Print Page | Close Window

Nexy Calix Reviews

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867
Printed Date: 04/24/2024 at 3:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nexy Calix Reviews
Posted By: BH-Man
Subject: Nexy Calix Reviews
Date Posted: 11/21/2011 at 8:59am
I will try to organize the reviews for the Calix here on this post.

Everyone, please make a complete and fair review and post to this thread. I wil try to link them for ease of organization.

Thanks and consider passing some of the Calix around for others to test.

harldhzx review

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=569960&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569960" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=569960&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569960

Bogeyhunter 1st test run
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571415&title=nexy-calix-reviews#571415" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571415&title=nexy-calix-reviews#571415

Carryboy 1st test run
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571436&title=nexy-calix-reviews#571436" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571436&title=nexy-calix-reviews#571436

elmo51 review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571590&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569499#571590" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571590&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569499#571590

kolevtt review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571796&title=#571796" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=571796&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569499#571796

arg0 review
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=576685&title=#576685" rel="nofollow - http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=576685&title=nexy-calix-reviews#569499#576685

Fourcourts review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=577445&title=nexy-calix-reviews##577445" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=577445&title=nexy-calix-reviews##577445

Peter C review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=577914&title=nexy-calix-reviews#577914" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=577914&title=nexy-calix-reviews#577914

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Replies:
Date Posted: 11/21/2011 at 9:29am
BH-Man Review of Calix: Used ST handle with T05 and Dawei XP 2008 Super Power on BH.

First looks: The Calix is great looking blade with a brown stained outer veener on each side much like the Rosewood and other meet looking blades. The blade being only 5.0 mm in thickness (How can one say 5.0 mm and thick in the same sentence?) gives it a whole new dimension

Speed: This blade's overall speed is the low range of OFF. That is faster than Spartacus, but still a tick slower than TBS. That is only overall speed. This blade has some gears. It can act slightly dampening on soem touch shots near the net. It is not as linear like the TBS. The top end gets good catapult. This blade really rewards the "BANG" type of impact Nexy writes about.

Feel: You get some vibrations from this blade. They are not as pronounced as the Lissom, yet they are there, but not bothersome. I used Tibhar grip tape on the handle (ST) and could still get decent feedback.

Strokes: Slow, heavy looping is EASY, period. Medium looping a dead knuckle ball is EASY. Powerlooping is good, but a different feel than a less flexy blade, like TBS. On fast loops, you get the spin, you get enough speed (not warp speed overpowering speed) to finish, plus you get control. Drives are not as crisp as a stiffer blade, but they land after you get used to it. I don't drive the ball as much as I loop, so it is not a big deal to me, but maybe others. Counterlooping is real nice as you ball gets a boatload of spin and lands, time after time. You don't hit through everybody on the first shot (unless they vacated a spot real nice for you), but you keep landing it and pressuring them to make that winning shot. The kick you generate from your loop is troublesome. My BH opening loops from long serves or long pushes carried considerable spin that either won points or set them up directly.

Cutting/Chopping: You get good spin on a fast push or one where you contact the ball real early. Same deal for a chop serve, good spin. That's a nice thing to show opponents as you later "pull out the rug" by taking away the spin on the serve. When you do an emergency BH chop on the move for a ball that you cannot get to for attacking, you can really vary the spin well.

Blocking: This blade requires an active block. You cannot get away very long simply by sticking out the blade and letting the OFF+ speed/Stiffness add pace to the ball. This blade is not a Sclager Carbon. You have to get closer to the ball and move through the block. This will really help you when you move back to a faster/stiffer blade and give your blocking a new dimension. Those who have a touch to drop it short (from loops and pushes) will like this blade more than a stiff/fast blade.

Flicking: Sometimes, you want a really hard/stiff blade to flip-kill. Sometimes you just want to place the ball well and simply land the flip to an uncomfortable spot to attack the next ball. Those in the second camp will love this blade.

Weight: Mine was 85 grams.

Overall summary: This is a blade for any style of player who wants to be able to spin the ball, keep it on the table, or stay in the point. That covers a wide variety of playing styles. Some choppers may like it as well. This blade will help you grow your game and look good doing it. I played a tourney using this balde on only my 3rd day of using it. It shares some traits of the Spartacus, yet it has some more gear and a faster high end speed.

-------------

Posted By: bluebucket
Date Posted: 11/21/2011 at 9:39am
Sounds alright so far, I get the feeling reading the review you aren't used to this type of blade so it doesn't come across as awesome as maybe it is. But saying it's more flexible than the TBS is a positive sign for me. Let see what the guys more proficient with thin flexible blades have to say (hurry up too) :)

Posted By: harldhzx
Date Posted: 11/21/2011 at 9:56am
I played a bit longer with Calix today. I'll only give a few preliminary comments today, since I did not test all the strokes in detail, full review will come later. I played with Calibra sound max on FH and Aurus soft on BH.

- best finished blade I have had so far from Nexy, better then most of my other blades
- Calix is very different from Lissom and Spartacus, faster and harder
- next to no vibration, no 'mushy' feeling , but feedback still very pronounced
- somewhere between stiff full wood and hard carbon blades
- very powerful smashing and fast topspin
- *very* smooth and alive touch, like water or quicksilver
- pronounced kick when playing forward
- fast counter also good
- short game good, serves very spinny
- a real sound machine, at least with the Calibra sound rubber

I quickly switched blades with another guy who plays the new Butterfly ZJK with Tenergy 64 and Haifu BWII. I notices following differences (ZJK also a very good blade) :

- the ZJK as a thicker blade was more solid, blocks and counters felt more stable
- Calix had better feedback and touch
- Calix felt more alive and agile but also less forgiving
- Calix combo was much lighter, easier to move fast

While I liked the ZJK combo immediately, Calix felt even better.

Having played with quite a few different blades over the time, I was really surprised by the new and different aspects of the Calix blade. I am sure I'll also spot quite a few weak points over time (maybe real defensive play is one), but for the moment I feel I must congratulate Nexy for what might be his best piece of work up to now.

P.S: @Peter79 
You were right, I had to apply a thick sheet of glue, then it worked fine

Date Posted: 11/21/2011 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Sounds alright so far, I get the feeling reading the review you aren't used to this type of blade so it doesn't come across as awesome as maybe it is. But saying it's more flexible than the TBS is a positive sign for me. Let see what the guys more proficient with thin flexible blades have to say (hurry up too) :)

Yup. U R Right. I am a fan of brick heavy and stiff BTY blades all the way, like TBS over 90 grams. I like my setups to weigh over 200 grams. This one was 180s. Nothing wrong with that, a LOT of players like that range.

Still, because this is a loopers dream blade and I like to loop a lot, I could still use it right away without major adjustments in the loop stroke. I had to adapt my blocking to make it work. Still, that way I had to do it (more active blocking off the bounce) is healthy for my TT game.

I say it again, every time I get to use a Nexy blade (slower than TBS) for any long spell, my game improves and carries over forward.

-------------

Posted By: arg0
Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 1:24am

I am getting a test Calix and a new Lissom soon. Do you recommend sealing them or are they factory-sealed?

-------------
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the forum_posts.asp?TID=47778" rel="nofollow - Nexy Clan !
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 4:33am
Lissom maybe. For Calix I'd say that no sealing is necessary - I had trouble with keeping the rubber stuck on the blade Smile

Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 9:44am
Review of Calix from harldhzx for Nexy Calix with Calibra Sound max on FH and Aurus soft max on BH.

Introductory remarks

Calix is thin and hard with quite some flex. It's beautifully crafted. It is best on all strokes where you go actively against the ball, or when receiving heavy spin or very fast balls (Calix is very good at 'borrowing' power) . That way the flex comes into play with quite amazing results. If you don't hit the ball right, or just stick the blade out, the ball is accelerated quite a bit less, since the flex can't kick in. The blade is quite sensitive to angle and the speed you hit the ball with, unlike the some 'brick' blades, which push the ball into the right direction by rebound.

Counter

With my combo, counters and hitting/smashing works amazingly well. Again, this is because the blade is thin and flexes well. You get an extra kick on the ball without sacrificing control. I can fully rip at the ball while maintaining a good  hit rate, and the ball never(or very rarely) gets returned.
You have to adjust your stroke on speed changes. If the incoming ball is not fast, you need to produce some forward momentum, which means you need a solid counter stroke on FH as well as BH to deal with 'empty' balls. Just sticking out the blade will often have the ball drop into the net.

Topspin

Topspin is very good, but I had more consistent top spin with Spartacus (the most consistent TS blade I've had so far, AFAICT). Reason is that Spartacus gives you that extra moment (or time window) to spin the ball. With Calix, the ball leaves the blade somewhat earlier unless you can sink the ball very deeply into the racket (which needs good timing). With my Calix combo, the ball gets very good quality though, as the second bounce has very low trajectory and is hard to block. Topspin speed is much less than smashing speed - that's once aspect where, for example, the Butterfly carbon blades like Innerforce ALC are better.

