Print Page | Close Window

2300 Long Pips Pushblocker

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48354
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 10:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2300 Long Pips Pushblocker
Posted By: ChichoFicho
Subject: 2300 Long Pips Pushblocker
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 12:53pm

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Replies:
Posted By: Jonan
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 12:59pm
oh lord...please do your cardio pushblocker!

Posted By: Vihito
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 12:59pm
What tournament is this and what is his name ?

Posted By: Tinykin
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 1:00pm
Sorry, I could not get past the first game. Who won?

-------------
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Posted By: vvk1
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 1:52pm
The chap's name is "Vasko Yotovski". 

He-he ... he definitely likes to win :-)

Posted By: Imago
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 1:57pm

LOL

This is the most solid naked ass in our TT history. Wink

Posted By: Pushblocker
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 2:03pm
Definetely a pushblocker but 2300??? I'd say that the guy is about 2100 level or so..

-------------
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Sorry, I could not get past the first game. Who won?
I think he lost in the 5th.  gave the other guy a run for the money though Smile.  If he is a bit more mobile, I think he can win easily.

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Definetely a pushblocker but 2300??? I'd say that the guy is about 2100 level or so..

I'm sure lots of people say the exact same thing about you LOL

So is this your lost Russian twin? Time to invite him over to play tournaments in the US!

Posted By: roar
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

I'm sure lots of people say the exact same thing about you LOL

So is this your lost Russian twin? Time to invite him over to play tournaments in the US!

Just imagine the doubles matches!

-------------
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:33pm

So is this your lost Russian twin?
His name is Vassil, not Vassiliy, ii other words, Vasko, not Vasya Wink

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

Just imagine the doubles matches!

That would have to be played according to tennis rules... Neither pushblocker would budge an inch.

Posted By: vvk1
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

So is this your lost Russian twin?
His name is Vassil, not Vassiliy, ii other words, Vasko, not Vasya Wink

Few people outside eastern Europe would appreciate the difference (and a Russian Vassiliy could be 
a Vaska) Wink. But yes, he's Bulgarian, not Russian. 

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 3:58pm

He is a solid 2300 player who has wins over 2500+ rated professional players.

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: dingyibvs
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 4:17pm
After seeing his twin, Pushblocker finally realize why so many people underestimate his game LOL

-------------
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 4:44pm

The rating of the current Bulgarian champion is http://www.ratingscentral.com/PlayerList.php?PlayerName=&PlayerID=&PlayerUSATT_ID=&PlayerTTA_ID=&MinRating=2500&MaxRating=&MaxCurrentStDev=&MaxLastPlayedStDev=&MinLastPlayed=&MaxLastPlayed=&MinAge=&MaxAge=&TourCircuitDivision=&TourCircuitYear=2012&PlayerGender=&PlayerPrimaryClub=&OnlyMatchPrimary=Yes&AssociationOrganization=&State=&Province=&PlayerProvince=&PlayerPostalCode=&PlayerCountry=BUL&PlayerSport=&SortOrder=Rating&AsOfDate=&CurrentRankingCutoff=100&LastPlayedRankingCutoff= - 2549

Vassil won once or twice against Tanchev, who is a 2499 Pro Tour player.

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 5:26pm

I'm sure lots of people say the exact same thing about you LOLSo is this your lost Russian twin? Time to invite him over to play tournaments in the US!
I'm just judging based on his strategy and placement. I'm well aware that a pushblocking style always will look to be lower level than it actually is. However, as a pushblocker who is well above most other pushblockers in this country, I have a fairly good idea on what makes a good pushblocker. The guy in the video is definetely good, but I think that he wouldn't be 2300. Mid 2100 to low 2200's would be my estimate.

-------------

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 5:42pm
I figued out how to wear this pushblocker out.

Game 1, lose it. yes, lose it. Learn his timing on pushblocks and attack away from his body. If ball goes long, good, that is better. He now has to move 150 kg + of him 10m back to pick up ball (this makes him do a 90 kg bend at waist and up lift just to get the ball)  Hit as many long and by him, whether it lands on the table or not, you make him work physically the first game.

Game 2, start landing your attacks and get the ball by him, landing more than 1st game.

Keep this up for the rest of the games. By the time game 4 comes around, you have wore out his knees and wiast. He still needs those to play a pushblocking style.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 5:44pm
Of course, that means you have to win starting at game 2 or game 3. Of course, many seem to have tried this and failed. still, likely no one has tried in this manner.

As for the defibulator, i think this guy's opponents need it more than him. His opponents will like need medicine for severe headaches as well. :)

-------------

Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 6:37pm
I think that the guy's opponent was not experienced against this style. I bet thay some 2000 to 2100 players ihn my club would easily beat that guy. However, that's mostly due to the fact that they play me all the time and are used to it. This guy's opponent did all the wrong things, spinning into the guy's slick pips..

-------------

Posted By: Mike7381
Date Posted: 03/10/2012 at 8:49pm
I hate playing against a long pimp push blocker. 

