Print Page | Close Window

New BW II (red sponge)

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41546
Printed Date: 04/19/2024 at 6:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New BW II (red sponge)
Posted By: PongPong
Subject: New BW II (red sponge)
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 8:26pm
Anyone tried this new version of BWII with red sponge? How is it compared with H3 Neo?

Replies:
Posted By: beeray1
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:18pm
I haven't even heard of this.. what's the story? And I'm getting one.

Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:22pm
supposadely it's lighter.

It's a win win for me if I want to play BW2 again- the old ones are now 15 and 20 dollars and the new one is 30. BW3 still 90 though....

Posted By: qynthnghm
Date Posted: 04/27/2011 at 11:47pm
Where did you find this red sponged BWII?

Posted By: Anton Chigurh
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 1:09am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

http://www.mytabletennis.com/shop/rubber/inverted-rubber/haifu-whale-ii-rubber-upgrade-version-factory-tuned-with-permanent-tension.html

Thumbs Up

Beeray1, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this rubber after you've tried it. Smile

-------------
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

http://www.mytabletennis.com/shop/rubber/inverted-rubber/haifu-whale-ii-rubber-upgrade-version-factory-tuned-with-permanent-tension.html

Thumbs Up

Handshake

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 3:08am

Thumbs Up

Beeray1, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this rubber after you've tried it. Smile

hey no problem. I'll probably do a full review compared to the old BW2, I played it long enough that i still remember it well. Granted it might be better to buy one of the older versions also since they are cheap. I can get a new one and an old one and still spend 25 dollars less than one sheet of tenergy. Or I could get two new ones and still spend 15 dollars less than a sheet of tenergy.

I'm sick of the differences along the cycle of a tuning job, and I don't like NEO. I was thinking of either starting to just super prime my rubber and see how that goes... or go back to BW2. And now that i've seen this, I'm thinking I'm going to give BW2 another shot. At least that way I won't have to mess around with my racket for a while, because BW2 is just fast enough all the time, as is Hammond X... which I don't know why more people aren't using this rubber also..

My only complaint about BW2 ever was the fact that the topsheet seemed to not last, but I have a sheet of BW3 that seems to tell me otherwise.. so maybe it's fixed by now.

Either way, I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted By: Ndragon88
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 3:23am
Yes please beeray1. Thank you :)
My issue with BW2 is quality control.

-------------
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 3:45am
Didn't realize that BWII had gotten so cheap! My frugality often restricts me from purchasing rubbers over $30. Red sponge sounds awesome, but I'll hold off until the review before I decide to get the upgraded version. I love how Tenergy is always the go-to rubber to compare savings. LOL

I recently bought 6 rubbers for half the cost of a Tenergy.

Posted By: Trottski
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 8:34am
Get it Beeray! 

Posted By: Carbon TT
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:23am

I love how Tenergy is always the go-to rubber to compare savings.

I find it kind of ironic, because it's no where near the most expensive rubber out there with both BWIII and Shark III at $90/piece.  Compared to them, Tenergy is a bargain.

The rubber prices I really find absurd are under the "special rubbers" section of prott.cc.Dead

-------------
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Carbon TT Carbon TT wrote:

I find it kind of ironic, because it's no where near the most expensive rubber out there with both BWIII and Shark III at $90/piece.  Compared to them, Tenergy is a bargain.

The rubber prices I really find absurd are under the "special rubbers" section of prott.cc.Dead

"Nowhere near"? Haifu Whale III (untuned), while admittedly obscenely overpriced, is $85. Tenergy is $75. That's a $10 difference, which I would assume to most people is fairly trivial.

Further, I fail to see the irony, as no one in this thread who is complaining about Tenergy pricing is contemplating purchasing Whale III. Confused

Even the prott.cc rubbers, which I agree are also overpriced, still make more sense to me. At least they're allegedly "special" in some way. They are (again, allegedly) professional level rubbers that cannot normally be purchased.

However, in the last few months Tenergy went from $50 to $75 while still being the exact same rubber. No changes, nothing special, and yet some people are still willing to pay an extra $25/sheet for the same product they used to get for $25 less.

Financially speaking, I cannot think of anything that better fits the definition of "absurd". LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:45am

Originally posted by Carbon TT Carbon TT wrote:

"Nowhere near"? Haifu Whale III (untuned), while admittedly obscenely overpriced, is $85. Tenergy is $75. That's a $10 difference, which I would assume to most people is fairly trivial.

Further, I fail to see the irony, as no one in this thread who is complaining about Tenergy pricing is contemplating purchasing Whale III. Confused

Even the prott.cc rubbers, which I agree are also overpriced, still make more sense to me. At least they're allegedly "special" in some way. They are (again, allegedly) professional level rubbers that cannot normally be purchased.

However, in the last few months Tenergy went from $50 to $75 while still being the exact same rubber. No changes, nothing special, and yet some people are still willing to pay an extra $25/sheet for the same product they used to get for $25 less.

Financially speaking, I cannot think of anything that better fits the definition of "absurd". LOL

I don't think you got the memo, Anton, but actually Timo Boll rubs each new Tenergy 05 sheet off the factory line against his tummy for extra luck. You can't put a price on luck.