The topspin is still very consistent once you get that forward momentum right.

Countertopspin and counterhitting

Pretty good. I am not really good at continuous topspin rallies, but my Calix combo supports that very well (flex ... ?).

Block

Actually pretty good, but feels less solid than with thicker blades. The flex will slow the ball somewhat down, and blocking fast and heavy balls was very easy. I noticed that reflex returns on smashes or fast topspin had a funny way of landing on the table.
Again, you have to adjust your strokes quite a bit against 'empty' balls. As stated already, Calix wants active strokes through the ball, not sticking the blade out at some appropriate angle - the tolerance window is more narrow on such strokes, and you'll find yourself punching the ball more often.

Pushing

Spinny with good control, but you have to get the blade angle right, otherwise the ball might stray.

Drop shots and slower close to the net play

Very good, as the blade does not have too much inbuilt rebound. Just touch the ball and let it float just over the net. It's also easy to give some extra wrist on these shots.

Flicks

I can't do fast flicks Cry
Slower flicks are very controllable though, and get good placement.

Fishing from half distance

That's my passive game. Pretty nice and controllable, easy to keep to ball low over the net. Counter loops or hits from half distance work really well when swinging through the ball. You don't get the same speed as, for example, with Maplewood VII or other thick blades.

Ball trajectory

With the above combo I feel I get very low trajectory on faster balls, with enough curve to get the ball over the net. Slow spinny loops are maybe not that good. I got many of them smashed.

Impressions

After playing a few times now I am still pretty much in love with the blade, so I might be overlooking a few deficiencies  Embarrassed

I played some matches which turned out very well compared to my recent results against the opponents. Main reason was increased quality on attacks with acceptable loss in control game. Exception was one guy who has slow spinny loops and very variable serve. That might be on account of not being used to the blade.

Compared to Spartacus, the blade is less brittle and woody, and more smooth, fluid and carbon-like, but lacks this extra moment of rest and has less of 'computerized control' that I felt with Spartacus. Attacking game is more lethal with Calix, and borrowing power is easier.

Feedback from others

- ball has high quality
- powerful
- brush loops not so fast

Quite a lot of people came to look at the blade - maybe they heard the noise ...

P.S.

Some of my observation might be due to the use of very soft rubbers on Calix compared the the harder stuff I've used before.

If I'd loose the blade now,  I'd probably immediately buy a new one ...

Posted By: Carryboy
Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 11:37am
Nice review harldzx, how hard is the blade (feel)?? You are saying that feedback from other players is this blade is high throw??correct.

-------------
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 6:27pm

From what you write it seems to me as if Spartacus would be better suited for a controlled offensive game. Do you agree?
Also, did you use same rubbers on Spartacus and Calix?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/23/2011 at 9:11pm
@Carryboy: Trajectory is mostly low. With 'high quality' I wanted to say that the ball from Calix is difficult to return, because of spin/speed an trajectory.

@arg0: If your emphasis is on control, Spartacus or Lissom might be the better choice, depending on your style of play. The blades have a different feel, so it's also important to see which one you like better. I did use much softer rubbers on Calix, as the blade itself is rather hard. On Spartacus I have the hard (normal) versions of Aurus and Calix.

Posted By: kolevtt
Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 12:53am
I received my blade yesterday, it is very beatiful :) Later today I will test it with different rubbers to choose the best for it. But all the eyes of the tt hall visitors were collected in the looking of Calix, this is a real piece of tt jewelry. Congratulation for Mr. Moon! Clap

Posted By: ejmaster
Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 1:07am
Calix is a beautiful blade. I would bet it is something similar to a musko but with worse feeling.

but i do not think it can play as well as a musko. it would be good to know about it.

i think it is more interesting some blood in the review thread. to compare against lissom or spartacus is not very interesting. this is a 150 $ blade. so it must fight against other brand blades to convince.

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 1:38am

why do you think it's similar to a 6mm thick 7ply all wood blade? wouldn't it rather be similar to other thin carbon blades?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 2:04am
I agree with ejmaster, someone needs to compare this blade for what it is. Against other blades in this class. I don't see it being similar to other 5 ply carbons with carbon near the outer ply and 5.4-6.0 thick as they will be much stiffer. It must play more similar to a thin 7 ply that has a strong flex and big kick

Posted By: elmo51
Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 2:12am
This will happen as soon as everyone gets his calix,
I played many blades and so have others I asume. I am impatient to :)

-------------
set up: Donic WSC

fh Cornileau target Pro GT H47

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 2:20am
Elmo, you are familiar with the mahagoni blades right now Big smile Could you make comparison between Donic burn Aratox and Nexy Calix? I think the outer plies of Nexy Calix are also Mahagoni. 

Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 3:02am
Will do that,if it is mahagoni I would be very pleased, I like the contol it offers dispite it hardness and springyness

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 6:00am
The only thin carbon blade I've ever played is the Timo Boll T5000. There are some similarities, but T5000 is faster and stiffer, but has a slightly softer top ply (Koto).

The DHS WL King blade, which is also rather flexible, plays more wooden, softer and faster, less controlled.

Posted By: ejmaster
Date Posted: 11/24/2011 at 6:36am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

why do you think it's similar to a 6mm thick 7ply all wood blade? wouldn't it rather be similar to other thin carbon blades?

musko is 5,9 mm. and it does not feel thick at all. It is a 7 ply feeling thin. It is quite different than a thick 7 ply. as a clipper.

In fact calix is a 7 ply but the third ply is carbon instead of a harder wood.

i have played with nittaku flame what is a burn wood quite stiff and thin. It also can be compared to ochtarov carbon (5,6 mm). donic burn series are also interesting to compare to (though these are thicker around 6,2 mm).

all these blades have a hard rival to beat what it is the musko imo.

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Posted By: Peter C
Date Posted: 11/25/2011 at 7:03pm
I can confirm that the Calix does have Mahogany outer plies and heat treatment is used in it's construction.

The quality of the finish to the Mahogany outer plies is excellent and the rest of the blade is built to a high standard too.

The flared handle is about the same size as a Stiga Master flare and it has a smooth finish too; so no risk of splinters.

The shoulders of the blade are rounded off and it has a 156 x 150 blade face; which means it's designed for allround/ attacking players.

I've been testing the Calix over the last three days and I'll be getting some more playing time over the weekend.

Date Posted: 11/25/2011 at 7:37pm
I kind of suspected that the outer ply was heat treated. That should make it with the carbon quite hard in feeling. I should have mine by Monday. 

-------------
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 11/26/2011 at 4:47am
The Calix is the most innovative Nexy blade, to date.

It's also a very impressive blade aesthetically. The build quality and finish are also higher than previous Nexy blades I've tested too.

As I've commented before; it has Mahogany outer plies and it feels a bit stiffer because moisture has been taken out of the blade, with Burn technology.

The Calix lacks the normal carbon ping and it doesn't feel like I'm playing with a traditional Carbon blade either. Part of that is due to the carbon layers being around the core, just like the Waldner Senso Carbon. 

I notice the handle insert with "instinctive creation" on it, doesn't feel as rigid under the fingers as other Nexy blade inserts either; i.e. it has a dampener of some kind within the handle piece and that results in the Calix providing you with precise feedback; which reminds me of the feel of the Stiga Allround Wood NCT and that makes it easy to judge drop shots and pushes.

It has a wider range of gears, than I expected; hence Nexy's comment about it being slow in the short game and fast; when playing the faster shots.

It has a slow first gear, which is like playing with an allround plus blade; which helps give it a very good short game performance.

The 156mm x 150mm blade face I feel is an asset, as it means you can use heavier rubbers on it and they won't affect the balance or catapult effect of the blade under torque; to the same degree as heavier rubbers would, on a bigger 158mm or 160mm blade face.

Date Posted: 11/26/2011 at 8:59am
I received my calix  today which is very fast from korea to holland with normal parcel.
This time i also got the box which is very beautiful to.
The blade looks fabulous, one of the best designs I saw imo.
Very good finishing, mine is 85 grams,
will test next weekat training,

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/26/2011 at 10:36am
85 grams seems to be the weight for a LOT of Calix blades. Hope everyone can put it through the paces and do a better job of writing than the piss-poor job I did.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/27/2011 at 5:22am
Well i glued up my rubbers and just as with the aratox rs I found it not so easy as with other blades,I think it is the mahagoni wood our is it me our is it because of the used rubbers? Anyhow the rubbers kept on curling back, so just as with the aratox I used a heavy pile of books to keep them on, I glued hundreds of rubbers onall kind of blades and this curling only happens with the mahagoni blades ,
Just a little bit anoying that's all Smile

I put tenergy 05 on FH and Blitz on BH
Feel is very solid, a little bit head heavy I think, The handle feels good but I have to get used to itsince the senso handle from donic is more oval shaped which I like and this is more squarish,
It feels a bit strange to me to because the logo comes out of the handle and is not even with the wood. Have to get used to that.