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 12:24am

I'm sure lots of people say the exact same thing about you LOLSo is this your lost Russian twin? Time to invite him over to play tournaments in the US!
I'm just judging based on his strategy and placement. I'm well aware that a pushblocking style always will look to be lower level than it actually is. However, as a pushblocker who is well above most other pushblockers in this country, I have a fairly good idea on what makes a good pushblocker. The guy in the video is definetely good, but I think that he wouldn't be 2300. Mid 2100 to low 2200's would be my estimate.

Haterz gonna hate.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Smile

Posted By: Slade
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 4:14am
If ever there was a guy I would try ceiling lobbing against from the very first point, that might be it.

-------------
USATT 1700 ··· http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq4ZIfqXk9g&hd=1" rel="nofollow - 11/02/2013    ◄ ПЕШ

Posted By: Speedplay
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 6:12am

I think that the guy's opponent was not experienced against this style. I bet thay some 2000 to 2100 players ihn my club would easily beat that guy. However, that's mostly due to the fact that they play me all the time and are used to it. This guy's opponent did all the wrong things, spinning into the guy's slick pips..

This is kind of funny, cause when the same thing have been said about you and your game, you have said that it's your tactics that wins the match, while in this case, you seem to assume that it is the inexperience of the opponent?

I don't see much difference between your game and his, except for the stance.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: GoldenDragoon
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 6:14am

Why would spinning into the pips be a mistake? Not including twiddlers, I see pips as a weakness, not a strength. I haven't lost a game to a LP player for about a year, and most games were to players in a higher grade (when I fill in or play them on practice days). I continually attack their pips with topspin limiting the returns to slow travelling backspin. This gives me all the time in the world to setup for the next shot and loop drive everything that is high. I'm no expert but if I can exploit them at my level, any player who under sands the game should be able to exploit them against players on a similar level, even more so as most pips players I see would be nothing without their pips and are generally weak without the free points.

-------------
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red

Posted By: Leatherback
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 6:40am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

Why would spinning into the pips be a mistake? Not including twiddlers, I see pips as a weakness, not a strength. I haven't lost a game to a LP player for about a year, and most games were to players in a higher grade (when I fill in or play them on practice days). I continually attack their pips with topspin limiting the returns to slow travelling backspin. This gives me all the time in the world to setup for the next shot and loop drive everything that is high. I'm no expert but if I can exploit them at my level, any player who under sands the game should be able to exploit them against players on a similar level, even more so as most pips players I see would be nothing without their pips and are generally weak without the free points.

please oh please play me LOL

if the pips player is good he wont give you a high ball to loop drive....and if he is very good he will block the ball short forcing you to flick or push.....and if he has a good forehand and is fast he will kill that push back at you, and if he isn't fast he will smack the hell out of your backspin push with his pips....

it does sound like you are playing people who use pips as a crutch....and i do agree with you that the vast majority of long pip players use them to cover a weakness.....but there is still people that use them because they suit their style more then inverted, and not to cover up a weakness, but to exploit an advantage of a perhaps a natural tendency to backspin or chop....

wait untill you play one of these players....they do not have a weak point, and will have a different anwser to everything you throw at them and you will have to play a more standard thinking game instead of a steady "always win" strategy against the people you have played before.

this goes for all high level blockers...

and choppers are another story entirely

you have a death wish if you just continually spin into their pips

-------------
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 9:59am
^

Yeah, even though I'm a lower level player, with my long pips, unless I'm pushed away from the table and chopping, I don't hit the ball with my long pips the same way more then twice in a rally and alternate between over the table chopblock, flick, flat hit, and slow counter and place any of them down the line, into the body, or across the table. If you want to give a long pip user trouble, for pete's sake, lol, alternate between medium pace topspin and flat hits, but don't just keep topspinning into them X3

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Leatherback Leatherback wrote:

please oh please play me LOLif the pips player is good he wont give you a high ball to loop drive....and if he is very good he will block the ball short forcing you to flick or push.....and if he has a good forehand and is fast he will kill that push back at you, and if he isn't fast he will smack the hell out of your backspin push with his pips....

First of all, the ball don't have to be high to be loopdrived, as long as the second bounce isn't over the table, this can be done.

Second, if the pips player actually manages to keep the ball short, then chances are that the other player will return it short back to him, giving him very little chance to fh kill it, as you say.

Third, hitting with the pips can be very successfull, but A) this requires for the opponent to feed him back spin, what if the opponent feeds him a low spin push? I can assure you that these balls aren't easy to attack with pips and if you try, chances are prtty big that all you achieve is setting your opponent up for a great kill shot. B) At a reasonably good level, players learn how to adjust and are able to counter these attacks, since they lack speed.

So the conclusion is, LP is a weakness, al though some players manages to overcome this weakness. The reason LP (and anti, MP and even SP) are a weakness is because of their limitations. These rubbers can't do everything that a regular inverted rubber can do.

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

So the conclusion is, LP is a weakness, al though some players manages to overcome this weakness. The reason LP (and anti, MP and even SP) are a weakness is because of their limitations. These rubbers can't do everything that a regular inverted rubber can do.