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:49am

I don't think you got the memo, Anton, but actually Timo Boll rubs each new Tenergy 05 sheet off the factory line against his tummy for extra luck. You can't put a price on luck.

Well then, that's another story.

I retract my conclusion. Tenergy is obviously a bargain. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 11:58am
Since the special rubs at prott.cc were brought up, anyone know if they're legit at all? Should I finally drop some dough on a "provincial" Hurricane? See what the hub-bub's about?

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:06pm

Since the special rubs at prott.cc were brought up, anyone know if they're legit at all? Should I finally drop some dough on a "provincial" Hurricane? See what the hub-bub's about?

As far as I know, prott.cc is run by George Hong. He is an ex-provincial team member. He used to sling his wares here until he was banned... for slinging his wares.

Anyway, I think he's pretty legit and most people seem to say the same thing. But, as always, caveat emptor.

If you're wanting to super-prime some non-Neo provincial H3 (#20 sponge), I know for certain that Albert at powerpingpong.com is legit.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:09pm

As far as I know, prott.cc is run by George Hong. He is an ex-provincial team member. He used to sling his wares here until he was banned... for slinging his wares.

Anyway, I think he's pretty legit and most people seem to say the same thing. But, as always, caveat emptor.

Hmm...hmm. Hmm. HMM. Sounds good enough for me. I think the $100 Hurricanes were lightly rubbed under Wang Liqin's right armpit to tune the sponge with luck. Again, I must stress that you can't put a price on luck. As always, "Latin phrase".

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:15pm

Hmm...hmm. Hmm. HMM. Sounds good enough for me. I think the $100 Hurricanes were lightly rubbed under Wang Liqin's right armpit to tune the sponge with luck. Again, I must stress that you can't put a price on luck. As always, "Latin phrase".

It wasn't his armpit... Wink

asinus asinum fricat

-------------

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:16pm

If you're wanting to super-prime some non-Neo provincial H3 (#20 sponge), I know for certain that Albert at powerpingpong.com is legit.

Funny that you mentioned that. I've always believed Albert was legit. Then I made a thread called "DHS NEO Sponge Ripple" and icontek claims that he's gotten some non-rippled smooth-sponged Hurricanes (implying that they were fake) from Albert. I don't think any of the ones I've gotten from him were fake though.

I almost forgot that he sold the provincial rubs, thanks for reminding me. It's at least $10 cheaper, not figuring in shipping costs. Guess I'll never get one of those sweet blue sponges. Cry

Posted By: icontek
Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:20pm
Prott.cc has some really high quality "provincials". Noticeably more elastic than commercials and more versatile and require zero break in.

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Date Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:21pm
Well, speak of the devil...

Date Posted: 04/29/2011 at 9:01pm
Played with BWII training version (tuned) today and wondered why I ever stopped using it. Think I'm done with H3 for now, maybe forever. Looping mid-distance was a total breeze and I enjoyed the softer sponge and overall feel. Though I did suffer greatly on service, the spin wasn't comparable but I'm blaming it more on my technique. Although the sheet wasn't very tacky but that maybe because it's the training version? Not sure of the differences but I recall my last BWII being much tackier. Anyway, I think I'm going to plop down some cash for the upgraded version for sure now, but beeray might beat me to it. I'd still like to hear a review, although I still can't resist the new low price of the regular versions.

Posted By: liXiao
Date Posted: 04/30/2011 at 9:08pm
According to a translation of Jasupo, the new Blue Whale II is much much lighter and has a thinner top sheet. Also there are two distinct differences in hardness in the rubbers they sampled, some were very soft and others were much harder. They also claim that the speed compared to the original blue whale is twice as fast. 

Date Posted: 04/30/2011 at 9:31pm
I've been thinking about this all day. I can't REALLY afford to buy rubber right now, but I think I will anyway. This is motivation to play BW2 again. I miss it. Even though I'm finally in a groove and completely figured out my tuning process for H3, I still don't enjoy the act of doing it.

twice as fast would be scary lixiao......... lol. Have you ever used BW2 before?

I think If i can hold out till next check, I'll get a sheet of old and a sheet of new and try a comparison... but really what will likely happen is i wont be able to wait and I'm going to just buy a new one and do a comparison based on memory. I'll weigh it and junk when I do get it because I know how people care about that.

Also, the red sponge will look sexy on my clipper with all its red stripey-ness. Wink

Posted By: liXiao
Date Posted: 04/30/2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I've been thinking about this all day. I can't REALLY afford to buy rubber right now, but I think I will anyway. This is motivation to play BW2 again. I miss it. Even though I'm finally in a groove and completely figured out my tuning process for H3, I still don't enjoy the act of doing it.

twice as fast would be scary lixiao......... lol. Have you ever used BW2 before?

I think If i can hold out till next check, I'll get a sheet of old and a sheet of new and try a comparison... but really what will likely happen is i wont be able to wait and I'm going to just buy a new one and do a comparison based on memory. I'll weigh it and junk when I do get it because I know how people care about that.