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/27/2011 at 7:25am
Had the same problem with the curling rubber. As Peter79 said, you have to use more glue. Looks like the wood is somewhat oily.

The handle is indeed squarish, somewhat unusual but ok. The logo on my blade does not stick out.

Date Posted: 11/27/2011 at 9:11am
well I mean the triangular logo, it is not really sticking out but it does not feel smooth with the rest of the handle either, it is different from  other logo's but it is hard to explain it on paper.
It does not affect play but is is just something I noticed and wanted to mention. It makes it feel different then I am used. I like the design of the logo actualy

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Posted By: Nexy
Date Posted: 11/27/2011 at 10:37pm
Just one comment.

In Korea, we have a machine to calulate the speed of a blade.
And Calix seems to have the widest gap between slow shots and fast shots.

By the way, is there any person who can show pictures taken by himself?

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 11/28/2011 at 3:26am
The test Calix (and my new Lissom) have arrived. Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the whole week, therefore I will only be able to collect them next Monday. I will then start testing the Calix next week and report here.

@Nexy, thank you again for selecting me as tester: I'll do my best to write a fair review. I'd love to know more about the blade-testing machine. Is there any description or pictures on the internet?
When you say "Calix seems to have the widest gap between slow shots and fast shots", do you mean among all Nexy blades, or among all blades you tested, including other brands?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/28/2011 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

Just one comment.

In Korea, we have a machine to calulate the speed of a blade.
And Calix seems to have the widest gap between slow shots and fast shots.

By the way, is there any person who can show pictures taken by himself?

Yeah, I received my blade Nexy Calix this week and I will post my own review with T05 2.1mm with pictures soon. I think the review will be very useful for the forumers. Smile

Date Posted: 11/28/2011 at 7:52pm
As requested Nexy; here are some pictures taken after I removed 2mm Blitz, from the Calix tonight.

I aim to put red 2mm Xiom Vega Pro and black 2mm Xiom Vega Europe on the blade; ready for testing in the next few days.

Calix on top of its box

p.s  I thought 2mm Blitz played well on the Calix and so did three clubmates too.

I plan on writing a full review, after testing the blade, with Vega Pro and Vega Europe.

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 11/29/2011 at 12:31am
Tester : Attacking chopper, rated 2208.
Blades I like : Violin, Lissom, Defplay Senso, Ludeak.
Test setup : Calix, Xiom Vega Asia Max, TSP P3 alpha R.
Tested for 1 matches with 2250+ junior(Tong Tong Gong)

Rubbers won't stick with first gluing. 2nd time - ok, no problem.
Serve and short game - nothing fancy. Just like other blades.
High speed shots - bends and kicked like Defplay Senso. Modern defenders with good chopping technique and like to attack a lot will like it. Choppers who like slow blades and play steady chopping game(3 ply willow wood) such as Defense 2 and Willtria will not like it. Over all speed is faster than Defplay Senso. 
Defplay Senso is unique in the way that when chopping, it bends to absorb and take some speed of. When looping, it bends then kicks to add some speed. Calix has this feeling. I have tried ~20 blades in the past 2-3 years and Defplay is the only one with this feeling so far until I tried Calix.
Looping with Calix reminded me of Rutis, also thin carbon blade. Bends with some vibration when hit/loop hard.
Doesn't feel like true carbon OFF+ blades like Schlager carbon or Primorac carbon. Calix is softer with more flex.

Will play more and add more info here.

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Date Posted: 11/29/2011 at 1:55am
I got my Calix today. Quite a nice blade and fit and finish is quite good, excellent actually. Weight is 85 grams and the blade feels quite balanced. Flared handle is quite comfortable and even more so after putting on my handle grip. I must comment on the graphics, that while interesting, it is not my cup of tea. It is ok but I would have preferred a more minimalistic design like Spartacus, however this would not be a deterrant  to purchase if I really wanted one.

Weight: 85 grams
Speed:  OFF-
Elasticity: Flex
Surface Feel: Hard
Throw: Medium to medium low

Rubbers using: Donic Desto F3 BS backhand, Calibra LT Sound/Nittaku Hammond ProB 2.1 forehand. I had no problem attaching rubbers to this blade.

Initial impressions during a 20 minute workout with this blade was quite positive. The blade is hard in feeling but nowhere as hard as I thought it would have been (Thank goodness). Very natural feeling with very minimal vibration, just enough to give a nice feedback. At 5 mm thick you would expect a bit of flex and there is while being stiff at the same time. This blade is what you could call a very neutral feeling blade as it does everything quite well while not calling attention to itself.

I have spent the last 4 days with this blade and I must confess I have been having a lot of rubber issues trying to find the right rubbers as my initial setup just was not cutting it. By the second day I change to Stiga Magna TC II Max forehand/Stiga Magna TS II 2.0 backhand, both new I must add. Voila!!! much better.

Loop/Loop Drives:  Slow loops spinny with a nice kick, Loop Drive are hard and fast with loads of spin. Loop variations are pretty easy. Loops and Drives a few feet off or further from the table are quite fast with lots of power. The blade does seem most comfortable a few feet or so from the table where the flex and kick does come into play and consistently land.  Near or at the table I had to be a bit more careful in my attacking play as the flex does cause some non linear issues. Again a few more sessions with this setup and I should be OK. The biggest surprise for me is how much better my backhand has become using this blade paired with the Magna TS II. Backhand flat hits are real fast and it loops like a dream. I know, equipment changes should not make huge differences in how you play and maybe under different circumstances I would agree. Is the Calix a magic wand? Yes! when it comes to my backhand it is.

Blocks: Calix blocks like a dream. Maybe it is a combination of rubber and blade. No problem here very good.

Flicks: Very Good. I have been practicing this shot for a few months now and with the Calix this shot feels natural and quite easy to do with eigther backhand or forehand and I am able to vary the length easy enough.

Push/Short Game: A bit of a mixed bag. Pushing is good long or short with good back spin. I did have quite a lot of balls popping up out of the blue which my practice partner killed instantly. This was a real surprise to me and quite unexpected and at this point I am not sure what is causing this. Is it me needing more time with Calix or the blade itself. I am not sure but will update at a later date.

Serves: Very Good. It does exactly what you want it to do.

I have had a few Nexy Blades within the last year, Sahara an early version that was just too stiff, very hard, lacked feeling and very fast, way too fast for me. Spartacus, a real nice blade and quite opposite to Sahara but just did not suit my style of play. Calix on the other hand lies somewhere between both. Calix is hard without the hard carbon feel, tons of feel, stiff with a bit of flex, lots of gears, fast when you need it with a lot of control. If I had to give this blade one negative it would be the lack of dwell but then again the right choice of rubbers would take care of that. Top marks for Calix would be how it feels in my hand which is extremely balanced and unobstrusive with a great handle design and being 5mm thick it is indeed a quick highly manouverable attacking blade. Even higher marks would go to how you feel the ball without the vibration, very, very different. After 4 days none of my other Carbon blades feels the same. I really do like this blade!!!  Nexy/Mr Moon has done an excellent job with this blade. The design and choice of materials have really gelled to create a great blade called Calix.

Out of the box Calix feels tight/unbroken to me. For those of you who will be using Calix as your main setup or for an extended period of time hold on to your shorts. I have a feeling when this baby is broken in it is going to be a beast.

-------------
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 11/29/2011 at 3:25pm
well I played with calix this evening, I had tenergy 05 on fh and blitz on bh.
This is a strange blade to rate indeed,It has so many gears,
I find that tenergy and mahagoni is not a good combination,Just as with aratox rs it is very hard to hit a ball, Looping with mahagoni is super but to finish a point of with a good smash is rubbish with tenergy on mahagoni in my opinion. I have to search for an other fh rubber which is not bad because tenergy is getting to expensive anyway

Nexy calix review ,first time playing with it

Well i glued up my rubbers and just as with the aratox rs I found it not so easy as with other blades,I think it is the mahagoni wood our is it me our is it because of the used rubbers? Anyhow the rubbers kept on curling back, so just as with the aratox I used a heavy pile of books to keep them on, I glued hundreds of rubbers onall kind of blades and this curling only happens with the mahagoni blades ,
Just a little bit anoying that's all Smile

I put tenergy 05 on FH and Blitz on BH
Feel is very solid, a little bit head heavy I think, The handle feels good but I have to get used to itsince the senso handle from donic is more oval shaped which I like and this is more squarish,
It feels a bit strange to me to because the logo comes out of the handle and is not even with the wood. Have to get used to that.