Inverted is a weakness, because it is incredibly sensitive to spin and lacks control. It can't do all the things a long pip rubber can do and thus are inferior due to their limitations.

Also I would think given the video and the person commenting on the video nullifies your theory of strategies. Every stroke can be countered, it may require more thinking than just, "Well I just have to loop it harder" but you can figure out a way around it at almost any level, hence the existence of players such as your very own Akerstrom.

Posted By: ZingyDNA
Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Inverted is a weakness, because it is incredibly sensitive to spin and lacks control. It can't do all the things a long pip rubber can do and thus are inferior due to their limitations.

LOL That's a hell of a thing to say. I guess all top players should start to use double pips...
LOL

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 3:35pm

Inverted is a weakness, because it is incredibly sensitive to spin and lacks control. It can't do all the things a long pip rubber can do and thus are inferior due to their limitations.Also I would think given the video and the person commenting on the video nullifies your theory of strategies. Every stroke can be countered, it may require more thinking than just, "Well I just have to loop it harder" but you can figure out a way around it at almost any level, hence the existence of players such as your very own Akerstrom.

I love to watch fabian, but have you watched him lately? I would say that at least 75% of his shots are made with his inverted rubber.

No need to get offended about it, but inverted rubbers are the rubbers with the biggest potential, as they can create most variation.

I play with anti my self, and at my level, it works pretty well, but it's still a weakness that can be exploited by those who are familiar with it.

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

LOL That's a hell of a thing to say. I guess all top players should start to use double pips...
LOL

It's a sarcastic reply to his claim that all pips are inferior and a weakness compared to inverted due to a couple weak playing characteristics, and don't forget that the time when we had a pip playing world champion was barely 10 years ago in men's and women's and nearly had it again in 2003. It was such a disadvantage for Guoliang that the ITTF banned his pips because they were clearly just too ineffective when he won the grand slam.

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 4:18pm

LOL That's a hell of a thing to say. I guess all top players should start to use double pips...LOL
It's a sarcastic reply to his claim that all pips are inferior and a weakness compared to inverted due to a couple weak playing characteristics, and don't forget that the time when we had a pip playing world champion was barely 10 years ago in men's and women's and nearly had it again in 2003. It was such a disadvantage for Guoliang that the ITTF banned his pips because they were clearly just too ineffective when he won the grand slam.

I must admit that I forgot about Guliang, but still, he used SP and if you are going to be honest, which of the non regular inverted rubbers reminds most about the regular inverted rubbers? I would say SP.

We do have some rather good LP choppers as well, and for their style, LP is perfect, but it's still a weakness compared to inverted when it comes to ability.

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 5:37pm

I must admit that I forgot about Guliang, but still, he used SP and if you are going to be honest, which of the non regular inverted rubbers reminds most about the regular inverted rubbers? I would say SP.

We do have some rather good LP choppers as well, and for their style, LP is perfect, but it's still a weakness compared to inverted when it comes to ability.

Well with SP they have some inverted characteristics, but also go towards the main bonus of pip rubbers in that they are less sensitive to spin. There are still top pros who use short pips on forehand and backhand to attack with due to that, Zhan Jian uses them on the forehand, Tang Peng on the backhand, of course Johnny Huang used them on both, and there have been countless penholders using short pips and attacking well at the very highest levels. Joo showed a hint of what a top trained pro could do with long pips over the table in his match with Ryu goofing around, he did some crazy shots. Plus with medium pips, Fukuhara would be nothing without her backhand and Deng Yaping in the similar veign hit with them even more aggressively, though that style fits with the female style of play better.

Also with pips spin variation and deception is of course, much much higher.

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 9:42pm

This is kind of funny, cause when the same thing have been said about you and your game, you have said that it's your tactics that wins the match, while in this case, you seem to assume that it is the inexperience of the opponent?

I don't see much difference between your game and his, except for the stance.
There is no major difference between his game and mine except for strategy on when and where to place the ball. Again, the guy its definetely good but I think that I play strategicly better than him. it's not something that someone who is not a high level pushblocker would see.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 9:48pm

This guy's pips are obviously well worn, probably similar to mine and the reversal he is getting is more than you would usually find. Against this type of rubber, you will get most of your own spin back and the more you spin into those pips, the more soon you'll get back.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 10:35pm
I still say wear that (Bulgarian?) OX LP heavy-set dude out by making him huff and puff and do squats/inverted sit-up chasing and picking up ball and returning to play.

In Oliver's latest vid (at OOAK), he seems to be takng the ball later, much later, it seemed in order to get the ball higher to attack with pips some moar. That seemed to cost him the time he used to deprive his opponents and also reduced a little of his posible angles.