Also, the red sponge will look sexy on my clipper with all its red stripey-ness. Wink

I've always really wanted to try it, but I haven't gotten around to it. I really want to buy some Whale III, since its much cheaper in Asia than in the US. 

Posted By: Nori
Date Posted: 04/30/2011 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Prott.cc has some really high quality "provincials". Noticeably more elastic than commercials and more versatile and require zero break in.

are they reliable?

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

I've always really wanted to try it, but I haven't gotten around to it. I really want to buy some Whale III, since its much cheaper in Asia than in the US. 

It's definitely a great rubber, 2 or 3. Where do you find Whale 3 in asia that's cheap? I'll tell you buddy, that's a great rubber. It's almost the perfect rubber. And I only got to try a used sheet.

I'm psyched about the new Whale 2 because it seems like a step closer to 3, and I know how great 3 is.

Are you still using photino/T05/T64?  

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 6:35am

Perfect blade to have a red sponge. My Clipper has that going on as well, hooray for color coordination.

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 6:45am
How many changes should a rubber undergo before it just seems like a totally different rubber altogether?

After playing so well the other day with the training version and all this talk, I really can't wait any longer. Going to explode. Nuke Must buy...

Can anyone tell me if the Haifu 40 deg is on a similar scale as the H3's?

Posted By: bluebucket
Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 7:35am
The Haifu sponge rating is higher than DHS's. Like say 39 in BW2 is more like 41 or 42 in DHS sponge

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 7:43am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

The Haifu sponge rating is higher than DHS's. Like say 39 in BW2 is more like 41 or 42 in DHS sponge

Thanks, bluebucket. I was just at the checkout when I refreshed this page and saw your reply. I'm going to purchase the 38 deg. My last BWII was 37. Hopefully it arrives on time before the university closes for the summer. Dead

Posted By: onurzaim
Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 5:09pm
I've been using red sponge haifu bw II for a month. I got it from a sponsored Chinese player who plays in Turkey. He gave me the rubber with 38 degrees of sponge.

38 degrees haifu has the hardness of 40 degrees dhs at close table. Mid and far distance is another story. I'll explain.

First thing I realized  is the Mid distance problem with Haifu Black sponge is gone. Sometimes you could experience sudden drops at hid and half distance. With the black spoge version although many of my fellows loved the service and close to table characteristics they quit using it and continued using euro and jap rubbers.

The sponge is hard but bouncy ,not stiff. The top sheet looked like a little bit different to me. Myabe its because its a sponsored version of the rubber the top sheet is more flexible and looks more gentle but I could not see any colorization in a month while a DHS provincials lasts only a month for me.

The rubber is definetly for the power spin player who also wants close to table control aswell. 

Dhs h3 still has the best top sheet. I can do better openings and serves with Dhs H3.

Haifu has the power. I can do better and more controled rallies with the red sponge Haifu Bw II.

Although it has more flexibility I still recommend All wood or arylate blades for more efficient use.

-------------
Frindship F-1
Forhand: Hurricane 3 39
Backhand: Haifu Shark III pink sponge

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 5:19pm
I must confess: I purchased a sheet yesterday. Wacko

That's what I get for coming around here more lately. As completely happy as I am with my current stuff (and have been for a couple months now), I post here a few times in a week and all of a sudden I'm EJing again. Sick

-------------

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 6:07pm
compared to the provincial versions of blue whale II the red sponge is a downgrade in speed and spin.

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Nori Nori wrote:

compared to the provincial versions of blue whale II the red sponge is a downgrade in speed and spin.
I never heard of "the provincial versions of blue whale II", though. It only has national version(red label?).

Date Posted: 05/01/2011 at 9:21pm
A friend of mine picks them up in Hong Kong. 

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 12:23am

I must confess: I purchased a sheet yesterday. Wacko

That's what I get for coming around here more lately. As completely happy as I am with my current stuff (and have been for a couple months now), I post here a few times in a week and all of a sudden I'm EJing again. Sick

One of us...one of us...Dead

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 1:24am
lol sorry, It's still worth trying instead of getting scared by a 3rd or potentially 4th person opinion of them. Otherwise, the old BW2 is half the price and just as easy to go back to.

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 1:28am
Beeray, do you just get the untuned version and tune it yourself with haifu oil?

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 1:29am
if I could be lucky enough to have my hands on haifu oil I would...but I'm just going to buy the tuned version.

I heard that stuff was going for like 600 dollars a bottle to some chinese provincial players.... insane.

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 1:46am

if I could be lucky enough to have my hands on haifu oil I would...but I'm just going to buy the tuned version.

I heard that stuff was going for like 600 dollars a bottle to some chinese provincial players.... insane.

Are we talking about that blue bottle that Albert has at $33 for 300ml, or something else entirely? I was contemplating whether or not it would be cost effective in the long run to just tune our own BWII's.

I bought two sheets of the upgraded BWII along with a bottle of Haifu speedglue just to try it out. I know it's not the oil, but I got an old BWII with the removed tuning layer that I'd like to try it on.

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 1:57am
that stuff is not the oil... its the Water solubility bond. Even though it says oil. The oil is brown and in a yellow bottle. The WSB is what they use to tune the BW2 now, but they used to come pre tuned with the brown Haifu Oil and then 10 layers of WSB. Now its just the WSB.