Speed is off but it has multiple gears, It can be very slow to, So I must agree with Nexy,it is hard to rate, still it can be very fast so off it is.
It is faster then violin, Waldner senso carbon, stadiavarius

It is very flexible and thin and still stiff, Handle is ok but I like it to be more round instead of squarish

Touch shots are very easy to perform , I  could keep the bal very low.and place them behind the net without any problem just like with aratox rs, much better feel then TBS, a little bit more bounce then with the Spartacus  violin and the waldner senso carbon but still good to perform

Throw angle is low to medium. Blitz goes lower over the net then with Sparatacus , TBS and Waldner senso carbon and violin

Pushing is very easy with the calix, especialy with the blitz on my bh, with tenergy I had more problems keeping it low. Mahagoni bounces/kicks a lot i noticed from both aratox rs and the calix which makes the tenergy more springy with pushing ,you have to go in very deep so that costs more effort to especialy since I am a close to table player, I recon players who play away from the table have benefits from this, especialy choppers
Violin Spartacus and WSC  are  easier to control simple becauseof their lowerspeed

Chopping went very good , also because I could get out speed of my opponents balls very well
I think it is a great blade for atacking long pips players and choppers who like to attack and I am not even one of these so that shpuld say enough.
It is because of the control you have over speed, both fast and slow, the more effort you put in to it the faster it goes,
Same here , easierto do for second line players

Blocking was really fast as a rocket and spot on with the blitz, With tenergy the ball went higher.
I liked the blocking a lot. much faster then with my wsc and lower throw then with the aratox which is more springier  so less controlable then calix,

Looping, went good and with lots of spin in it, more then with my wsc and aratox but I had to put in a lot more effort for a fast loop, I did not like that, strange thing is that my tenergy was much slower then my blitz on this blade,very strange feeling. I think that with an other rubber then tenergy ,maybe a little softer and slower this can be a looping monster.

Smashing, as said not good for me ,no feeling at all with the tenergy, Maybe another rubber will work better on the mahagoni,then it is a perfect blade for many games and playstyles

Overall I must say I am impressed with this blade, I would say if you are a close to table player like me do not put on to fast of a rubber since then it is harder to control.
This is totaly different from spartacus, spartacus is a great allround blade for many players , this one is much faster in my opinion and needs much more practise but then it is very leathal

I am off to bed now, these are my first impressions, more to come,It is picky in his rubbers I think and it is a blade with wich you have to practise a lot to get to his full potential, maybe because of this blade I a m going to try some long atacking pips Smile,

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:54am

The test Calix (and my new Lissom) have arrived. Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the whole week, therefore I will only be able to collect them next Monday. I will then start testing the Calix next week and report here.

@Nexy, thank you again for selecting me as tester: I'll do my best to write a fair review. I'd love to know more about the blade-testing machine. Is there any description or pictures on the internet?
When you say "Calix seems to have the widest gap between slow shots and fast shots", do you mean among all Nexy blades, or among all blades you tested, including other brands?

Of course including all the blades ever existed on earth from the time since people started to play table tennis.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 12:58am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Tester : Attacking chopper, rated 2208.
Blades I like : Violin, Lissom, Defplay Senso, Ludeak.
Test setup : Calix, Xiom Vega Asia Max, TSP P3 alpha R.
Tested for 1 matches with 2250+ junior(Tong Tong Gong)

Rubbers won't stick with first gluing. 2nd time - ok, no problem.
Serve and short game - nothing fancy. Just like other blades.
High speed shots - bends and kicked like Defplay Senso. Modern defenders with good chopping technique and like to attack a lot will like it. Choppers who like slow blades and play steady chopping game(3 ply willow wood) such as Defense 2 and Willtria will not like it. Over all speed is faster than Defplay Senso. 
Defplay Senso is unique in the way that when chopping, it bends to absorb and take some speed of. When looping, it bends then kicks to add some speed. Calix has this feeling. I have tried ~20 blades in the past 2-3 years and Defplay is the only one with this feeling so far until I tried Calix.
Looping with Calix reminded me of Rutis, also thin carbon blade. Bends with some vibration when hit/loop hard.
Doesn't feel like true carbon OFF+ blades like Schlager carbon or Primorac carbon. Calix is softer with more flex.

Will play more and add more info here.

This is very important imformation.
Calix has veryslippery surface, and needs more glue than normal blades.
So, if any tester feels that Calix is not the same on each shot, then, please, take off the rubber, and glue it again. Specially recent rubbers seem to need extra glue these days.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 1:06am
Maybe I should reglue my tenergy then since it is not always even fast,lets see what kolevtt says about his tenergy on the calix

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 7:10am
Review of the new blade Nexy Calix from Petar Kolev, professional table-tennis coach from Bulgaria.
The first that I noticed when I opened the nice box was the great finished handle. I felt I hold a blade which is wrapped in silk.
About the construction of the blade it is very thin - 5.0 mm and very light - the mine (FL) is around 85gr(+/- 2gr).
The middle ply is from the great tropical wood named abachi, I think and I suppose also it is backed. May be Nexy used same as the Termo Tec technology for preparing the middle ply. It makes the middle ply more harder. The next plies are some kind of carbon, again thin ply of abachi, but not baked I think, because it is more lighter than the ply in the middle. And the outer plies are ...some matherial looking as mahogany wood, but these two plies are extremely thin. So - we have a 5.0mm blade with 7 plies and 85 grams, combined with a two carbon layers, two mahogany layers and three abachi layers, but the one in the middle is baked! Genius!
What about the playing skills of the Nexy Calix?
I combined the blade with T05 2.1mm, the balance (centre of the weight) of this combination is little more in the head than in the middle as I like, but I made it only to test the blade. It is normal the balance of so thin blade with max thickness heavy rubbers do not be in the middle. May be if I have 1.9mm of Tenergy rubbers the centre of the weight will be in the middle of the racket. But the good news are that you can buy the most heavy rubbers as T05 and to put on this blade without any problem, without discomfort.
When I played with this combination about a hour I made some conclusions:
- The speed of this blade is OFF to OFF+. Nexy Calix is purely offensive blade. With fast rubbers as T05 it is also one step to Off+. I tried looping against very strong backspin from DHS pips out rubber and when I tried to hit strongly the ball some times I send it out of the table more than 10 sm far of the end line. This is impressive! I don't play table tennis from yesterday, but Nexy Calix made me confused :) I was really surprised, for second time after testing the Sahara blade.
It seems Nexy is looking to be one of the most innovative company for the next years.
- Thin blade with great power. The drive strokes are pretty fast.
- The serving is great - I push a short balls to the net without any problem also with lot of spin.
- The returning near the net is little hardly, it requires high level caution and concentration, because the blade has high rebound with these rubbers.
-  About blocking I think this is the hidden addvantage of this blade. Very solid and stable, it is a pleasure to return looping of my partners.
- About cutting and chopping far of the table it is also very good.
I wont be surprised if I see somebody combined player with this blade.
Also you can make with sure Nexy Calix an Off + blade if you put Stiga Boost rubbers or other at the same level.
As final conclusion I will offer this blade for those who is looking to develop his game with a light and fast blade with middle-hard feeling and explosive power, which is appropriate for all kind of tt strokes with the concrete rubbers. The handle is not wide, so it can be suitable for a woman's and children's hands. But I will be careful if I do this. Surely I will choose more softer and slowly rubbers for them. The innovative technology and еxcellent workmanship can not go unnoticed.
Nexy Calix is a jewel.
In other case Nexy Calix will get one of the greatest place in every table tennis fan collection.

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 7:18am

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 7:30am
Seems like we think about the same over the calix kolevtt. What would be a good fh rubber instead of tenergy 05 when you play close to the table? Its to hard to handle elseway because of the bounciness.
Also hitting is difficult but I like the blade a lot

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 8:42am
I have very soft rubber on Calix - I did not try harder rubber as I am very happy with the soft setup. I can really recommend both Calibra sound and Tibhar Aurus soft.

@Elmo51: Smashes worked really well with those rubbers - if you have a chance, try out one of those

P.S.: Don't know why, but lots of people come looking at Calix and play a few strokes. Never had that with my other blades before. Today one pretty good player went so far as to write down the brand name

Date Posted: 11/30/2011 at 7:20pm
KolevTT

The Calix has a Kiri Core; which can be identified by the diagonal striations in it's grain, (see pictures below).

Kiri is ideal choice for a core, in blades with carbon layers and Nexy has used Kiri before for another of his blades; i.e. the Hannibal.

Date Posted: 12/01/2011 at 4:39am
Thanks Peter C, I will know.
I just saw my own blade which has little different line style in the central layer.
For a pity, I have no enough good camera to show you my blade in details. But I will keep your clarification.

Posted By: atv
Date Posted: 12/01/2011 at 4:47am
is this going to be like YEO7 but thinner? 5mm 7ply, makes me wondering how it feels

-------------
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755

Date Posted: 12/01/2011 at 5:12am
Slightly OT, but what wood is used for the Lissom core layer(s)?

-------------

Date Posted: 12/01/2011 at 6:35am
Peter C, Thank you for the nice guess.
Yes, the center wood is kiri.
But Hannibal's center wood is not Kiri.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: mercuur
Date Posted: 12/01/2011 at 7:08am
Actually this build is more comparable with nine ply wood blades. A thin woodlayer is more comparable with uni-directional carbon then with a woven carbon layer. Wood has not much pullstrength perpendicular to graindirection comparable with unidirectional carbon which only has the epoxy strength for that direction.
With other woodlayers layers flanking it right-angled this strength becomes more or less insignificant.