One major difference I saw in Olive's previous vids and this heavy anti-spin dude (using OX LP of course) is that Oliver used taking the ball off the bounce with his BH OX LP as a way to change tempo, make good angles, confuse the spin, and make players attack with lower percentage out of position rushed and on hte move. This dude which I will call Heavy-Anti-Spin (as opposed to Heavyspin, who is a major poster at About.com and is a high level inverted allround attacker), yeah this dude heavy-Anti-Spin parks himself at teh table and does not move PERIOD while Oliver crabs his way laterally all the time in a BH stance. H-A-S simple stands nuetral and uses his H for everything. He reaches, chicken wings - you name it. he also takes the ball al ittle early, but seems content to make his shots deep near endline and dare his opponents to attack. That works inhis local as the opponet is attack mad like rabid dog to his detriment.

The opponets who have faced Oliver before are much more aware of the pips and are a lot more patient to setup a higher percentage kill.

Eh, who cares? This Heavy Anti Spin dude seems to win his share of matches from his comps using his style and all his opponents are NOT 1500 USATT level chumps. (1500 USATT level is not a chump, but when facing a 2500 USATT player, anything below 2300 is likely a chump in all effectiveness)

-------------

Date Posted: 03/11/2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I still say wear that (Bulgarian?) OX LP heavy-set dude out by making him huff and puff and do squats/inverted sit-up chasing and picking up ball and returning to play.

In Oliver's latest vid (at OOAK), he seems to be takng the ball later, much later, it seemed in order to get the ball higher to attack with pips some moar. That seemed to cost him the time he used to deprive his opponents and also reduced a little of his posible angles.

One major difference I saw in Olive's previous vids and this heavy anti-spin dude (using OX LP of course) is that Oliver used taking the ball off the bounce with his BH OX LP as a way to change tempo, make good angles, confuse the spin, and make players attack with lower percentage out of position rushed and on hte move. This dude which I will call Heavy-Anti-Spin (as opposed to Heavyspin, who is a major poster at About.com and is a high level inverted allround attacker), yeah this dude heavy-Anti-Spin parks himself at teh table and does not move PERIOD while Oliver crabs his way laterally all the time in a BH stance. H-A-S simple stands nuetral and uses his H for everything. He reaches, chicken wings - you name it. he also takes the ball al ittle early, but seems content to make his shots deep near endline and dare his opponents to attack. That works inhis local as the opponet is attack mad like rabid dog to his detriment.

The opponets who have faced Oliver before are much more aware of the pips and are a lot more patient to setup a higher percentage kill.

Eh, who cares? This Heavy Anti Spin dude seems to win his share of matches from his comps using his style and all his opponents are NOT 1500 USATT level chumps. (1500 USATT level is not a chump, but when facing a 2500 USATT player, anything below 2300 is likely a chump in all effectiveness)
If you can beat some 2500 players doesn't make you a 2500 player.. Last year, I beat 3 2400 players (one only got to 2388 because he was unreated and lost to me, so he didn't get his actual 2400 rating that he deserved.. (his best win was about 2480 and worst loss (other than me) was bout 2400).. 
Does that make me a 2400 player? Nope.. Table tennis is a lot about style and just like me, if he gets lucky to run into players who have a problem against this style, we can beat players who are much higher level than ourselves.. Look for example at Robert Shahnazari. He has beaten his share of 2500 players, yet, his rating only averages around mid 2200's.. He beat some 2500 players and gets to 2300 and even 2400 rating level and then he loses again to 2100 and 2200 players and gets back down to his actual level. Just like Robert and that guy in the video, I can beat players who are much better than me but that doesn't make me a player of that level. My 2309 rating is surely too high for my actual level. I play about low to mid 2200 level on a normal day  and can peak at around 2300 level on a good day but I can't consistently play at that level. At least not yet..
The last video that I posted on OOAk is not a typcal match. I was "forced" to take the ball later as the opponent placed the ball very well..  Well, he also played most balls very deep and didn't give me any short balls to work with.

-------------

Posted By: diabolo
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:38am

This guy's pips are obviously well worn, probably similar to mine...

This guy is well known for baking his pips into boiling oil. Sometimes they (the pips) just fall from the paddle because the glue can't hold the oily rubber. So... u said it.

Posted By: Rainer87
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:04am
Originally posted by diabolo diabolo wrote:

This guy is well known for baking his pips into boiling oil. Sometimes they (the pips) just fall from the paddle because the glue can't hold the oily rubber. So... u said it.

What are you talking about, he didn`t say anything about boiling his rubber in oil, this is lame accusation.

-------------
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/koletis20

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:40am

He didn't say anything here, and yes, everybody knows that Vasko is cooking his LPs in boiling oil. Umpires and the federation are silent - this is the price for the show. You have to see his paddle - this is a piece of ancient sorcery art. Big smile

P.S. I have played him only once in a local tourney. This guy has bad habits indeed - he is catching the ball with his mouth, for one. Freud distinguished 3 psychosexual phases in the child's cognitive development - oral, anal, and phalic... Boiling the rubber corresponds to the anal phase. Wink

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 7:19am
Originally posted by diabolo diabolo wrote:

WOW, boiling oil... that's something new.. Never heared about that..  I know that people oil their pips to make them play more weird, but never heared about using boiling oil Shocked
The only time I ever boiled a rubber was in water in order to get that f'n sponge off a Butterfly Feing Long II.. However, it didn't work..

