Print Page | Close Window

Newstar 2080

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50120
Printed Date: 04/16/2024 at 9:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Newstar 2080
Posted By: GoldenDragoon
Subject: Newstar 2080
Date Posted: 05/11/2012 at 9:09am
Like a few people here I have been looking at getting a do any and everything robot that has the potential to simulate a human opponent and play out a variety of shots starting with a serve followed by a few typical returns. After a bit of searching and research I went with a Newstar 2080. It was a bit of a toss up between this and the Y&T 989H however having used the Y&T S27 I am aware of the robots limited spin with short balls when close to the table. I wanted less limitations so the Newstar seemed the better choice. So paid for it and waited.

It showed up just over a week ago now in two parcels. I got to work assembling it quickly and noticed a few things. Compared to the Y&T robots I have played with this thing looks cheap. It looks very much like it came from a $2 shop with machining marks all over the plastics where they had been cut and not finished up neatly, thin and light materials for the stand. I must say I was a little disappointed for the price considering how clean and professional the Y&T robots look. This however is a minor thing as it how it works that counts.... And guess what... IT DIDN'T! When I first plugged it in the LED display lit briefly then went out. I checked everything but got nowhere. Not happy... However this did offer a chance to sample something... customer service. I got my unit from FES so I started with some e-mails and was surprised to have an answer within a few hours! Over the next few days FES replied quite rapidly to every e-mail I sent and we went through checking the robot out. In the end I had a damaged circuit board and with a simple jumper wire my robot was ready to go. I am convinced that this and another damaged plastic part was damaged in transit and I just got some bad luck. I have got to say though that FES stands behind their product. I had e-mails coming even on the weekend. They also offered to send out a replacement power board before we had even determined it was the problem. Many people here have had faults with Y&T robots and Y&T is famous for their commitment to getting it fixed. Newstar (at least through FES) is very much the same.

So now it runs I ran through the guide a bit and did some playing with the settings. 1st and most important thing about this robot is how good the head/controller is. This robot CAN spin the throwing wheels backwards. Most experienced robot users know that dual throwing wheel robots usually produce less spin on short balls than single wheel. This is because both wheels usually spin forwards even if very slowly. I did a quick play with the settings and had balls falling just short of the net and bouncing only twice before rocketing back into the catch net. Thats crazy spin for a short ball. I also ran through the 1st ball library (default robot position in middle and just off table which is the "normal" position most robots sit) It does 3 positions of various balls starting with a dead ball, light backspin, light topspin, heavy backspin, loop drive and then comes the side spin. I tried a combo and the robot is very quick to go from one position to another so high speed rallies with varying shots will be no sweat.

The only thing I have a problem with so far is using the remote. I want to hit buttons quickly but the unit seems to have a limited speed at which it will accept commands. This makes changing things a little slower than you would want once you get used to the remote and it is second nature. However when you consider 8 memories (positions) with 32 balls EACH, 8 combos EACH, and 32 batch memory then that is a lot of pre-configured balls so you have little need for change. I am going to have to get an note book to record all these settings though so I know what it all does.

I'll let you know what I think after I use it more but so far bar a little delay it looks to be very very good.

-------------
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red

Replies:
Posted By: GoldenDragoon
Date Posted: 05/13/2012 at 6:01am
Originally posted by uelngenng uelngenng wrote:

It showed up just over a week ago now.

Yep... about a week and a half for delivery. And another week to fix the damage courtesy of EMS.

-------------
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red

Posted By: ZApenholder
Date Posted: 05/13/2012 at 7:03am
he is spammer
just copying and pasteing

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net