It also shows from the core ; typical 7-plies have the grain for the middlelayer running widthwise to the blade and most cases it,s a thinner layer otherwise the blade can become too weak (or has to be made thicker and stiffer). This Calix and most other 5+2 blades with weave layers has the core lengthwise similar to five ply or (seldom for woodblades) nine ply but perpendicular to most seven plies. Because this is a relatively thick and central layer it influences the character of blades a lot.
It therefor can have more similarity with five ply wooden blades then with seven plies except for the higher amount of crossbindings that make it somewhat more stable and have less residual vibration.
In my experience (which not that much with seven plies) the character difference from this is mostly in the ease with the seven ply build to keep the throwangle low for counterattack closer to the table without the much harder feel or much faster speed that carbon offers. A faster speed makes the throw lower but also longer and to high or too long throw has same result ; the ball doesn,t hit the table.

-------------

Posted By: wyatt
Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 12:11am
received the calix the other day...

Setup: Calix FL 85g
FH: T05 2.1mm
BH: Cornilleau Pilot Advance 2.0mm 

**will edit this after a week of play with the calix, initial impressions are positive.. I think this will be my main blade now.. Im an allwood blade lover, tried to shift to carbon blades but ended up going back with my allwood blade..  

mercuur explanation with the blade construction hit what Im feeling with the calix.. it feels like a 5ply, good vibration but feels more solid. IM LOVING IT.

-------------
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0

Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 1:07am
For those of you who are interested I have started my review on Calix which can be seen on page 2.

What can I say, a wonderful blade, two thumbs up!!!

-------------
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 2:35am

I want to make a switch to it to but i need a soft rubber for the fh, Tried that out and then spin is great but hitting with a softer sponge is much easier then with for instance tenergy wchisisnt even the hardest sponge out there.

Any suggestions? I tried blitz max but I found it quite fast for close to table play on the FH so I am looking for a good spin/hit rubber with a soft sponge which is less fast, Maybe I should tru palio macro era in 1.8mm?.

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 5:14am
I think Tibhar Auris soft or Imperial Factor on Calix will be great combination. Andro Hexer the new version which is really soft also will be acceptable. I will try to give you more info about these rubbers on Calix the next week.

Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 7:10am
where can I find this imperial rubber? did a search on google but I could not find it.
thanks

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Date Posted: 12/03/2011 at 7:47am
Please copy and paste the link below:
http://www.schuett-sport.de/Tischtennis/Neuheiten/Imperial/IMPERIAL-Factor.html
It is only in german language.
Mr.Schuett has own brand only for blades, which are very interesting.
You can look at this main page list with articles.
In this site you can find also lot of other sport equipment.

Date Posted: 12/05/2011 at 7:52pm
I got back home and I found the Calix, which was waiting for me since a week. I am impressed by it's build quality: this is a really well finished blade, almost on par with the finishing of high-end blades by Nittaku.
I am going to test it this week with Xiom Vega Pro and Nittaku Hi-Super Drive, the same rubbers I have been playing on my Lissom for 9 months now.
For now, I have measured resonance frequency at the ball bounce test. It's 1310 Hz, which is higher than Lissom (1180Hz) and about in the same range as Nexy Color, OSP Virtuoso, and Nittaku Acoustic and Tenor, which is pretty interesting for me. I expect the outer layer to be a nice middle hardness: not too soft and not too hard. In comparison, the other carbon blades I played with all were in the 1550-1650Hz, which hints at much harder feel blades.

Stay tuned for the real review, coming soon.

PS: If you wonder how I measured the frequency, it's actually very easy: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38419 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38419

-------------

Date Posted: 12/07/2011 at 6:44pm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42585&PID=574140#574140 - Friendly game using calix -3rd day

-------------
Nexy Calix

Posted By: DeIgado
Date Posted: 12/07/2011 at 8:13pm
If anyone would like to pass the Calix on please PM me. I would really like to try this amazing looking blade out : ) ill pay shipping n such no problem

-------------
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising

Date Posted: 12/11/2011 at 6:01pm
I've played a few times with Calix this week, probably enough to write a review and compare it with Lissom. So stay tuned, I'll report in a few days.

For the impatient: Calix is as controlled as Lissom at low speed, has a faster top speed, crisper feel, and a lower throw. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered a second Lissom...

-------------

Date Posted: 12/12/2011 at 4:51am
You will surely find someone who likes Lissom like you.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 at 6:15am
Aren't there any more (detailed) reviewers yet for this fantastic blade.
I did not get the chance myself to test it again since I have the flu for a couple of weeks already. 
I think I am going to play with it this season

-------------

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Posted By: Antiq
Date Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:55am
Visited Nexy office last week and look at the calix. Very well made and its a beauty. The blade is very thin. Since Mr Moon had a ready setup, I decided to take it for a quick spin... The blade was setup with Tihbar 1Q and Aurus Soft. Very nice feel with the FH and BH hit..... The initial trial is so comfy that ended up I got myself 2 calix. 

My initial test this evening... the blade was setup with Mercury 2 FH and Thor BH, since they were lying around for a while..

Short and Long Push is good, and spinny. FH loop is loaded with power, the bat flex when you hit hard, thus projecting more power. Very nice combo, will definitely stick to this combo for quite a while...

IMO, the blade should goes well with soft or medium soft rubbers... Never regret getting 2 lol...

-------------
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 at 3:45am
Ok, time to start my review of Calix. I will edit and update this post, so I suppose a link to it should appear in the first post.

Let's start with appearance. As I said, I was impressed by the build quality of Calix. I think it's hard for a relatively new manufacturer to justify a $150 price tag, but Calix is astonishly smooth and well build. The handle is silk smooth and there is a chamfer on the wings that takes away the sharpness of the edges. The layers have consistent thickness, they are cleanly cut at the sides, and the core is one piece. The overall quality matches those of high-end Nittaku and Butterfly blades, so I feel the price tag could be appropriate, although the Nexy brand name has less appeal than other well-known and advertised brands.

In my review, I will be comparing Calix to Lissom, which has been my main blade in the last 9 months or so. Compared to Lissom, which is already very well-finished, the construction quality of Calix is one notch higher, due to the smooth handle and chamfered wings.

I don't want to spend too much time in decribing the appearance, but there's one more aspect that makes an important difference: the handle cross section. I like straight handles, and I've always been very picky on handle cross sections. The most comfortable straight handle I played with was Butterfly M. Maze OFF: it's a squarish rectangle with rounded corners. This handle shape is also known as square straight handle, or SQST for short. Unfortunately, M. Maze was too fast and stiff for me (more on that later). Compared to M. Maze, Lissom has a wider and lower SQST handle, i.e. more rectangular and less square. The cross section of the Calix handle is unique, at least with respect to the other SQST handles I have played with, because the rounding radius is quite large and off-centered, so that the side surfaces of the handle are more rounded than the top and bottom surfaces, which are mostly flat. In other words, the top and bottom parts of the handle cross section have large and flat surfaces, which have a noticeably sharp edges leading to the rounded corners. My English may not be good enough and it's difficult to describe, so I'm posting a picture.

You may wonder what is the reason for all this fuss about the handle shape. Well, for me the handle is fundamental, at it determines how the blade feels in hand. The effect of those wide flat surfaces and sharp edges is that, by only holding the blade and having your fingertips resting on the wide surface and feeling the sharp edge, you instantly and perfectly know what angle you are holding the blade. Moreover, the smooth finish of the handle even increases this effect, as you cannot feel the texture of wood. Holding Calix is not natural to the point you forget about the handle, as in Lissom: holding Calix feels like you are holding a precision instrument, sharp and lethal, and your fingers constantly give you feedback as to what angle you are holding the blade. I dare to call this feeling "robotic". I like this very much and wonder why this shape is not more widely adopted.
Edit: actually, after many more sessions with Calix, I can confirm that it keeps feeling like holding a precision instrument, but I've started disliking this feeling, as it never completely feels natural in my hand. In other words, feeling these sharp edges constantly remind me that I'm holding an artefact, and the blade never becomes a natural extension of my arm. I've now bought a FL Calix, the handle of which has a smoother cross section, and I like better how it feels in my hand.

Edit: added part II.

I have trained with Calix a few times now and had a comparison training session with my Lissom (ST, 83g). Both blades had the same rubbers: XIOM Vega Pro 2.0 on FH and Nittaku Hi Super Drive 1.9 on BH. BTW, my Calix weighs 84g on my scale and 85g on nexy.com's.

I will throw into the comparison a few more blades that I have previously played with (with the same rubbers as above): Nittaku Acoustic (1st generation, black nailed metal tag, ST, 85g), Nittaku Violin (2st generation, black nailed metal tag, ST, 87g). However I only have compared Calix with Lissom directly, so the comparison with the Nittaku blades may not be totally accurate.