-------------

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 11:44am

Well with SP they have some inverted characteristics, but also go towards the main bonus of pip rubbers in that they are less sensitive to spin. There are still top pros who use short pips on forehand and backhand to attack with due to that, Zhan Jian uses them on the forehand, Tang Peng on the backhand, of course Johnny Huang used them on both, and there have been countless penholders using short pips and attacking well at the very highest levels. Joo showed a hint of what a top trained pro could do with long pips over the table in his match with Ryu goofing around, he did some crazy shots. Plus with medium pips, Fukuhara would be nothing without her backhand and Deng Yaping in the similar veign hit with them even more aggressively, though that style fits with the female style of play better. Also with pips spin variation and deception is of course, much much higher.

Certainly not! Since pips have less ability to generate spin the inverted, then it is impossible to create more variation with pips then it is with inverted. Deception, well, that is more about the stroke then the rubber.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: xander7803
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:03pm
you people mean to say that the fat guy's rating is 2300 US?

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:11pm

Well with SP they have some inverted characteristics, but also go towards the main bonus of pip rubbers in that they are less sensitive to spin. There are still top pros who use short pips on forehand and backhand to attack with due to that, Zhan Jian uses them on the forehand, Tang Peng on the backhand, of course Johnny Huang used them on both, and there have been countless penholders using short pips and attacking well at the very highest levels. Joo showed a hint of what a top trained pro could do with long pips over the table in his match with Ryu goofing around, he did some crazy shots. Plus with medium pips, Fukuhara would be nothing without her backhand and Deng Yaping in the similar veign hit with them even more aggressively, though that style fits with the female style of play better. Also with pips spin variation and deception is of course, much much higher.

Certainly not! Since pips have less ability to generate spin the inverted, then it is impossible to create more variation with pips then it is with inverted. Deception, well, that is more about the stroke then the rubber.
Agreed.  My position on Short Pips is very simple - you can't generate the spin of inverted with Short pips, so any inverted player who plays an SP player as if the pips are spin generating is falling into the trap.    No matter how much stronger an SP player is than you are, if you are an inverted player, attack every ball from the start and you will often be rewarded.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by xander7803 xander7803 wrote:

No, 2300 RC. Smile

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:25pm
what is RC Imago?

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:31pm
Ratings Central, which is allegedly higher than USATT rating.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:43pm

No, 2300 RC. Smile
I tried looking him up on RC but can't find anybody with the last name Yotovski

-------------

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:50pm
We don't use USATT rating here in Bulgaria. All http://ratingscentral.com/PlayerList.php?PlayerName=&PlayerID=&PlayerUSATT_ID=&PlayerTTA_ID=&MinRating=&MaxRating=&MaxCurrentStDev=&MaxLastPlayedStDev=&MinLastPlayed=&MaxLastPlayed=&MinAge=&MaxAge=&TourCircuitDivision=&TourCircuitYear=2012&PlayerGender=&PlayerPrimaryClub=&OnlyMatchPrimary=Yes&AssociationOrganization=&State=&Province=&PlayerProvince=&PlayerPostalCode=&PlayerCountry=BUL&PlayerSport=&SortOrder=Rating - ratings are RC . As are most ratings in Austria.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 2:57pm

We don't use USATT rating here in Bulgaria. All http://ratingscentral.com/PlayerList.php?PlayerName=&PlayerID=&PlayerUSATT_ID=&PlayerTTA_ID=&MinRating=&MaxRating=&MaxCurrentStDev=&MaxLastPlayedStDev=&MinLastPlayed=&MaxLastPlayed=&MinAge=&MaxAge=&TourCircuitDivision=&TourCircuitYear=2012&PlayerGender=&PlayerPrimaryClub=&OnlyMatchPrimary=Yes&AssociationOrganization=&State=&Province=&PlayerProvince=&PlayerPostalCode=&PlayerCountry=BUL&PlayerSport=&SortOrder=Rating - ratings are RC . As are most ratings in Austria.
I can't see his name on RC??

-------------

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 3:03pm
He is not there. He would most probably get 2200-2300 judging from how he plays against those with established RC rating. The OP is himself an RC Director, so he would know how to prior rate him.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 3:48pm
I don't know how the rating system goes there but after watching the video twice I give the fat guy around 1800 CDN which is approx 1500 US. He has no FH, no footwork, only one type of serve which could be easily killed...oh he's playing pips! In my club in Toronto 80% of the players are pips and if you'd see them play compared to the fat guy you'll think they are 3000 rated players. Now if it was a food eating contest.....I am sure his rating would be higher!!!