BW2 is weird on speedglue, but I kind of like it. I used to do that. It's worth trying if you can speedglue.

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 4:18am
Tulip I think has tuning oil that looks exactly the same as the haiu oil, it's cheap too. Plenty of brands in China have similar/same stuff

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 11:35am
Tulip? I've never heard of Tulip... do you have any more examples or just the one? also, where did you find it?

Posted By: chris.b40
Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 3:42pm

[QUOTE=qynthnghm]Where did you find this red sponged BWII?

I'm sick of the differences along the cycle of a tuning job, and I don't like NEO.

I was in a similar frame of mind about the neo series ,thought it seemed too " plastic like" etc. I stuck with the regular H3,then I decided to spend some time playing this rubber and believe me Beeray 1  this is way better more powerful than most rubbers on the market,I think you should but another sheet of Neo Hurricane and give it another try.  Wink

-------------
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER

Date Posted: 05/02/2011 at 11:52pm
Really PongPong? You posted this in Coaching & Tips?

No wonder it hasn't hit 100 replies yet :)

Moved to equipment forum.

Please watch the littering.

-------------

Posted By: wyatt
Date Posted: 05/03/2011 at 8:48pm
anyone using it now? please give a review..

-------------
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0

Date Posted: 05/03/2011 at 9:26pm
You can read my review if you scroll up. Thumbs Up

Ask me any question you like to.

-------------
Frindship F-1

Date Posted: 05/03/2011 at 11:21pm
could you compare it with the old BW II the perm tension batch black sponge?

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 05/03/2011 at 11:35pm
With the new red sponge you get almost the same close to table futures + Euro/jap like mid distance performance.

The sponge is more flexible. This may cause your balls to jump higher in serve returns.

The serve is more spinny.

You do not get a feel like you are hitting a brick (which I like actually).

You get more speed.

In first times I had difficulties in controlling. The ball was going off the table in critical balls (especially when I was tired).

National version black sponge version topsheets are sticked to the sponge much better. I did not experience yet but my professional friends had bubbles in few sheets. Maybe we need to wait for national versions.

Off the table half cut ball spinning is more efficient.

Counter spinning is more deadly.

Only negative thing is close to table/net control is lost little bit. You could do more deadly drops with black sponge haifu's.

If throwing angle is necessary I can give a link to one of my training with red sponge haifu.

That is all I can write right now.

-------------
Frindship F-1

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 12:18am
I would like to see this training video showcasing the new BWII, if possible. Thanks. Smile

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:12am
please share the link

thanks

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 4:13am
btw hope it isnt the same as the old ones that topsheets separate from sponge easily..

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 5:56am
I tested mine. It is not like training versions. My sheet don't seperate from sponge.

I have a very short slip doing Bh - FH drill. My forhand is BW II.

http://dai.ly/jhYwjk - http://dai.ly/jhYwjk

Maybe I can post longer videos later.

-------------
Frindship F-1

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 6:34am
I had several sheets of of BW II perm tension black sponge( not the training versions) which the topsheet separated from the sponge.. started from the sides..

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 8:45am
Japsko.com do a National BW2 version that is very good.

Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by onurzaim onurzaim wrote:

With the new red sponge you get almost the same close to table futures + Euro/jap like mid distance performance.

The sponge is more flexible. This may cause your balls to jump higher in serve returns.

The serve is more spinny.

You do not get a feel like you are hitting a brick (which I like actually).

You get more speed.

In first times I had difficulties in controlling. The ball was going off the table in critical balls (especially when I was tired).

National version black sponge version topsheets are sticked to the sponge much better. I did not experience yet but my professional friends had bubbles in few sheets. Maybe we need to wait for national versions.

Off the table half cut ball spinning is more efficient.

Counter spinning is more deadly.

Only negative thing is close to table/net control is lost little bit. You could do more deadly drops with black sponge haifu's.

If throwing angle is necessary I can give a link to one of my training with red sponge haifu.

That is all I can write right now.
Is it much lighter than its old version? How about throw, higher or about the same? Do you think it can be used for BH?

Posted By: Thaidog
Date Posted: 05/04/2011 at 10:28pm
Does anyone have any pics of this sheet out of the plastic?

-------------
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Does anyone have any pics of this sheet out of the plastic?

Don't know Anton or Beeray have gotten their sheets yet. But I have some from MYTT that have already been shipped. As soon as I get them, I'll upload some detailed pics of the topsheet and sponge.

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 9:50am
[/QUOTE]
Is it much lighter than its old version? How about throw, higher or about the same? Do you think it can be used for BH?[/QUOTE]

No there is not noticable weight difference.

I think this rubber is good for forhand.

Throw angle depends on technique, blade, distance, force, sponge. I posted a video for you to see the throw angle. I think it is little bit higher than black sponge but as I think it is still subject of discussion.