Some more data about Calix:
Construction: 7 ply: 5 wood + 2 carbon. Outer ply: mahagoni; core: kiri. Burned walnut - ayous - carbon - kiri - carbon - ayous - burned walnut.
On my Calix, resonance frequency at the ball bounce test is 1310 Hz, which is higher than Lissom (1180Hz) and about in the same range as Nexy Color, OSP Virtuoso, and Nittaku Acoustic and Tenor, which is pretty interesting for me. I expect the blade to be a bit stiffer than Lissom in the short game (at low speed) but considerably less stiff than the other carbon blades I played with, which all were in the 1550-1650Hz range.
PS: If you wonder how I measured the frequency, it's actually very easy: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38419 - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38419

Balance: Calix feels slightly more head-balanced than Lissom, but then the rubbers on Calix are cut quite generously and Lissom is rather handle-balanced, so I'd say the balance of Calix is neutral. This is mainly due to the thinness of the blade. As a further comparison, Nittaku Acoustic feels a bit more head-balanced than Calix, without being overly head-heavy, though. Sequence: handle-balanced | Violin | Lissom | Calix | Acoustic | head-balanced

Vibrations: Although as I will explain, the playing characteristics of Calix are not the same as other carbon blades I had played with (Yinhe/Galaxy T-7, Yinhe/Galaxy K-3, Butterfly M. Maze OFF), the vibrations transmitted by Calix to the hand are typically influenced by the presence of the carbon layer: each hit has a strong, sharp onset which is quickly dampened and disappears. So you feel each hit very distinctly, especially at higher speeds, but only for a short moment. In comparison, the vibrations of Lissom have a duller onset but last much longer.
Vibration max intensity: Acoustic < Lissom < Violin < Calix
Vibration duration: Calix < Acoustic < Violin < Lissom

Speed: Calix flexes considerably, meaning that at high speeds there is a noticeable kick (catapult effect). Moreover, the carbon layers are close to the core layer, akin to the Butterfly Innerforce series, rather than under the surface layer, as in the other carbon blades I tested. This means that at slow speed and angled impact (brush loop, push, chop) the blade behaves like a wood only blade, while at higher speeds it behaves like a carbon blade with quite some flex. Calix also has considerable damping power for a carbon blade, making it easy to land some lethal drop shots.
If you are used to linear blades, think of thick and stiff blades, this may require some adjustment and you may not like it. On the other hand, the positive side is that it allows to vary the pace of the game at your liking, depending on how hard you decide to hit the ball. This means that you need to block actively if you want to make fast blocks and that you have to be careful about how hard you hit.
At low speed impact (slowest speed): Violin = Lissom < Calix < Acoustic
At high speed impact (max speed): Violin < Lissom < Acoustic < Calix

Part III will be about different types of shots.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 at 10:43am
Antiq, it is cool that you were also able to walk right up to Nexy HQ and do your thing. He always has test modles lying around to try out in his test room. I really liked Aurus on Nexy's blades, also Genius. You were just passing through, or can I get a hit with you sometime?

arg0, thanks for your first installment of your detailed review.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 at 11:27am
arg0 I would agree with you the handle on the Calix is just so correct in feeling and your description of precision instrument is quite correct. But more importantly you are not aware of the blade while playing as the blade becomes more of an extension of your arm. I would say a lot of thought went into this design of both the Spartacus and Calix handles.

I would like to see a comparison of both Spartacus and Calix from other testers even though both blades are quite different in their playing characteristics. I am aiming to do a comparison before the end of this month.

arg0 I look forward to the rest of your review.

-------------
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 12/20/2011 at 10:42am
Just get a chance to play with Calix again.

Weird but true - I feel like when I was in good position and did a full chop the ball was heavy but when not really in good position and just snap my wrist to chop it it's very heavy.
As a defensive blade : Lissom is more stable maybe because of lack of bending and kicking but it's more fun playing with Calix. With the bending and kicking, I feel like I'm a magician controlling spin on the ball 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqiNCh1mGI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqiNCh1mGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnqXc6qk2M - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnqXc6qk2M

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Posted By: fourcourts
Date Posted: 12/20/2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Visited Nexy office last week and look at the calix. Very well made and its a beauty. The blade is very thin. Since Mr Moon had a ready setup, I decided to take it for a quick spin... The blade was setup with Tihbar 1Q and Aurus Soft. Very nice feel with the FH and BH hit..... The initial trial is so comfy that ended up I got myself 2 calix.

My initial test this evening... the blade was setup with Mercury 2 FH and Thor BH, since they were lying around for a while..

Short and Long Push is good, and spinny. FH loop is loaded with power, the bat flex when you hit hard, thus projecting more power. Very nice combo, will definitely stick to this combo for quite a while...

IMO, the blade should goes well with soft or medium soft rubbers... Never regret getting 2 lol...

Hello, Antiq. Greetings from Washington, DC! I had to leave Singapore early. But thanks for being my ping pong guide during my visit. Videos coming soon

I did get to try Antiq's Nexy Calix so I'll share a few insights. But I flipped it around instead and used the black Palio Thor's on the FH and red Mercury 2 on the BH. I played about seven games with it.

Likes: good power on the FH. Fast but with some dwell. If I were to compare it to another blade, it would be a Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon. Fast but with some absorption. I really liked it on the BH. I like to transition from block to quick counterhit or counterloop and if the blade is too fast, the ball flies out. I did not have that problem with the Calix/Mercury 2 combo. Overall, I see this combo as a topspin machine with plenty of power when and if you decide to finish the point.

Dislikes: The price tag. I also did not have enough time to really test the short game. It felt fine on FH serves and short service returns. I wish I had some time to do an in-depth test of pushes and flips. Antiq did have some heavy BH pushes with the Thor's. I also did not have time to really test its BH looping capabilities.

-------------
https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Diplomat-American-Soldier-Colombia-ebook/dp/B0B36N3XZD/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1680184362&refinements=p_27%3ARaul+Rasay&s=digital-text&sr=1-1&text=Raul+Rasay" rel="nofollow - My New Book

Posted By: Antiq
Date Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:14am
You're welcome.... good to know that you have reach home safe and sound... Cheers!

-------------
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...

Date Posted: 12/21/2011 at 9:25am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Just get a chance to play with Calix again.

Weird but true - I feel like when I was in good position and did a full chop the ball was heavy but when not really in good position and just snap my wrist to chop it it's very heavy.
As a defensive blade : Lissom is more stable maybe because of lack of bending and kicking but it's more fun playing with Calix. With the bending and kicking, I feel like I'm a magician controlling spin on the ball 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqiNCh1mGI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQqiNCh1mGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnqXc6qk2M - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnqXc6qk2M

NO ONE should be on the other end of Bogeyhunter when he is feeling it, yet, if I run into him ever again, I will make him feel a few things this time turning the tables around on both serve and rallies.

Bogeyhunter tries out his share of equipment, but doesn't really change his mainstay stuff for matches. If he likes this to the degree he described, then it really caught his attention.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 at 2:04am
I've updated part II of my review: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=576685&title=official-calix-review-thread#576685 - http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=576685&title=official-calix-review-thread#576685

Edit: fixed link that contained highlights.
http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&KW=build+quality+calix&PID=576685&title=official-calix-review-thread#576685 -

-------------

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 at 7:01am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z

C+A+L+I+X = 3+1+3+9+6=22
22nd letter in the alphabet is V, which is the symbol of the Victory :)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 at 11:02am
< ="text/">

Nexy Calix review

Weight
: 86 Grams
Handle : A thinner Flared handle than I'm used to; but very comfortable in the hand.
Balance : Close to well balanced.
Blade Face : 156 mm x 150 mm

Thickness : 5mm

Reference :

As a reference point; I played Table Tennis regularly from 1975-1983, because there was a table tennis table in the Staff room, at work. Some of my colleagues were County standard players; so I learnt by watching and copying them. Due to a change in job in 1983; I gave up Table tennis, to concentrate on long distance running and football instead.

I got back into Table tennis in August 2005, thanks to a chance conversation whilst in a queue for the tea bar, at a football match and the next night, I went down the club to meet up with other club members. One comment was “I can see you've played before”.

As a two winged topspin player; the biggest change I noticed was the difference in the way the 40mm ball; lost speed and spin more quickly than the 38mm ball after the bounce and that took time to adjust too.

Feel :

The Calix has a crisper feel, than other 5mm blades I've played with before and it doesn't have the hollow sound; that I associate with Spruce inner blades; like the Offensive Classic WRB or Xiom Fuga, either.

Of the composite blades I have; the closest in feel to the Calix, is my 98 gram Andro Kinetic Aramid Carbon; which is a 5.5mm thick blade; with a compact blade face.

Handle :

The handle of the Calix is well designed and finished to a high standard. You don't tend to notice it, as it fits very comfortably in the hand.

The handle insert with "instinctive creation" written on it, has a dampener within the handle piece and that helps provide the Calix with very precise feedback.

Dynamic Speed Range :

Nexy made a comment about the Calix being hard to pin down speed wise, as it has a wide dynamic speed range and after playing with it for a while, I'd agree with that.