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:17pm

I don't know how the rating system goes there but after watching the video twice I give the fat guy around 1800 CDN which is approx 1500 US. He has no FH, no footwork, only one type of serve which could be easily killed...oh he's playing pips! In my club in Toronto 80% of the players are pips and if you'd see them play compared to the fat guy you'll think they are 3000 rated players. Now if it was a food eating contest.....I am sure his rating would be higher!!!
Are you sure 1800 CND ~ 1500 US?  I thought it's the order way around, and the 2 rating actually equal at around 2100 or 2200.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:24pm

If you play a topspin or backspin stroke with inverted, you get exactly what you see, but depending on what spin you were hitting with pips, you may get a very different spin back than what you'd expect, and there's no way any inverted has what one could call deception that you get from a pip.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:31pm
yes you are right mhnh007. i meant 1800 us and 1500 cdn

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:53pm
I hope you will not bet 100 dollars on a USATT 1800 player against him. Wink

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 4:57pm

If you play a topspin or backspin stroke with inverted, you get exactly what you see, but depending on what spin you were hitting with pips, you may get a very different spin back than what you'd expect, and there's no way any inverted has what one could call deception that you get from a pip.

Ah, so you call spinreversal and inexperience against pips for deception? Then we have a different view on deception. Deception to me is the difference between what you do and what you make your opponent think you where doing.

I don't know if you are familiar with a "dummy loop"? It's a stroke that looks like a loop but carries almost no spin at all This is mostly played with inverted, and when done properly, it's a lot more deceptive then any pips shot I've faced. Pips have more limitations then inverted, thus making them a weakness that could and should be exploited, if you are able to. Not all players are able to do this, but that don't change the fact that pips are a weakness. NOTE! I'm not saying that using pips is a sign of weakness, neither that pips are used to cover up a weakness.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: kickass
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 5:04pm

NOTE! I'm not saying that using pips is a sign of weakness

Of course not. It's using Anti that's a sign of weakness.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

NOTE! I'm not saying that using pips is a sign of weakness
Of course not. It's using Anti that's a sign of weakness.

Obviously

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 5:51pm

that don't change the fact that pips are a weakness. NOTE! I'm not saying that using pips is a sign of weakness, neither that pips are used to cover up a weakness.

lol, so what...Pips is a sign of strength then? Since they use an inferior rubber and are forced to compensate for it?

But seriously, you think that spin generating ability is the only strength in table tennis?

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 6:26pm

I agree with Speedplay. The type of rubber most capable of spin variation is just normal inverted rubber (not anti). Pips generates less spin, so you can only vary spin in a shorter range. Think about it, would you prefer to serve with inverted, or pips, if you were allowed to hide the ball and deceive your opponent by varying spin as much as you can w/o him seeing it?

Now, I wouldn't call pips a "weakness", because friction works both ways and they are also less affected by incoming spin. So it's all up to the player to take the advantages and avoid the disadvantages. In the end it's not what you use, but how you use it...

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 6:54pm

Think about it, would you prefer to serve with inverted, or pips, if you were allowed to hide the ball and deceive your opponent by varying spin as much as you can w/o him seeing it?

Serves aren't as much how much spin, but what type. Liu Guoliang had plenty nasty serves, perhaps the best server period, using short pips, and He Zhi Wen, also short pip penholder, is also known for his deadly and deceptive serves.

And sure, you can spin the ball all you want, but I'm just gunna smack right through it with my pips.

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 6:55pm

that don't change the fact that pips are a weakness. NOTE! I'm not saying that using pips is a sign of weakness, neither that pips are used to cover up a weakness.
lol, so what...Pips is a sign of strength then? Since they use an inferior rubber and are forced to compensate for it? But seriously, you think that spin generating ability is the only strength in table tennis?

No, pips is a sign of a different approach to the game.

Spin generating ability* isn't what TT is all about but it does play a huge part. To try to explain what TT is all about would take to long, but part of it is to fool/surprise your opponent so you get to control the game. Inverted rubber offers more options to do this.

*Just want to point out, I'm talking about the ability you get from equipment, there are loads of other stuff that is important to the game, such as tactic, footwork and other stuff, but these aren't affected by your equipment.

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 8:36pm

Think about it, would you prefer to serve with inverted, or pips, if you were allowed to hide the ball and deceive your opponent by varying spin as much as you can w/o him seeing it?

Serves aren't as much how much spin, but what type. Liu Guoliang had plenty nasty serves, perhaps the best server period, using short pips, and He Zhi Wen, also short pip penholder, is also known for his deadly and deceptive serves.

And sure, you can spin the ball all you want, but I'm just gunna smack right through it with my pips.

Both Liu and He are SP hitters. They use SPs not because it has great serve spin, but because SPs are better in the hitting game. Both of them would prefer to serve with inverted, if they could magically change back to SPs later in the rally. In fact most pros with combo bats serve with inverted, not pips. Sometimes they even twiddle to do that.

I'm just arguing inverted rubbers are better at the spin game, and pips can be better at other parts of the game for sure.

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 9:19pm
Well, one change drove pip players away which we should not forget.  It was the 40mm ball.  Note how all the pips players stopped winning immediately after the ball changed. 