I am posting 3 pictures for inspecting. Altough my camera is not a very good camera you may have some clues about the topsheet and the sponge.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104473575324618446734/HaifuBWIIRedSponge?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-tnIGvuaDOHQ# - https://picasaweb.google.com/104473575324618446734/HaifuBWIIRedSponge?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-tnIGvuaDOHQ#

-------------
Frindship F-1

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 10:48am
is the sponge a little porous? looks like it in the pic

edit:

Seems like the way it was cut make it look like it is a little porous, above comment was made without zooming the pic.. Embarrassed LOL

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 05/05/2011 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by onurzaim onurzaim wrote:

Is it much lighter than its old version? How about throw, higher or about the same? Do you think it can be used for BH?[/QUOTE]

No there is not noticable weight difference.

I think this rubber is good for forhand.

Throw angle depends on technique, blade, distance, force, sponge. I posted a video for you to see the throw angle. I think it is little bit higher than black sponge but as I think it is still subject of discussion.

I am posting 3 pictures for inspecting. Altough my camera is not a very good camera you may have some clues about the topsheet and the sponge.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104473575324618446734/HaifuBWIIRedSponge?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-tnIGvuaDOHQ# - https://picasaweb.google.com/104473575324618446734/HaifuBWIIRedSponge?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-tnIGvuaDOHQ#

[/QUOTE]
 Thanks for the pictures. At least, the top sheet looks "top" rated, very nice.

Posted By: GSOM_GSOM11
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:38am
Is it like the early Whales which were in production before Permanent Tension was introduced?
Those old ones were far superior to Permanent Tension ones - which of then is closer to the new Whale?

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:48am
Drove home to find my new blade (from Megaspin) and BWIIs 38 deg (from MYTT) arrived on the same day! Don't you love when things just work out like that? Big smile Here are some pics, but forgive the low-res quality since I only have my Logitech webcam available at the moment:

This is the sponge with the plastic still on, obviously. It's a very deep red, almost maroon/sangria (if you really want to get specific...)

Here is the sponge and tuning layer with the plastic off. I didn't want to rip the entire thing off, but you get the idea.

Now I'm just being silly. Here's my wind-up robot traversing the grippy/tacky landscape.

So, I don't have a scale so I can't tell you whether or not it weighs less than the old BWII, nor do I have an uncut old BWII anyways so it wouldn't even matter. But it feels lighter. Ermm You'll notice I didn't bother taking any pics of the sponge and topsheet edge, that's because the webcam doesn't have a macro feature so the pics wound up so blurry it wasn't even worth showing.

But the obvious differences are that the new topsheet is thinner as suspected, and by comparing the logo edge with the old BWII, the new pips are spaced slightly closer together, and are also slightly thinner and longer in comparison. Once I cut the rubber and separate the sponge from the topsheet on the leftover bits, I can confirm whether or not this is true.

I don't have the eye of a fly, but the sponge doesn't look very porous, meaning I can't spot any noticeable pores with the naked eye. It does has a grittier look, but that could just be the red color. I really can't squint at this damn thing for too long.

Also, the top sheet isn't super tacky. It's not like, hold-a-ball-tacky. In fact, it didn't hold a ball up at all. It's glossy but not nearly as glossy as a fresh H3 Neo, and noticeably different from an H3 Neo topsheet as in it has that somewhat slight, distinctive "grainy", "noise-effect" topsheet that I find on most BWIIs.

Can't wait to slap it on the Viscaria (which I got at 88gm)! Unfortunately, the university has closed for the summer so it is quite bad timing. I'll just have to find some seedy place in Chinatown. Hope this has answered some questions, and brought up some new ones as well. Big smile

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:09pm
Why is everyone calling this BW2? I don't see a two on the package or rubber.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:26pm
I think in Chinese that's what it's called just not in the English text

Posted By: Ndragon88
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:26pm

There is a 11 next to the 'WHALE' and the chinese writing

-------------
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

There is a 11 next to the 'WHALE' and the chinese writing

Yuh, clearly a yellow "II".

Posted By: sweetstrike
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:41pm
Why is it called "blue" whale. I don't see a blue anywhere.

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 12:45pm
More blue than the old black packages. Haha, why are any rubbers out there called what they are? At least it's not a made up name. Geek

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

I've never understood why people call it "blue" whale. The word blue is not on the package (unless it's in Chinese and they only translated the word "whale" to English). It was never on any package, as far as I know... at least not in English. It's not on their website nor in their catalog. Also, the whale on the original Whale II package was an orca, not a blue whale. (Ironically, orcas occasionally kill and eat baby blue whales). It's the same with "White" Shark II. No "white" anywhere. It's just Shark II.

To my knowledge, it is simply a mistake that has taken hold and people refuse to change it. I called it BWII for the first few times until I realized this. Now I've refused to call it BWII and only call it Whale II, and amusingly I have been "corrected" on a few occasions. LOL

Again, maybe it technically is "Blue" Whale, but until I have one of my Chinese friends demonstrate where it says "blue" on any of the packages... it's just Whale II, to me. Smile

EDIT: Also, I get mine on Monday. I may be able to say a few things about it by the end of next week.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:09pm
The B is for Big Whale.

Posted By: manyaku88
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 1:31pm
am i the only one who thinks the sponge color from onurzaim's link looks a lot like samsonov's red pinkish sponges???