Due to the Calix having a suppressed rebound; it has a low first gear; equivalent to an allround plus wooden blade.

In contrast; the top end speed of the Calix was higher than I anticipated and I initially missed more loops from mid and long distance; towards the back of the table, than I'm used too; in the first session and I'll go into more detail on that point, under the looping section.

Rubbers used for testing :

Red and Black 2.15mm H3 Neo
Red and Black 2mm 47.5% Palio Macro Era
Red and Black 2mm Palio Blitz
Red 2mm Xiom Vega Pro and Black 2mm Xiom Vega Europe

Red 39% 2mm Mercury II and black 36% 2mm Mercury II

Serving :

With tensor rubbers like 2mm Blitz and 2mm 47.5% Macro Era; I've been happy with the spin I can generate, with a variety of serves.

I was surprised by Vega Pro and Vega Europe because I was able to generate as much spin on serves; as I did with Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64 on the Lissom, last year. That was something I didn't expect.

H2 Neo and H3 Neo were fine for serving; but surprisingly not as effective as the Vega Pro and Vega Europe. As a European, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that.

Flicks :

There were no problems playing accurate backhand flicks to the corners, on service returns with Macro Era or Blitz; however, Vega Europe took a little longer to adjust to, as I found I had to play the shot with less power, to achieve the same accuracy as I had with Blitz and Macro Era.

Flicking with H2 and H3 didn't take long to figure out; however, the quicker speed of the tensors in the short game makes it easier to apply pressure off flicked service returns; particularly against opponents who are less agile.

Pushed Service Returns, off a short serve

Good control when doing angled, pushed service returns, away from the server.

I've found the short game control of the Calix, is on a par with the OSP Expert and Stiga Offensive WRB.

Drop Shots :

For anyone with good touch; this is another area of the game where the Calix is good. It's control makes it easier to play effective drop shots; once you've forced an opponent back off the table.

My team mate is familiar with my game, but it didn't stop him getting caught out with some of the angled drop shots I played in the first session.

Looping :

Loop Drives close to the table :

During the first session I was pleased with my accuracy for landing backhand loop drives in the corners and towards the back of the table, with 23mm 47.5% Macro Era.

I also liked the performance of 2mm 47.5% Blitz on both wings on a later session too.

Likewise; 2mm Vega Pro and 2mm Vega Europe were also consistent close to the table. After twiddling the blade a few times; I found I preferred Vega Pro on the backhand and Vega Europe on the forehand.

Mid Distance and Long Distance Looping:

This was the one area of the game where the the Calix's dynamic speed range caught me out initially.

I didn't have any problem playing controlled forehand loops from mid distance, where I went for placement towards the back 4 inches of the table; but I wasn't as consistent when I tried power looping, as the carbon kick was greater than I anticipated and I found myself missing the end of the table, more than usual.

The way I got around that problem was to readjust my aim, from aiming to land the ball within 4 inches of the bass line, to 5-8 inches in front of the bass line instead.

With more playing time over subsequent sessions, I've got more familiar with what I can and can't do with the Calix and when to use it's power. The accuracy of my placement of loops from mid distance has improved to a level I'm happy with and I've also figured out how to use the Calix more effectively, for creating more spin and speed variations too.

The amount of sidepsin I can get on forehand loops, is more than I get with Mercury II on my 1990's Stiga Offensive Classic WRB from off the table too.

Of the rubbers I've used for forehand looping at mid distance, I liked 2mm Blitz the best.

Unlike the forehand; my backhand from mid distance wasn't affected nowhere near as much.

Smashing :

The power on tap within the blade when the carbon kicks in makes the Calix a good smashing blade.

Chopping :

As a rule, I find flexible wooden blades better for chopping than Carbon and Arylate Carbons; as they have a lower first gear and better dwell time.

As the Calix has a lower first gear too, than most carbon and arylate carbons; I find I could chop very effectively with it.

Feedback from others who've tried the Calix and been on the receiving end too :

Training partners and club mates who've tried the Calix, describe it as a good blade and have been impressed by it.

One advantage of having curious team mates is I've got to play against it, in their hands and I too was surprised as just how quick the speed of smashes and hard hit balls were.

I've yet to find anyone whose tried it and dislikes it.

Pros :

This is a real fun blade to play with and it's been a bit of an eye opener; as it's different in a good way. I've already told Nexy by pm; that it's the best Nexy blade I've had the privilege to test and play with.

Cons :

If you'd asked me would I pay $150 for a blade? my answer would have been no, as I already some some very good blades.

Conclusion

Having played with the Calix for a while, I recognise that this blade is something special.

Posted By: fourcourts
Date Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by fourcourts fourcourts wrote:

Hello, Antiq. Greetings from Washington, DC! I had to leave Singapore early. But thanks for being my ping pong guide during my visit. Videos coming soon

I did get to try Antiq's Nexy Calix so I'll share a few insights. But I flipped it around instead and used the black Palio Thor's on the FH and red Mercury 2 on the BH. I played about seven games with it.

Likes: good power on the FH. Fast but with some dwell. If I were to compare it to another blade, it would be a Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon. Fast but with some absorption. I really liked it on the BH. I like to transition from block to quick counterhit or counterloop and if the blade is too fast, the ball flies out. I did not have that problem with the Calix/Mercury 2 combo. Overall, I see this combo as a topspin machine with plenty of power when and if you decide to finish the point.

Dislikes: The price tag. I also did not have enough time to really test the short game. It felt fine on FH serves and short service returns. I wish I had some time to do an in-depth test of pushes and flips. Antiq did have some heavy BH pushes with the Thor's. I also did not have time to really test its BH looping capabilities.

Here are the videos of Antiq playing with his Calix blade. Yinhe Mercury 2 on the FH and Palio Thor on the BH. Enjoy.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46634&PN=1#579023 - Antiq playing with Calix

-------------
https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Diplomat-American-Soldier-Colombia-ebook/dp/B0B36N3XZD/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1680184362&refinements=p_27%3ARaul+Rasay&s=digital-text&sr=1-1&text=Raul+Rasay" rel="nofollow - My New Book

Date Posted: 01/17/2012 at 5:45am
Nexy Calix Review

Setup 

FH: T05 2.1
 BH: Cornilleau Pilot Advance 2.0

Other rubbers tried with it: H3 prov, SpinArt and Acuda S2.

Previous main blade: DHS Hurricane Hao  

Appearance

This is a B-E-A-U-TIFUL blade, I especially love the handle. Everyone here in our club love its appearance and had asked what's the brand/name of the blade. 

Throw: Med-Low

Speed: 

It's like a balsa blade, slow on slow strokes/balls, great rebound on fast strokes/rallies. One of the players here uses TB ALC with T05 in his FH, we both agree that Calix is a little faster (we just did fh drills).. 

Feel:

Ive been using allwood blades (esp 5ply) since I played Table Tennis. For the past years Ive been trying to shift to composite blades for the extra speed and solidness but ending up getting back to the allwood blade coz of the lack of confidence on the spin I make with the carbon blades... I feel that i dont produce much spin on my loops.. With Calix It felt like an allwood blade, good flex & vibration like allwoods but more solid and crispy. First time using calix I knew Im gonna stick with it. Its been over a month, and Calix is my main blade now.

Pushing:

Pushing is great with Calix especially off the bounce pushes. Drop shots is also good but it is really rubber dependent, with T05 drop shots is good, PilotAdvance is average, SpinArt&H3 was awesome.. 6-10inches from the net is easy to do with SpinArt/H3.

Blocking:

One aspect where this blade shines.. enough said :-)

Flicking

Most of my flicks are in my BH and it was great. 

Countering(near the table)

Before, I only passively block on my FH (seldom counterhit loops), now, Ive been counterhitting loops on my FH when Im in position. I have a good BH blocking, my opponents usually avoid my BH when opening or in a rally, lately, theyre not putting it on my FH especially slow spinny loops, I wonder why? lol... Counterspinning loops off the bounce is also great with calix.

Countering(mid-long distance)

One problem with allwood blades Ive tried is when I get too far from the table instead of counterlooping the ball I tend to semi-Lob the ball to avoid bottoming out.. With Calix I can counterloop confidently far from the table.

Mid distance counterlooping is great, better than my previous allwood blade coz its more solid.

Looping:

This is the reason I ended up going back to allwood blades because I was so used to its feel, Composite blades don't give me confidence on the spin I make on my loops maybe because of the low dwell time and less feel/vibration or maybe its just psychological. Anyway, with calix it felt like an allwood blade, very good vibration(but solid) and good dwell time.

T05 is great here but H3 41° and spinart is better.

Pips:

review soon... will try after our ranking this month

Rubber compatibility:

IMO, this blade is very good with very hard, and soft rubbers.  I would give 9-9.5/10 for Spin Art and HUrricane 3 41° prov,  Acuda S2 8-9/10, T05 7-8/10, Cornilleau Pilot Adv 6-7/10. I would have given T05 8.5-9/10 if I havent tried SpinArt and H3 41° after it.

