By: chris.b40
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 9:51am
Can someone identify  Jiang Jialiang's blade ?

-------------
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER

Posted By: wealthweb
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 10:15am

Wang Tao, advertisement for Avalox

My Chinese coach told me that this handsome young man Wang Tao has became a Major General of the Liberation Army and is still currently active with the Army's Team 81 where Wang Hao was trained as a junior. By the way LGL also came from Team 81.

-------------
Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:57am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Jiang Jialiang is definitely the kid on the right. Correct, Jim? Looks like him.

Yes you are correct. David Zhuang is in the middle.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 1:01pm
Seiji Ono

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 5:28pm

He still plays great xD

In '85 he partnered Fan Changmao to the semi-final (and made the last 16 of the singles).
In '87 he partnered Jiang Jialiang to the QF, and He Zhili (that years women's world champion) in the Mixed, where they also made the QF.
I guess he left China, along with lots of others, when he lost his place in the National squad but was free to play abroad.

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 10:42pm

He still plays great xD

In '85 he partnered Fan Changmao to the semi-final (and made the last 16 of the singles).
In '87 he partnered Jiang Jialiang to the QF, and He Zhili (that years women's world champion) in the Mixed, where they also made the QF.
I guess he left China, along with lots of others, when he lost his place in the National squad but was free to play abroad.

Interesting, I was curious to see who won the mixed doubles that year, and surprisingly it was Hui Jun (who I've never even heard of) and Geng Lijuan (runner up to Cao Yanhua in 85). I'm surprised He and He (haha) didn't win that year, considering she won singles and went undefeated in team events. 

Date Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:15am
Hui Jun won the Asian Cup in '84, and was RU in the Asian Games in '86. I think Doubles was his speciality,he and Teng Yi won the Asian Games and Asian Champs in '86, but were surprised in the '87 Worlds by a pair from Taipei. He got to the last 8 of the singles without dropping a game but was blasted away by Jiang.
As to the Mixed Doubles, Hui and Geng beat He and He (hehe) in the QF. It was probably fixed; back then when China were so dominant, they liked to give as many people as possible a share of the medals, it seems.

Posted By: shaolinTT
Date Posted: 04/30/2011 at 2:36am

Um, that's not right-
From L to R- Zhuang Zedong, ZHANG XIELIN, Rong Guotuan, Li Furong, XU YINSHENG

Xi Enting came much later. This is the 1961 SC winning team.
I think this is the 1961 World Team Champ. (Beijing or Peking):

L to R:
Zhuang Zedong
Wang Chuanyao
Rong Guotuan
Li Furong
Xu Yinsheng

Wang like Zhuang is a 2 Wing (dual sided) attacker.

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 3:21am
That picture with China 1st/2nd/3rd in the women's singles (1988 Olympics in South Korea).
Jiao Zhimin got a bronze but she knew it would at least be a silver and possibly a gold.  She was told to lose in the semi-final.  A possible first ever Olympics TT Gold medal she was ordered to give up...Cry
A final between Chen Jing and Jiao Zhimin would have been more interesting and exciting.

Posted By: king_pong
Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 6:38am
I don't think he'd won World's at this point.  Just an up-and-comer. Smile

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by shaolinTT shaolinTT wrote:

That picture with China 1st/2nd/3rd in the women's singles (1988 Olympics in South Korea).
Jiao Zhimin got a bronze but she knew it would at least be a silver and possibly a gold.  She was told to lose in the semi-final.  A possible first ever Olympics TT Gold medal she was ordered to give up...Cry
A final between Chen Jing and Jiao Zhimin would have been more interesting and exciting.

how do you know  that???  jiang jialiang lose to yu from china in 1989wttc would have been better  for china if jiang would have overcome  yu..how do you back those conspiracy?? hope soemthing better  than" my coach was a friend  of...""  ------>  one of the biggest lies heard in tt circles

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 3:12pm
This has been discussed recently. Jiao Zhimin was ordered to throw the Olympic semi; she says as much in a recent interview which ShaolinTT will remember the link for.
The reason was thus: in the '87 Worlds Jiao was surpirisingly beaten in the last 16 by Hrachova of Czechoslovakia. In Seoul Hrachova reached the semi-final to face Chen Jing. If Jiao beat Li Huifen in the other semi, she might end up facing Hrachova in the Final, and possibly lose again, so that China would lose the Gold despite having three semi-finalists.
So Jiao was ordered to lose. As it happened, Chen beat Hrachova comfortably, and eventually so did Jiao, in the Bronze match. Which must have really pissed her off, a hollow victory.

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 5:01pm
Yeah, we can always add a lot of "ifs".
If He Zhili was allowed to play.
If Cao Yanhua did not quit TT abruptly at her prime.  She now says that looking back, she would have stayed on to play the 1st Olympics TT.
I am not saying Chen Jing doesn't deserve her Gold.  She is a great player.
All these ladies are great players and great people.  "If" they are players of today, be allowed to compete fairly, that would be nice!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net