-------------
Blade: Bty BalsaCarbo X5 FL

FH Bty Tenergy 05 2.1

BH: Palio Aeolus 45* 2.2

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:02pm
i love the old BW2 but the sponge dies after like 1 month, can anyone comment on the durability of the tuned effect?

-------------
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 5:24pm
the topsheet on this one in the pics above looks like the same quality as the ones I saw on the BW3 I played with. BW3 is the greatest rubber I've ever played with.

BLUE BLUE BLUE!!!

Posted By: Archie10
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 8:26pm
i picked one of this yesterday at "Gao Jun Table Tennis Club" for my dad.. i don't know if he would like it since he likes to buy a "Tensor" rubber.. but we'll see Clap

-------------
i'll be the Manny Pacquiao of table tennis.

TBS FL
FH - Tenergy 05 2.1
BH - Tenergy 64 1.9

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40195&title=feedback-archie10 - My Feedback

Posted By: flyingmachine
Date Posted: 05/06/2011 at 8:35pm
It's written in Chinese "Blue Whale" on the packaging.  

-------------
Ma Lin Soft Carbon: FH: H3 NEO, BH: Red Diamond

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38328&PID=471847#471847

Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:10am

the topsheet on this one in the pics above looks like the same quality as the ones I saw on the BW3 I played with. BW3 is the greatest rubber I've ever played with.

BLUE BLUE BLUE!!!

Glad someone had something to say about the pics.

Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:45am
if it makes you feel any better, Seeing your pictures is what made me push the "add to cart" button.

Posted By: ztec
Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:53am

Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

I've never understood why people call it "blue" whale. The word blue is not on the package (unless it's in Chinese and they only translated the word "whale" to English). It was never on any package, as far as I know... at least not in English. It's not on their website nor in their catalog. Also, the whale on the original Whale II package was an orca, not a blue whale. (Ironically, orcas occasionally kill and eat baby blue whales). It's the same with "White" Shark II. No "white" anywhere. It's just Shark II.

To my knowledge, it is simply a mistake that has taken hold and people refuse to change it. I called it BWII for the first few times until I realized this. Now I've refused to call it BWII and only call it Whale II, and amusingly I have been "corrected" on a few occasions. LOL

Again, maybe it technically is "Blue" Whale, but until I have one of my Chinese friends demonstrate where it says "blue" on any of the packages... it's just Whale II, to me. Smile

EDIT: Also, I get mine on Monday. I may be able to say a few things about it by the end of next week.

translate blue whale from english to chinese simplified on something like babelfish translator. It will give you the two characters shown on this packaging and on the topsheet. I'll confirm it does say blue whale on this packaging since I can read enough Chinese for that, the babelfish test is just to confirm with your own eyes if you want to go the extra mile.

EDIT: including this picture, it's the character for blue in Chinese

-------------
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.

Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 1:08am
Originally posted by ztec ztec wrote:

translate blue whale from english to chinese simplified on something like babelfish translator. It will give you the two characters shown on this packaging and on the topsheet. I'll confirm it does say blue whale on this packaging since I can read enough Chinese for that, the babelfish test is just to confirm with your own eyes if you want to go the extra mile.

EDIT: including this picture, it's the character for blue in Chinese

Thanks for the info. I'll just have one of my Chinese training partners read it and verify it for me. He always called it "Whale" also, so that's another reason I thought maybe it didn't say "Blue" Whale. But it looks like I was incorrect. Ouch

Oh well...

I was hoping to be right simply because for some reason "Blue Whale" seems like a poor "mascot" for a rubber. But I suppose it's not the dumbest name for a rubber that I've ever heard.

-------------

Posted By: Tinykin_2
Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 2:03am
Blue Whale sounds better than plain ole "Whale".

-------------
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V

Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:18pm

if it makes you feel any better, Seeing your pictures is what made me push the "add to cart" button.

I feel better.

Date Posted: 05/07/2011 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

Actually it's called "Whale Power".

Posted By: Tinykin_2
Date Posted: 05/08/2011 at 6:20am
Originally posted by PongPong PongPong wrote:

Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

Actually it's called "Whale Power".

Know we need it, whale power
We got to have it, whale power
Know we want it, whale power
Got to have it, whale power
Give it to me, whale power
We need it, whale power, we need it, whale power
We got to have it, whale power
Whale Power! Whale Power! Whale Power!

Apologies to James brown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKLVcvu-y0&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXKLVcvu-y0&feature=related

-------------
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V

Date Posted: 05/08/2011 at 9:40am
I dunno how I missed the big II on the package.
My apologies.

I guess what confounds me is that the II (and the blue) are not on the topsheet.

Furthermore, this has the same# as the original Whale and Whale II topsheets:
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Racket_Coverings1.asp?s_Company=HAIFU&s_List_No=29+&

But is the topsheet actually the same? Is it just the sponge that has changed?

-------------

Date Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:21am

I dunno how I missed the big II on the package.
My apologies.

I guess what confounds me is that the II (and the blue) are not on the topsheet.

Furthermore, this has the same# as the original Whale and Whale II topsheets:
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Racket_Coverings1.asp?s_Company=HAIFU&s_List_No=29+&

But is the topsheet actually the same? Is it just the sponge that has changed?