I would probably have H3 41° on my FH or Spin Art when my T05 dies.

Other Players who tried my setup:

Player1 (Blade: Yinhe t8, FH: baraccuda bgslam, bh: t05fx): This guy have a very strong FH, he doesnt like vibrations on his blade but was surprised he played better with my setup and kinda liked the vibration/feel. Mostly his FH is a winner but if you were able to return his powerloop or topspin, he doesnt have a second shot.. lol..  With this blade he was even amazed he was like a consitent looper. This guy is a lot lower rank than me, I keep suggesting to him to get a slower blade and with feel blades to improve his game.. He doesnt listen.. Trying Calix made him thinking now.

Player2 (Blade: TB ALC, FH: T05, BH: Coppa X1):  This player have a good spin oriented game(especially his BH), wants some feel on his setup but dont want too much vibration. He liked my setup. He wouldnt give me answer when I asked him if it is better than his current setup ;-)

Player3 (Blade: stiff blades, FH/BH: Tenergies): "It has vibration, naaaahhh not for me!!" gave the racket back. lol... 
When I saw someone and think that a good allwood blade would suit him, Player3 would just say "Allwoods are slow, go carbon". Anyone can relate? hahah

Player 1 & 2 and the others(will post on next update) mostly agreed on what I wrote on this review.

Who would love this blade:

1.) Those who love allwood blades feel but want extra speed, solidness and crispiness
2.) Those who are allrounded players who especially have spin oriented game
3.) 

MY reviews are mostly positive because I cant really find any problem with this blade (based on my gamestyle), this blade is better than my previous blade (hurricane hao) which I had used for 3 years.

Thank you NEXY and BH-man for the great blade!

~My first time posting a review of a blade :-) 

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 01/17/2012 at 5:49am
btw, most of my TT friends here ask where to buy calix but after knowing the price they backed out :-)

-------------
Nexy Calix

Date Posted: 01/17/2012 at 6:13am
Hey wyatt,
great review, thanks!

I myself have been looking for a long time for a flexible blade that is controllable close to the table and has some more kick than allwood blades from a few steps back. I didn't try too many composite blades but Calix was the best among them. Still unsure whether I should stick to my Lissom for some extra control, though.

The only drawbacks I see in Calix are some sharp vibrations (personally don't like them much, but I understand that if a blade is thin and flexible it will necessarily vibrate) and the high price. I'm sure may more people would consider Calix if the price were more affordable. Is there anything that can be done about it (NEXY? BH-man?), or are manufacturing costs that high for this kind of blades?

P.S. About your quoted posts: just edit them yourself. You can't delete them, but you can shorten them.

-------------

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:03pm
Hi all,

To everyone who has used the Calix - I'm looking for advice.

I love my Calix in lots of ways, but the flexy nature sometimes catches me off guard.  Based on all your vast experiences, is there a blade with the same type of construction as the Calix, but stiffer?  So, carbon, hard outer (mahogony), same top speed as Calix, but less flexy?

I've been wondering about the new Adidas Avenger Carbon, but it won't be out for a few months at least, and it would be an unknown quantity.

TIA!

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:09pm
I haven't played with it, but Spartacus could meet your requirements.

EDIT: see this post: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963 - http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963

-------------

Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:25pm

I haven't played with it, but Spartacus could meet your requirements.

EDIT: see this post: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963 - http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963

Yeah, I had a few Sparts and sold them on.  They were awesome blades, but I preferred Calix for the harder feel, so I stuck with that for a good while.  I'm really just wanting a stiffer Calix.  Exactly the same blade, but with a thicker core.  Something like that.

It's probably a pipe dream.

I should just cut a blade shape out of a mahogany table and try that. :-)

-------------

Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:35pm
Right, sorry, I overlooked that.
If you're sure it will fit your requirements, why don't you ask Nexy whether he can make you a custom Calix? It's going to be expensive, but testing several other blades, trying to find the one that plays exactly like a stiffer Calix, won't be cheap either.
Or maybe he has some leftover Calix prototypes that are stiffer than the final version and that he's willing to sell.

-------------

Posted By: the_theologian
Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:36pm
you already know my 2 cents ... but for everyone else : 9-10-9

Wink

-------------
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max

Date Posted: 04/25/2012 at 7:03pm
9-10-9 is a great blade, stiffer than Calix, but surely has no hard feel.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 12:09am
AndySmith, my same sentiments with the Calix, just a bit too flexy but a nice blade though. What about the Donic Carbotox. 

-------------
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:45am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hi all,

To everyone who has used the Calix - I'm looking for advice.

I love my Calix in lots of ways, but the flexy nature sometimes catches me off guard.  Based on all your vast experiences, is there a blade with the same type of construction as the Calix, but stiffer?  So, carbon, hard outer (mahogony), same top speed as Calix, but less flexy?

I've been wondering about the new Adidas Avenger Carbon, but it won't be out for a few months at least, and it would be an unknown quantity.

TIA!

A Calix with 2mm shaved off the top of the head will be what you want, are you brave enough ?:). If you aren't brave enough I might like to buy it

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

AndySmith, my same sentiments with the Calix, just a bit too flexy but a nice blade though. What about the Donic Carbotox. 

That might be a good shout.  Or there's the Aratox RS I suppose.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 3:20am

A Calix with 2mm shaved off the top of the head will be what you want, are you brave enough ?:). If you aren't brave enough I might like to buy it
Ummmmm.  No!  My Calix has been through enough!

I doubt I'll sell it until I find what I'm looking for.  It's too good.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 6:32am
How about lighter rubbers then, that will stop it flexing

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 10:55am

Well, maybe that's worth a go.  I've just swapped IQUL for the tacky KTL Red Diamond, so that's quite a lot lighter already.  Got Shark2 on the other side.  Don't know if I can let that go.

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Donic Ovtcharov Soft Carbon
Xiom V1 (if I can find one)
Approach Nexy

-------------

Posted By: Brainstorm69
Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:01pm
So the Red Diamond is "quite a lot lighter" than IQUL?  That's good to know.

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

So the Red Diamond is "quite a lot lighter" than IQUL?  That's good to know.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm talking here about the KTL one I've been moaning about on the other thread. The earlier LKT ones were all quite hard and heavy.

-------------

Posted By: Brainstorm69
Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:38pm
Unfortunately, I guess that means you don't know for sure what you will get when you order the Red Diamond now.

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Unfortunately, I guess that means you don't know for sure what you will get when you order the Red Diamond now.

I'm super confused about the whole thing. My guess is that there's a tacky one (which I've got) and a grippy one, which I wanted but didn't get.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 4:37pm

Well, maybe that's worth a go.  I've just swapped IQUL for the tacky KTL Red Diamond, so that's quite a lot lighter already.  Got Shark2 on the other side.  Don't know if I can let that go.

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Approach Nexy

Didn't you order a medium sized OSP expert a while ago?

Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 5:06pm

Didn't you order a medium sized OSP expert a while ago?
Yeah.  It helped my forehand looping a lot, but my backhand suffered with it.  It has made me think a lot about 5 plies in general, so I've got a Ross Leidy on the way based on what I learned.  But I'm more effective with harder, stiffer blades...

-------------

Posted By: Rich215
Date Posted: 04/26/2012 at 5:28pm
Andy,  is the Spartacus stiffer than the Calix is....but the Spartacus felt too soft because of the Hinoki outer ply compared to the Calix?

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Andy,  is the Spartacus stiffer than the Calix is....but the Spartacus felt too soft because of the Hinoki outer ply compared to the Calix?

Yes, exactly.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:32am
Andy have you ever tried a YEO?, it's not so good for looping but stiff enough for a blocking backhand and in the speed range you seem to enjoy (OFF). Myself I'd rather force myself to learn to loop both sides and use the flexible blade

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:43am

Andy have you ever tried a YEO?, it's not so good for looping but stiff enough for a blocking backhand and in the speed range you seem to enjoy (OFF). Myself I'd rather force myself to learn to loop both sides and use the flexible blade

Not tried a YEO.  Never had the chance to see one in the flesh either.  Maybe I will look out for a JTTAA version.  I'm hoping my Ross Leidy will be in this kind of category TBH.  And I have an Adidas v1.5 on the way now as well.

Learn?  I'm too old to learn!  I just buy stuff!

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:58am
You wont find many 5 ply's with that same kind of made of spring steel feel that a YEO has, it' too fast for me. It's notably lower throw than most blades also, so you need some rubbers that are high throwers

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:07am

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Approach Nexy

Xiom V1?.... I thought you were wanting more of an ALL+ blade... the V1 is definitely not that. I enjoyed mine but it hindered my game (then again you are probably a much higher rated player than I)

It was a beautiful blade but I've come to hate the flat Xiom flared handle

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:09am

9-10-9 is a great blade, stiffer than Calix, but surely has no hard feel.

well that's true... but perhaps he could have Charlie put thin veneers of black walnut as the outers

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net