The ability to *generate* spin dominated with the advent of the 40mm ball.  Right now, the best way to play against a pips player is to attack everything he gives you because on every level between equal strength players, pips players cannot put enough spin on the ball to deter you from attacking it.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 03/12/2012 at 11:12pm

He is not there. He would most probably get 2200-2300 judging from how he plays against those with established RC rating. The OP is himself an RC Director, so he would know how to prior rate him.
Ok, I understand.. 
Would be interesting to see this guy at a US tournament.. Foreign rating central level is not necessary the same as US Rating Central level because a determination has to be made once starting to use the system.    Does any of the players in Bulgaria have a USATT rating, so that we can compare his RC rating in Bulgaria with the USATT rating of the same player.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 4:36am

We have in our club two or three members who claim having USATT ratings at one time or another. One of them was 1829 10 years ago, now he is 1650. Considering his current age (65) this is quite a normal difference. When determining priors, I am considering the USATT ratings vids as found in youtube. The real problem is that we are a closed community and constantly beat each other, without fresh blood flowing in.

If I was to bet between you two, I would bet $200 on you. Smile

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 7:37am

We have in our club two or three members who claim having USATT ratings at one time or another. One of them was 1829 10 years ago, now he is 1650. Considering his current age (65) this is quite a normal difference. When determining priors, I am considering the USATT ratings vids as found in youtube. The real problem is that we are a closed community and constantly beat each other, without fresh blood flowing in.

If I was to bet between you two, I would bet $200 on you. Smile
It would be a interesting match.. I would definetly try to move him. His opponent in the video was unable to move him but I think that what I would do would be to serve heavy side topspin wide to his backhand. With all that reversal, he would give me back heavy side-underspin (with sidespin in the opposite direction).. Now I would use the reversal of my pips to give him a very fast topspin push wide to his forehand (the returning sidespin would also help me to get a nice, wide curve wide to his forehand. I would bet money that he wouldn't be able to handle that too well. That's exactly what I do against Dickie Fleisher and it works very well (however, everything is reversed when playing Dickie as he uses his pips on the forehand, so I serve wide, heavy side topspin to his forehand and then give him the topspin push wide into his backhand) BUT I still lose to Dicke, just closer than before I started using that strategy. However, Dickie is athletic and that guy is not. I guarantee you that I would be able to jam this guy on his forehand side which he rarely uses.. He only seems to be effective from there when the opponent would place the ball right at his forehand sweetspot.. When playing wide and long to his forehand with a loaded topspin ball, I would bet that he'd be in trouble, just because he can't move too well.. The key is to get him to open up that forehand side by serving wide to his backhand. He won't be back to the backhand quick enough to handle that fast topspin push which I would take directly off the bounce.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 11:15am
I think moving H-A-S around is a fine and dandy idea. Looks more possible on serve than on receive. I like PB's ideas, but moving him around on serve receive is easier said than done. His ideas of giving him a wide ball to go to his weakness has merit as well for a good tactic.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I think moving H-A-S around is a fine and dandy idea. Looks more possible on serve than on receive. I like PB's ideas, but moving him around on serve receive is easier said than done. His ideas of giving him a wide ball to go to his weakness has merit as well for a good tactic.
I use lots of strategic serves against my opponents.. For example, against penholders, I serve heavy chop wide to the forehand and then push with topspin against their resulting push into their backhand side.. Even against 2000+ penhold players, I can repeat this over and over again and score that way. My goal when playing this guy would be to make him eat my spin with his inverted side and the only way to get him to use it is to move him first wide to the backhand. I would serve with a lot of spin so that I'd get a lot of spin back to use it against him on his weak side.. I once did this against a 2200 level pips blocker who used sticky inverted on one side and very worn long pips on the other side.  I served heavy sidespin wide to his backhand and the resulting return, I would push wide to his forehand, forcing him to use the inverted rubber and he ended up having problem with the heavy spin on the ball.. Too bad that one year later, he switched to a more grippy long pips rubber and I wasn't able to use that strategy and he beat me LOL

-------------

Posted By: fourcourts
Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 1:26pm

Not warming up with me at the Cary Cup this year?

-------------
https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Diplomat-American-Soldier-Colombia-ebook/dp/B0B36N3XZD/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1680184362&refinements=p_27%3ARaul+Rasay&s=digital-text&sr=1-1&text=Raul+Rasay" rel="nofollow - My New Book

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by fourcourts fourcourts wrote:

Not warming up with me at the Cary Cup this year?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play this year as I have to work :(

-------------

Date Posted: 03/13/2012 at 10:09pm
Watched some more videos of that guy and he is really good.. I have to revise my estimate and agree with the 2300 estimate. In some other matches, he showed some really good offense when opponents played into his forehand..  Very solid player.. In the video posted, his opponent played him mostly through the big guy's backhand but in other matches that I saw, they played to his forehand and the guy made some great shots. Not bad for a guy of that size..

-------------

Posted By: daouddaoud
Date Posted: 03/15/2012 at 1:44am

yeaper!