Topsheet is thinner and the pip structure has changed slightly. See above. Can't say much more till I get the chance to play.

Date Posted: 05/09/2011 at 10:44pm
Got my sheet today.

A caveat: My input may not be useful to anyone else, since I super-prime my rubbers. For the last month or so I've been using super-primed DHS blue sponge TG3 from TTNPP and I have no real reason to EJ except for sheer curiosity.

Anyway, this new red sponge Blue Whale II is extremely reactive to speed glue. I've applied one moderately thick coat and it has curled all the way into a cylinder. This should make for an interesting night since I have 4 more layers to apply, and another 5 layers to apply tomorrow...

-------------

Date Posted: 05/09/2011 at 11:38pm

Got my sheet today.

A caveat: My input may not be useful to anyone else, since I super-prime my rubbers. For the last month or so I've been using super-primed DHS blue sponge TG3 from TTNPP and I have no real reason to EJ except for sheer curiosity.

Anyway, this new red sponge Blue Whale II is extremely reactive to speed glue. I've applied one moderately thick coat and it has curled all the way into a cylinder. This should make for an interesting night since I have 4 more layers to apply, and another 5 layers to apply tomorrow...

Yeesh! What glue are you using? I'm kind of glad to hear this. I'm gonna just use it as is for now but got a ridiculously large bottle of Haifu speed glue that I'll try on it eventually.

Date Posted: 05/09/2011 at 11:42pm

Got my sheet today.

Yeesh! What glue are you using? I'm kind of glad to hear this. I'm gonna just use it as is for now but got a ridiculously large bottle of Haifu speed glue that I'll try on it eventually.

I'm using Haifu Blue Whale II Speed Glue.

I also got the 38 degree rubber, so maybe that's why it's so responsive (since it's softer). Don't really know, but it's highly reactive.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:34am

I used to speed glue the black sponge, but I've never used anything as soft as a 38 seriously. Tried it though. BW2 black gave a weird soft stable feel when glued. Added a lot of control and had a lower top speed weirdly enough.  I liked it but at the same time it felt a lot better when tuned with Haifu Oil than it did when speedglued. Added a good pop. It was one of those rubbers you only needed one layer of glue or two at the most for though.

I think the other factor involved in this is that the topsheet is thinner. The old BW2's had such a rigid topsheet that it was really hard to curl up.

I take it you guys got the untuned? I didn't see an untuned for it, so you guys are just speedgluing right over the tuning layer or are you taking it off?

I ordered 39 tuned, I would have ordered 40 usually but I heard these run harder than the old stuff. I'm still really excited about it.

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:41am

I take it you guys got the untuned? I didn't see an untuned for it, so you guys are just speedgluing right over the tuning layer or are you taking it off?

I ordered "tuned". At the time I ordered it from MYTT there was no untuned option. (I don't know if there is now or not.)

I was under the impression that the only "tuning" that goes on with the new BWII is the really thick coating of that Haifu WSB. I've never felt that it made that much of a difference. I took it off and commenced super priming.

I ordered 39 tuned, I would have ordered 40 usually but I heard these run harder than the old stuff. I'm still really excited about it.

That is precisely why I ordered 38dg. I heard that BWII runs harder than advertised (at least relative to the DHS scale) and I'm not good enough to control the really hard stuff. Plus, my training partner--who is ~2000--uses 38dg and I figured if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me. Smile Also, when I used the older BWII I used the 38dg then, too.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:42am
There isn't an untuned version, at least not at the MYTT shop. I assumed that Anton tore his tuning layer off. I'm just using it as is, I could always remove it later on and glue it up. I think the 38 is quite firm already but 39 should be great if you plan to glue. I'm surprised Anton didn't get the 39 or 40 for super-priming.

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:44am

There isn't an untuned version, at least not at the MYTT shop. I assumed that Anton tore his tuning layer off. I'm just using it as is, I could always remove it later on and glue it up. I think the 38 is quite firm already but 39 should be great if you plan to glue. I'm surprised Anton didn't get the 39 or 40 for super-priming.

The way it's responding after 5 layers, I may throw on just a couple more tomorrow and call it good (as opposed to the full 10 layers I normally do).

-------------

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:48am
Ugh, I wish I was as patient as you. I'm interested in this super-priming, as you call it. How long do you let it dry between layers?

I hope MYTT gets an untuned version soon, so as to shave off $5 or so.

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:50am

Ugh, I wish I was as patient as you. I'm interested in this super-priming, as you call it. How long do you let it dry between layers?

I hope MYTT gets an untuned version soon, so as to shave off $5 or so.

Until it's dry to the touch, basically. About 10 minutes or so.

Check http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/super_priming.htm - this out.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 1:04am

I ordered "tuned". At the time I ordered it from MYTT there was no untuned option. (I don't know if there is now or not.)

I was under the impression that the only "tuning" that goes on with the new BWII is the really thick coating of that Haifu WSB. I've never felt that it made that much of a difference. I took it off and commenced super priming.

That is precisely why I ordered 38dg. I heard that BWII runs harder than advertised (at least relative to the DHS scale) and I'm not good enough to control the really hard stuff. Plus, my training partner--who is ~2000--uses 38dg and I figured if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me. Smile Also, when I used the older BWII I used the 38dg then, too.

I agree, it never seemed to really make a difference, not a lot anyway. Not like the old tuning did lol.

But I figure people are hungry for a review, so I'll try it as is to let them know what it's like out of package. I'll weigh it and everything. Plus, i always thought the untuned was fast enough as is anyway. It looked like you guys grabbed up all the 38 hardness lol. It wasn't even an option when I ordered.

I was always satisfied with 39. I used to be a beast though, with my 100g clipper CR and at one point 41 hardness BW2. Now I feel more human haha. Also more realiistic and honest with myself than when I thought I was cool with super difficult equipment. I pick that thing up now and put it right back down, or use it as a "weighted racket" to build arm speed. That setup is soo heavy. But hey, it's part of the learning process I guess.

I'm glad this stuff is catching on. I miss bw2, i just don't miss that slick topsheet at my 5th floor level TT club in the middle of Iowa Summer. Humid. Humid. Humid.

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 7:46am
I tried it last nite on a Mizutani, Red and Black 38 degree, max thickness. Topsheet is mildy tacky, weight is less than standard BW2 or 3.  The combination of sponge and new top sheet does not give the same amount of spin as either BW2 national or BW3.  However this rubber is a better driving/counter hitting rubber as the previous version was mushy in that respect. I think it is definitely quicker for driving/counter but lacks the spin of its predecessors in all aspects.

Posted By: chronos
Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 10:52pm
I tried this in 38 hardness on a clipper CR WRB, this is a nice rubber!  The feeling is actually true to the hardness if you use other tacky rubbers - maybe the sponge is harder compared to DHS but the softer topsheet gives the rubber an overall softer feeling.  Overall feeling to me is slightly soft.  I was using beijing III before, still my favorite.  I've also tried h3 neo pro, sst blue pro, skyline II neo and some others as of late.  What I was looking for was a little better feeling for driving*, a more reliable middle gear but still good service and short game.  And lighter weight please, my last setup is 200 grams.

To sum up the others so you understand my preferences: h3 neo, a little too fast, not enough feeling / dwell, excellent short game and service, so-so middle gear for me - great rubber but doesn't buy me much over beijing III.  SST blue pro, too hard, not tacky enough, not enough dwell due to the hard sponge, much more all-or-nothing.  skyline II neo: too soft even in 39 but really nice and much juicier topsheet compared to h3 which is too plastic IMHO, as much as it pains me to say so.

BWII red sponge is different from the other rubbers I've tried.  It gives me something none of the others have: a very very nice middle gear that you can use to place the ball with a lot of spin if you're out of position or want to take some pace off the point.  It also has a lot of feeling and the ball seems to sit on the rubber for a long time so the control is very good.  Compared to beijing III untuned it loses something on all-out shots and openings.  But with lighter weight and more forgiving play you have enough time to recover and follow-up on the opening.  It's also is more like a tensor rubber in the short game, doesn't have the deadness of a harder sponge tacky rubber, so the short game is worse for placing drops and short pushes.  The more bouncy feeling makes service a little uncomfortable for me but I think that is just a matter of adjustment.  And actually I found flipping on the forehand easier, thanks to the increased feeling.  One short game advantage: attacking pushes are easy to do, easy to direct, loaded with spin, right on the edge.

Other random thoughts:

The middle gear makes it feel almost not chinese, but someone I know who normally hits with t05 hit with it and said it felt "hard".

I was counterlooping tonight and swapped paddles with my partner who had PME on the forehand on a stiga offensive oversize, PME was faster with less effort but shots off BWII were dipping faster from my partner (2000 US).  BWII is more forgiving, I like a tacky forehand so for me its my preference but I felt like I got a lot more feeling from BWII for this shot, it was easy to even counterloop off the bounce.  I'm sure I'm not hitting well enough or hard enough to extract the power from this rubber and that's part of the reason for the difference, but I'm happy just to see this shot on the table period.

Blocks are much more like a regular tensor and the rubber is forgiving in this department.  It's easier to penetrate the sponge on smashes thanks to the thinner topsheet.

Haifu quality is top-notch.  The rubber seems durable, I scuffed it on the table and caught the edge and there was no problem, we'll see if it holds up.  Just as an aside, beijing III is freaking indestructable in this department, my last sheet lasted 4 months and I even caught the corner with it.  15-20 hours a week and its tackier than new, faster than new, looks new.  I'll be happy with BWII if it lasts a month with uniform performance.

I'd be interested to hear someone compare this to thors.  Thors is nice but too far towards "tacky tensor" - I want to say this is 30% tensor, 70% chinese and thors is 60% tensor 40% chinese but its been a while since I hit with it and it was on a very different blade at the time, these numbers are pretty meaningless.

* my coach described the sound of beijing III on drives as "glass breaking"

Date Posted: 05/10/2011 at 10:56pm
Thanks Chronos! Very insightful.

I just glued this BWII red sponge to my YE and am just about to walk out the door.

I can already say that this is much bouncier than the super primed TG3 I've been using.

I'll report back on my findings this evening.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net