Date Posted: 03/18/2012 at 1:29pm
Against Vladislav Tanchev (2500 RC/ 372 on ITTF):
http://ttfans.org/%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BE-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BB/%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BB-%D0%B9%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8-32-%D0%B2%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80-%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%B2-%E2%80%93-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8A%D0%BA-%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB-%D0%B7%D0%B0-3-%D1%82%D0%BE-%D0%BC%D1%8F%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE-%D0%B2-%D0%BA%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B1-chooo-%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%B2-23-05-2010/

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: Egghead
Date Posted: 03/19/2012 at 12:02pm
Some of the replies think they can beat the pushblock and his evil twin with some strategies. Most of them are how to attack & win. IMO, they do not play a really good pushblock yet. The ball can come at you in a sloppy fastball +knuckle curve+changeup way, cannot see that in youtube. I think all attackers should think how to play defend first this time.

-------------
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX

Date Posted: 03/19/2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Some of the replies think they can beat the pushblock and his evil twin with some strategies. Most of them are how to attack & win. IMO, they do not play a really good pushblock yet. The ball can come at you in a sloppy fastball +knuckle curve+changeup way, cannot see that in youtube. I think all attackers should think how to play defend first this time.

Yeah, when you see Peter-Paul flick and loop balls into the bottom of the net, then stare at his racket, you know there is more going on there than meets anyone's eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj310uBKhI - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj310uBKhI

Date Posted: 03/19/2012 at 5:03pm

I disagree, why should an attacker completely change his game? What possible benefits could he gain from that? My opinion is that you should always try to play your own game, regardless of opponent, but of course you need to think about what you are doing, that goes against every style but it's especially important when playing against junk rubber users.

I'm not a pushblocker, even though I have tried that style, but more of a chopper. If I can get the attacker to get involved in pushing rallies with me, I'm thrilled as I have forced him to play outside of his comfort zone, which gives me an even bigger advantage.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 03/19/2012 at 5:09pm

Both Liu and He are SP hitters. They use SPs not because it has great serve spin, but because SPs are better in the hitting game. Both of them would prefer to serve with inverted, if they could magically change back to SPs later in the rally. In fact most pros with combo bats serve with inverted, not pips. Sometimes they even twiddle to do that.

I'm just arguing inverted rubbers are better at the spin game, and pips can be better at other parts of the game for sure.

it was widely known that liu could serve spinnier serves with SP   than the rest of the CNT

Date Posted: 03/19/2012 at 7:46pm

I disagree, why should an attacker completely change his game? What possible benefits could he gain from that? My opinion is that you should always try to play your own game, regardless of opponent, but of course you need to think about what you are doing, that goes against every style but it's especially important when playing against junk rubber users.

I'm not a pushblocker, even though I have tried that style, but more of a chopper. If I can get the attacker to get involved in pushing rallies with me, I'm thrilled as I have forced him to play outside of his comfort zone, which gives me an even bigger advantage.

I do not mean change the attacker game completely; I just mean the attack-oriented tt players need to have more patient and understand the pushblocker rhythm before start attacking.
Before played a pushblocker in our club, I was thinking beating a pushblocker should be a cakewalk. Most of the returns were sweet poison Confused  

-------------

Date Posted: 03/20/2012 at 12:07pm
Then I agree with you, patience is often needed, along with focus on the spin. How ever, an attacker should still strive to attack and search for the oppurtunity to do so.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: Philior Phimellus
Date Posted: 03/03/2018 at 4:27pm
Here is a more recent video of Yotovski who seems to be in a relatively good shape, though he lost by a score of 9:11 in the decisive game.

I think that his opponent plays in the "A" group, which is one level below the top division of the country.

Yotovski's mental toughness may be underestimated at times...I once watched him come back from 4 or 5:10 down against a capable player from the Table Tennis Premier League.

@Kolev, apologies, I have now fixed the link!

Date Posted: 03/04/2018 at 5:44pm
PP,

Hold friggin' NECRO-JOB... but what the heck, the last comment is by SPEEDPLAY and damn I wish he could post more often.

-------------

Posted By: Kolev
Date Posted: 03/05/2018 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Philior Phimellus Philior Phimellus wrote:

Here is a more recent video of Yotovski who seems to be in a relatively good shape, though he lost by a score of 9:11 in the decisive game.

I think that his opponent plays in the "A" group, which is one level below the top division of the country.

Yotovski's mental toughness may be underestimated at times...I once watched him come back from 4 or 5:10 down against a caapble player from the Table Tennis Premier League.

What video?

-------------
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 03/06/2018 at 5:11pm
I agree w BH man. I am using a combination of
1. Fast dead long serves followed by heavy top and top side lobbing
2. Combined with hitting every ball I can afford to LONG off the table and making him retrieve it. 
3. Or do some short game.

Posted By: fortunateluck
Date Posted: 03/07/2018 at 7:20am
dicky fleisher

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 03/07/2018 at 5:01pm
Hard to tell much by the funny video and by only one video but i would fear our own Pushblocker much more. Pushblocker may not have a great forehand, but he plays angles very well.

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 03/09/2018 at 7:21am

Any current videos of this guy with a normal link to YouTube.

He is interesting to watch.

Date Posted: 03/09/2018 at 3:02pm
I think that is him LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net